View Poll Results: Is 10 million dollars a year the right amount for David West?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the Pacers are paying too much

8 6.78%
  • Yes, that's the right balance between the two

93 78.81%
  • No, David is even more valuable

17 14.41%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David West: 10 million dollar man?

Default Re: David West: 10 million dollar man?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    was bored so went through old thread. what he said was def. true you were very anti west and you were a big advocate of getting nene.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to get Nene. I wanted the same thing, just not at the price he ended up getting.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to get Nene. I wanted the same thing, just not at the price he ended up getting.
    As did I. I remember saying I would love to get Nene, but rather West at a good deal than overpay for Nene.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know the Pacers have come a long way when we're debating if David West is overpaid by a couple million dollars (he isn't).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    what Denver/Nene BS?
    That Denver signed him and had buyers remorse reason why they traded him to Washington that's BS, it was reported that Denver re-signed him because they didn't want to lose him for nothing not because they thought they made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    That Denver signed him and had buyers remorse reason why they traded him to Washington that's BS, it was reported that Denver re-signed him because they didn't want to lose him for nothing not because they thought they made a mistake.
    The point is that even Denver didn't want to pay him that huge contract and they were looking to trade him right away after signing him because keeping Nene on your roster with that contract is TERRIBLE.

So maybe they didn't have buyers remorse, but they didn't want to buy him. They never intended pay him that huge contract like you did. And all they got out of Nene was JaVale McGee, the biggest joke in the NBA.

Banned

The point is that even Denver didn't want to pay him that huge contract and they were looking to trade him right away after signing him because keeping Nene on your roster with that contract is TERRIBLE.

So maybe they didn't have buyers remorse, but they didn't want to buy him. They never intended pay him that huge contract like you did. And all they got out of Nene was JaVale McGee, the biggest joke in the NBA.
    Their intentions were always to trade him, smart and dick move by Denver, either way you don't sign a guy for that much if you are not sure if you can trade him and in Nene's case he was a tradeable asset.

Their intentions were always to trade him, smart and dick move by Denver, either way you don't sign a guy for that much if you are not sure if you can trade him and in Nene's case he was a tradeable asset.
    Not much of one. They got JaVale McGee... Why couldn't they get more? Because Nene's terrible contract.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Not much of one. They got JaVale McGee... Why couldn't they get more? Because Nene's terrible contract.
    I think the got what they wanted, a young prospect and cap space to sign Chandler, not many teams had that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Karl is gonna calm down his antics. He's an incredibly long, athletic center with good defensive tendencies. Assuming they keep him, their frontcourt of McGee, Faried, Gallinari, either Koufos or Mozgov, and Wilson Chandler? They're gonna be scary.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I seriously question someone who considers David West's production to be "role player" production, like do you actually understand whats happening on the floor or do you just read box scores?

David West's numbers are consistent with his career numbers, the only difference is his USAGE rate is way down, because he is playing on a team with way more offensive options. This is why he is averaging less points, it really should be fairly simple to understand.

Comparing West with Humphries is a joke, David West would be averaging 20 and 8 on that crappy Nets team. Why are we comparing West to players with no offensive skills? West has the entire package, he's deadly from mid range, he can create his own shot in the post. If all you are seeing with West is "12 points a game" you aren't paying attention.

West's production means a lot more than 12 and 6, and I'm not even talking about leadership, hes a legitimate offensive threat. He changes the way teams play you, they have to account for him. Nobody has to do that for Humphries. Any NBA GM would realize this, and realize he's well worth his contract right now.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I seriously question someone who considers David West's production to be "role player" production, like do you actually understand whats happening on the floor or do you just read box scores?

David West's numbers are consistent with his career numbers, the only difference is his USAGE rate is way down, because he is playing on a team with way more offensive options. This is why he is averaging less points, it really should be fairly simple to understand.

Comparing West with Humphries is a joke, David West would be averaging 20 and 8 on that crappy Nets team. Why are we comparing West to players with no offensive skills? West has the entire package, he's deadly from mid range, he can create his own shot in the post. If all you are seeing with West is "12 points a game" you aren't paying attention.

West's production means a lot more than 12 and 6, and I'm not even talking about leadership, hes a legitimate offensive threat. He changes the way teams play you, they have to account for him. Nobody has to do that for Humphries. Any NBA GM would realize this, and realize he's well worth his contract right now.
    You'd think this would be obvious.

