Tonight’s thoughts are going to be ever so brief.
First a question, which will serve as the majority of the feedback this posting will receive I’m sure.
With the way they have played over the past month is the front line of Granger, West & Hibbert the best front court in basketball right now? If not, who is better?
Now to the odd thoughts which tonight will be done bullet point style.
• I could spend an hour complaining about our bench tonight, but I’m just not going to waste the time. Our starters were so good that they single handily beat the Timberwolves. The concern I have long term for the bench is the same we’ve had most of the season and that is if Tyler is useless (as he was this game) then we have zero low post options on the bench and they become a jump shooting bonanza. If those shots are dropping, look out, but when they are not.
• I am now ready to change my mind about George Hill as a starter. I was afraid to make a change this late in the year but the defense George brings to the table is just too much. He completely covers any areas of concern that we have with David West on the defensive end. In fact our entire starting lineup’s defense is just too good to mess with right now. Now the bench will be a disaster because Collison has not played with these guys at all and his style doesn’t match theirs but I think come playoff time Frank needs to do away with having a bench and starting unit separate on the floor.
• David West is gearing up for a playoff run. I don’t know why but I just get this sneaky feeling come playoff time we will see a far more aggressive and effective David West. That contract at this point in time is looking like a steal from our end.
• This is going to sound like it is nothing but hyperbole but I’m of the mind set that when Roy Hibbert plays like this we are an elite team. Danny is our best player & we need him every night as well but I think overall Roy is our most important player.
• Ironic if you watch the post game interviews from the Timberwolves locker room how many times they say the word “tough” regarding our team. Those pills are really starting to pay off.
• Also listening to them talk about our team has to give any Pacers fan some pride because they all made a point to say what a great team we are.
• Now that I’ve asked about the front court I’ll interject this small thought here, when they get used to each other and understand where each other will be on defense will Hill & George be the best defensive back court in the NBA. I’m not saying they are there now, but if they get used to each other I wonder how good that can be.
• I know I’ve sworn off of talking about him & for the most part I’ve been pretty good but once again I can’t help but be amazed that we are 17 games above .500% when our last coach could never even get us to .500%. The current team has more talent (by far) but there was enough here in the past to get closer, it’s just all in the style of play IMO.
• Seth and I were talking about his comparison to the 93/94 team when it actually struck me. This W/L % is actually better than that team. Look I live by that team, I tell everybody I know that this was my favorite team and IMO was second only to the team that went to the finals as being the best team. But I’ll be damned if I don’t have to look at the win loss column and start to question myself on this. The playoffs will be the key.
• I just don’t know yet where we truly are as a team. We’re winning, that can’t be denied, but I think a strong run in the playoffs and this current team will have to jettison up the ladder of best Pacer teams. Wow who would have thought this going into the season and even in February when a lot of us were ready to dive face first off the top of the fieldhouse.
• I don’t know how high Vogel gets in the C.O.Y. voting but I’ll be damned if I can think of one single executive that deserves a vote over Larry Bird. Nothing but smart player signings and two brilliant trades, one of which we got the exact player we needed with only giving up a second round pick.
Ok on an administrative note I need to let everybody know that there is a very high likely hood that I will not be able to do an Odd Thought’s tomorrow. So if I do kick something out it will probably be thrown in the post game thread.