Thread: Artest = No Coincidence

sweabs

Default Re: Artest = No Coincidence

g
    Last edited by sweabs; 08-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.

about the only worthwhile response to that.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Uhhhh.... no. Pacer players, in an ideal situation, should not have gone into the stands. However, things had deteriorated, were continuing to deteriorate, and spur-of-the-moment decisions were made. Certainly no one condones the actions of Ron or Stephen or Jermaine, and I'll admit they may have gone overboard. However, to say that a majority of people would not have reacted as Ron did is incorrect. A lot of people would have went after someone throwing objects at them.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BabbleOn
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why did the fan throw beer? ---> Because Artest messed with Ben -- our basketball golden boy.

So Artest started it with Ben...right? An overly hard foul provoked the wrath of Big Ben. Artest started that, no?

To that you may say, "Ben overreacted, so it is his fault."

But why did Ben overreact? That's not typical behavior from him. Seems that maybe Artest had done something to him that we couldn't see (or hear) on TV. I guess that's the big mystery...what got Ben so angry and was it deserved?

-

"So, the fan who threw the beer didn't escalate then situation? You make no sense." --vapacersfan

Sure he did. But he didn't deserve to get tackled (although the wrong guy got tackled). He didn't hurt Artest and Artest didn't have to jump into the crowd to protect himself. He was defending some kind of pride/ego whatever. He ended up looing like the ******* he is.
    Oh, but we all know the real answer is:

Pistons fans = No Coincidence.

[hr]
    You're barely holding onto "Piston fan that I can tolerate" status. Why don't you go away for a couple of days until things calm down. No need to throw any more fuel on the fire tonight.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The incident between Ben and Artest should remain on the court, buying a ticket to basketball game does not give you the right to interject yourself in events on the floor. If it was an overly hard foul (didn't look like one, but maybe it was) or if it's a flagrant, the league has a process for dealing with that. The league also has a process for deal with what Ben Wallace did.

Those fans getting involved in a situation that had more or less stabilized is what escalated this into the all night "sports violence" extravaganza I'm seeing on ESPN. There is no excuse for that.

Artest might have overrreacted, evidently players from other teams are saying they would've done the same thing. I'm not quite sure what Stephan Jackson was thinking; I'm not pleased with what I saw out of him tonight. That fan on the floor got what he had coming.

I think it was ugly all around. I've seen Rasheed get beer dumped on him and objects thown at him in Oakland. I've seen bottles thrown from the uppler deck at a Pacers/Warriors game. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. Those fans were wrong in Oakland, and those fans in Detroit were wrong tonight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think anyone would think what Artest, JO, and Jackson did is the right thing. But come on, some of those fans in the Palace are just out of control. Could you not be pissed if someone throw bottles, beer, popcon, and even chair at you?

The way the Artest, Jackson, and JO react is not acceptable but understandable; however, the fans are just totally out of line.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why did the fan throw beer? ---> Because Artest messed with Ben -- our basketball golden boy.

So Artest started it with Ben...right? An overly hard foul provoked the wrath of Big Ben. Artest started that, no?

To that you may say, "Ben overreacted, so it is his fault."

But why did Ben overreact? That's not typical behavior from him. Seems that maybe Artest had done something to him that we couldn't see (or hear) on TV. I guess that's the big mystery...what got Ben so angry and was it deserved?

-

"So, the fan who threw the beer didn't escalate then situation? You make no sense." --vapacersfan

Sure he did. But he didn't deserve to get tackled (although the wrong guy got tackled). He didn't hurt Artest and Artest didn't have to jump into the crowd to protect himself. He was defending some kind of pride/ego whatever. He ended up looing like the ******* he is.
    You Wrong after the intial shoving Ben came for a 2nd time at Artest ..then Artest is doing a interview minding his own bussiness and Ben yet again for the 3rd time throws a towel or a sweat band at Artest .

Your Golden Boy cause the crowd to get rowdy

Mood

I guess you've proven me wrong, vapacersfan. Artest acted brilliantly tonight; he obviously did the logical, reasonable thing. I mean, you HAVE to beat people up when you get beer thrown at you. Ben is satan. He's the first NBA player to push an opponent. Ron is the first player to deal with rowdy, bratty-***, out-of-line fans. And Ron's track record should be completely overlooked when analyzing the situation.