I think the got what they wanted, a young prospect and cap space to sign Chandler, not many teams had that.
    Nobody's saying it's not a clever way to get a piece, although I'd argue that the move will hurt them more than it will help them (can you imagine being the next player to sign with Denver?), but it doesn't change the fact that the Nuggets didn't want Nene on their roster at that price.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I do understand that West has brought an invaluable asset to this team with his leadership (kind of like Foster for so many years or- again, Dale Davis). I understand he's worth that short contract that has indirectly lead to a 40 win season.

Doesn't mean we can't appreciate him for exactly who he is going forward after this season.

For instance: West has never been a great rebounder. Leading to games like this last one in which he grabbed only 3 rebounds leading to us getting beat on the boards.

He's not "deadly" from mid-range. He's got a decent job shot, but it is off and on. It's not always a good weapon.

It might be fair to say he's average on defense, or maybe more accurate to say he can play decent defense as long as he matches up well, but as both a shorter, and slow PF in general, it's not uncommon for him to be a very bad matchup on defense for us.

This is who West is: someone who cannot be counted on to win the rebound battle every night: A decent offensive weapon, but you're highly overrating him to consider him a consistent strong offensive weapon.

The reason he scored as many points as he did, was he had Chris Paul. You have a great point guard, as a pick and pop type of player you're going to score a lot of points. That's why Deron Williams was able to trick everyone into thinking Boozer was actually good at basketball.

West is good, but if this team wants to actually beat either OKC or Miami, they'll need someone on this team with some true offensive fire power. West is not that. Even Granger is not that. So you have to cut costs somewhere right?/

You can't give everyone on the team 10 million a year. If Granger deserves it, and Roy deserves what, 9/yr?? Then there's a 15-18m a year contract we have to use on someone who can lead us to the NBA finals. West isn't that guy.

He's much older, he can't log the minutes he once could, he can't score like he did.. It is what he is. His value has gone down. Doesn't mean I don't mind this short 20m/2yr contract. That was perfect. But after that? If he won't accept less per year, I hope we let him go. Because he'll be in the way of this team signing someone good enough to take us to the next level.
    Last edited by mattie; 04-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Banned

I'm going to nominate mattie for must improved poster of next year, great post mattie.

I'm going to nominate mattie for must improved poster of next year, great post mattie.
    Yep, that was an excellent post. Note the lack of "some (unnamed) people say crazy things" and "Well why don't you pick on Sookie" and "Troy Murphy" in it.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Too many of you value players based solely on their stats.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    this thread is at least one month too early.
    It's not quite been a month yet, but I still thought it was worth a bump.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Wow...I'm a little surprised more people don't think he's worth more. He's playing like an all-star PF and 10M/year for that is a bargain. JMHO.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's not quite been a month yet, but I still thought it was worth a bump.
    He has been extemely valuable to us against Orlando so far, but I would have saved the bump for after Miami. No worries though...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Oops. I see this was prior to the tear he has been on. I would have probably a different opinion as well awhile ago.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Oops. I see this was prior to the tear he has been on. I would have probably a different opinion as well awhile ago.
    Er...could you not put it that way?

I thought he was just kicking it into another gear for the playoffs, but this also seems to be about finally gaining full confidence in his knee (see: http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ght=david+west). I expect that next year during the regular season his usage rate will go up a bit, as will his stats across the board as compared to this year.

Way too premature to be thinking about what his next contract will look like for me. I'm content to see how these seasons play out.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Like I said on the other thread lets hope we don't have to go small on the playoffs because he can't guard his guy, like Danny I hope he proves me wrong and starts to kick some azz but so far he is getting overpay.
    Thought this was worth quoting.

Enjoy your time at PD!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Thought this was worth quoting.
    That was before we knew that Howard was going to be 100% out, imagine if he had to play Howard/Anderson or Howard/Big Baby, the results would be way different, I think is possible for the Pacers to be down 1-3 instead of been up 3-1.

By the way I'm loving what West is bringing against Orlando and I'm one of the people that wants to give him the ball more but let's not go crazy.

edit: I don't even know what I was thinking in saying that Danny proved me wrong, he is actually proving me right so far with his horrible performance against the Orlando scrubs, I guess I should do the same thing you are doing and bump the Melo/Danny thread to see what people think now.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-07-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought West was worth 10 mil and no more based on his play during the season but he's been excellent the past 10 games or so averaging like 21pts-9rebs-2.5asts-1stl. That changes his value completely if he plays like that all the time. Glad he's doing it when it counts.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publius Syrus
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."