Thread: HUGE Favor to ask of someone with NBALP and Computer Savvy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default HUGE Favor to ask of someone with NBALP and Computer Savvy

Hello folks,

So I have an enormous favor to ask of someone.

As many of you know (and as documented in the Pacer.com guest blog in my signature) - I was a guest of the Pacers at the Pacer/Lakers game at Staples Center earlier this year.

Indeed, one of our finest wins of the entire season! Not to mention the first live Pacers game of my daughter's lifetime!

I have a subscription to NBALP, and can therefore watch archived games. Unfortunately, once a game is archived the black out restrictions are NOT removed

This means that even though the game was well over a month ago, I cannot re-watch the game to see it from the television perspective as I've been wanting to because I live in Los Angeles.

So I am wondering if anyone with access to NBALP Broadband and some knowledge of computers and recording software (FRAPS, maybe?) would be willing to make a recorded version of the game for my own private use?

I have access to FTP for my own personal web server, so transferring the file to me would be simply an upload/download thing. No need for postage or snail mail.

This would really mean a lot to me. I've been dying to watch that game ever since I got home from it And this whole black out thing is a real bummer.

Maybe I could also arrange to give a shout out in my next Area 55 audition epic to the kind soul who helps me out?

Anyways, if anyone thinks they could help me with this, please PM me or reply here and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

I am desperate to see Roy get his nose busted, but then return in the 2nd half and dominate those clowns

(Also hoping I can hear myself shouting HIB HIB HOOROY!)
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: HUGE Favor to ask of someone with NBALP and Computer Savvy

I do not have any video recording software. If YOU have access to Broadband, there is another workaround that doesn't involve distributing illegal copies .

Go here and download the program. You may have to unzip it, then run the executable file. Then you can start up Broadband. Allow it to load, then you can close the ultrasurf program (the proxy slows your internet connection).

The NBA records your IP address as you open up the window and it operates blackouts based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not have any video recording software. If YOU have access to Broadband, there is another workaround that doesn't involve distributing illegal copies .

Go here and download the program. You may have to unzip it, then run the executable file. Then you can start up Broadband. Allow it to load, then you can close the ultrasurf program (the proxy slows your internet connection).

The NBA records your IP address as you open up the window and it operates blackouts based on that.

I did some research and was under the impression that the League Pass Broadband black outs were based on the IP address/location of the computer that SIGNED UP for NBALP.

Meaning, even if you used a proxy, if you initially registered in Los Angeles, all Los Angeles local games would still be blacked out.

But I will give it a shot and try anyways. Hoping that information was wrong!

And just to clarify: I am not condoning distributing illegal copies or anything like that. I am a paid subscriber just trying to watch the ONE game they feel like denying me access to
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    I did some research and was under the impression that the League Pass Broadband black outs were based on the IP address/location of the computer that SIGNED UP for NBALP.

Meaning, even if you used a proxy, if you initially registered in Los Angeles, all Los Angeles local games would still be blacked out.

But I will give it a shot and try anyways. Hoping that information was wrong!

And just to clarify: I am not condoning distributing illegal copies or anything like that. I am a paid subscriber just trying to watch the ONE game they feel like denying me access to
    I'm usually in Pacers blackout range, I signed up in Greenwood, no real problems this year for me!

And I have no real problems with getting one game, we pay more than enough to deserve it! But the lax IP-level security suggests to me they implement the blackouts solely for the purpose of warding off potential lawsuits.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 04-16-2012 at 03:33 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

I'm typically in Indy blackout range, I signed up in Greenwood, no real problems this year for me!
    Thanks for the tip!

I'll report back with my findings later tonight.

Mood

Yeah, LP only checks when you log in. So, you need an IP that is not located in the Lakers area and you'll be fine.

Wow. I guess the information I was told was incorrect. Seems their IP security is indeed very flimsy

I am watching the game right now! Too bad it's the Lakers broadcast team, but whatever

Thanks a ton aamcguy
    (mod can delete or lock this if necessary)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

I downloaded the ultrasurf program, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Mainly because you mentioned that the proxy slows the connection. I'm getting the games to play, but the video quality doesn't look very good. Here's what I have been doing...

1) Run the ultrasurf program
    2) Click the home button in Ultrasurf
    3) Log into LP Broadband thru the IE window that Ultrasurf opens
    4) Pick the game I want to watch
    5) Wait for the game to start
    6) Close ultrasurf

Is that the right way to maximize the video quality? I've tried doing this other more complicated ways using a proxy. It takes longer, but the video quality usually looks better. Just wondered if I'm going about this the right way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    I downloaded the ultrasurf program, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Mainly because you mentioned that the proxy slows the connection. I'm getting the games to play, but the video quality doesn't look very good. Here's what I have been doing...

1) Run the ultrasurf program
    2) Click the home button in Ultrasurf
    3) Log into LP Broadband thru the IE window that Ultrasurf opens
    4) Pick the game I want to watch
    5) Wait for the game to start
    6) Close ultrasurf

Is that the right way to maximize the video quality? I've tried doing this other more complicated ways using a proxy. It takes longer, but the video quality usually looks better. Just wondered if I'm going about this the right way.

Thanks
    Basically. I do close ultrasurf before even choosing a game I do steps 1-3, and then close ultrasurf when the applet is 100% loaded. Then I choose my game and watch it.

The only other difference is that I don't use Internet Explorer...I hate it so I just go ahead and use google chrome. I just close the IE window that pops up.

I don't usually have quality issues, I just get the occasional choppiness and random green screens that users from all over also report. Maybe it is auto-detecting a lesser connection due to the proxy for you and they're slow to adjust it?
    Last edited by aamcguy; 04-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.