View Poll Results: How many nationally televised games will the Pacers have next year?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-3

27 42.19%
  • 4-6

26 40.63%
  • 7-9

9 14.06%
  • 10-12

1 1.56%
  • 12+

1 1.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many nationally televised games will the Pacers have next year?

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default How many nationally televised games will the Pacers have next year?

Assuming the Pacers win their first round series and have a hard fought second round exit. How many nationally televised games do you think the Pacers will get next year? I am not counting NBA TV as most casual fans would not have that channel.

You can add your own hypotheticals to your voting as well, such as adding DWill, Nash, or standing pat.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 04-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Default Re: How many nationally televised games will the Pacers have next year?

I went with 4-6 because I mostly see us standing pat in the offseason (No DWill or Nash) so we won't get that many more games. We'll probably have a couple against the Bulls and Heat and then maybe a Laker or Magic game.

NOTE: We are back to 82 games next season so there will be more chances.

Nice pole!
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I immediately thought 6. I'd like to think that if we took Chi/Mia to 6 or 7 games we could get more, but all the networks care about are stars. Shoot, New York could miss the playoffs and they'd still get 20 games next year.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice pole!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Reeled in... Thank you...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will say we get 6 games regardless of any free agent signings. 1 ABC game, 2 TNT games, 3 ESPN games.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    I will say we get 6 games regardless of any free agent signings. 1 ABC game, 2 TNT games, 3 ESPN games.
    It would be nice to have Reggie doing commentary for one of these...Knicks maybe.

I have a feeling only 1 of the 6 would be a home game, probably an ESPN game.

Not as many as we would if the NBA were still on NBC!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I still don't see us having many. The fact we are a small market without a superstar hurts.

I'd imagine one on ESPN and a couple on NBA TV to **** 95% of Pacers fan.

It would be nice to have Reggie doing commentary for one of these...Knicks maybe.
    I hope so! It better be a home game. That would be amazing!

I'm looking forward to that pie you bet me, BillS!

(He thought we wouldn't get a single game on ESPN/TNT next year; I obviously disagreed. He wants to claim ESPN2 doesn't count, though, which I consider cheating )

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I'll stick to 0 with my caveat about ESPN2 being barely a step above NBATV.

We might make it onto ESPN 8 - The Ocho!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

We did have a whopping 1 game on ESPN this year, so 0 games would actually be a step down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I immediately thought 6. I'd like to think that if we took Chi/Mia to 6 or 7 games we could get more, but all the networks care about are stars. Shoot, New York could miss the playoffs and they'd still get 20 games next year.

No, all the networks care about are TV ratings. If a team with no stars and from a city of 10,000 got great TV ratings that team would be on all the time. TV ratings are a real number that can be documented.

There were a couple of seasons last decade (I am sure there was at least 1) where the Knicks didn't make one national TV appearance. I remember because I started a thread on the fact that the Knicks were not on at all.

ESPN2 doesn't really count because they typically don't have any regular season games. They have had only 1 this season.

I would expect the Pacers to have 6-8. Mostly ESPN. ABC is much harder to get on and TNT is also almost as difficult to get on as ABC.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm looking forward to that pie you bet me, BillS!

(He thought we wouldn't get a single game on ESPN/TNT next year; I obviously disagreed. He wants to claim ESPN2 doesn't count, though, which I consider cheating )
    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I'll stick to 0 with my caveat about ESPN2 being barely a step above NBATV.

We might make it onto ESPN 8 - The Ocho!
    Well, they bump NBA games to ESPN2 during the MLB season. Has nothing to do with it being "second tier" or anything, since everyone who has ESPN has ESPN2.

I see 4-6.

Indiana/Miami, Indiana/Chicago, Indiana/(Any top Western team) will all be decent draws.

The reason it can't really be more is, as has been said before, lack of superstar presence which would translate into poor ratings.

Oh, and I highly doubt we get an ABC game anytime soon. Between LA/OKC/MIA/BOS/CHI/NYK it would be darn near impossible for Indiana to get a slot IMO.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I just can't wait for the season when I get to watch the Pacers on Christmas Day again.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

It completely depends on if we add Steve Nash or Deron Williams this off-season (Or if we were to get Goran Dragic, and he continues to play lights out and has a phenomenal showing in the playoffs. He's a better version of Jeremy Lin except he's not on New York.)

If we add them, it's 7-9 games or even more. If we don't, it's 1-3.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We will get nationally televised in the playoffs. That is what matters this season. How we do then will determine whether we deserve more next year.

The Pistons series in 04 did nothing to help our national marketability. It was a brutal defensive struggle that turned the casual fan off to the NBA. But made Buck go gaga.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I would say about 3 without the signing of a guy like Williams or Nash. If we sign one of them then maybe around 6 or more if we are challenging Miami or Chicago pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The Pistons series in 04 did nothing to help our national marketability. It was a brutal defensive struggle that turned the casual fan off to the NBA. But made Buck go gaga.
    And right there is a HUGE problem with the way the NBA markets its game.

The pitchers' duel in baseball and the defensive struggle in football or basketball are only 'dull' and 'boring' because our highlight-saturated sports culture makes them so. To those actually knowledgeable about the game, they are the epitome of skill and intensity.

The NBA has tried to 'fix' this by turning the game into a giant H-O-R-S-E contest, making defense difficult and allowing anyone who is a marquee player to get away with things that would have caused rule changes to stop in previous generations. All they've done is to make the H-O-R-S-E fan get more bored with a game unless there are at least a dozen breakaway dunks or intricate 5-7 step 'athletic' rolls to the basket.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I enjoy it. I liked the Butler and UConn game last year. Even though ESPN was telling me not to.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

I think Butler/UConn was more a product of BAD shooting than good defense.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

I think Butler/UConn was more a product of BAD shooting than good defense.
    Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. There's a difference between a low-scoring game and a defensive battle.
    BillS