Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 104

Thread: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

  1. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fixed...
    Yes, it does say that too. Certainly Garcon` has some upside, Reggie does not...

  2. #77

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, it does say that too. Certainly Garcon` has some upside, Reggie does not...
    Of course Garcon has upside. That's a term used for a young guy reaching his potential. That doesn't mean he is better than Reggie.

    Cam Newton has upside but Drew Brees doesn't. Is Newton better than Brees or Rogers now? No because Brees and Rogers have realized their upside or potential and can still outperform Newton.

    Upside is not the same as better.

  3. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course Garcon has upside. That's a term used for a young guy reaching his potential. That doesn't mean he is better than Reggie.

    Cam Newton has upside but Drew Brees doesn't. Is Newton better than Brees or Rogers now? No because Brees and Rogers have realized their upside or potential and can still outperform Newton.

    Upside is not the same as better.
    Actually, Cam Newton may be better than both of them....... But I get the example..... I think Reggie is about done except as a control receiver good for seven to nine yards per catch..... He has lost a step or more....

  4. #79
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you notice that Garcon` signed a contract that indicates he is a top ten talent in the NFL. Tamme may be an all star in Denver.... Those injuries are part of the reason the Colts were so bad last year. They won't be any better this year and probably not nearly as good with a rookie at the helm.... Two or less wins, you heard it hear. I would not be surprised to see them go 0-16 hard as that is to do......
    Congrats on discussing only TWO of the players I mentioned. Face it- you are wrong. Pathetically backtracking only makes you look more stupid.

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Congrats on discussing only TWO of the players I mentioned. Face it- you are wrong. Pathetically backtracking only makes you look more stupid.
    I'm not backtracking on anything. The Colts will be completely inept and could easily to 0-16. Bill Polian said today that the Colts that Luck is joining are no where near as good as the Colts that Peyton Manning joined. You smell all of the roses you want. The Colts are in for a long, long period of losing that will last at least five years and if Luck turns out to be only adequate perhaps twice that....

  6. #81
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    olblu,

    since you're a mister know it all about the next 5 years, how about sharing with us the winning lottery numbers for the next 5 years?

    I could understand an opinion on next year being pessimistic but YOU HAVE NO CLUE what is going to happen with the roster over the next 5 years. You must think you're related to Miss Cleo.

  7. #82
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,516

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    It's kinda hard to have an opinion of a new GM, let alone a new GM and head coach, and project 5 years out without seeing what the draft and FA's brings to the field over the course of a couple of seasons anyway.

    Especially true when IMHO they are at least saying the right things and if they follow thru with actions then they will be doing a lot of the things that were gotten wrong during the Manning era.

    Say what you want about the successes, but IMHO the Colts organization far from optimized on the opportunities they had the potential for during the Manning era.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  9. #83
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,846

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I will add that last year, defenses doubled up Reggie, leaving Garcon open. They did that because they knew Indy had little in the way of a QB.

    Wayne even on a quiet year, seeing twice the defense, matched a "good" year by Garcon.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  10. #84
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    With such complete turnover, Olblu it is going to be impossible to tell where we will be in 5 years; this season, depending on the draft, we could do as badly as 1-15 or as well as 7-9 +- 1 or 2. Beyond that, injuries and transactions will affect the Colts to the point that any bold and specific predictions will be nothing more than smokescreens compared to the actual season.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  12. #85
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I disagree on the fact that a rebuild would take 5 years. This isn't the NBA or Major League Baseball, where if you build from the ground up, it takes time. The NFL is much faster. Teams can rebuild in 1-3 years now. Look at the Carolina Panthers. 2001, they're 1-15 and losers of their final 15 games. By 2003, they're in the Super Bowl.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  14. #86
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Detroit Lions:
    2008 0-16
    2011 10-6 Wild Card

    New Orleans Saints
    2008 8-8 missed playoffs
    2009 Super Bowl Champion

    Cincinatti Bengals
    2008 4-11 (no, not a mistake, they also had a tie during this season, actual record was 4-11-1)
    2009 10-6 Division Champion

    Kansas City
    2009 4-12
    2010 10-6 Division Champion


    These are just a few recent examples I found of 1-3 year turnarounds by looking for just a minute or two. Are there examples of teams that are always terrible? Sure there are. But acting like it's not possible to rebuild a team in less than 5 years is yet another ridiculous stance proven wrong by reality.
    Last edited by travmil; 04-23-2012 at 08:38 AM.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  16. #87
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,805

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a Colts fan and I have been since before they moved to Indy. Wayne wasn't even close to Garcon` last year. I don't know if that is because QBs couldn't see to their left or what. I am pessimistic about the Colts for the next five years or so and longer than that if Luck doesn't stay healthy or turn out to be a star. I would put that at 50/50 or less. I do not appreciate bad management decisions. Why doesn't New England ever have to tear it all down and start over.... They are like that damn rabbit, they just keep winning and winning........ and I hate them........


