Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-dwi...-as-magic-sink

    “Celebrating my boy @peeweekirkland bday tonight,” the tweet read. “I’ll see y’all there.”

    Magic center Dwight Howard was simply letting everyone know about his friend James Kirkland’s birthday celebration—an Orlando bash that is to be co hosted by fellow Atlanta native Josh Smith and will also feature appearances by people named D.J. Young Smitchell, D.J. Nice and BET’s D.J. Q45 (whoever they are).

    The only problem is, the Magic previously told reporters that the reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year is in Los Angeles seeing a back specialist, which is probably why the tweet was removed from Howard’s timeline. Now it’s important to note, Howard could have agreed to this engagement weeks ago and could potentially skip the event in light of his recent back issues–and there are issues.

    “It’s back spasms, basically, caused by bruising and getting pounded,” Magic coach Stan Van Gundy said on Thursday, as quoted by Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.

    “It’s not a disk problem or anything, but anybody who’s been through back problems knows sometimes they resolve more quickly than others,” Van Gundy continued. “We’re heading down the stretch now, so as much as we’d like to get everybody together and have ‘em out there and playing, we’ve also got to get healthy. It’s a tough time.”

    It’s easy to understand the consternation among Magic fans who have seen Howard miss four of the last six games, especially after reading about how precautious the team has been with Howard and his ailing back. (Even Kirkland has a right to complain after Howard’s picture dominated the flier for his birthday)

    Orlando has lost six of its last eight contests and has gone from the third seed to the sixth seed in the East largely because of Howard’s back; so any late-night celebrating on his behalf looks like a slap in the face to the fans and organization (as we mentioned, there is a chance he’s blowing this off). Heck, flying around on an airplane is a lot to ask of someone with a bad back.

    Van Gundy’s claim that Howard had been trying to get him fired is still a fresh wound, and the franchise as a whole had been jumping over itself to prevent its star from opting out of his contract this summer. When Howard decided to stay in Orlando right before the trade deadline, the Magic faithful thought the “Dwightmare” was over.

    Turns out it’s just beginning.

    For the first time in a while, the Orlando Magic go into a home game against the Atlanta Hawks tonight, and they’re not heavily favored. After tormenting the dysfunctional Hawks for years, the Magic have exposed their own infighting, insecurity and lack of direction. Now they’re the Hawks.

    The plan was to keep Howard from leaving, right? So now that he’s on board for this year and next, shouldn’t the team be free to move forward and challenge the Chicago Bulls and Miami HEAT for Eastern Conference supremacy?

    One league scout told HOOPSWORLD, that’s a lost cause.

    “I think the Magic are done,” he said. “That’s not to say that they’ll go out with a whimper, but they are so volatile and I think they’re so broken right now that they’re not a threat in any way.”

    The results speak for themselves. Orlando was 22-12 on Feb. 22nd and have gone 12-12 ever since, losing to such low-level teams as the Charlotte Bobcats, Detroit Pistons and Washington Wizards.

    In Tuesday’s loss to Washington the Magic conceded 24 points and 13 rebounds to Kevin Seraphin and blew an 11-point first-quarter lead by scoring just 12 points in the second frame and yielding 33 in the fourth.

    Without Howard in the middle to keep Washington’s defense from overloading the perimeter, Orlando—the league’s most prolific 3-point shooting team—made just 11 of 35 attempts from beyond the arc and finished the game shooting 36.6% from the field.

    The Magic aren’t in danger of missing the playoffs or anything like that. They have a three-game lead over the 76ers for the sixth spot in the East, which means they could be facing the Indiana Pacers in the first round. As luck would have it, our scout said, that’s probably the best matchup they could have hoped for.

    “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success,” he said. “I’m not going to predict Orlando would beat them, but if I’m Orlando, that’s who I want to play. They’re lined up as well as can be.”

    Still, don’t expect any miracles from a team that has clearly given up on itsel
    f.
    Hmmm, I dont like a matchup with Orlando, no matter how dysfunctional they may look right now, but I think last year proved we have the mental fortitude to do well in the playoffs
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    id rather play a team that has to hit their jump shot to have a shot to win. Not too mention with the exception of Howard, not many other players are going to draw fouls.

    Not to sound disrespectful, but there is a reason why Orlando continues to struggle in the Playoffs. It's a different type of basketball. IMO you have to be a physical team to win, and with the exception of Howard they don't have that.

  3. #3
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    He's right though. I love what the Pacers are doing - we all do - but they aren't there yet. Still some missing pieces.

    You put Deron Williams on this team and no one will argue we aren't built for playoff success. They'll just debate after we crush Chicago if we can beat Miami.

  4. #4
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    I would love to get the Magic in the first round and beat the **** out of them. I can't stand Dwight and his drama. I absolutely think that we can reach the ECF, we're young but we're good.

    PG creates matchup problems for any team we face. Big Roy can matchup with any C in the league as we've seen with Bynum and Howard(first Pacer/Magic game especially).
    Danny has really turned it up this second half and playing like we all knew he could, even giving us more than that. Overall I really like our chances and I will be seriously letdown if we are a first round exit.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    The Magic just got lucky by hitting threes. Is this guy the Magics scout?

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    All I know is that if we play Orlando Ryan Anderson would look like the NBA MVP, he got our number.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I know is that if we play Orlando Ryan Anderson would look like the NBA MVP, he got our number.
    All I know is we need to plant Danny on that guy. It's not like Hedo is some world beater athletically

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    I'm not afraid of Orlando. I'm confident over the course of a series Frank will come to the conclusion to single cover dwight and let Roy do his best and just stay home on all of their 3 point shooters. If we do so we should be able to win handily.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,170

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Orlando lives and dies by the three. If they're hitting, they're tough to beat. If not, they're a pushover.

  13. #10
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not afraid of Orlando. I'm confident over the course of a series Frank will come to the conclusion to single cover dwight and let Roy do his best and just stay home on all of their 3 point shooters. If we do so we should be able to win handily.
    I'm also not afraid of the Magic. Dwight can only do so much. The 3 pt. shooters will do more damage.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,504

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Fesenko and Penergraph == Hack-a-Dwight

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    The Magic have won 6 playoff series the last 4 years, let's not pretend like the system hasn't worked fairly well...

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Magic have won 6 playoff series the last 4 years, let's not pretend like the system hasn't worked fairly well...
    Dwight Howard.

  20. #14
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dwight Howard.
    gee thanks for providing absolutely nothing. One player does not make a team...

  21. #15
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Magic have won 6 playoff series the last 4 years, let's not pretend like the system hasn't worked fairly well...
    4 of those happened in the one year they got to the finals, they also had a much better all around team then than they do now. besides that they haven't really had too much success, and their team has gotten progressively less talented and performed worse in the playoffs culminating in an embarassing sweep by the Hawks last year despite having HCA, and the "let Dwight get stats, glue yourself to 3 point shooters" strategy, something we're well equipped to do.

    Especially since, while Howard certainly has the advantage on Roy, Roy is capable of scoring on him with his length when he's in a rhythm and he can bother Dwight with his size and skill more than all but a very few other 5 men in the league.

    It would also give the tantalizing prospect of Roy breaking out into real stardom in the eyes of onlookers if he held his own in the series and led us to a win.

  22. #16
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 of those happened in the one year they got to the finals, they also had a much better all around team then than they do now. besides that they haven't really had too much success, and their team has gotten progressively less talented and performed worse in the playoffs culminating in an embarassing sweep by the Hawks last year despite having HCA, and the "let Dwight get stats, glue yourself to 3 point shooters" strategy, something we're well equipped to do.

    Especially since, while Howard certainly has the advantage on Roy, Roy is capable of scoring on him with his length when he's in a rhythm and he can bother Dwight with his size and skill more than all but a very few other 5 men in the league.

    It would also give the tantalizing prospect of Roy breaking out into real stardom in the eyes of onlookers if he held his own in the series and led us to a win.
    Actually 3, not 4, are from the finals year, which just brings up a good point for me, THEY MADE IT TO THE FINALS. Also they didn't get sweep last year, they lost 4-2. On top of that I never said they are as good this year, I just stated that the system that so many on here bash, has been fairly successful. Big difference!

  23. #17
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    We're going to have trouble against Orlando. Bad matchup for us.
    X-Factor is obviously Hibbert. If he can provide his all-star inside presence against Howard (I don't expect him to slow him down, but at least be able to score some points, control the glass and play a bit defense) then we should be able to beat them.
    If Hibbert won't play good, well, We'd probably live and die with Granger, and I'm not sure it'll be enough. Granger was fantastic last year in the playoffs but we still only won one game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually 3, not 4, are from the finals year, which just brings up a good point for me, THEY MADE IT TO THE FINALS. Also they didn't get sweep last year, they lost 4-2. On top of that I never said they are as good this year, I just stated that the system that so many on here bash, has been fairly successful. Big difference!
    It's not that it can't be successful, more that they aren't the saem team they were, and that it either works really well or blows up straight in your face.

    Turk, Lewis, Nelson were all playing around all-star level the year they made it to the finals, they had Gortat, they had alot of things that they don't have going for them any longer.

    Turk is not even close to his former self, Anderson is good, but Lewis was better, Nelson has declined, their bench is weaker, it isn't the same team.

  26. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fesenko and Penergraph == Hack-a-Dwight
    Fez is a really big dude. Standing next to Tyler, he made Tyler look small. It's shocking.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not that it can't be successful, more that they aren't the saem team they were, and that it either works really well or blows up straight in your face.

    Turk, Lewis, Nelson were all playing around all-star level the year they made it to the finals, they had Gortat, they had alot of things that they don't have going for them any longer.

    Turk is not even close to his former self, Anderson is good, but Lewis was better, Nelson has declined, their bench is weaker, it isn't the same team.
    I don't know why you keep comparing the teams!? I fully understand this team is worse then the finals team! I'm not even talking about that, so why are you?!

  29. #21

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    pacers can and should beat the magic.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer. For This Useful Post:


  31. #22
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    I like matching up with Orlando because I think we have the better coach and better chemistry. Dwight Howard is certainly a super-star level player, but after him, I think the Pacers have a better roster from top to bottom.

    The biggest thing is that we'll have home court against a team that cannot play consistently for 7 straight games, and probably doesn't really care that much anyway.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  32. #23
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    pacers can and should beat the magic.
    Especially with the way they have been tanking down the stretch.

  33. #24

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why you keep comparing the teams!? I fully understand this team is worse then the finals team! I'm not even talking about that, so why are you?!
    fwiw i thought his post was fine in the context of the conversation.


    but this thread brings up an interesting discussion. i really think indiana will make noise in the playoffs and they will not go down easy to any team. i think they beat magic, i really like this pacer team.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer. For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: “As good as Indy has been, I’m just not sold that they’re built for playoff success"

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fwiw i thought his post was fine in the context of the conversation.


    but this thread brings up an interesting discussion. i really think indiana will make noise in the playoffs and they will not go down easy to any team. i think they beat magic, i really like this pacer team.
    I don't care to argue with you, I will just say again comparing the teams has nothing to do with what I was saying. Did it pertain to the thread: sure, did it pertain to my posts: no.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
  2. Curry made available by GSW
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 06:48 AM
  3. Draft Express - NBA Player Scouting Reports
    By OakMoses in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
  4. <Place name of thread here>
    By MSA2CF in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •