Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Moore is sold on Luck

  1. #1
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,503

    Default Moore is sold on Luck

    Moore is sold on Luck

    (By Bob Kravitz)

    I trust Tom Moore.

    So when the terminally understated former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator is throwing around glowing compliments, I pay close attention.

    Today, he is talking about Andrew Luck.

    "It's really none of my business who people take in the draft, but personally, would I take him first? Yes, I'd take him first and no looking back," Moore said from his South Carolina home. "That's no reflection on anybody else, but that's what I would do.

    "To me, he's the real deal. He's extremely intelligent. He was placed in a high-power, first-class program. He was very productive -- very, very dedicated to the game. Comes from a football family. He'll always be in shape, always be prepared, he'll always be willing to work. He's very aware of the game as far as coverages, protection, blitzes and things like that. And the big thing is, he not only has the ability but he's willing to work.

    "You get around professional athletes and they all talk about wanting to be good. But are you really willing to do those things you need to do to be good? And he's one of those guys who will do anything to be great. He's a guy you never have to worry about. He'll always go the extra mile."

    Take the classroom sessions with Moore as an example. A couple of months ago, he got a call from Andrew Luck's father, Oliver, himself a former NFL quarterback, asking the self-styled "unemployed" former offensive coordinator to spend some time in the classroom with his son, the prohibitive No. 1 overall draft choice by the Colts. The pair worked together for 3-4 hours a day, five days a week, for three weeks.

    Why would the Lucks do this? What did Luck have to gain when he knew he had the No. 1 spot locked up? Nothing, really.

    It was just a chance to get better, and to learn from one of the greatest offensive minds the game has known.

    "We had old NFL tapes of different teams, and I'd stop the tape and say, 'OK, you're at the line of scrimmage, you see the defense doing this, this and this. What are you thinking?' We'd go over the possibilities, what you should do, what you can't do," Moore said. "Maybe we would do that on a Monday, then on a Friday, I'd do it again and stop the tape, 'OK, what do we want to do here?' And he'd tell me, 'We want to look at this and this.' He had great application and recall from what we'd studied earlier. It's instantaneous."

    Moore knew the comparison-to-Peyton Manning questions would come, and he was insistent he wouldn't go there.

    But Luck and Manning share too many characteristics to ignore. Both are crazy smart; you don't graduate on time from Stanford with a high GPA in architectural engineering by being a dope. Both come from football families, both with dads who played quarterback in the NFL. Both stayed in school an extra year when they were viewed as the No. 1 pick. Both finished second in the Heisman voting.

    Luck and Moore did talk about Manning, how he prepared.

    "It's been well-chronicled how Peyton and I used to look at tape in the offseason and go over every play," Moore said. "I think Andrew is a guy, like Peyton, who can be very critical of himself. One of the big things to me that makes the great ones even greater is a willingness to work on things they know they need to work on.

    "Some guys like to work on only the things they do well, because it makes them feel good. It's like golf. You want to practice hitting the clubs you hit well instead of the ones you don't. But the only way to reach greatness is to be self-critical and know, 'These are the things I need to be better at.' "

    The one thing Moore and the coaches can't fully prepare Luck to face is the pressure he will encounter. He's The Guy Who Replaced Peyton Manning. He's got massive shoes to fill.

    It's not unlike Steve Young stepping in for the traded Joe Montana. Manning, like Montana, was closer to the end than the beginning. Young, like Luck, was largely unproven in the pro game. But there was the sense Montana still had some good years, as we hope will be the case for Manning.

    Some never quite forgave Young for taking Montana's place, and some, the dimmest among fans, will never forgive Luck for being available the minute Manning walked out the door.

    There is every reason to believe, though, that this young man can handle it.

    "Believe me, he'll be fine," Moore said. "He's a class kid all the way. He'll be able to handle the pressure. He'll handle the ups and downs that go with it. He knows there are going to be growing pains. That comes with being a rookie quarterback in the NFL. But he's very, very mature for his age."

    Moore saw Manning as a 22-year-old fresh out of college and loved what he saw. Now he sees a 22-year-old Luck fresh out of college, and loves what he sees there, too.

    I trust Tom Moore's judgment.

    Always have.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...yssey=nav|head
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,988

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    We already know Luck is the guy.

    What I want to know is what the Colts plan to do with the rest of the draft?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  4. #3

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    if Luck is a colt and is a bust Grigson will not be blamed but if he takes RG and he is a bust then Grigson is done as a GM...

  5. #4
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,449

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if Luck is a colt and is a bust Grigson will not be blamed but if he takes RG and he is a bust then Grigson is done as a GM...
    I think that might depend on how well the other guy plays...but I basically agree. Luck is like "going with IBM". It's as guaranteed as you can get. Going with RGIII is not as sure a bet...and taking that risk and failing will be viewed differently. But it could also be like buying Apple stock in 2002.