    But that's what the Colts are trying to do. They are trying to be like New England and build a solid organization from the top down that doesn't completely live and die by one player (though obviously our future success will still largely hinge on Luck).

    I have a lot of respect for how Belichick and the Patriots have built their organization. 5 Super Bowls in 11 years speaks for itself. But there's no doubt they got a bit lucky in 2008. Who knew that Cassell would be that good? If Brady had gone down this year, would they have won 11 games with Brian Hoyer? I doubt it. They would have been better than our 2-14 team, but I bet they would have still been under .500.

    None of us know how this is going to turnout. But I'm certainly going to be patient as I appreciate what they are trying to do. I'm so glad that the Polians are out the door and that we will now have a coach who has a pulse on the sidelines like most other NFL coaches.

    I think you are making way too much of the players we cut. Addai, Brackett, Bullitt and Clark haven't even been signed by anyone. That tells you what the rest of the league thinks about them. Sure they were all valuable contributors at some point in their Colts career, but they don't have much left in the tank at this point.

    It's a downright shame how the Manning era ended here and we will always feel like a bit more should have been accomplished during his tenure here. The end of the Manning era is probably the most bizarre and unfortunate thing we will ever witness as sports fans. Regardless, we have still been *incredibly* blessed as fans since the team arrived here in 1984. Most of the success is because of Manning obviously, but for the third time in 23 years we have the opportunity to draft a hyped QB with the number 1 pick in the draft. That is just incredible. The first of those was a bust in George, the second was one of the greatest ever in Manning, and it's obviously yet to be seen what Luck will accomplish. But we are so lucky that we have the opportunity to see another potential phenom develop. Think of all the franchises that would kill to be in our position right now.

    For years, we heard that our franchise would be dead once Manning left and that we had small odds to replace our Montana in Manning with a Steve Young. But here we are. All of the people who were hoping the Colts would disintegrate once Manning left now have to deal with the fact that the Colts have another phenom QB on their hands. I think that's pretty funny.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-23-2012 at 08:57 AM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #88
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I don't know why you guys are going after him so hard. Peyton in his first year went 3-13. Do you really expect Luck to step in and do much better?

    The Colts are completely rebuilding their roster on both sides of the ball. They don't have an OLine worth anything, to make it worse Donald Brown cant even pick up a blitzer when it's pointed out to him. The defense is getting completely made over with players like Mathis learning new positions.

    While you guys might not be arguing that the Colts are going to be good, you really shouldn't be arguing against someone saying they're going to be bad as well.

    I fully expect the Colts to struggle this year. If they win more than 4-5 games, it should be considered a successful season.

    Is that going to be Luck's fault? No, not at all. Management picked this direction, but we should atleast be able to acknowledge that they are rebuilding, and that they are going to have a bumpy season this year.

  19. #89
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I'm not going after him for holding the opinion that the Colts are going to be bad. That's his prerogative. My issue is that he keeps making statements that can be easily refuted by cats.

    [eidt]LOL I was going to edit that. It's supposed to be FACTS, not cats. But that's one of the most epic typos ever so I'm gonna leave it.[/edit]
    Last edited by travmil; 04-23-2012 at 09:36 AM.

  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  21. #90

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why you guys are going after him so hard. Peyton in his first year went 3-13. Do you really expect Luck to step in and do much better?

    The Colts are completely rebuilding their roster on both sides of the ball. They don't have an OLine worth anything, to make it worse Donald Brown cant even pick up a blitzer when it's pointed out to him. The defense is getting completely made over with players like Mathis learning new positions.

    While you guys might not be arguing that the Colts are going to be good, you really shouldn't be arguing against someone saying they're going to be bad as well.

    I fully expect the Colts to struggle this year. If they win more than 4-5 games, it should be considered a successful season.

    Is that going to be Luck's fault? No, not at all. Management picked this direction, but we should atleast be able to acknowledge that they are rebuilding, and that they are going to have a bumpy season this year.
    Well I totally agree that the Colts could go 3-13 next year but my issue is that Olblu thinks the Colts will be bad for 5 years.

    I am sorry they will not be bad for 5 years and I would agrue with anybody who says our O-line will be worse than 2011.

    The line is bigger and meaner than it has been in a long time so I see our running game be a point of strength for this team next year. Luck aside the defense should also be a slight improvement from last year but I agree that there will probably be a learning curve for the guys.

    The homer in me thinks they can go 8-8 but I can't rule out they could easily go 3-13 the first year. Olblu thinks they will go 0-16 which to me is just silly.

  22. #91
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,846

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    This entire thread can be easily refuted by cats.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  24. #92
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,516

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    It's hard to predict the Colts will be bad for 5 years when the front office and coaching have been revamped with a new team vision, and IMHO in moves that were much needed, and we have no idea how the regime will do since we have no track record to base it on.

    Next year shouldn't be great because we're installing a new system, new players, new mindsets... etc... etc... But the question will be whether there's light at the end of the tunnel. ...And it will be interesting to see just what can be done with next season by the new regime and if they can eek out something better than expected.

    But even if they don't, it's the first season of a rebuild and a bad record gets them another high draft pick.

    If they whiff on a couple of drafts and FA pickups and Irsay seems resolute in keeping people in place then we can start talking about 5 year holes. But it's hard to predict 5 year holes when it's a CAT that you can turn around NFL teams fairly quickly and this particular group has given you zero sample size to base a prediction that the front office and coaching staff will be pitiful for years... or that Irsay will now be a meddling owner that won't let his football people do their jobs and will screw things up.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  26. #93
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I'm just saying that invalidating his position that Garcon outplayed Reggie doesn't invalidate his opinion that the rebuild is going to take 5 years, or whatever.

    In the discussion about Peyton, the term "facts" was thrown around pretty loosely, and it seems like that's the direction here.

    Yeah, you can refute his opinion on how players played with facts, and cats, but you can't refute the entire thread, which is how Kid responded, and which was the sentiment that I was commenting towards.

    It seems like you'd rather argue with OlBlu over his reputation than really the overall point that he was making.

  27. #94
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    It's more that he thinks 5 bad years is a foregone conclusion..a certainty if you will. The only thing he admitted to be uncertain about was if it was going to be 10 years.

    I'm of the opinion that being certain how the next 5 years is going to play out is ridiculous.

  28. #95
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    I'm just saying as someone that has been on that side of the group, that "facts" often get mislabeled by those who want to win the argument.

    I was told routinely that I was ignoring "facts" when I wasn't believing opinion. I was also told that my opinion wasn't medically based, when I was merely reciting the opinion of a doctor who's speciality was spinal injuries. (I'm not trying to ***** about it, it's water under the bridge, just saying I can relate.)

    When you're on the other side of the coin, you're a little more sympathetic to the process.

    And I would hope that he would argue his opinion with some level of certainity. If he didn't have any belief in his opinion, then I would hope that he wouldn't take the time to argue it.

  29. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    [QUOTE=OlBlu;1423981]
    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    There was nothing idiotic about that post. It was the truth and save it. Don't bother, I will post it again when I am proven right.......
    So, if you are proven wrong, can we then assume you will take an effing hike?

  30. #97

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will add that last year, defenses doubled up Reggie, leaving Garcon open. They did that because they knew Indy had little in the way of a QB.

    Wayne even on a quiet year, seeing twice the defense, matched a "good" year by Garcon.
    You also forgot to mention that Garcon got over 80% of his stats in garbage time against "prevent" defenses. He had almost "0" production when it was relevant.

  31. #98

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    [QUOTE=beast23;1426557]
    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, if you are proven wrong, can we then assume you will take an effing hike?
    I did not write that post (#96). That was OlBlu replying to me. I did not write it

  32. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    [QUOTE=troyc11a;1426564]
    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I did not write that post (#96). That was OlBlu replying to me. I did not write it
    Sorry... I realized that. I just made a quick post on an iPad from a remote location. My sentiment toward the original post (Ol what's his name) still stands.

    Again, very sorry for my hurried confusion.

  33. #100
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts inform Luck he'll be No. 1 pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This entire thread can be easily refuted by cats.
    Even a cat would know to pick Luck first.

Similar Threads

  1. Chad Fords Mock Draft 4.0
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
  2. Chad Ford's Mock 5.0 6/16/10
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
  3. Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0
    By Whtwudusay in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
  5. OT - Insider NFL Mock Draft
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •