View Poll Results: Who has the best steak?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • St. Elmos

3 27.27%
  • Ruth Chris

6 54.55%
  • Mortons

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best steak in Indy?

Default Re: Whats the best steak in Indy?

Another vote for Fogo. Food's great and all you can eat. Large variety on the meats and top tier salad bar to boot. Also the side dishes are good too. Can't go wrong here. If never been to a Brazillian steakhouse, it's a must go.

Fogo is phenomenal. Its just too much food. The salad bar alone, if you want to call it that ( its a cornucopia of veggie dishes, etc ) is enough to send you out staggering. The trick is to eat lightly at the salad bar. Then sit back and have round after round of meat brought to you by servers, from which you can choose at will. Don't want that particular cut of meat? Waive it off. Another guy will be by within 30 seconds.

Again, though, prepare for the amount of food that will be consumed. You will have to be wheeled out.

Not exactly downtown but my favorite by far has always been Sullivan's Steakhouse at Keystone at the Crossing. Just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ninercolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fogo is phenomenal. Its just too much food. The salad bar alone, if you want to call it that ( its a cornucopia of veggie dishes, etc ) is enough to send you out staggering. The trick is to eat lightly at the salad bar. Then sit back and have round after round of meat brought to you by servers, from which you can choose at will. Don't want that particular cut of meat? Waive it off. Another guy will be by within 30 seconds.

Again, though, prepare for the amount of food that will be consumed. You will have to be wheeled out.
    no the trick is not to eat the salad or the bread.... hell for 50 bucks I'm not getting full on vegetable.... give me the lamb and the bacon wrapped filet!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mo's Steak House, has a pretty good fillet.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but would have to say Bynum's is right up
    there with some of the best.

Was just at Fogo Sunday night. The Chicke wrapped bacon and parmasean pork are two of my favorites there, but they also serve a mean fillet as well.

But if I'm going out with the entire intent of just eating steak then it's Ruth's Chris.

I have never EVER EVER had a bad steak there and easily it's one of the best I've ever had anywhere.

I'll join in with those saying that I am not enamored with St. Elmo's. I know it's sacralidge in Indy but I can honestly say I have never walked out of there satisfied with my food.

The one place I've never been is Moe's. How is the food there?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mo's is great for drinks, and they have great service, but I honestly think the steak is average, but then again I'm one of those people who is very snobby about my steaks and I believe that I cook a better steak than any of the main stream steak houses in Indy.

IMO, if you've never been to Elmo's and you're from Indy and you want a steak and some apps, then Elmo's is the place. Get the shrimp cocktail.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with TJ that if you're staying in Indy and looking for something you can't get anywhere else, St. Elmo's all the way.

Fogo still provides the best bang for the buck. Great steaks, and unreal salad bar, coupled with a great experience. It's tough to beat for what you spend.

Fogo is my recommendation just because I've never left there feeling like I didn't get my money's worth.

I've been to Mo's, Sullivan's with in the last year and both places I left feeling very underwhelmed about the whole experience. A side of Asparagus with cream sauce should not cost $9, and if you order a twice baked potato, you should get the full potato, not half the potato. Nor should a regular baked potato at a fine dinning establishment be smaller than your fist. I expect that at applebees, but not at a steakhouse.

But Fogo.....WOW!
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

I don't think St. Elmos steaks are all that good. Mortons, Shulas, Sullivans, Flemings, Ruth Chris are all better.

I actually don't love steak. I would much rather have Sea Bass which most of the steak houses have and it is excellent.

I will say last week I had a New York Strip steak at Ditka's in Chicago and it was probbaly the best steak I've ever had.

All you can eat doesn't impress me. Are Fogo's steaks as good as the others as far as quality? Never been there so I don't know.

One thing I never do is get a steal at Applebees, Outback or that type of place. Only do I ever get a steak at topnotch restaurants.

But give me Siam Square, Oakleys or R Bistro over any of the steak houses

St. Elmos cuz they go to the Pacer games.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

All you can eat doesn't impress me. Are Fogo's steaks as good as the others as far as quality? Never been there so I don't know.
    houses
    They are probably not as good of a cut as the shear volume of meat they are cooking would make it improbable, but they cook them differently than a standard strip or ribeye. They impale them on a large skewer and cook them over an open flame. So you get a lot of different textures on the meat. From nicely charred sections to very tender. They carve out nice entire cross sections of the meat right from the skewer at your table. I wouldn't say that i have experienced anything less than a stellar meal from Fogo. The idea of getting a few slices of a bunch of different cuts of beef, and lamb chops, chicken, sausages. I wish they offered shrimp though, like giant tiger prawns or something.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Texas Roadhouse.

I love their rolls and cinnamon butter they bring out. So damn good.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

The meat Texas Roadhouse serves should be ground into hamburger. It's that bad.

I guess I'm in the minority on Fogo. I thought the food was generally pretty crappy. You can get a lot, but the beef cuts particularly were very sub par IMO. I did enjoy their pork and chicken cuts though, at least much more than the beef.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but would have to say Bynum's is right up
    there with some of the best.
    If you enjoy eating a skunk's @ss.

Not even in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    The meat Texas Roadhouse serves should be ground into hamburger. It's that bad.
    I just hate over paying for steak. I'd rather just buy steaks and cook them on the grill myself.

I don't think Texas Roadhouse steaks are that bad. I'm not much of a steak snob though. I'll eat just about any steak as long as it's not over cooked. I like mine medium rare.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Has it fallen on hard times or is it just not a "known" or trendy place now because St. Moritz used to have steaks every bit as good as St Elmo's...and I'll put St.E's up against anybody's.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So I have decided on St. Elmos. I was on the fence between them and Ruth Chris. Honestly I found out the owners are Pacer season ticketholders, and even have a Pacers special if you have your ticket. I wont be getting that, but they support my Pacers so Ill return the favor.

So Ill be honest Im not a steak expert. Mostly Roadhouse, and outback. So whats the best cut of steak I should get at Elmos?

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post
    So I have decided on St. Elmos. I was on the fence between them and Ruth Chris. Honestly I found out the owners are Pacer season ticketholders, and even have a Pacers special if you have your ticket. I wont be getting that, but they support my Pacers so Ill return the favor.

So Ill be honest Im not a steak expert. Mostly Roadhouse, and outback. So whats the best cut of steak I should get at Elmos?

What is more important to you. Flavor? or tenderness?

If tenderness is what you want -Filet Mignon is the way to go. This will also be the healthiest

If you like a lot of flavor and don't mind some fat - Ribeye is the way to go.

I typically like New York Strip the best at most places. Sort of a cross between Filet and ribeye.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LetsTalkPacers View Post

Reconsider Fogo! Those gauchos that serve the meat also cook it, in fact, they cook only the cuts of meat they serve usually, and have to be specially trained in preparing that cut. They are meat experts! Like Penguins, I don't mess with the salad bar, etc. I go there for a meat overdose!

Don't reconsider Fogo.

Banned
    Mood

I live in Anderson. So i know at some point Ill try out Fogos. Ive always meant to go there and never have. i have to be able to stand in area55 so i cant od on steak.
    Last edited by LetsTalkPacers; 04-04-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    What is more important to you. Flavor? or tenderness?

If tenderness is what you want -Filet Mignon is the way to go. This will also be the healthiest

If you like a lot of flavor and don't mind some fat - Ribeye is the way to go.

I typically like New York Strip the best at most places. Sort of a cross between Filet and ribeye.
    i was thinking ny strip or porterhouse