  6. #5
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Who isn't sold on Luck being nearly a sure thing? I'll wait.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  7. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,621

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if Luck is a colt and is a bust Grigson will not be blamed but if he takes RG and he is a bust then Grigson is done as a GM...


    Grigson isn't making the final call. Irsay is. Grigson couldn't go pick RGIII without Irsay endorsing it. Irsay has the final call on major franchise decisions (coaching/GM hires, not picking Manning's option up, who to pick with the number 1 pick, etc). Irsay isn't going to meddle into who we pick in the 5th round, but he's definitely making the final call here.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Grigson isn't making the final call. Irsay is. Grigson couldn't go pick RGIII without Irsay endorsing it. Irsay has the final call on major franchise decisions (coaching/GM hires, not picking Manning's option up, who to pick with the number 1 pick, etc). Irsay isn't going to meddle into who we pick in the 5th round, but he's definitely making the final call here.
    Irsay isn't making the decision by himself. When he was a GM he was terrible so at least he knows that he needs the professionals to help him make the decision and if he isn't listening to his own people why the hell would he have hired them?

  9. #8
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,621

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay isn't making the decision by himself. When he was a GM he was terrible so at least he knows that he needs the professionals to help him make the decision and if he isn't listening to his own people why the hell would he have hired them?

    He obviously hired him to build a roster. But the first pick isn't your average draft pick. This is a franchise altering pick and the owner rightfully will have the final say on it, just as he does a coaching/GM hire. I didn't say Irsay was making the final decision by himself. He is obviously going to solicit the opinion of coach's, scouts, etc. But he gets the final say on something this big. Grigson couldn't just say screw Irsay and go pick RGIII. This is no different than if Grigson had personally wanted to keep Manning because Irsay had the final say on that too.

    This is all moot because the decision was made a loooong time ago. We are drafting Luck and always were.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 04-16-2012 at 08:53 PM.

  10. #9
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,031

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Ya, I'd doubt that Irsay is foregoing all decision-making to Grigson regarding the #1 pick, as hands-on as he's been this off-season. I'm sure he's listening to his people, but Irsay is gonna have final say on the pick.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  11. #10

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya, I'd doubt that Irsay is foregoing all decision-making to Grigson regarding the #1 pick, as hands-on as he's been this off-season. I'm sure he's listening to his people, but Irsay is gonna have final say on the pick.
    Irsay is going with the general consensus of smart people. Of course he has the final say because he owns the team but if his people said x he isn't going to say y.

    When Irsay was young GM and stupid he gave up 2 first rounders for a special team player named Fredd Young from Seattle who played 41 games for the colts in 3 years and was noted for how unremarkable he was. I don't think Irsay believes he is smarter than his professional people. I think he learned his lesson when he figured out he needed guys like Polian.

  12. #11
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,031

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irsay is going with the general consensus of smart people. Of course he has the final say because he owns the team but if his people said x he isn't going to say y.
    I know the point you're trying to make, but you just agreed with me when you step back and think on it.

    When Irsay was young GM and stupid he gave up 2 first rounders for a special team player named Fredd Young from Seattle who played 41 games for the colts in 3 years and was noted for how unremarkable he was. I don't think Irsay believes he is smarter than his professional people. I think he learned his lesson when he figured out he needed guys like Polian.
    Exactly. Welcome to management, where knowing what you're doing in regards to the actual business at hand is less important than knowing who to employ and where/what to assign them.

    But he just wiped out his entire administration. He's a LOT more hands-on than he's ever been. He's experienced his way from a bad team to a championship team over a few decades. His resume isn't the same now... those transgressions of the '80s were two decades ago... he's earned some cred now...

    He asserted his desire to draft Luck months before his new "professional people" were even on the payroll. If it's not obvious that he's had Luck pegged as his choice for months now... I can't help ya, haha. The evidence is everywhere, quoted and quoted and quoted.

    I'm sure Grigson is controlling a lot, but in the matter of the #1 pick --- he's only an advisor. Irsay is the one pullin' the trigger on that one.

    Either way, none of this matters.... Irsay is the owner... Luck is the best player. This is a no-brainer. There is really nothing more to debate. Who really cares if Irsay is pullin the trigger on his own merit, or that a bajillion people concur with his thoughts. In this case, both are true --- He's making the decision on his own and most of America agrees that Luck is the best player.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 04-17-2012 at 12:31 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,616

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    This is one of the easiest picks ever made to be honest. You take Luck and don't look back. And this is coming from a guy who thinks RG3 will be terrific.

  15. #13

    Default Re: Moore is sold on Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the point you're trying to make, but you just agreed with me when you step back and think on it.
    Of course I agreed that the owner makes the final decision. Owners always do. Smart owners know that there are smarter people out there that they should listen to.

Similar Threads

  1. Luck Stays At Standford
    By Young in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
  2. CBS Sportsline > Tom Moore article
    By Kegboy in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •