View Poll Results: Is 10 million dollars a year the right amount for David West?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the Pacers are paying too much

8 6.78%
  • Yes, that's the right balance between the two

93 78.81%
  • No, David is even more valuable

17 14.41%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David West: 10 million dollar man?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: David West: 10 million dollar man?

If we go small in the playoffs, he won't have to guard his guy. He'll either be guarding an undersized center, or he'll be on the bench. Either way works out just fine.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Also, wonder if Ray Allen understands now?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

The only numbers I care about are 49% and 83.7%. His fg/ft percentages are solid

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He brings things to the table that were sorely lacking with this team. I just hope they keep him on throughout the rest of his career. That kind of leadership is difficult to come by.
    I would never understand Pacers fans wanting to keep an old player for a long time, why?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If we go small in the playoffs, he won't have to guard his guy. He'll either be guarding an undersized center, or he'll be on the bench. Either way works out just fine.
    Thanks for making my point.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I would never understand Pacers fans wanting to keep an old player for a long time, why?
    When his current contact expires, he still won't be "old" in the sense that his game will fall off massively. I'm not saying keep him through his elder years, but a 3 or 4yr contract would seal up his remaining window of productivity while providing veteran / half-court experience needed to win in the playoffs year over year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he might be overpaid a mil or two but I find it crazy that people think he is underpaid.

Granger is making 12. No way does West deserve what Granger makes in my opinion. He deserves to make 2 million less before he deserves to make 2 million more.

I'll go with just right. Anything more than 10 is overpaying. His defense isn't that great and it seems like he can barely lift off the floor these days. If he's worth more than 10 million while Granger is making 12, then Granger is worth 15+.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Fascinating how different my metrics are from everybody else.

If David West hit the free agent market right now, would he make more or less than 10mil? I think more, so I voted that he's more valuable than his contract.

I don't understand why you'd use his averages to draw conclusions, since its so clearly impacted by having a multi-threat offense.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

If David West hit the free agent market right now, would he make more or less than 10mil? I think more, so I voted that he's more valuable than his contract.

I don't understand why you'd use his averages to draw conclusions, since its so clearly impacted by having a multi-threat offense.

That's why it's different than. He's a good player but what is Danny Granger worth to you? Granger makes 12mil, West makes 10. If West deserves more, than Granger deserves way more imo. 10 million is the absolute most I'd pay him for what he does. It's easier to ignore because we have a good amount of cap space. If we didn't have any cap space, 10 mil is a lot for what he does. We just got an expiring contract for a 2nd round pick that averages double digits. He's a nice scorer and a good leader but his rebounding isn't very good and neither is his defense.

Thanks for making my point.
    You didn't make any point. You tried using it as a negative, when it's not anywhere near being negative.

Banned

12 and 6 wouldn't give West more than 10mil not matter how hard his agent would try to tell people that he is a good teammate and a good leader.

Mood

I don't understand why those who voted "overpaid" aren't even acknowledging this aspect. And the locker room aspect, for that matter.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

billbradley

12 and 6 wouldn't give West more than 10mil not matter how hard his agent would try to tell people that he is a good teammate and a good leader.
    I just want to know a better scenario besides signing West to his current contract. What player, for what amount of money would of been a better move, that gave us a better record and more flexibility?

The Pacers record is good for 5th in the NBA while being 22nd in payroll. Sounds like pretty good value to me.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

12mil? Stop it.
    You wouldn't have forked out an extra 2 million a year over the next 2 years to get West? What else would you have spent that money on?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

West was always the toughest player on the Hornets teams he was on. Paul may be the best point guard in the game, I don't feel that way, but I watched him disappear at the end of games against the Spurs to ever respect his heart much. West and Chandler were at least as important to their success.

When we were at the Spurs game my wife noticed that West never looked happy. I thought that was good because he was all business.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I just want to know a better scenario besides signing West to his current contract. What player, for what amount of money would of been a better move, that gave us a better record and more flexibility?

The Pacers record is good for 5th in the NBA while being 22nd in payroll. Sounds like pretty good value to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You wouldn't have forked out an extra 2 million a year over the next 2 years to get West? What else would you have spent that money on?

Humpries one year and 8mil is a way better deal.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    10 Million over two years? All freakin' day. Heck on a two year salary I would have probably given him 12 million a year.
    People only worried about his knees. Teams see his health now and apart from age he'll likely see a bigger contract on the next market.

He's worth a bit more than 10m.

I mean what is this idea that he's ONLY doing this to Randolph? Who HAS stopped West this year? Anyone?

The Pacers mix it up and go to Roy and Danny a lot, also try to keep DC and Hill with touches. Barbosa and Tyler get some sets run for them. And before you know it that's all your touches.

He's only taking 12.9 shots per 36
    Danny 16.4
    Barbosa 15.2
    Hibbert 12.5
    Tyler 11.8
    Paul 11.7
    Hill 10.7

He's at 48.4%. He and Roy are by far the most reliable inside scorers and both are attacking double and sometimes triple teams.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Stat wise, you're getting 2 points and 5 more rebounds on 5 more minutes of play from Hump. A player that hasn't elevated anybody's level of play. A player more of a punchline than a leader. Not a proven playoff vet. Never an All Star.

But you think Humphries gives us more wins than West?

Yeah, I remember you clamoring for him during the offseason and saying you expected him to really break out this year. Maybe you could post a link to that conversation?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    That's why it's different than. He's a good player but what is Danny Granger worth to you? Granger makes 12mil, West makes 10. If West deserves more, than Granger deserves way more imo.
    Umm... yeah?

I mean, I'd quibble with the word "deserves" but I think if Danny hit the market this summer he'd be looking at a pay raise as well.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Don't forget, players often put up solid numbers for terrible teams.

New Jersey is terrible. If Hump was in Indy, he wouldn't get get 11 shots a night. If Lopez was healthy, he wouldn't be getting 11 boards/game. If Lopez was healthy, Hump wouldn't be getting 14ppg.

Last season Hump got you 10/10. Not bad AT ALL. But not something that's going to change this team like West has. So, in the scenario of paying Hump 8 or West 10, I don't bat an eye at the 10.

Not to mention West is coming off of major surgery, in a condensed season, playing for a rookie coach with a young team outside of Granger. If West doesn't continue to put up better and better numbers I'd be surprised.

Banned

Stat wise, you're getting 2 points and 5 more rebounds on 5 more minutes of play from Hump. A player that hasn't elevated anybody's level of play. A player more of a punchline than a leader. Not a proven playoff vet. Never an All Star.

Humpries could give us similar wins I think, better defender, way better rebounder, 8mil for one year is a great deal.

Banned

Yeah, I remember you clamoring for him during the offseason and saying you expected him to really break out this year. Maybe you could post a link to that conversation?
    I was never clamoring for the guy and this is actually another one of his good years, is not like he came from nowhere.

He atleast stopped the lets keep Josh McRoberts threads and the Tyler Hans is the future starting PF of the Pacers theads.

How much is that worth?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank you! Humphries is a lot like Drew Gooden and Troy Murphy. If you start them and give them plenty of minutes, that post great stats. You'll also end up losing a lot games in the process because they are poor defenders. You don't have to worry about that with David West.

Sure he struggles with quick PFs like Josh Smith, Melo, or Amare, but those types of players are matchup problems for most teams. At least with West you get a good consistent effort on the defensive end of the floor.