Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 100

Thread: Advertisements on Uniforms?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,389

    Default Advertisements on Uniforms?

    The other evening, during halftime of the Pacers-Heat game, the League Pass Broadband audience was presented with an NBATV segment about the league examining the possibility of allowing advertisers to buy ad space on NBA uniforms. I thought it was a topic worthy of discussion on this forum. Here is an article on the subject:

    NBA teams could vote on jersey sponsorships in April
    John Lombardo and Terry Lefton, SportsBusiness Journal

    With the NBA positioning itself as the most global of leagues, will it soon join the rest of the world by selling advertising on uniforms? The sticky issue will be debated, if not voted on, at the next board of governors meeting in April.

    It’s a touchy topic, one that involves balancing some of the most influential league constituencies and addressing some thorny questions: Would uniform patches be league or team inventory? Will NBA broadcasters TNT and ESPN/ABC, or even uniform rights holder Adidas, want a piece of the action? Would the league take a PR hit as the first to accept non-endemic ads on uniforms?

    Of course, the most important issue is also the most basic. “The most appropriate question and the answer we’re all waiting for is, ‘What is it worth?’” said Golden State Warriors president and COO Rick Welts, who did the WNBA’s first uniform advertising deal between the Phoenix Mercury and LifeLock in 2009. “I am not suggesting this is an easy issue, but I feel like it is inevitable. We just have to agree on value and what it would look like.”

    In the case of the Mercury, the biggest logo on its uniform became LifeLock’s across-the-chest jersey patch, while the team logo on the jersey shrank to about the same size as the Adidas logo. The WNBA followed suit last year, with a Boost Mobile ad patch deal on the uniforms of 10 of the league’s 12 teams.

    A study released last year by Horizon Media calculated that a brand logo across the middle of an NBA team’s jersey occupying 3.5 percent of the TV screen would produce $31.18 million in exposure value.

    However, the study did not factor in ancillary exposure on highlights and news shows, nor did it account for any online exposure.

    “Jersey ads are one of the last pieces of inventory that club marketers haven’t been able to sell, and for a local sponsor they could be a real boon, since it would give them exposure with a team at home and away,” said Michael Neuman, managing partner of Horizon’s Scout Sports and Entertainment.

    The impact on some of the NBA’s more tradition-bound logos, and the disparity between potential revenue in various markets, are other factors to consider. Still, it’s hard to imagine a club marketer voting against the proposal, especially if would be their inventory.

    “Obviously, it’s a league decision, but as someone who spent seven years at NASCAR, I know the value of putting a brand on the playing field and the uniform, so it is certainly something I would support,” said New Jersey Nets CEO Brett Yormark. “You can monetize this in ways you can’t monetize any other kind of marketing inventory. And, of course, we’re in the No. 1 market in the country, so ...”

    But other team executives are more hesitant about blending team marks with a company logo as they address questions such as size and placement on the uniform.

    “It is something we are wrestling with,” said an NBA team executive from a large market. “There are challenges, and the question is whether there is a way to do it differently.”

    From potential sponsors, there’s an appetite.

    “Without a doubt, there’s already interest,” said Mark Tatum, NBA executive vice president of global marketing partnerships, outside the league’s annual All-Star Technology Summit that was held at Orlando’s Waldorf-Astoria. “It’s certainly not automatic, but if we do it, it would be a big deal, so we are spending a lot of time evaluating.”

    Added Sal LaRocca, NBA executive vice president of global merchandising: “The good news is that Adidas has a lot of experience with this from their football (soccer) business. We continue to talk internally about the best way to approach the market, determining whether having sponsored logos on jerseys would be incremental or just a diversion of money that would go somewhere else. We’re trying to balance a lot of constituencies.”

    The issue gets even stickier. Remember that the NBA is still the only major American sports property without any logo on its game uniform other than its own—Adidas has logos only on NBA warm-ups. One senior licensing industry source said Adidas was already in discussions with the league about moving its logo to the uniform, which might obviate the other conversations.

    “We are looking at all of the different elements and stakeholders, but it is an ongoing conversation,” said Chris Granger, executive vice president of the NBA’s team marketing and business operations department.

    Welts suggested one intermediate step might be an advertising patch on warm-ups. “I’m guessing that this would be a process, not a 0-to-60 rush,” Welts said.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I can't wait for the day the Pacers wear a jersey that says 'Walmart' instead of 'Indiana'...

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,335

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd be fine with it. A little shoulder patch, maybe something on the back above the name. They're not going to take out PACERS and replace it with St. Elmo's or something.

    adidas can't even have their logo visible on game uniforms.

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    im fine with it. why wouldnt i be?

  8. #5
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,305

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I don't have a problem with it. Eventually, you don't even notice it.

  9. #6

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I think it would be a little bumpy to do this at first, but after a while people would get used to it. Look at European soccer, every team has a massive logo on its jersey and it doesn't seem out of place at all. People often buy new kits when the team they support get a new sponsor. Also, MOST of the logos in Europe are black or white so it doesn't detract from the shirt much.

  10. #7
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Does every freaking square inch of everything in our culture have to have an advertisement pasted on top of it? Don't you say "enough" after a certain point?

    We already gave up the names to our concert and sport venues (thank you, Banker's Life Fieldhouse, Verizon Wireless Music Center, and Lucas Oil Stadium, for emphasising and enriching the local culture).

    I suppose this was going to happen sooner or later but that doesnt mean I have to like it. Im certainly going to think twice about shelling out 80 bucks for a team jersey that has a Wells Fargo logo plastered over the front of it. Yuck no thanks.
    Last edited by rabid; 03-27-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

  11. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,389

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I am 100% opposed to it. Is any place safe from advertisers? At some point, making more money ceases to be the most important thing in the world.

    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 03-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.

  13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  14. #9
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,518

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    **** no. That **** flies in Europe but I don't want it in the United States. Isn't Bankers Life Fieldhouse, the Coca Cola player of the game, the Prudential Halftime Report, the Papa Johns Delivery (assist of the game) enough for these locusts? I like soccer but won't buy soccer jerseys because I am not interested in advertising for the Qatar Foundation or UNICEF for free.

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    If this were to happen, they would at the very least have to pool the revenues and split them evenly between all the teams. Otherwise it's just a way for the rich to get richer. If they don't evenly split the money, then teams with star players, high attendance, and many games on national TV will obviously get the most out of it.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    RLeWorm
    Guest

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    are u guys stupid? why would u want advertisements on unis? that's stupid as hell. it well never go through.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to RLeWorm For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    To all who are so against this idea, what if jersey ad revenue helped smaller markets keep their teams? What if it helped the Pacers stay in Indy?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I don't really like the idea.. But IF it were to occur, there would be a few stipulations that would have to be in place.. (amongst others)

    1. would be , that the actual teams get a major percentage of the pie..
    and
    2. Sponsorship logos/ads are to be allowed to be placed ONLY on actual player's jerseys/gear.. In NO way, shape or form should it be allowed on jerseys/gear that is sold to the public.. That would be a bunch of BS, that as a fan, we would in essence be a free walking billboard for these sponsors.. Plus I don't,nor will wear stuff with a bunch of advertising on it.. I'll be damned if I wear an NBA jersey with corporate logos all on it ..


    .

  23. #14
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To all who are so against this idea, what if jersey ad revenue helped smaller markets keep their teams? What if it helped the Pacers stay in Indy?
    $31.18M in exposure value, according to that article? Meaning $1.0M per team?



    Not worth it.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  25. #15

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    If it helps the Pacers make money and it's not over-the-top.

  26. #16
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Isn't this the exact reason that the Grizz are the Memphis Grizzlies and not the Express? No way in hell this works.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  27. #17

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    are u guys stupid? why would u want advertisements on unis? that's stupid as hell. it well never go through.
    Harsh! Try to conduct yourself better...professionalism goes along way.



    Personally, I hope this does not go through, but basketball and sports in general revolves around money. If it doesn't happen now then don't be surprised if the idea will be revisited in the future. It will be a slippery slope once a jersey is covered with a logo. Within five seasons that damn jersey will be covered with a million logos and the purity of the jersey will be gone.

  28. #18
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    I hate the idea. We already have to deal with long commercial breaks. Now they want us to watch ads on jerseys?

    A 40-48 minute game (depending on college or pro) takes over 2 hours. Football is even worse with 60 minute games taking over 4 hours to complete

    I think we suffer enough with advertisements.

    If it passes, then it may start out small but don't be shocked if it turns into nascar. Maybe the announcer could say "Delivered long distance by Papa Johns" after every made 3 pointer? Maybe an ice cream shop plugin after someone scoops up a rebound.
    Last edited by Swingman; 03-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.

  29. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,017

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To all who are so against this idea, what if jersey ad revenue helped smaller markets keep their teams? What if it helped the Pacers stay in Indy?
    Cause it doesn't work like that.






  30. #20

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cause it doesn't work like that.





    Why wouldn't it?

    The WNBA has done this for a few years (although their advertisement is much more blatant than I assume the NBA's would be) and the advertisement money goes directly to the team. It's stabilized quite a few WNBA teams. (in fact, I think the Fever wear it.)

    If NBA owners are truly struggling for money, this is a good way to collect some.

  31. #21
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    If the NBA does this they can kiss about 98% of their jersey sales goodbye. No one is going to want to buy a LeBron jersey if there is a picture of the Geico Gecko on the front of it.

    I'm totally against it. Can't we just leave something alone for once? Does everything always have to be "fixed?" There's nothing wrong with the jerseys now. For once can we let something be sacred without the almighty dollar destroying it?

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:


  33. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by pezasied182 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it would be a little bumpy to do this at first, but after a while people would get used to it. Look at European soccer, every team has a massive logo on its jersey and it doesn't seem out of place at all. People often buy new kits when the team they support get a new sponsor. Also, MOST of the logos in Europe are black or white so it doesn't detract from the shirt much.
    The reason they have advertising on soccer jerseys in Europe is because they don't have commercial breaks during the game. You get two uninterrupted 45-minute halves. The ads on the jerseys are a major source of revenue for these teams. Also, nicknames are not a part of Europeans sports. There are no Pacers, Bears, Tigers, or Lions. The teams are the name of the city or a neighborhood (or usually something along those lines). Jerseys change every year; there is little value placed on jersey tradition with most clubs. However, the seal always stays the same. Fans buy clothing with the seal or the colors. I don't know if the fans stopped caring about jersey tradition because of the ads, or the ads made fans stop caring about jersey tradition. However, it's difficult to compare soccer with basketball. The advertising is completely different.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    1,147
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does every freaking square inch of everything in our culture have to have an advertisement pasted on top of it? Don't you say "enough" after a certain point?


    Guess not...

  36. #24
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Let me know when any Knicks fan likes their new jersey (if this passes)

    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Advertisements on Uniforms?

    Would Bankers Life pay some of my mortgage if I agreed to put their name in big letters on the street side of my house in big letters?

  39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. pity the poor Broncos, these are their throwback uniforms:
    By Slick Pinkham in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM
  3. Pacers voted as haviong best uniforms
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 02:37 AM
  4. The new uniforms are done, just not revealed.
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 02:09 AM
  5. Retro Uniforms
    By Roy Munson in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •