Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    In the excitement of beating Houston we kind of neglected that Danny Granger has passed Chuck Person for 10th in all time scoring for the Indiana Pacers.

    With his 32 point performance he now has a career total of 9103 bringing him to 10th.

    Assuming that he does not suffer any injury or does not go into a complete tailspin he should pass Freddie Lewis this season for 9th and he has a decent chance of catching Mel Daniels for 8th.

    Assuming he is back next season and assuming he has a normal scoring year for him it is not out of the realm of possibility that he could jump all the way up to 3rd on the all time scoring list.

    He will never catch Reggie Miller but if he can get another two years here he should be the 2nd all time leading scorer in Pacers history.

    Ironically both Danny & Reggie have the exact same career scoring avg. at 18.2ppg

    Congratulations to the Captain, Danny Granger and here is to several thousand more points before your career is over.

    1. Reggie Miller 25279
    2. Rik Smits 12871
    3. Billy Knight 10780
    4. Roger Brown 10058
    5. Jermaine O'Neal 9580
    6. George McGinnis 9545
    7. Vern Fleming 9535
    8. Mel Daniels 9314
    9. Freddie Lewis 9257
    10. Danny Granger 9103
    11. Chuck Person 9096


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,322

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Good to know, Thanks for the update.
    I really hope Granger is going to be our Paul Pierce
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,536

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good to know, Thanks for the update.
    I really hope Granger is going to be our Paul Pierce
    Me too!

    If we're loyal and are able to obtain enough talent I think he will. So many great careers were very fortunate because of circumstance.

    Charles didn't win a ring because of a lack of talent.

    Kobe didn't win 5 rings because he was so great.

    Teams win. They always have. (go watch golf if you like and believe in individual champions)

  6. #4
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    geez, 2 more seasons and he will be at number 2 most likely. pretty remarkable. I can't see him catching Reggie, but I do think he will hit 20,000. At his current average he would hit it in his 14th year. And we all know Danny plays an "old mans game" one that doesn't rely on athleticism to be effective. I certainly can see him hitting the 20k mark.

    EDIT: just looked, if Danny hit the 20k mark, he would be 38th all time. But that is today and there are some other current players who will certainly hit 20,000. The next player to do it should be Antwan Jamison who is 98 points away.
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 04-03-2012 at 05:05 AM.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Funk Seoul Brother Frostwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,318

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    geez, 2 more seasons and he will be at number 2 most likely. pretty remarkable. I can't see him catching Reggie, but I do think he will hit 20,000. At his current average he would hit it in his 14th year. And we all know Danny plays an "old mans game" one that doesn't rely on athleticism to be effective. I certainly can see him hitting the 20k mark.

    EDIT: just looked, if Danny hit the 20k mark, he would be 38th all time. But that is today and there are some other current players who will certainly hit 20,000. The next player to do it should be Antwan Jamison who is 98 points away.
    forgot how long antawn has been in the league.

    go danny! hopefully he can retire as a pacer with a ring or two to show for it...

  9. #6

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Great for Danny! The margin is small for the other top scorers so in a few year's span, with the addition of playoff games should the team be a constant contender for the coming years, he can top out the other players for scoring.

    He may not achieve the top scoring spot after his basketball career is over, but he can still make a name for himself by winning the first ever NBA championship of the Pacers being its team captain. Let's hope that Danny continues to play well and carry this team to bring home the trophy while he's still at his prime.

  10. #7
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Wow, never realized the pace he was on to the #2. I'm not sure anyone will catch Reggie ever, let alone in my lifetime.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  11. #8
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Hard to believe Vern Fleming had almost 10,000 points. One of the funniest highlights of Vern is in the 4th quarter of Reggie's 25 point explosion in the Garden, when Vern gets hit accidentally in the neck and has to go to the bench. The cameras close up on him holding his neck and for some reason the look on his face as it is being examined cracks me up every time. Terrible, I know.

  12. #9
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    No one catches Reggie. No one.

  13. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one catches Reggie. No one.
    It wouldn't pain me one bit to see a player like Danny Granger surpass Reggie. Danny is an underdog. He's also a damn good player. I hope he remains a Pacer for his entire career.

  14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    That's awesome! The people that have been dogging Granger can suck on that!


    Also, while it's highly unlikely anyone catches Reggie in a Pacers uniform, I wouldn't say it's impossible. If the Pacers end up with a top 5 pick in the future and luck out, they could get a player capable of passing him. Of course that would take convincing him to stay in Indiana his entire career. Guys like Lebron and Durant can pass Reggie if they stay healthy. Evan Dwight Howard is averaging 18.5 points a gamefor his career and he's never played fewer than 79 games in 7 regular seasons.

    I wouldn't bank on anyone ever passing Reggie in a Pacers uniform but if you get a top pick in the right draft, it's possible.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

  16. #12
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,676

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Reggie made the playoffs in an incredible 15 of his 18 seasons, scoring almost 3,000 points (2,972) with an average of 20.6 PPG. If the Pacers make it this year, Danny will only have made the post-season 3 times in 7 years. He's going to have to make it to the Finals (or at least ECF) a couple of years to catch up.

  17. #13
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wouldn't pain me one bit to see a player like Danny Granger surpass Reggie. Danny is an underdog. He's also a damn good player. I hope he remains a Pacer for his entire career.
    It wouldn't bother me. Mainly because I like him a lot and it wouldn't mean he's better than Reggie. Granger was able to get a lot of those points on bad teams and had no choice but to score. So in other words, he was able to stat pad a bit. Reggie was doing it on winning teams and he was doing it against better teams than Granger has faced most of his career. Passing Reggie in scoring and winning a ring still probably wouldn't make me believe he is better than Reggie. Reggie has to go through the Bulls and Knicks every year and when he finally made it to the championship, there's Shaq and Kobe. Although, if Granger averages 25 in the playoffs leads the Pacers past Lebron, Wade, Bosh on his way to a championship, the discussion starts to open up. All of these are big ifs but I would be really impressed if the Pacers beat the Heat while winning a championship. I'll just settle for the championship though because I'd rather they not face the Heat.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Member TOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie made the playoffs in an incredible 15 of his 18 seasons, scoring almost 3,000 points (2,972) with an average of 20.6 PPG. If the Pacers make it this year, Danny will only have made the post-season 3 times in 7 years. He's going to have to make it to the Finals (or at least ECF) a couple of years to catch up.
    Agreed but you have too look at who he spent most of his career playing with. These are some of the starters he has played with... TJ Ford, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts, an injured Jermaine O'neal etc. Reggie might have fared better with that supporting cast but I'm not sure it would be by much.
    "I have never taken the high road, but I tell other people to ’cause then there’s more room for me on the low road."

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Member Drewtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    508
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed but you have too look at who he spent most of his career playing with. These are some of the starters he has played with... TJ Ford, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts, an injured Jermaine O'neal etc. Reggie might have fared better with that supporting cast but I'm not sure it would be by much.

    On the flip side, it's pretty amazing that the top 2 basically played on the same team without either totally dominating the offense for any significant amount of time.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

    Bob Netolicky

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,676

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed but you have too look at who he spent most of his career playing with. These are some of the starters he has played with... TJ Ford, Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts, an injured Jermaine O'neal etc. Reggie might have fared better with that supporting cast but I'm not sure it would be by much.
    Oh definitely. I wasn't saying that as a slight against Danny. Reggie Miller was a great player, but he was also very fortunate to be paired up with some great teammates in his time. I won't mind if Danny surpasses him in points scored, but in order to do so he's going to have to go deep in the playoffs multiple times just to get the minutes necessary to compete.

  24. #17
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,406

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    I think how close Danny gets to Reggie will be determined by how much George develops into a scoring threat.

  25. #18

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    No! Paul George will catch Reggie.

    My future me came to present and told me this valuable information.

  26. #19
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,406

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    I just did a little math, based on the average amount of points Granger has scored since his breakout season (and not including this season), he should pass Smits in just a little over 2 seasons. So as long as his average stays about the same he will pass Smits near the end of the 13-14 season.

  27. #20
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't shed a tear if a whole host of Pacers surpassed Reggie Miller. Miller will forever and always be my favorite player, but the franchise would be a failure if another player did not rise up and become the greatest in the organization.

    Clearly, what makes Miller so rare was not only his scoring capability, but his complete devotion to the Pacer organization. I don't think another Pacer will play for the organization for eighteen years in my lifetime. A few may come close, but Reggie Miller was nearly immortal.

  28. #21
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,422

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Minor quibble Peck, but are you jumping the gun on this? I don't think Granger has passed Rifleman yet. (I've been tracking this too).

    Where did you get the 9103 number? Other sites I've checked say 9080. See:

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danny_...eer_stats.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...grangda01.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...x.aMgH._0mPaB4

    So he should pass Chuck the next game. But the rest of your points stand

  29. #22
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Minor quibble Peck, but are you jumping the gun on this? I don't think Granger has passed Rifleman yet. (I've been tracking this too).

    Where did you get the 9103 number? Other sites I've checked say 9080. See:

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danny_...eer_stats.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...grangda01.html
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...x.aMgH._0mPaB4

    So he should pass Chuck the next game. But the rest of your points stand
    Yeah, Wintermute is right about that. BR is definitely up to date with the Knicks game last night and he's at 9080 regular season Pacers points right now. I also double checked Person for 9096.

    If Danny scores 23 in the next game then



    *wintermute, I don't know if I've said it before but I love the user name reference....unless you really are wintermute which would be even more impressive.

  30. #23
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    I will state right up front that I am not the best at Math in the world so if I'm wrong I will freely admit it.

    But after last nights game vs. the Knicks wasn't that game 53, not 51? Aren't these sites two games behind?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  31. #24
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,422

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *wintermute, I don't know if I've said it before but I love the user name reference....unless you really are wintermute which would be even more impressive.
    Yes you have, but that's all right. Not enough people get it

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will state right up front that I am not the best at Math in the world so if I'm wrong I will freely admit it.

    But after last nights game vs. the Knicks wasn't that game 53, not 51? Aren't these sites two games behind?
    Danny missed a couple of games.

  32. #25
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: Danny Granger moves into 10th in all time Pacers scoring

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes you have, but that's all right. Not enough people get it



    Danny missed a couple of games.
    Well son of gun, you are correct. I totally forgot Danny missed two games.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •