Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kravitz: Larry Bird, please stay with the Pacers

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Kravitz: Larry Bird, please stay with the Pacers

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|p

Why would Indiana Pacers President Larry Bird even think about leaving now?

That's a question only Bird can answer, and right now, Bird doesn't have any answers.

"Honestly, it's not even a debate around my house," he said the other day. "I'll sit down with Herbie (team owner Herb Simon) when it's all done and we'll move from there. Herbie will ask me about it every once in a while, but I don't want to be a distraction. Right now, it's the furthest thing from my mind."

It doesn't make sense for Bird to leave now, but, then, it didn't make sense for Bird, as the coach, to walk away after he led the Pacers to the NBA Finals in the 2000 season.

Now, here he is, having put together an exciting, growing young team, on the cusp of maybe winning the Executive of the Year award, and there are whispers he may walk away at season's end.

I asked him the pros and cons of staying and leaving.

"Like I've told Herbie, this is a great job; there are only 30 of them and I've learned a lot," Bird said. "We had a plan, I told Herbie it would be rough sailing and I didn't think we'd win 35 games for a couple of years and we'd make the playoffs last year. Not that I don't like the job. I really like it. But it's a lot of hours. A lot of hours. And I'm not real good at sitting in this chair because of my back. At the same time, I've got access to the trainers, so that's good."

Well.

That should clear up everything, right?

One minute, Bird talks about what he has built, how he can continue to build, how this team has overachieved this season. The next minute, same conversation, he talks about how the next general manager will be in prime position to take the Pacers to the next level of competition.

Here's my plea:

Larry, please stay.

There have been some mistakes along the way but, by and large, Bird has done a masterful, if understated job moving the Brawling Pacers into this new era.

First he got rid of all the problem players.

Then he got rid of the nice guys who couldn't play.

Look at this current team and look at how it was assembled:

He got Roy Hibbert out of the draft, trading away Jermaine O'Neal's onerous contract in the process.

He drafted Danny Granger, Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough.

He signed David West to a salary cap-friendly two-year free agent contract.

He got Darren Collison for a song.

He got Lou Amundson, George Hill and Leandro Barbosa this season for next to nothing.

And there's money available for further additions. The Pacers have the 21st-highest payroll out of 30 teams and don't have a single player whose salary ranks among the league's 35 highest.

"Well, all I can say is, I held up my end of the bargain," he said of guiding the team from The Brawl of Nov. 19, 2004, to third position in the Eastern Conference. "I know it was tough back then, one of the worst patches in the history of the NBA. Believe me, I was as pissed as the fans were. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and that was a championship-level team. It took a long time. But now we're headed in the right direction."

So why leave now?

It's like building a house from the foundation up, getting it done and then deciding to go live in somebody else's basement. Bird has done all the heavy lifting. Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of the labor, to use the financial freedom still at the team's disposal to continue growing around a young nucleus.

"I love my players; we've got one of the best locker rooms I've ever been around," Bird said. "I thought we'd win 34 to 38 games this year (in a 66-game schedule) and we've already done that (40 wins) with a few games to go."

But there are frustrations. Not that those frustrations would have anything to do with Bird deciding to leave, if that's what he chooses to do, but the frustrations linger. Among those concerns: The Pacers are second-to-last in the league in average attendance.

"I wish our fans would come out and watch our games more," he said. "Look, revenues drive everything. It's easy to sit here and say, 'We'll go get this guy,' but if the revenues aren't there, you can't compete with teams that have $80-90 million payrolls. We just can't be where we were three, four years ago when we were losing $20 million a year.

"We're in a good place. I want to tie up the guys we like for a long time, and I can still keep this together for under $60-65 million (the Pacers' current payroll is $57 million and change). But as far as going out and getting a Dwight Howard, we just don't have it."

So the question will linger: Will he stay or will he go?

Nobody seems to know at this point.

Least of all Bird himself.
    Good stuff, love the part where Bird talks about how much he loves our guys.

Highlighted parts = sales pitch to the fans that likely spawned this entire interview. Bird's obviously not going anywhere.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz: Larry Bird, please stay with the Pacers

"We're in a good place. I want to tie up the guys we like for a long time, and I can still keep this together for under $60-65 million (the Pacers' current payroll is $57 million and change). But as far as going out and getting a Dwight Howard, we just don't have it."

I guess the hope many have had, that we will go after D-Will because we could fit him in before resigning Hibbert with a little bit of cap manipulation, probably will never come to life.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess the hope many have had, that we will go after D-Will because we could fit him in before resigning Hibbert with a little bit of cap manipulation, probably will never come to life.
    or, there's a reason he said Dwight and not Deron.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

I love how many people are hanging on Larry's nuts, that just 2 or 3 years ago were calling for his head.

"What have you done for me lately" attitude, smh.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    I love how many people are hanging on Larry's nuts, that just 2 or 3 years ago were calling for his head.

Come on man, this is how it is in all of sports (and rightfully so IMHO).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

2 to 3 years ago we kept hearing about this mythical 3-year plan while having to watch JOB coach and then get his contract extended while our starting PF launched 5 3-pointers a night and kept getting articles written about how serious he was about his rebounds as he forgot to get serious about playing post defense.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sounds like his back will dictate whether he stays or not. His head and heart seem to be in it for a while longer, but his back seems to be truly bothering him.

2 to 3 years ago we kept hearing about this mythical 3-year plan while having to watch JOB coach and then get his contract extended while our starting PF launched 5 3-pointers a night and kept getting articles written about how serious he was about his rebounds as he forgot to get serious about playing post defense.
    It was never mythical, but it was frequently misunderstood. I literally had David Morway explain it to me about 2 years ago, and they stuck with it.

A lot of people misinterpreted it to mean this, that, or the other, but it was only ever about doing exactly what they ended up doing: Keep trying to draft well, try to get those guys playoff experience if at all possible, then shed the bloated salaries and spend that money on better veteran pieces to then be ready to win again. That's what happened.

13. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

It's not Larry's fault that people weren't actually listening to what the plan was.

It was a 3 year plan on getting the Pacers back to square one. Not a 3 year plan on getting back to contending for a title. What was said, and what was heard weren't on the same level.

Larry has done exactly what he said he was going to do.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    or, there's a reason he said Dwight and not Deron.

Anything could happen. But from all indications all through this season, Bird will re-sign most of the players needing signing and will go after the bargain players for fill in. Trades would be made to obtain a C/SF/and or PG.

But, I wouldn't rule anything out. I suspect (and maybe hope for) a trade of DC and/or Hans. DC will go if Hill is signed. Hans will go because he may want a bigger contract that he hasn't earned. Barbosa has proven too valuable to not sign again. And Hibbert is practically irreplaceable.

You caught that too. As soon as I read about money and Howard, my thoughts were Bird isn't going to spend the money on D'Will.

Now, some won't get get the message or are just adamant about getting D'Will, so we'll read all off season about needing to get D'Will. Unless Bird can get him at a bargain basement price, D'Will won't be donning on a Pacers uni as revenues aren't there to do it, and Herb isn't going to go into LT Land.

It just blows my mind Bird calls Herb Simon, Herbie. He's what 80 years old?He called O'Brien Jimmy too. That's exactly why I referred to O'Brien as Jimmy.

At least it sounds like Steve Nash may still fit in the budget

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    Anything could happen. But from all indications all through this season, Bird will re-sign most of the players needing signing and will go after the bargain players for fill in. Trades would be made to obtain a C/SF/and or PG.

But, I wouldn't rule anything out. I suspect (and maybe hope for) a trade of DC and/or Hans. DC will go if Hill is signed. Hans will go because he may want a bigger contract that he hasn't earned. Barbosa has proven too valuable to not sign again. And Hibbert is practically irreplaceable.
    And why spend the last 3 years grooming him, just to let him walk? Not gonna happen.

I don't understand why LTP is frustrated that people who wanted Larry gone 3 years ago like him now. What has changed? Paul George, Vogel, West, Barbosa, George Hill. To name a few things.

Before it was all talk, there wasn't any evidence this was working. Now it is much more clear that Larry had a great plan and stuck with it. It's bad that people are recognizing that and changing their tune? Or do you want them all to apologize to the board for questioning Larry?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah, because the Magic are really tearing it up with Dwight Howard right now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yeah, because the Magic are really tearing it up with Dwight Howard right now.
    And New Jersey with Deron...and NY with Melo/Amare...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

I'm still not a fan of Bird the FO guy, BUT I do give him kudos/credit when he earns it. I haven't liked all his decisions, but he does have the Pacers 40-22 in 3rd play. When things are going right, it makes him look better, but I won't go Rumplestiltskin if he leaves.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's not Larry's fault that people weren't actually listening to what the plan was.

It was a 3 year plan on getting the Pacers back to square one. Not a 3 year plan on getting back to contending for a title. What was said, and what was heard weren't on the same level.

Larry has done exactly what he said he was going to do.
    Personally I never had a problem with Larry. I thought he was slow the pull the trigger sometimes, but none of the moves he made were bad so i was okay with it assuming we would make progress.

What I was trying to say is that regardless of understanding the plan, it was hard to see what was happening when we still had bad contracts on bad players with a terrible coach. Also, their plan included at least making a run at the playoffs last year. If he finally hadn't fired O'Brien, we would have (probably) had our worse season with him yet. And this was with him refusing to give guaranteed, steady minutes to promising young players. With the exception of Brandon Rush.
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Is this really how some of you are going to react to that? It's not a shock if you pay attention to projected salaries. The cost of keeping what we have together, without figuring in future picks or free agents, is going to go up. If we want to keep Hill and/or Roy, we will have to pay them more to stay. In a couple of years, it'll be Paul George's turn, and if he's anywhere close to what we think he might be, he will probably be Danny-level money by himself. If they opt to keep DC, he will cost more in a year. Tyler too.

To try to add an expensive free agent on top of what we already have, if they don't want to lose any of the above, or even just MOST of the above, then you're setting yourself up to be a tax payer, which is now a more dangerous game than ever starting in another year because of the new CBA. It's not simply dollar for dollar anymore.

If we want to keep all or most of this core while adding a max-ish kind of contract, we're going to have to cut at least one or two players out of the core.

And maybe they will. Maybe we'll let Hill go, let West leave next summer, and let Tyler walk, too. But it's going to have to be one or the other; they can't keep most/all of these guys AND get another expensive piece. Not practically speaking, no. It's too expensive for a team that loses a lot of money.

If the Pacers were to somehow discover a way to boost revenue by 20+ million dollars per year, then yeah I'm sure they'd be much more open to paying into the tax, but that isn't going to happen.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

At the end of the day, assuming Deron doesn't come to Indy, it'll still be more about him not wanting to be here than us not being able to afford him. We could easily give him the max. and extend Roy and still be at Bird's $65 mil price range. Hill would be gone, and we'd probably give away Collison, but it wouldn't matter. But that would involve Deron choosing to come here and that's highly unlikely.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If we want to keep all or most of this core while adding a max-ish kind of contract, we're going to have to cut at least one or two players out of the core.

And maybe they will. Maybe we'll let Hill go, let West leave next summer, and let Tyler walk, too. But it's going to have to be one or the other; they can't keep most/all of these guys AND get another expensive piece. Not practically speaking, no. It's too expensive for a team that loses a lot of money.
    This is all very true and even though "the core" has been great for us, we shouldn't hesitate to add superstar talent if miraculously available. I would argue that there's an inner-core of Roy, Danny, and PG that are the essentially untouchable ones and the other guys are moving parts.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

No Deron Williams, this is why I said Dragic will be the guy. He will come much cheaper at around 6-7Million per. I think Herbie wants to avoid a J.O. type contract as much as possible.

As for people all the sudden changing their tune about Bird. I recall a certain statement from Bird years ago that went "We gonna go out and get one of the best shooters in the league" = Travis Diener!

I also didn't like how he chose not to keep Jarret Jack and instead replaced him with 2 inferior players for the same amount of money.

And lets not forget he hired a coach who was flat out one of the worst coaches at the pro level, and stuck with him for 4 season. So yea we had some justification with our ranting about Bird.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Is this really how some of you are going to react to that? It's not a shock if you pay attention to projected salaries. The cost of keeping what we have together, without figuring in future picks or free agents, is going to go up. If we want to keep Hill and/or Roy, we will have to pay them more to stay. In a couple of years, it'll be Paul George's turn, and if he's anywhere close to what we think he might be, he will probably be Danny-level money by himself. If they opt to keep DC, he will cost more in a year. Tyler too.

To try to add an expensive free agent on top of what we already have, if they don't want to lose any of the above, or even just MOST of the above, then you're setting yourself up to be a tax payer, which is now a more dangerous game than ever starting in another year because of the new CBA. It's not simply dollar for dollar anymore.

If the Pacers were to somehow discover a way to boost revenue by 20+ million dollars per year, then yeah I'm sure they'd be much more open to paying into the tax, but that isn't going to happen.

I'm unimpress because I don't like front office people complaining about people not showing up and at the end of the interview they tell the same people they are complaining about, "hey we are not going to bring a big time free agent but we still want you to show up" I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways.

I'm unimpress because I don't like front office people complaining about people not showing up and at the end of the interview they tell the same people they are complaining about, "hey we are not going to bring a big time free agent but we still want you to show up" I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways.
    What the ****? They are 40-22. Would you rather show up to watch one superstar middle around the 5th or 6th seed with a ****** supporting cast or would you rather show up to watch a team with no true "superstar" be 3rd in the East and playing the best basketball in the NBA?

This post does not even make sense. It would be one thing if we were 22-40, Bird was telling people to show up, and then said he wasn't going to sign a superstar, but this is not the case. We are winning, people should show up to watch a winning team, we shouldn't have to have a "superstar" to get people to show up.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

40. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What the ****? They are 40-22. Would you rather show up to watch one superstar middle around the 5th or 6th seed with a ****** supporting cast or would you rather show up to watch a team with no true "superstar" be 3rd in the East and playing the best basketball in the NBA?

This post does not even make sense. It would be one thing if we were 22-40, Bird was telling people to show up, and then said he wasn't going to sign a superstar, but this is not the case. We are winning, people should show up to watch a winning team, we shouldn't have to have a "superstar" to get people to show up.
    Well you go ahead and tell that to casuals fans and yes the post makes sense, people are still not showing up and you like it or not, not having an star affects that.