Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

  1. #1
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Of course, I'm talking about the 1990 class (that's my class, by the way) who is going to be automatically eligible for this year's draft.

    Everyone listed was born in 1990 and is at the moment 21 or 22 years old. I don't expect any of those to make the first round but they are quite likely to be picked in the 2nd round and stashed.

    I'm not going to do any write-ups about them yet. I'll just post their position, height, libres, nationality and team.

    So, here's the list:

    1) Leon Radosevic: PF/C, 6'10", 238 lbs, Croatia, Armani Milano (Italy + Euroleague).

    2) Duşan Çantekin: C, 7'4", 245 lbs, Serbia (born) / Turkey (national team), Mega Vizura (Serbia).

    3) Ognjen Kuzmic: C, 7'1", 231 lbs, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Unicaja Malaga B Team (Spain - Lega Oro).

    4) David Jelinek: SG, 6'5", 194 lbs, Czech Republic, Joventut (Spain - ACB).

    5) Maik Zirbes: C, 6'10", 257 lbs, Germany, Trier (Germany).

    6) Nihad Đedović: SG/SF, 6'6", 211 lbs, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Galatasaray (Turkey + Euroleague).

    7) Kostas Papanikolaou: SF, 6'8", 225 lbs, Greece, Olympiakos (Greece + Euroleague).

    8) Tomislav Zubcic: PF, 6'11", 229 lbs, Croatia, Cibona Zagreb (Greece + Euroleague Qualifiers)

    9) Andrew Albicy: PG, 5'10", 171 lbs, France, Gravelines (France).

    10) Paul Lacombe: SG, 6'5", 203 lbs, France, Villeurbanne (France + Euroleague Qualifiers).

    11) Gökhan Şirin: PF/C, 6'10, 215 lbs, Turkey, Anadolu Efes (Turkey + Euroleague)

    12) Kostas Sloukas: PG, 6'2", 170 lbs, Greece, Olympiakos (Greece + Euroleague)

    13) Mario Delas: PF, 6'9", 205 lbs, Croatia, loaned to Baltai Kaunas (Lithuania) by Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania + Euroleague)

    14) Rasid Mahalbasić: C, 6'11", 215 lbs, Slovenia (born) / Austria (national team) / Bosnia & Herzegovia (origin), loaned to KK Split (Croatia) by Fenerbahce (Turkey + Euroleague).

    15) Andreja Milutinovic: SG, 6'6", 198 lbs, Serbia, KK Crvena Zvezda (Serbia).

    16) Abder Kader Sylla: PF/C, 6'9" (with a 7'4 wingspan though), 219 lbs, Seychelles, Nancy (France + Euroleague).

    17) Femi Oladipo: SF, 6'7", 210 lbs, Germany, Ulm (Germany).

    18) Ilkan Karaman: SF, 6'9, 230 lbs, Turkey, loaned to Pınar Karşıyaka (Turkey) by Galatasaray (Turkey + Euroleague).

    19) Nikos Pappas: PG, 6'4", 216 lbs, Greece, PAOK (Greece).

    20) Christophe Leonard: SF, 6'7", 210 lbs, Martinique (born) / France (national team), Le Havre (France).

    21) Vladimir Jankovic: SF, 6'8", 200 lbs, Serbia (born) / Greece (national team), Panionios (Greece).

    22) Matias Nocedal: PG, 6'4", 180 lbs, Argentina, Jesi (Italy - Legadue).

    23) Alexis Tanghe: PF, 6'10", 218 lbs, France, Roanne (France).

    24) Jakub Wojciechowski: PF, 7'1" (listed 6'11" and 7'0" but with shoes he is 7'1.04"), 225 lbs, Poland, Benneton Treviso (Italy).

    25) Vladimir Ivlev: PF, 6'9", 205 lbs, Russia, Ryazan (Russia - 2nd division).

    26) Birkan Batuk: SG, 6'6", 191 lbs, Turkey, Pınar Karşıyaka (Turkey).

    27) Dino Muric: SF, 6'7", 200 lbs, Slovenia, Olimpija Ljubljana (Slovenia + Euroleague).

    So, this is how the 1990 class of automatically eligible international players is probably going to look like.

    I don't see anyone going to the first round and since we don't have a 2nd round pick it probably any discussion about those players would be moot but I wanted to post the list, anyway.

    Who knows? Maybe some of those players make an NBA team and prove to be solid rotational guys

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Well we all know that none of them have a place with the Pacers. If we draft them, they will end up never coming over and stashed as trade assets just like Lorbek and Stanko.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. #3
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well we all know that none of them have a place with the Pacers. If we draft them, they will end up never coming over and stashed as trade assets just like Lorbek and Stanko.
    I just hope that we could be able to get more value out of our assets. Just like the Spurs are doing with theirs

  5. #4
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Maybe 2-3 of those guys get drafted. This is a really, really weak international class, coupled with a very strong college class.

    Lucas Nogueira is the only kid anyone is really excited about, and I think he waits another year.

    I do like Radoseivic and Cantkien as projects, but neither guy looks like a cant-miss NBA player. Neither guy is productive enough, even at a euroleague level.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  6. #5
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe 2-3 of those guys get drafted. This is a really, really weak international class, coupled with a very strong college class.

    Lucas Nogueira is the only kid anyone is really excited about, and I think he waits another year.

    I do like Radoseivic and Cantkien as projects, but neither guy looks like a cant-miss NBA player. Neither guy is productive enough, even at a euroleague level.
    You're right. It's a weak class indeed. I know for a fact that the kids from Greece in this class want to stay in Europe.

    I think that Jelinek and Đedović have a small chance to be picked late in the 2nd round.

    I could also see teams being interested in Çantekin's size, Wojciechowski's size relating to his position and Sylla's great wingspan similarly with what the Nets did with Tibor Pleiß in 2010 but due to the strong college class I doubt that more than 2-3 of these guys are drafted.

  7. #6
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just hope that we could be able to get more value out of our assets. Just like the Spurs are doing with theirs
    Hopefully. And probably the best euro player to come to the NBA will be Nando De Colo, who had a very nice growth the last few years and was picked in the 2nd by the Spurs back in '08, if memory serves me well.

  8. #7
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,112
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    What of Fournier?

  9. #8
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully. And probably the best euro player to come to the NBA will be Nando De Colo, who had a very nice growth the last few years and was picked in the 2nd by the Spurs back in '08, if memory serves me well.
    Nando will make a good NBA pickup. He is a very good shooter, can see the floor for a SG and can defend. Also, he is 6'8" which is great for a SG who can also fill minutes as a PG (not even a combo guard, though).

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What of Fournier?
    Evan seems promising. Very good athleticism for the European level and an affinity for getting steals (haven't watched him a lot to say if he gets steals by risking or playing solid D). Not a good shooter, though.

    I don't know if he will translate well to the NBA. His major weapon is his athleticism and this would be overshadowed in the NBA. However, we have to take in mind that the French league is modeled after the NBA when it comes to athleticism so I guess that his athleticism would still be good for the NBA level.

    Anyway, Fournier was born in '91 so he'll be automatically eligible in the following draft and not this one.

  10. #9
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nando will make a good NBA pickup. He is a very good shooter, can see the floor for a SG and can defend. Also, he is 6'8" which is great for a SG who can also fill minutes as a PG (not even a combo guard, though).
    Yeah he's always been a nice shooter, I remember him from his days with Cholet, but he's matured a lot defensively and in seizing the right moments for doing what he does best on offense. Playing in Valencia really helped his development, learned a couple things about running the point as well.

    Btw, I have to nitpick, he's nowhere close to 6'8". He's at best 6'5", and that's being very loose

  11. #10
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah he's always been a nice shooter, I remember him from his days with Cholet, but he's matured a lot defensively and in seizing the right moments for doing what he does best on offense. Playing in Valencia really helped his development, learned a couple things about running the point as well.
    He is going to be a decent addition to an NBA roster. I'm not surprised that the Spurs have him. They know how to choose good Euros.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Btw, I have to nitpick, he's nowhere close to 6'8". He's at best 6'5", and that's being very loose
    You're right

    I went to a site to check his 3pt% this year and that site blatantly lied to me by having him listed as 6'8"

    I should remember that he was not taller than Dimitris Diamantidis when Greece faced France in last summer's Eurobasket.

  12. #11
    Member Marlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    891

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is going to be a decent addition to an NBA roster. I'm not surprised that the Spurs have him. They know how to choose good Euros.



    You're right

    I went to a site to check his 3pt% this year and that site blatantly lied to me by having him listed as 6'8"

    I should remember that he was not taller than Dimitris Diamantidis when Greece faced France in last summer's Eurobasket.
    Now that's another great player. So skilled it's not even funny..no wait, it is.

    I seem to recall you're an Olympiakos supporter -by the way nice series against Siena, you got your revenge from last year and deservedly so; not a fan of how Law or Hines play, but they sure got themselves a nice series, Kyle especially.

    Who you rooting for tomorrow (well, today actually)? Something tells me Maccabi....
    It's gonna be a very hard fought game, must see basketball IMO.
    Last edited by Marlin; 04-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.

  13. #12
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that's another great player. So skilled it's not even funny..no wait, it is.

    I seem to recall you're an Olympiakos supporter -by the way nice series against Siena, you got your revenge from last year and deservedly so; not a fan of how Law or Hines play, but they sure got themselves a nice series, Kyle especially.

    Who you rooting for tomorrow (well, today actually)? Something tells me Maccabi....
    It's gonna be a very hard fought game, must see basketball IMO.
    Yeah, Diamantidis is an amazing player. It would be interesting to see how he would play in the NBA. Too bad that he never wanted to try it.

    You recall correctly, I'm an Olympiakos fan. Thanks for the props, by the way. I like how Law and Hines play. It's not textbook playing for their positions but it is what we needed and it had certainly paid off for us. Joey Dorsey was such a great addition for us as well.

    As far as today's game is concerned. No, I'm not going to root for Maccabi. There's a lot of bad blood between Olympiakos and Panathinaikos supporters but I'm not going to root for the other team.

