Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

  1. #101
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,987

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People see THEIR team and these "bad" losses and somehow ignore that it's happening just as much to the other teams.
    Point. Game. /Thread

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    16,987

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I could understand them not being favored up there. The Lakers have Kobe and Bynum(most of the time ), and apart from the Heat and Thunder I don't know if anybody can keep up with them if they get on an offensive tear.

    I think people always pick Boston as a secondary favorite because they're afraid they'll look bad if they pick an unknown quantity and the Celtics, who have players that EVERYBODY know, start to win.

    The Grizzlies are just a very sexy upset pick after they made fools of everybody last year.

    I do agree that there should have been at least a halfway decent mention of the Blue and Gold, but I can't say that the picks are bad. If they included the Knicks or the Clips I might have a serious beef though.
    Agreed. Personally, I'm not bothered by it. I'm confident that the Pacers are going to be this season's Memphis Grizzlies in the playoffs and that in the next season are going to enjoy the same respect that the Grizs enjoy right now.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  5. #103
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm wondering if Indiana is being blackballed by the media. I just read the Stein thing and I'm stunned. Simmons has an article listing the 33 reasons to be exited about the NBA stretch run. Indy is not one of the reason except for a small mention about there playoff matchup. But the kicker...he list s nine teams that can win the title. Indy is not one of them.

    Something is going on.
    I can't buy conspiracy either, but it is freaking weird at this point.

    I mean DAVID WEST. Go back to the FA period, who were the top guys to get? Nene and West.

    George Hill was pretty well known thanks to the SAS success.

    Barbosa was known well enough thanks to his PHX years.


    Sportswriters noticed all of these moves. Stein I'm sure had comments on all of those deals, and yet they can in no way put that together with the W-L under Vogel LAST YEAR and see something is maybe coming on.

    Pre-season Simmons was tracking them as having strong potential, but here they sit making good on it and he's back to setting them aside. I assume because of what he saw at the ORL/IND Super Bowl game.


    All I know is that I'm really hoping to be in a location to place some wagers come playoffs because this figures to be some sweet "insiders" knowledge.



    You know what it probably is. It's probably that everyone is just penciling this in as the "get a taste this year, come back strong next year" season and ignoring the fact that they did that last year, primarily because they only had the brief Vogel window to even become aware of the team and because the East was bad enough that Vogel was able to overcome the turd salad JOB left behind and sneak into the post-season.

    That's why we aren't seeing the same credit Memphis is. But then you'd think these guys would have learned a lesson from what Memphis did LAST year.

  6. #104
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,840

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    But now our new players need to get a taste too! Oh wait.. They've all been to the conference finals on their previous teams, haven't they?

  7. #105
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,326

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pre-season Simmons was tracking them as having strong potential, but here they sit making good on it and he's back to setting them aside. I assume because of what he saw at the ORL/IND Super Bowl game.
    Wasn't Simmons the guy who said he'd be shocked if the Pacers didn't hit 40 wins this season? It was somebody with a regular column for sure.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  9. #106
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I hadn't thought about that. But that's a great observation; everyone we added to this roster has a lot more playoff experience than the guys we kept from last year's series with Chicago. I hadn't really given that much thought before, but that's a really great point to think about as we head into the postseason. It's actually really encouraging.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  11. #107
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Okay, the Pacers just won their 10th game of the month, placing them with the best record in the NBA for April and having the longest current winning streak. They big a big market playoff team on the road to do this. They are on the verge of clinching the 3rd seed.

    So I open the Indy Star at 10am (online) and what do I see? "NEW COLTS SCHEDULE" and "COLTS PLAY A LOT AT 1PM" and "LUCK WILL PLAY JUST UP I-65 TO START". 5-6 Colts schedule articles listed under the big photo.

    I scroll down to Sports. NOTHING. Wait, there's something. Oh, it's a photo and link to the MINNESOTA GAME from Monday night. As far as I can tell from the INDIANAPOLIS Star front page the Pacers didn't even play LAST NIGHT as of 10 AM.

    F you morons, that's pathetic. Wells should ask for a job where people know what he does for a living. This isn't on Mike, this is on decision makers at the Star who probably question why he has travel expenses and what "NBA beat writer" means on his job title and wonder who hired a person to do this strange job.

    When the national media covers your local team better than you do, you are officially crap at your job.


    15 years ago you had complete pull-out sections about the team as they went into the playoffs. You had a big "THANK YOU LARRY" (Brown) section of post-playoffs coverage. I know, I still have a copy.


    The only Pacers story is Kravitz writing an opinion for Bird to stay. I mean even if Wells didn't get his report in you can still pick up stuff off the wire and post a photo. And the Pacers story should be way bigger than the Colts schedule at this point.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  13. #108
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Greenfield, IN
    Posts
    3,220
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Pacers Sixers has a small article now. Still pretty pathetic.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #109

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't Simmons the guy who said he'd be shocked if the Pacers didn't hit 40 wins this season? It was somebody with a regular column for sure.
    The Over/Under on the Pacers at the beginning of the season was 36 wins and Simmons took the over - pretty emphatically IIRC.

  15. #110
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,490

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    I was watching Inside the NBA last night after the Spurs-Lakers game and Charles Barkley mentioned our team once again. He talked about how this team has gone so under the radar and was wondering if there was ever such a quiet 3rd seed. Glad to see Charles has taken notice of our team this year, he also mentioned what a great job Larry has done and the whole crew talked about Vogel as a COY candidate.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  17. #111
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,326

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    Bulls/Pacers. On espn, bulls had 5 highlights, and Indiana had 1 highlight. And they didn't even get that pretty Stephenson layup in . The one highlight was a George Hill 3 pointer, and they announced it was Paul George. Then the camera proceeded to focus in on Hill's name on his jersey. I never would have thought there would be so many issues as to their names lol

  18. #112
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,928
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Has any 3rd place team received such little attention?

    We get respect from alot of knowledgable people, especially on NBATV, and inside the NBA, but everyone should know what ESPN and their ilk is all about at this point, they'll jump on our bandwagon if we make a deep run and/or when Paul George becomes a big star that does flashy things.

    Our local media should be ashamed though, the PAcers themselves have bought more ad time, but the colts are crappy and rebuilding and local media still fawns all over them like they're still competing for the superbowl, it's pathetic and the Indy Star is the biggest offender.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Just How Good are the Pacer Players??
    By xIndyFan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. NBA Coach Power Rankings: O'Brien 23rd
    By Hibbert in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
  4. The PD NBA Draft - Selection 10 - New Jersey
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM
  5. SportsGuy eviscerates USA Basketball
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •