Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: Class basketball being reconsidered?

  1. #26
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    I honestly don't give a crap any more. I've been out of high school for 10+ years. Time to move on...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,115

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't give a crap any more. I've been out of high school for 10+ years. Time to move on...

    For one thing coaching matters so that can help to equalize some things to a degree.

    For another.... It matters if tax money gets involved instead of the sport being more self sustaining.... or providing a profit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #28
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't give a crap any more. I've been out of high school for 10+ years. Time to move on...
    ...and yet, here you are...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #29

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    I disagree with the notion that single class means the small schools cannot win anything of significance.

    With single class, the sectionals were heated, local rivalries. If a small school pulled off an upset, or in fact won their sectional, they were local sports heroes for life, to a greater extent than they would be today when advancing much further but "in their class"
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with the notion that single class means the small schools cannot win anything of significance.

    With single class, the sectionals were heated, local rivalries. If a small school pulled off an upset, or in fact won their sectional, they were local sports heroes for life, to a greater extent than they would be today when advancing much further but "in their class"
    Yeah, that's how it was in New Castle, too. As a kid it was instilled in me that sections were a big deal.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    As much as I wish it were legit and they really would do what the people want, I still think it's a big tug job and they're going to do whatever they want to do. I'm afraid it's too late to go back to single class, so I'm thinking some type of hybrid system.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:


  11. #32
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's how it was in New Castle, too. As a kid it was instilled in me that sections were a big deal.
    The fact that you think New Castle fits the description of "small schools" just highlights the problem...

    Its not just you. I vividly remember the last single class championship where the entire state thought that Delta was a "small school."

  12. #33
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that you think New Castle fits the description of "small schools" just highlights the problem...

    Its not just you. I vividly remember the last single class championship where the entire state thought that Delta was a "small school."
    Yeah, what's the typical graduating class at New Castle look like? How many students?

    I graduated with 47 (including me). I consider that a small school.

  13. #34
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with the notion that single class means the small schools cannot win anything of significance.

    With single class, the sectionals were heated, local rivalries. If a small school pulled off an upset, or in fact won their sectional, they were local sports heroes for life, to a greater extent than they would be today when advancing much further but "in their class"
    I like how people that aren't from small schools know how the communities that do make up small school corps feel.

    I graduated with a class of 76. I won back-to-back sectionals in 03 and 04. Our community rallied behind us fully. When you have two towns with 2000 people each, and maybe another 1000-1500 spread out in the country, and 2500-3000 travel two hours away to your regional games, I don't think you could ask for much more support.

    And that's what we took to Tipton in 2003 and to Frankfort in 2004.

    In 2009 we went to semi-state and brought a little more to Huntington North. When you're actually in the community, and see almost literally everyone you know, it changes your perspective a bit.

    I've said this multiple times in the multiple threads we've discussed this. You guys really should go out to 1A and 2A games during sectionals and regionals and see the excitement first hand.
    Last edited by Since86; 04-09-2012 at 02:52 PM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  15. #35
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, what's the typical graduating class at New Castle look like? How many students?

    I graduated with 47 (including me). I consider that a small school.
    Considering that they just went up to 4A, atleast 950.

    EDIT: When I was playing they were a large 3A.
    EDIT2: Sorry, that was a total school size estimate. They have 1176 total, so just shy of 300 per class.
    http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Portals/0/i...%202012-13.pdf
    Last edited by Since86; 04-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.

  16. #36
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, what's the typical graduating class at New Castle look like? How many students?

    I graduated with 47 (including me). I consider that a small school.
    I thought my class was approximately 230-ish in 2002, and I thought I heard some kid the other week saying his class was similar. I just now saw Since's link, and while I guess I can't argue with their numbers, 300 sounds a little high to me. In any case, we're not as big as you might think, though I guess I don't have much reference on it. My impression was that some schools were much bigger, but I could be wrong.

    In any case, I can tell you that despite the raw numbers, New Castle doesn't exactly feel big to anyone who grew up here. It really doesn't. Anyone from here would tell you it feels like a small place, even if there are tiny places that 'look up' to us.

    Regarding my previous post, my point was never to say that I thought of New Castle as a "small school", just that as a kid, during the era of the old system, winning a sectional was thought of as a big deal. I don't think many give a **** anymore (at least in comparison to how it was thought of back then). That was my only point.

    Personally, I don't really care anymore. Certainly not much.

    It was absolutely fun to watch them win the 3A title in 2006, but I'm not going to lie and say I watched a lot of games before or since, either. And hell, even that night when I came on to celebrate on PD, I had someone from the 4A winners school crow about being the REAL champion, which put a bit of a wet blanket on my mood even then.

  17. #37
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    To me it isn't really about the Finals, it's about the Sectionals.

    I remember the Sectionals were all about beating the teams from the next town over, rivalries that were made stronger by the fact you played the teams in the regular season as well as the Sectionals. There were local bragging rights and, since all the teams were local, the house was packed and rocking.

    Now a lot of schools have to travel quite a way to get enough other schools their size for a Sectional, and it isn't practical to play those schools in the regular season. Sectionals are still pretty full, but the distant teams' crowds are pretty overwhelmed by the crowd for whatever school is hosting.

    County tournaments have kind of taken the place of the Sectionals for local excitement, but since those are at the beginning of the season the games aren't as good as they were when all the teams were in rhythm and had the book on one another.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  18. #38
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,115

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Here's something else... If you've got a good team it's pretty much expected you'll go fairly deep in the tourney because the classes have actually watered down the competition. That's true in all classes but especially the smaller classes. Is that really accomplishing anything?

    As said above, the sectionals used to mean something.

    Lost in all this discussion is how the single class, winner-take-all tournament was a part of Hoosier culture. It was recognized nationally. The finals were televised on ESPN (tape delayed).

    It was a source of pride for many... a symbol of the Hoosier state like the Arch is associated with St Louis.

    And then one day the IHSAA decided they had a better idea. To many their reasoning sounded like "If one tournament is good just think what 3 or 4 tournaments with more parity between teams would look like!"

    And lastly- While for years Milan was the symbol that any school could win, that eventually got turned on its ear and they became the symbol that it had been years since a small school had won and so it was now impossible in the modern era. That ignores the deep tourney runs many small schools made in the subsequent years following Milan's win. It ignores close losses some suffered in games that could've gone either way.

    And importantly, it shifted the focus to being all about winning and forgot about character building and pride and knowing you took on the best and gave them all you had.... win or lose.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,179

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Class basketball being reconsidered?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's how it was in New Castle, too. As a kid it was instilled in me that sections were a big deal.
    Schools like New Castle (and Marion, Richmond, Vincennes Lincoln, Kokomo, etc.) are the reason Indiana has class basketball. One big school hosting a sectional with 5 small schools in which the big school won at least 9 out of 10 years.

    The best solution would be to have a hybrid system for the sectionals, and bring all the schools back together for regionals, and leave semi-state and state alone.

    For the record, I was for class sports when it began, and even though my alma mater won 2 state championships shortly after it was installed, I'd vote to go back to single class. It's a better tournament, and just more fun.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Area 55 season thread for 2010-11
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1386
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  2. Official 2010 NBA Draft Recruiting Center
    By Lance George in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2258
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
  3. The Three Ain't For Me
    By Young in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM
  4. Should I find it telling...
    By Bball in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •