Thread: Mickael Pietrus suffered Grade III concussion

Default Mickael Pietrus suffered Grade III concussion

Sounds like it could be career ending...

BOSTON -- Boston Celtics swingman Mickael Pietrus is still feeling the effects of a frightening concussion suffered in a fall last month in Philadelphia and is "going to be out a while," coach Doc Rivers said Sunday.

Rivers said Pietrus suffered a Grade III concussion (the most serious classification), and is still suffering from concussion symptoms, especially light sensitivity, and his timetable for returning to the court is uncertain.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...-not-returning

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Mickael Pietrus suffered Grade III concussion

I feel bad for Mickael

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

that really sucks and i feel really bad 4 him....im wishing him the best of luck

That's awful. It looked bad when he took that fall, but I was hoping it looked worse than it was. Clearly not.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man I hate to see anyone get hurt, and this is one that will stick around and could cause problems down the road worse than the concussion itself.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

I hope he has a full recovery. When I watched the film...and I watched it several times, it did not look like his head hit the floor. It looked like he took a shot prior to falling...but I cannot understand how his head did not smack the floor based on how he fell. Perhaps someone can clear this up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope he has a full recovery. When I watched the film...and I watched it several times, it did not look like his head hit the floor. It looked like he took a shot prior to falling...but I cannot understand how his head did not smack the floor based on how he fell. Perhaps someone can clear this up.
    You are right, his head didn't hit the floor. He seemed to kind of tuck his chin and was able to lead with his elbows, arms and shoulders. They hit the ground first and when they did, there was a rebound and his head, which had been following the downward trajectory of the rest of his body, snapped up. Whiplash. It might have even been better for him if his head had hit the ground.

Ugh. I know they are just a part of the game, but I hate injuries. In my dreams guys battle it out based on training and athleticism without the wildcard of faulty bodies and freak injuries getting in the way.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This is a common misconception about concussions as the typically occur when the head strikes an object or vice-versa. The reality about concussions is that they are an internal injury to the brain and that this doesn't have to be caused from an external source.

If you get an elbow to the head, it knocks your skull into your brain (or vice-versa, I suppose), injuring the brain at the points of contact. But an injury like Pietrus', who as a result of strong neck muscles was able to stop contact with the floor, still resulted in a concussion as a result of the brain hitting the inside of the skull with force cause by the sudden, quick and violent stoppage of the movement of the head even without hitting the floor. It is this injury to the brain where the brain hit the skull and not the opposite that caused the injury as counter intuitive as it may seem.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karlton For This Useful Post:

He should talk to Hans about the ordeal of recovering from a concussion...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

in my basic care and prevention of athletic injuries class, we've learned there is no grading system for concussions anymore, they've realized theres no real way you can classify how severe one is and "grade" it. That said, after seeing the fall, it does look serious, hope he's okay...

This is one of those frightening reminders of how fragile the brain is. This concussion happened to Pietrus without his head ever hitting the floor.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker50 View Post
    in my basic care and prevention of athletic injuries class, we've learned there is no grading system for concussions anymore, they've realized theres no real way you can classify how severe one is and "grade" it. That said, after seeing the fall, it does look serious, hope he's okay...
    The grading system is based off of measureable symptoms, like how long the person was blacked out and of how much of the event they can remember, if any.

And to back what Karlton said, we have a tendancy to think of our brain like it's all connected to our body. Not really. Just like if you were traveling in a car, and the car slams on it's breaks, you feel your body's momentum carrying you forward. Unless you have a seatbelt on, you will hit the dash board. Your brain doesn't have a seatbelt holding it in place. When the car (your skull) comes to a sudden stop, your body (your brain) wants to continue in the direction it was going until it hits something that does stop it, like the dashboard or your skull.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: