Thread: Adding natural gas to an electric home...

Default Adding natural gas to an electric home...

The wife and I are looking at buying a home several miles outside the city. It's a fixer-upper, but we'd be getting a great deal on it. The one thing we'd love to change, though, is kinda petty: we both hate cooking on an electric stove. There's no way to get a gas line out where we are, so what are our options? Can you get NG by the tank, or is that only propane? Can you cook with propane on a regular gas stove? Is it worth using gas for other stuff, like water heaters?

Anybody done this before?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Adding natural gas to an electric home...

You can get tanks. I would imagine that they have them in different sizes, but my parents have a rather large one in their yard. (I know of several other people with them as well)

The gas company will just come out and fill the tank, and then you're free to use it as you wish.

Natural gas prices are dropping all around the country due to new fracking techniques. Should be a good time to make the switch if you do.

And yes, they are that ugly. Ours doesn't have the gas line hanging out there like that though.
    Last edited by Since86; 04-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can get tanks. I would imagine that they have them in different sizes, but my parents have a rather large one in their yard. (I know of several other people with them as well)

The gas company will just come out and fill the tank, and then you're free to use it as you wish.

Natural gas prices are dropping all around the country due to new fracking techniques. Should be a good time to make the switch if you do.

And yes, they are that ugly. Ours doesn't have the gas line hanging out there like that though.
    Is that liquid propane or natural gas?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LP.

My mom was in a similiar situation a few years back. Hates cooking on an electric stove. Luckily for them, the natural gas tank was already there with lines running into the house so it was just a matter of running a line from the basement to the kitchen.

The only problem I know of that they've had is accidently cutting through the line that runs into the house when he was doing tiling work out through the yard.
    Last edited by Since86; 04-18-2012 at 09:23 AM.