Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Factoids

Default Interesting Factoids

For my 1,000th post (thank you, thank you), I offer this interesting factoid: If we go .500 the rest of the way, well, say 24-23 (because we don't have an even number of games left), we will finish at 37-29, and equal our record from last year, even in this strike shortened season.

Another factoid, as best I can tell after checking most team's schedules: The Pacers, Bulls and Sixers are the only teams that have NOT lost back-to-back games.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Interesting Factoids

According to the website www.teamrankings.com, the Pacers lead the league in 3rd quarter scoring at 25.9 per game and are 3rd in differential at +3.5. In the latter category, we were 12th best in the league last year and finished 24th the year before, in 09-10.

Our team used to specialize in 3rd quarter collapses. Now, those 12 minutes are our best - and by a significant margin. Our scoring average is four points higher (than the average score of the other three), and the only other quarter where we outscore our opponents is the 1st, at +0.1.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Pacers LEAD THE NBA in road games played, and are tied for most road wins.

Teams OVER .500 on the road this year:
    OKC 8-2
    Chicago 8-4
    PACERS 8-5
    Denver 7-3
    Atlanta 7-5
    Orlando 6-4
    Miami 6-3

Keep in mind that the Pacers are ALSO on the LOW end of games played, which means that they have faced the most lopsided Home vs Road schedule so far. And that means they will be facing the most favorable home vs road schedule the rest of the way.

This next week should add to that imbalance lead (haven't checked all schedules) which means they will have cleaned up most of their tough business up front and come away pretty strong in doing so.

The Pacers have played only 6 homes games. Three other teams have played only 7 (Tor, Mil Cle). Three more have played 8 (NJ, Mem, Sac). That's six total within 2 games played at home of the Pacers. Meanwhile nine teams have LOST more home games than the Pacers have played.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Keep in mind that the Pacers are ALSO on the LOW end of games played, which means that they have faced the most lopsided Home vs Road schedule so far.
    It also means they'll have another "hammer" stretch due simply to pace, even if not quality of opponents.

Play enough crappy teams without any rest between, and there will be some odd losses in there.

Not saying it to be negative, just don't want people to think we finish this run and start up a cakewalk.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seth if you don't stop being so positive the earth will stop rotating.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Pacers are 5th in the NBA in win percentage vs. teams with a record of .500 or better. Also one of only 7 teams who can claim a winning record vs. teams .500 or better.

1. Thunder 7-2 (.778)
    2. Heat 7-3 (.700)
    3. Spurs 9-5 (.643)
    4. Clippers 7-5 (.583)
    5. Pacers 4-3 (.571)
    6. Bulls 5-4 (.556)
    7. Blazers 6-5 (.545)

Side note: 76ers & Hawks are 2-4 and 3-6 respectively against opponents with a .500 or better.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    Pacers are 5th in the NBA in win percentage vs. teams with a record of .500 or better. Also one of only 7 teams who can claim a winning record vs. teams .500 or better.

1. Thunder 7-2 (.778)
    2. Heat 7-3 (.700)
    3. Spurs 9-5 (.643)
    4. Clippers 7-5 (.583)
    5. Pacers 4-3 (.571)
    6. Bulls 5-4 (.556)
    7. Blazers 6-5 (.545)

Side note: 76ers & Hawks are 2-4 and 3-6 respectively against opponents with a .500 or better.
    Is this stat yesterday's or is it today's? Cause today Celtics fell to sub .500 and this could make our record go to 2-2.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i believe that stat refers to teams' records at the time of the game. might be wrong though (i actually have no idea...)
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 01-30-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good thread idea.. I'm not sure I can contribute any Pacers facts, but I enjoyed reading all these. Thank ya very much
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Dannys last 10 games.

FG RB PPG

.445 4.4 19.00

Last 5 games vs LA(28% 16 Pts)-Orl(38% 16 Pts)-Chi(56% 22 Pts)-Bos(43% 21 Pts-Orl(50% 24 Pts)

That Equals 44% and 19.8 PPG

Very tough defenses.. Not to mention that we played all those games on the road minus the Orlando one.
    If we would have beaten Orlando we could have been 4-1

WoW.

By me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Is this stat yesterday's or is it today's? Cause today Celtics fell to sub .500 and this could make our record go to 2-2.
    It's still accurate, the Celtics weren't counted in that. The 4 wins were against the Bulls, Lakers, Magic, and Hawks. The losses were to the Magic, Heat, and 76ers.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ndcoltsnpacers View Post
    It's still accurate, the Celtics weren't counted in that. The 4 wins were against the Bulls, Lakers, Magic, and Hawks. The losses were to the Magic, Heat, and 76ers.
    Ok, thanks for the info

What's that they say? Twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend, four times is a.......?

Danny had his fifth game in a row of over 20 points. With at least 36 against the Wolves (with 4 minutes to go in the game), I think it's safe to say that he's out of his slump. His FG% is about 47% over these games, shooting just about 50% in three of the last five.

Here's something I just realized while looking at the schedule. Our next 7 games are all against teams with winning records, while the 7 games after those are all against teams with losing records.

Another thing, after tonight's win against Minny we are tied in the loss column with 6 along with Philly, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago. Since the only team in the league with less loses is Oklahoma with 4, it means we are tied for 2ed along with the other aforementioned Eastern teams and the Clippers who also only have 6 loses.

Paul's now shooting 46% on 3's and 46% overall. If you take out the players that have either only made a couple 3's, or have played in less than 10 games, that puts Paul at 6th in the NBA in 3pt%. Out those 5 players ahead of Paul, only Ray Allen has made more (44-33). 33 puts him at 15th in overall 3pt made.

Someone was talking about Paul being in both the slam dunk and 3pt contests, and i didn't think much of it at the time, but looking at the numbers... he really could. How cool would that be?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

We are nine games above .500

We haven't been nine games above .500 since 2004

Wow

Just wanna add this interesting factoid, although I know you're all very much aware of this:

Currently, our lineup is composed of mid-level draft picks, with the highest at #10 (Paul George). Interesting, considering that all teams have at least one top-level draft pick on their lineup (correct me if I'm wrong ). Here is our lineup and the spot when they were picked in their respective draft:

Roy Hibbert - 17th
    David West - 18th
    Danny Granger - 17th
    Paul George - 10th
    Darren Collison - 21sh
    Jeff Foster - 21st
    Tyler Hansbrough - 13th
    Dahntay Jones - 20th
    Lance Stephenson - 40th
    George Hill - 26th
    Lou Amundson - undrafted
    Jeff Pendergraph - 31st
    AJ Price - 52nd

This makes our current record much, much sweeter!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

FG % after game 26:

Danny .379
    Lance .382

Just something interesting I stumbled across while I was racking my pea brain trying to figure out the PER last night.

I was looking over the individual Pacers in many of the major statistics (PPG, FG%, 2 point %, 3 point %, free throw percentage, FTM, FTA, rebounds/game, defensive rebounds/game, offensive rebounds/game, steals/game, assists/game, assist/turnover ratio, blocks/game, minutes/game, double doubles) and there were only 2 Pacers in the top 10 of any of those statistics. They are:

Hibbert is 9th in blocks per game with 1.73

The Pacer who is best though in any of the categories is Collison. He is 6th in the league in assist/turnover ratio at 2.87.

BTW, Granger is the Pacers leader in minutes played at 33.7 which is only 43rd most in the league. So Vogel seems to be doing a pretty good job at limiting everybody.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Danny at the half way point is 108th out of 110 qualified players in fg% (38%).

I'd be less likely to point out how broke he's been if he could manage to get more then 1.8 apg.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Danny at the half way point is 108th out of 110 qualified players in fg% (38%).
    Well, at least he doesn't suck the most.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    According to the website www.teamrankings.com, the Pacers lead the league in 3rd quarter scoring at 25.9 per game and are 3rd in differential at +3.5. In the latter category, we were 12th best in the league last year and finished 24th the year before, in 09-10.

Our team used to specialize in 3rd quarter collapses. Now, those 12 minutes are our best - and by a significant margin. Our scoring average is four points higher (than the average score of the other three), and the only other quarter where we outscore our opponents is the 1st, at +0.1.
    Here are the updated statistics:

Indiana Pacers Scoring Margins
    1st: -0.8 (23.1 points per)
    2nd: -0.6 (23.1 points per)
    3rd: +3.5 (25.8 points per)
    4th: +0.4 (22.6 points per)

Our differential of +3.5 points and our average of 25.8 points in the 3rd quarter are both league highs. We are, statistically speaking, the best 3rd quarter team in the league.

We're the second best team in 3rd quarter differential (+3.1) on the road (trailing only the Timberwolves) and are the fourth best team in 3rd quarter differential (+4.2) at home (trailing Portland, San Antonio and Philadelphia in that order).

The question is not if we are a better team after halftime, but why?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Here are the updated statistics:

Indiana Pacers Scoring Margins
    1st: -0.8 (23.1 points per)
    2nd: -0.6 (23.1 points per)
    3rd: +3.5 (25.8 points per)
    4th: +0.4 (22.6 points per)

Our differential of +3.5 points and our average of 25.8 points in the 3rd quarter are both league highs. We are, statistically speaking, the best 3rd quarter team in the league.

We're the second best team in 3rd quarter differential (+3.1) on the road (trailing only the Timberwolves) and are the fourth best team in 3rd quarter differential (+4.2) at home (trailing Portland, San Antonio and Philadelphia in that order).

The question is not if we are a better team after halftime, but why?
    Simple coaching, the better question is why isn't this team better during the first half of games?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    The Pacer who is best though in any of the categories is Collison. He is 6th in the league in assist/turnover ratio at 2.87.
    Yet he gets the most consistent hate around here

PS: Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    FG % after game 26:

Danny .379
    Lance .382

Just something interesting I stumbled across while I was racking my pea brain trying to figure out the PER last night.
    At the All-Star break, and exactly halfway through the season, Indy has a whopping six players shooting under 40% from the field. This includes both our overall leading scorer, Danny Granger, and our bench's top scorer, Tyler Hansbrough. Yikes...

Dahntay Jones .392
    Tyler Hansbrough .390
    Lance Stephenson .386
    Danny Granger .382
    A.J. Price .371
    Lou Amundson .350

Jeff Pendergraph is right on the cusp at .400.