Thread: Colts season ticket renewals drop below 90 percent

Default Colts season ticket renewals drop below 90 percent

Good news for those wanting to move on up the waiting list

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...drop-below-90-

Colts season ticket renewals drop below 90 percent

It’s hardly doomsday, but Indianapolis Colts season ticket renewals have dipped to 87 percent, the first time they’ve fallen below 90 percent in a decade.

“It is true,” said Pete Ward, the Colts COO, “but it’s also the first time we have had double-digit losses since ’98. So it’s not a shocker.”

Fact is, the Colts went 6-10 in 2001, but that was a blip amidst a relentless run of 10-win seasons.

It was their 2-14 collapse last season that impacted renewals, whose deadline came before the club released iconic quarterback Peyton Manning and fan favorites like tight end Dallas Clark and linebacker Gary Brackett.

With a waiting list of 9,000, the Colts will have no problem maintaining sellouts at Lucas Oil Stadium, but the wait list and Indianapolis’ status as a football town are likely to be tested over the next couple of seasons.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts season ticket renewals drop below 90 percent

Indianapolis is not a basketball town. Indianapolis is not a football town. Indianapolis is a fair weather town.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Of course it is I've said this for years(as have others)

I would suspect the majority for most cities is fair weather. And I wouldn't panic on the Colts attendance just yet. When they start blacking out games then come back and say I told you so.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would suspect the majority for most cities is fair weather. And I wouldn't panic on the Colts attendance just yet. When they start blacking out games then come back and say I told you so.

Exactly. I'm sure there is a bit more interest in the NY Giants now than there was in the mid 2000's when they were putting out mediocre seasons and not winning Super Bowls. It's just that NY/NJ is so big that blackouts are never going to be an issue.

Of course there is going to be a bit less interest in the Colts without Manning. But there are plenty of people on the wait list so it's not like blackouts are going to be an issue. There are still plenty of people interested in this team.

Here's the link to last year's attendance figures. I would have just pasted it here but it kept getting all the figures bunched together.

The bottom feeders are smaller market midwest towns like Cincinnati and St. Louis. Which just proves as we've discussed that small markets are going to have trouble supporting teams with losing records.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Indianapolis is not a basketball town. Indianapolis is not a football town. Indianapolis is a fair weather town.
    Dude, every town is like that. It dropped to 87%, hardly a crisis. I can guarantee you, every single town that goes through a 2-14 season --- would see a decline. This gets so annoying that people act like Indy is different, and has a buncha crappy fans. EVERY single town is the same way.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Dude, every town is like that. It dropped to 87%, hardly a crisis. I can guarantee you, every single town that goes through a 2-14 season --- would see a decline. This gets so annoying that people act like Indy is different, and has a buncha crappy fans. EVERY single town is the same way.
    I don't buy the notion that every city would have a drop like this in anticipation of the best pro prospect since Peyton himself.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well you should.... we already discussed this. Fairweather. Every town is. My point wasn't that Indy isn't fairweather... but that every city is. Most people on this forum are fairly hardcore... most people on the street dont know Andrew Luck... yet.

And even to combat your point, I'd even say that we have some very passionate fans, because I know first-hand a large contingent of big Colts fans who are still very upset about getting rid of Manning and specifically cancelled their tickets for that reason.

They'll come back when they see how good Luck is.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe its just market size, but its weird to me to hear of problems with attendance after all the success the Colts had (and the Colts are not the only team) but the Redskins can suck terrible and I swear every game I meet a new fan who drives from North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Delaware, etc week after week to watch the game.

As far as ticket renewals, it is still kind of early, isn't it? Especially since the first pick will be kind of a big selling point I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Maybe its just market size, but its weird to me to hear of problems with attendance after all the success the Colts had (and the Colts are not the only team) but the Redskins can suck terrible and I swear every game I meet a new fan who drives from North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Delaware, etc week after week to watch the game.

As far as ticket renewals, it is still kind of early, isn't it? Especially since the first pick will be kind of a big selling point I would think.
    To be fair I don't think its just one losing season there are other factors like the economy. Not everyone can afford the luxury of an NFL game I mean why pay for parking, food etc and a ticket to the game when you can stay at home and watch the game.

However once upon a time who would've thought the Pacers would have a hard time selling out games despite having a hardcore fanbase.

And this is a Basketball state

Manning made it into a football state for a while though.

If Luck pans out this isn't an issue but if he doesn't... yeah.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

All good points, but the economy took a huge hit here, and fans still attend.

Just weird, and as somewhat of a nerd it makes me wonder what the difference is (or if it really is just market size)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you guys are confusing season ticket holders, with sell-outs. Indy still sells out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yeah I love hearing people whose favorite teams are:

NFL = Cowboys (or Bears)
    NCAA Football = Notre Dame
    NBA = Lakers (or Bulls)
    NCAA Basketball = Indiana

I'm not calling anyone on the board out on this but I know multiple people who fit the above description. They rip on Indy as being all fair weather. Any and every team who has success will have their fair share of fair weather fans. Especially when a team has as much success as the Colts have had. Most teams never sniff what the Colts have had for 10 years.

ND has fairweather fans. We havent been good enough in quite a while to carry fairweather fans

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post: