Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz: Vogel Coach of the Year?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kravitz: Vogel Coach of the Year?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|p

I am telling Indiana Pacers coach Frank Vogel he should get serious consideration for NBA Coach of the Year.

He smiles.

"(The Bulls') Tom Thibodeau,'' he says quickly before the Pacers' memorable 112-104 comeback victory over the New York Knicks. "With team success comes all the individual stuff. Without Derrick Rose (who has missed time with injuries)?''

He shakes his head.

Yes, Tom Thibodeau. He's got to be the front-runner. And San Antonio's eternally excellent coach, Gregg Popovich, deserves a mention with the way he has massaged an aging and sometimes injured roster. Doug Collins in Philly has done a nice job, although his team is flailing.

But Vogel has to be in the conversation. In the first paragraph of the conversation. Maybe the first or second sentence.

Before Tuesday's game, Vogel forcefully made the point that he would not match New York's small lineup with a small lineup of his own. He would continue to go big with a post-up game and impose the Pacers' will (and size) on the smaller Knicks.

Then the Knicks, playing small ball to near perfection, using Carmelo Anthony at the power forward, opened a 17-point third-quarter lead and led by 15 after three quarters.

At which point, Vogel looked at his assistant coaches and said, "We've got to go small.''

Nods all around.

And so, the Pacers went small.

And then they went nuts, with George Hill, Leandro Barbosa and Lou Amundson playing the entire quarter, with Danny Granger playing 11:49 and Paul George playing 9:16.

The Pacers went on 14-0 run. A 20-2 run. A 27-4 run. A 40-17 fourth quarter. Bankers Life Fieldhouse came alive the way it did back in the days when Reggie Miller made his living in these kinds of fourth quarters.

"A genius move,'' Granger said with a smile, referring to the decision to go small.

Amundson, who was a monster in that fourth quarter, continually did what Roy Hibbert couldn't do the first three quarters: When the Knicks trapped off ball screens, he slipped the screen -- a "nail screen'' -- ran to the free throw line, got the ball there and found open shooters.

That is, when he wasn't chasing down loose balls, tapping back offensive rebounds and generally making a nuisance of himself.

"Give Frank a lot of credit,'' Amundson said. "There are a lot of coaches who are tempted to go back with their starters when they start to feel comfortable where the game is. But he stayed with us and let us rock.''

It also doesn't hurt that Granger is playing his best basketball of the season these past two weeks. After a 32-point night at Houston, he had 27 points and seven rebounds against the Knicks and did a decent-enough job against Anthony in the fourth quarter. Granger has scored 25 points or more in six games.

"He's playing his best ball of the season,'' Vogel said. "When your best player is dialed in like that, it elevates the play of everybody around him.''

It wasn't Reggie-esque, but No. 31 would have been proud -- especially as it came against Spike Lee's Knicks. Granger hit all three of his 3-point tries and scored 14 points in that fourth quarter.

Coach of the Year?

Vogel's got a case.

He's got an even stronger case to have that third year, now a team option, fully guaranteed by upper management. What else do they need to see? He has taken a wounded, defeated team and in a short time, first as an interim coach and then in a lockout-shortened year, established himself as the man for the job long term.

In 91 games -- the last 38 of last season, the first 53 of this one -- Vogel's Pacers are 52-39.

If the Pacers can go on a run here -- nine of their next 13 games are at home -- Vogel may get some play as a serious candidate for Coach of the Year.

He came in as Dr. Feelgood, propping up a team that had been beaten down by Jim O'Brien's relentless negativity. And then, about three weeks into his interim season, he started bringing the hammer down. And players who wondered if he could be tough took notice.

"Those first three weeks, absolutely, it was all 'It's OK. It's OK,' " Vogel said. "But then toward the end of the season, I became more of a hard-***. When the bottom line comes around, every day you've got to drill habits. Every day, we watch tape and call them out if they're not doing the right things. Every day, you've got to be a hard-*** about things.

"But you've got to know when they need a hug and when they need somebody to come down hard on them.''

Who has done more with his team than Vogel with these Pacers?

The answer, best I can tell, is nobody.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or email bob.kravitz@indystar.com. You can also follow Bob on Twitter at @bkravitz.
    what do you guys think? i definitely think he should win coach of the year.
    Last edited by adamscb; 04-05-2012 at 01:46 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz: Vogel Coach of the Year?

I think he should be in the discussion, but I'm guessing Popovich or Thibodeau will get it. Although, I think Larry Bird has a great chance of getting executive of the year.

Yeah, it's gotta go to Pop. He's done an incredible job getting the most out of his team even without its key players.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

You need to include a link back to the article on IndyStar.com. Thanks.

I think in an 82 game season, Vogel would have more chance of winning. Without a massive personnel turnover, we are winning at a clip that would be at least 10-15 games better between years. But I think the shortened season will nullify the "record improvement" coach category. Going from 37 wins 1 season to say...40 wins the next won't look that impactful, even knowing the season was shortened 16 games.

They'll be looking at the highest level of play or for who managed to win despite fielding numerous injuries.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Pop for coach of the year, Bird for exec. Pop's only won it once, he deserves more credit than that. Thibs will have plenty of time to win more, I think the voters will factor that in, since Thibs won it last year in his first season as a head coach.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

I gotta love to have Vogel to win the COY. But the competition is very strong. I think Pops will win it. They are more depleted and at the same time older than the Bulls, yet they are the #2 team in the West and Top 5 overall. Bulls were not missing their main guys as much as the Spurs do so I favor the spurs more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to include a link back to the article on IndyStar.com. Thanks.
    my mistake, didn't know the rules about posting articles.

thibodeau shouldn't win coach of the year. yes the bulls have the best record in the league...blah blah blah, but i personally like underdog stories. if thibs wins he might as well give the trophy to d-rose.

vogel definitely deserves it. he single-handedly changed this ball club around, without the talent of san antonio and chicago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Really wish Rubio hadn't gone down and the T-Wolves had made the playoffs so Adelman could have had a chance at it.

(Am I from the future or just too lazy to reword my statement?)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Frank Vogel were to wake me up in the middle of the night, tell me to run through a wall, I'd do it. Twice.

I love that man. I'm totally biased, but he should win this award.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Definitely worthy of the conversation, but my vote is for Popp. He's the man.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Ya I agree his name deserves to be in the discussion.. But also think Thibs and Pop deserve it more and are going to get it.. I would go with Thibs because they are tops in the East and Rose has been out like half the year with injuries. That's a sign of a great coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Popovich will win it this year but if the Pacers close out the season on a strong note - like beating the Thunder and Celtics this weekend (wishful thinking) - they'll catch more attention.

I think first year coaches get a lot of credit and there are a lot of first year coaches that have won the award in the past such as Bird, Doc Rivers in Orlando, Carlisle in Detroit, and Thibodeau last year to name a few.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I think it comes down to Pop or Vogel. Pop's got the huge advantage.

Phil Collins was in competition, but the 76ers have taken a nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I think it comes down to Pop or Vogel. Pop's got the huge advantage.

Phil Collins was in competition, but the 76ers have taken a nosedive.
    Phil Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Phil Collins?
    Yes, the balding crooner who is still a remarkable drummer but wussed out for pop glory.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Phil Collins?
    Whoops lol I can feel it comin' in the air tonight

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

One thing I loved about the Spurs game was all the players giving props to each other. I haven't seen so many players shaking hands after a NBA game.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Whoops lol I can feel it comin' in the air tonight
    oh Lord!

One thing I loved about the Spurs game was all the players giving props to each other. I haven't seen so many players shaking hands after a NBA game.
    The Spurs would be about the only team that could do that. A bunch of veterans who love the game, but they do it the right way. Whether "it" is basketball, mentoring, or sportsmanship.

Mood

Sports Logo

Last season, Bird fired a losing coach and brought in Frank Vogel. For the first time in years, Vogel led us to the playoffs with the 8th seed. This season, lockout or not, we're sitting at the 3rd seed. That's something that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named never accomplished, nor could he have.

With that said, not only does Frank Vogel deserve Coach of the Year over Thibodeau and Popovich, but Larry Bird absolutely deserves Executive of the Year as well. The Pacer couldn't have done everything they've done this season without those two guys, and they need to be rewarded for their hard work and genius performance.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

I think Thibs can more or less be ruled out, not because of worthiness, but because he won it last year and his roster is basically the same.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I'm #TeamVogel, but I just don't see it. Guy is still too green, still makes too many noticeable mistakes. I think experience will do him wonders and he will be a legit COTY candidate kind of guy in years to come, but not this year. Not getting the absolute most out of this roster. Yet, at least.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Any one think Bird getting Exec OTY would hurt Frank's chances? I feel like people could look at it as him doing a good job, but be put in an easy situation because of how well Bird did.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Any one think Bird getting Exec OTY would hurt Frank's chances? I feel like people could look at it as him doing a good job, but be put in an easy situation because of how well Bird did.
    It's happened before where both get the award the same year so unless there's some rule I'm not remembering, it should not be an issue.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I know it is possible, but just like someone said they probably won't give it to Thibs two years in a row, I wonder if they would be somewhat hesitant to give it to to guys on the same team as well.