Well played, VPF...well played. Checkmate.

Next time I get rear-ended on the highway, I'm going to kill that driver's entire family. Thank you Ron Artest, you've taught me that Eye for an Eye is a weak principle. It should be an Eye for a Head, Body, Arms, Legs, Balls, and ***.

I'd like to know the posters who said those things or where Artest even condoned those things.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

I suppose it's easy for you to play Saturday Morning point guard, but neither you or me would know excactly what we would do in Ron's situation.

Mood

I guess that I'm not good at talking out of my *** then . I need to go to bed, and i hope for the both of us that cooler heads prevail.

SjA3837

One of the major reasons for the fans acting that way is because 1; they were getting frusterated the whole game because the Pacers were kicking their ***, 2; The fans had to get drunk inorder to keep watching the Pacers keep on dominating you guys

You sure did pick a fantastically accurate name, BabbleOn:

bab·ble
    v. bab·bled, bab·bling, bab·bles
    v. intr.

1. To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds: Babies babble before they can talk.
    2. To talk foolishly or idly; chatter: “In 1977 [he] was thought of as crazy because he was babbling about supply side” (Newt Gingrich).

3. To make a continuous low, murmuring sound, as flowing water.

v. tr.

1. To utter rapidly and indistinctly.
    2. To blurt out impulsively; disclose without careful consideration.

ImCrazyB

Moronic Detroit pissedon fans.

Heres a few things you should know..Take off your Piston blinders and you might find the truth.

A) Ben Wallace was emotionally distraught and frustrated..His brother had just died..and The pissedons were getting stomped by Indy..He majorly over-reacted to a small foul. I got hit with harder fouls then that playing in rec league..

B) Assault is assault..And those were molded plastic cups full of beer. Artest rushed the stands but didn't throw the first punch..He just pushed the guy. The only person you can blame for fighting hard is SJax.

C) Its not Ron Artests fault that Ben Wallace got emotional and that your city is full of scumbags.

Mood

Ron wasn't taunting anybody by laying on the table. Whenever it looks like there might be a fight or something along those lines, he always lays down to prove he's not trying to fight. He's done this before. It had nothing to do with taunting.

It amazes me that many of you are willing to let the fans off. I am with the players 100% in the fans vs the players discussion.

IMO fans have no right to throw anything on the court or at any player, I also am disgusted by the verbal abuse that fans unload on players. Players should not have to put up with that

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Agreed. I don't condone what Artest did, but I understand it.

As you and I and others have said repeatedly, Stephen Jackson's actions were unjustified, however. He was hardly a peacemaker.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If Artest wasn't in the Palace, none of this happens. Dog on Detroit all you want (side note: The Palace is not in Detroit, it is in a wealthy suburb and the lower bowl is occupied by its wealthy, spoiled citizens), but it is not a coincidence that Artest is involved. He is proven to be mentally unstable . PLEASE, FANS OF INDY, DO NOT SUPPORT ARTEST SIMPLY BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYER WHO PLAYS FOR YOUR TEAM.

I'll put tons of blame of the wealthy, spoiled fans sitting in the Lower Bowl...but please, PLEASE Pacer fans, be reasonable. Artest, O'Neal and Jackson should not be forgiven by YOU, THEIR "FANS."
    They assaulted fans who threw drinks at them -- paper cups with a few ounces of liquid.
    I was going to ignore this thread because it is so ridiculous I thought it was a joke. The logic behind "If Ron was not there, none of this would have happened" is as bad as saying if the people in the World Trade Center were not there they would not be dead.

You say Ron should have laid there and not responded. Then the drunk determines he did not get a response, so he throws a chair next and so on until Ron reacts.

When is it the fans responsibilty to act like an adult.

Ron is paid to be there, the fan pays to be there and that does not give him unlimited privileges.

Ben kept the situation escalated by not backing away after the initial confrontation. He made his point and should have let it go.

Ron walked away why couldn't he?

There is alot of blame to be had but saying it is the Pacers that are wrong is ridiculous.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail