Thread: Gerald "The Color of Money" (small mention of Paul George)

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Gerald "The Color of Money" (small mention of Paul George)

Just tweeted this whole "mini-article" through my @postgameonline handle, and wanted to share the information here. Please remember these are tweets, so there are short, possibly strange grammatical statements, much repetition, and various stats. However, when I rewrote it, I tried adjusting some points of interest for journalistic integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Postgame Online
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In his 23 games since returning to the NBA from a three-year hiatus, the New Jersey Netsí Gerald Green has had six 20+ point games, including tonightís 32 against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Greenís last season in the NBA spanned 44 games, which he played for the Dallas Mavericks in 2008-09. His five 20+ point games are the most since his sophomore season with the Boston Celtics in 2006-07.

In his sophomore season, Green had fifteen (15) 20+ point games, including a career-high 25 points in a loss to the Dallas Mavericks (a future Green-holder). He later topped his career-high with 33 points in a loss to the Atlanta Hawks, a game during which Paul Pierce was injured.

The starting lineup for the Celtics for the Hawks game was: Rajon Rondo, Ryan Gomes, Allan Ray (not Ray Allen), Kendrick Perkins, and Green.This game occurred in an 8-game stretch where Green averaged 19.25 points per game. However, the Celtics won only one game in that stretch, in which Green matched his then-career high of 25 points to beat the Cavaliers.

After a breakout 2007 season, Green was infamously traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett (the second trade to occur that would assist in finally sending the Celtics back to the Finals). He was overshadowed in Minnesota for 30 games, and requested a trade thusly. By late February, Green would be traded to his hometown Houston Rockets, only to be released a week into March.

Green spent a very lackluster season in Dallas in 2008-09, and eventually signed with a Russian team in December 2009, for the Ď09-10 season. He saw some NBA Summer League action in 2010 with the Los Angeles Lakers, but signed with another Russian team after Summer League ended. He moved to China in October 2011 to play for the Foshan Dralions, but was released shortly after in December.

After Boston, Minnesota, Houston, Dallas, Russia, and China between 2005 and 2011, Green signed with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA D-League on December 28, 2011 (my 21st birthday). It is with the D-Fenders that Green made the NBDL All-Star team, and was awarded the 2012 NBDL All-Star Game MVP.

Mere weeks after his MVP honors, Green would sign back-to-back 10-day contracts with the New Jersey Nets in late February 2012, and would later sign for the remainder of the season.

With the resuscitation and resurrection of his NBA career, Gerald Green has earned his role on a struggling, rebuilding, and possibly tanking Nets team. Heís proven he can still compete with NBA talent, and with Gerald Wallace out with a hamstring injury, look for Green to receive starting minutes for the Nets, and more responsibility and freedom as he develops.

Green has deserved starting minutes to this point, and if he does so, he would be standing on the court at tip-off with Deron Williams, MarShon Brooks, Kris Humphries, and Shawne Williams; not an awful crop of players, but definitely one of potential. Williams, Brooks, and Green could be an incredible trio looking toward the future of the Brooklyn Nets.

With positive results, Green could be a huge piece for the Nets next year, and coming years. Or he could earn a good contract for another team, becoming a valuable asset and a product of the potential that he seeped in his first two years in the NBA. Green showed a lot of promise prior to his unfair trade and bench burial, and then failed to please any team enough to find him worth the money to keep.

Similarly, the Indiana Pacersí own Paul George has shown slivers of this same kind of development: topping, matching, and topping career-highs, exhibiting massive amounts of potential, and even performing with a relative skillset. However, George was removed from his own burial with the firing of former coach Jim OíBrien. After proving himself in two seasons, donít expect the Pacers to pass on him as easily as Boston passed on Green.

Even if a Kevin Garnett-at-that-time-level player is available, Larry Bird understands the importance of a young manís development, and is likely to ensure that he can continue to flourish in the hands of Frank Vogel. Unfortunately, Green did not receive the same amount of respect, nor freedom.

But Green is on his way back to fame in the NBA. His American professional career has been resuscitated and resurrected, so expect for him to prove his worth, earn his place, and turn a very lucky team into a very happy team.
    And he only has 4 1/2 fingers on his right hand.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 04-09-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Default Re: Gerald "The Color of Money" (small mention of Paul George)

Not to be picky but Shawne Williams was traded to Portland with Okur & a pick for Gerald Wallace.

It would be interesting to find out why he was released after a month when he was traded to Houston. He has some talent but I think he must either have an attitude issue or work ethic (I find that hard to believe considering he has signed with Russia/China & the D-league).

Nice piece.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

still can't believe the guy got picked right after danny granger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    still can't believe the guy got picked right after danny granger.
    some projected him as a top three pick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I have to admit that when we were on the clock that draft night, I was wanting Danny Granger mostly, but I was saying over and over again

Pick Granger or Green,
    Pick Granger or Green,
    Pick Granger or Green...

Both were considered guys who "slid" and Danny was supposedly he more ready, with Green being the higher risk but possible higher reward, being far less polished but freakish athletically.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Ironically, NBA.com posted a video about Green's "re-surge" to the NBA today.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...meout_new.nba/
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everyone was saying he could potentially be the next T-Mac when he was coming out of school. Glad to see he is getting his act together.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Not to be picky but Shawne Williams was traded to Portland with Okur & a pick for Gerald Wallace.

I caught that too, but I knew they were referring to Sheldon Williams. NJ has had Sean, Shawne, and Sheldon on their team at one time or another over the last few years. Just too many Williams in the NBA.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I caught that too, but I knew they were referring to Sheldon Williams. NJ has had Sean, Shawne, and Sheldon on their team at one time or another over the last few years. Just too many Williams in the NBA.
    When we played them earlier this season they had 4 of them on their roster at one time!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Don't forget Jordan Williams.

For the most part of this season the Nets feature 4 Williams getting a little more than 20 MPG.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im embarrassed to admit that I was so angry on draft night when we drafted Danny over Green.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Green refuse to work out for teams below the top 6? Might explain why he fell so far. Who knows, maybe the Pacers would have loved him if he had come here to work out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure the Celtics aren't complaining about that Kevin Garnett trade, a championship later. I get it though, you don't want to give up on a player too soon.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post: