Thread: New WR in the Mix for the 2nd round pick

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New WR in the Mix for the 2nd round pick

So Alshon Jeffery had his pro day today.....

Weighed in at 213, 36.5 inch vertical, 10'2" broad jump.

No official 40 but scouts said he rand between low 4.5's and high 4.4's

I had ruled this guy out due to his 4.88 40 rumor, but with speed like that, a nice vertical and very good hands he would be a steal at #34. By many he was a top 10 prospect coming into the season. If he is available I am taking him above, Hill, Sanu, and Randle easily in my view.
    Why so SERIOUS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New WR in the Mix for the 2nd round pick

Like I said beast. I really would love to have this guy. Word around SC is that 4.88 in the forty was a rumor because he gained some pounds, but he cut it down to 215 and ran his usual 4.5 forty. I just hope his stock didn't sky rocket out of our reach.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said beast. I really would love to have this guy. Word around SC is that 4.88 in the forty was a rumor because he gained some pounds, but he cut it down to 215 and ran his usual 4.5 forty. I just hope his stock didn't sky rocket out of our reach.
    Yeah he is still a second round guy, but early second most likely, probably will not slip into the top 32 due to the WR's that teams have on their roster now, possibly SF, but they already have a good group with the additions made through free agency.
    Why so SERIOUS

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd also be interested in the Stanford TE, Fleener.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    So Alshon Jeffery had his pro day today.....

Weighed in at 213, 36.5 inch vertical, 10'2" broad jump.

No official 40 but scouts said he rand between low 4.5's and high 4.4's

I had ruled this guy out due to his 4.88 40 rumor, but with speed like that, a nice vertical and very good hands he would be a steal at #34. By many he was a top 10 prospect coming into the season. If he is available I am taking him above, Hill, Sanu, and Randle easily in my view.
    This comes down to what type of wr you want. Hill is more of a deep post guy and Jeffery is more of a short to intermediate route recieve. Great for the red zone and his hands are better than Hill. The character issues are a concern and who is to say he won't gain the wieght back? This comes down to those major issue but I like GTs track record with wrs.

If the rams don't get Blackmon, dont bet on him slipping to you at 34...

Hopefully Houston will draft Alshon and the Colts can get Hill.

Or Fleener if he somehow slipped out of the first.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Hopefully Houston will draft Alshon and the Colts can get Hill.

Or Fleener if he somehow slipped out of the first.
    One thing about Hill people have to remember is that hw won't be very good his first year simply because he doesn't know how to run all the routes or make adjustment that the QB will make as well. His first year will probably just come down to a few routes and getting on the same page with Luck.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This comes down to what type of wr you want. Hill is more of a deep post guy and Jeffery is more of a short to intermediate route recieve. Great for the red zone and his hands are better than Hill. The character issues are a concern and who is to say he won't gain the wieght back? This comes down to those major issue but I like GTs track record with wrs.
    I think Jeffery's has a better chance ate being a #1, putting him around Wayne would help out with one of his weak points in route running.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    If the rams don't get Blackmon, dont bet on him slipping to you at 34...
    Where did that come from? yeah he really will not make it out of the top 15 most likely not even top 10.

One thing about Hill people have to remember is that hw won't be very good his first year simply because he doesn't know how to run all the routes or make adjustment that the QB will make as well. His first year will probably just come down to a few routes and getting on the same page with Luck.
    You can just give him the Pierre Garcon route tree.
    Why so SERIOUS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

This should not be that big of a deal if he has any kind of work ethic. This will be his job and he can put 8-10 hours a day in on it. Couldnt do that while in school. I would want to find out if the guy is a worker, if he is I would take him and wait, if not - pass!

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This should not be that big of a deal if he has any kind of work ethic. This will be his job and he can put 8-10 hours a day in on it. Couldnt do that while in school. I would want to find out if the guy is a worker, if he is I would take him and wait, if not - pass!
    Learning the routes and running the routes can be done but only when he faces defenses in a game will he be able to truly grow in making adjustments that will help Luck connect with him.

This is really important and why guys tend to take longer and many never pan out do to there lack of understanding how they need to adjust their routes when the DB and safety are playing them a certain way. Luck has to also see it and know what he will do and how the wr will adjust. This is why Wayne is the way he is and why Manning trusted him.

I will give you example from the most important catch in the superbowl and Chris Collinsworth explain it quite well. Mario Manningham basically left Eli a very slim window to throw it down the sideline and it was a difficult catch because the route was ran in such a way that it cut off the sidline and forced it to be a very difficult catch and throw. Mario could have easily forced the DB to adjust to the inside more and left himself more space for Eli to throw but he didn't.

He did the same thing earlier in the game and Eli couldn't fit it in the window and keep his wr in bounds.

Basically I see Hill restricted to a couple of routes and used more to stretch the field for the underneath pass and targeted mainly on play action passes or in other words he has ALOT of work to do.

This is how they will use him early on.

I think Jeffery's has a better chance ate being a #1, putting him around Wayne would help out with one of his weak points in route running.
    Jefferys reminds me of Dez Bryant so if you consider him a number one then sure. He is probably a little less athletic but he has the potential to be that guy and if he had better route running skills he could be a Colston caliber number one.

Thats a big "if" IMO but he could reach to that level.

I see Hill more as a Vincent Jackson type and it took him 4 years to reach 1000 yards with a good Qb.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 03-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Garcon route tree? Isnt that what Avery was brought in for? A small guy can still accomplish that because we already have Wayne and Collie to move the sticks. I would probably pass on Hill if Fleener is available. We could use a TE that can dominate the middle of the field!

Mood

Jefferys reminds me of Dez Bryant so if you consider him a number one then sure. He is probably a little less athletic but he has the potential to be that guy and if he had better route running skills he could be a Colston caliber number one.

Thats a big "if" IMO but he could reach to that level.

I see Hill more as a Vincent Jackson type and it took him 4 years to reach 1000 yards with a good Qb.
    I could see those comparisons, yeah I think Dez is a lot quicker and more versatile as a returner as well. I think Jeffery's will be a more consistent pass catcher, that Colston comparison for his peak seems right on.

I think Hill has a ton of potential, and could exceed VJ, it just all depends on how he grows.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Garcon route tree? Isnt that what Avery was brought in for? A small guy can still accomplish that because we already have Wayne and Collie to move the sticks. I would probably pass on Hill if Fleener is available. We could use a TE that can dominate the middle of the field!
    Nope, Avery is not as physical, probably will not be as good on the bubble screens as Garcon was, Avery will get the deep routes though, where he really excelled in College.

I think I would also go Fleener if he is available, for 3 reasons... his relationship with Luck, his natural abilities, and that is probably our weakest position on the team right now.
    Why so SERIOUS

I could see those comparisons, yeah I think Dez is a lot quicker and more versatile as a returner as well. I think Jeffery's will be a more consistent pass catcher, that Colston comparison for his peak seems right on.

I think Hill has a ton of potential, and could exceed VJ, it just all depends on how he grows.

Nope, Avery is not as physical, probably will not be as good on the bubble screens as Garcon was, Avery will get the deep routes though, where he really excelled in College.

I think I would also go Fleener if he is available, for 3 reasons... his relationship with Luck, his natural abilities, and that is probably our weakest position on the team right now.
    Griggs said Avery was brought in to stretch the field. I just see him as too small to do much else (not to mention his injuries). Fleener would be a terrific pick but I bet he will be long gone.

Where did that come from? yeah he really will not make it out of the top 15 most likely not even top 10.

I am taking about alshon...at 33 the rams would take him if Blackmon doesn't fall to them at 6

He'd have one of the best route runners to teach him.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I am taking about alshon...at 33 the rams would take him if Blackmon doesn't fall to them at 6
    Oh ok gotcha, yeah if Alexander can ever get healthy Alshon would be a good fit there, have Danny in the slot, Alexender for the deep routes, and Alshon for short and medium.

Didn't they sign a FA wideout as well?
    Why so SERIOUS