Thread: This deserves its own thread.. COLTS FINALLY SIGN A NT

Default This deserves its own thread.. COLTS FINALLY SIGN A NT

Colts sign Brandon McKinney.. I hope he likes starting now.

Well, for those of us who were worried that the Colts didn't have anyone on the roster to play nose tackle in a 3-4, today your fears were quelled, slightly. The Colts have signed 6'2, 345 lbs nose tackle Brandon McKinney, per Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press (thanks to Mac's Football Blog for the head's up).

The days of 6'0, 285 pounds defensive tackles are gone, folks. Long gone.
    It should shock no one that McKinney has played for the Baltimore Ravens the last four seasons. Prior to that, he played three years for the San Diego Chargers.

McKinney isn't a starter. He's a rotational guy who can spell a true, starting nose tackle. In seven years, he's started just six games, but has played in 61. Regardless, he should be considered a significant upgrade at the position, considering the Colts didn't have anyone on the roster who could play nose in a 3-4 scheme.

Oh, and just to further highlight how awful Colts DT Fili Moala is, McKinney (who didn't start any games last season) had almost as many tackles (14) and Moala did (22), and Moala started 14 games.
    Just like with the Tom Zbikowski and Cory Redding signings, G.

M. Ryan Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano continue to bleed Baltimore's depth while adding low cost, low risk additions to a Colts defense in desperate need of talent, veteran leadership. Indy will still need to draft a nose tackle the second day of the 2012 NFL Draft, bit McKinney will be able to ease that rookie's transition into the NFL.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/4/2925375/colts-sign-nose-tackle-brandon-mckinney
    This doesn't mean we don't draft a guy but atleast its a step in the right direction.

The Indianapolis Colts have signed free agent defensive tackle Brandon McKinney to a two-year contract, Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press reports.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

McKinney, 28, entered the NFL with the San Diego Chargers, who signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Michigan State in 2006. In 20 games over three seasons, the 6-foot-2, 345-pound run-stuffer picked up 23 tackles and two passes defensed before he was waived midway through the 2008 season.

Signed by the Baltimore Ravens, McKinney has 37 tackles in 41 games over the last four seasons while playing in a reserve role.

McKinney played for Colts head coach Chuck Pagano, who was the defensive coordinator with the Ravens before landing the Colts job in January, and had a season of overlap with Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, who coached linebackers with the Chargers in 2006.
    http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012...-mckinney.html
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This deserves its own thread.. COLTS FINALLY SIGN A NT

Sounds ok to me if he didn't cost too much. He's played for 2 of our coaches so we know what we're getting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ooo, ill have to read about him.. Felt the need to reply first since im excited we got one already.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If chuck likes him then bring him in.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Largest defensive player in years! Great signing. This really opens up the first few rounds of the draft now. I see us taking a guy like Hicks or Fangupo in the 5th/6th round but no DTs sooner.

2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds are now completely open to WR, CB and maybe a 34 DE? I'd love to see Crick in the 3rd round

Mood

Very good signing. He may have not been a starter but he is better than any DT who is on the roster right now. Maybe with given time to play he could handle the starter's role. This could alter the draft for us in many ways. I wonder if any teams would like to trade up to our 34 spot if we could get 2 2nd round picks. We still have a lot of holes to fill and if there is a WR that we think would have a good chance to fall a few spots further down then why the heck not.