    I'll be watching the game as a neutral fan. If I'm not sleeping, at least

  14. #13
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Hines is an interesting player. Terribly undersized but it doesn't seem to stop him. Think he can play in the NBA?

  15. #14
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hines is an interesting player. Terribly undersized but it doesn't seem to stop him. Think he can play in the NBA?
    Exactly.6ft6 for a power forward,you'd think someone says a joke...Diamantidis has the same height and he's a point guard!lol.Really good player though from what i have seen of him in the Euroleague.For all his lack of height,he compensates with a great will and he can jump really high.Most of his points,he'll score them in the paint.To answer your question,i don't think he can play in the NBA unless he transforms to a small forward or something /green

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  17. #15
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hines is an interesting player. Terribly undersized but it doesn't seem to stop him. Think he can play in the NBA?
    It doesn't stop him in Europe. NBA is a whole different discussion.

    Hines is playing well when he is playing with Printezis and Antić. Both players are bigger than him (Printezis is 6'9", Antić is 6'10") and can shoot the 3 thus giving him space to work inside the paint.

    In Europe he plays C and some PF. In the NBA he would have to play SF and some PF.

    Hines has some very good traits:

    - Great handles for his position.

    - Great athleticism. He is fast, he is strong and he has hops.

    - Good rebounder.

    - Good finisher at the rim. He has a nice drive and can get to the foul line a lot.

    - Quite good overall defender. Amazing on the PnR. Most European guards cannot drive by him and he will regularly block their attempts. Good help defender.

    - Good shot blocker. He has shown good anticipation and timing. Decent in steals as well.

    - He can lead a break with his handles and speed. He is only a mediocre passer but I've seen him bringing the ball up court.

    - He plays with good levels of energy.

    But he also have a lot of disadvantages:

    - Not a good shooter. Especially, as a SF it would be catastrophic. Lately, he is showing some improvement in this areas as he is developing a jumper from the elbow and slowly improving his FT%. He seems to work on this aspect of his game, at least. No 3 point range at all.

    - Little to no post game. His only move when he's posting someone up is to spin and drive around him. He can go baseline and finish from under the hoop but that's it.

    - Only a mediocre passer. For a PF / C his passing is ok but for a SF in the NBA it would be below par.

    - Not a good post defender due to height. Taller opponents can easily shoot over him. Playing in a team that switches a lot benefits him as he seldomly guards someone in the post.

    Well, that's it about Kyle Hines.

    To make a Pacers comparison, he has Lou's skill set with Dahntay's size. I don't think that this is enough to make it in the NBA.

    But I know one thing for sure. No matter where he plays, he'll always be reliable.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  19. #16
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    I've only seen Jelinik play and he looked solid. Could fill a 'scorer off the bench' type role down the line.

  20. #17
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    At this point, I'd like to say that Nemanja Nedovic of the '91 class decided to declare for this draft.

  21. #18
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Thought of this thread after today's final four games. Shout out to Nuntius, who's Olympiacos team pulled off an upset against favored Barcelona to reach the Euroleague Finals. Pretty big upset, kind of like... well, Pacers beating the Heat would be Good luck in the final.
    Last edited by wintermute; 05-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.

  22. #19
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought of this thread after today's final four games. Shout out to Nuntius, who's Olympiacos team pulled off an upset against favored Barcelona to reach the Euroleague Finals. Pretty big upset, kind of like Pacers beating the Heat would be Good luck in the final.
    Thanks a lot. The final is in Sunday. A bit earlier than the Pacers @ Heat first game. I'm so psyched about this day. Hopefully, one of my teams will pull out a win. Maybe even 2? Who knows?

    I'm just soooo glad

  23. #20
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Now that I think about it, Dusan Cantekin is intriguing. He is huge. However, he is also athletic and quick for his size. He would be a perfect compliment for Hansbrough (and another big man ) even if he doesn't pan out to greatness.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  24. #21
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that I think about it, Dusan Cantekin is intriguing. He is huge. However, he is also athletic and quick for his size. He would be a perfect compliment for Hansbrough (and another big man ) even if he doesn't pan out to greatness.
    Well, Dusan has a really small wingspan for his size (at 6'11). And he looks like a probable bust.

    BUT. If he gets picked it's gonna be late in the 2nd round. Even if he busts, he will be worth the risk for his spot.

    However, I haven't see him play yet. I want to see him play before I form a complete opinion. He does look intriguing, though

  25. #22
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Well Nuntius, at least you got 1 out of 2. Congrats to Olympiacos Man, what a comeback.

  26. #23
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,038

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well Nuntius, at least you got 1 out of 2. Congrats to Olympiacos Man, what a comeback.
    Yup. It was amazing. It made my night. I was shaking for an hour or so

  27. #24
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: International prospects for the 2012 NBA Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup. It was amazing. It made my night. I was shaking for an hour or so
    My soccer team (Manchester City) won their title as well, with 2 goals to win by a single goal in stoppage time, so I was happy until the Devil put his ******* face on TV.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN 2011 offseason grades
    By billbradley in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
  2. Evaluating international prospects
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 3
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  5. Euro Dropoffs and homeland risers...
    By jcouts in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •