Thread: Grigson: Freeney staying in Indy

Default Grigson: Freeney staying in Indy

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...h-colts-gm-say
    After much speculation he might be traded to join other high-profile veteran stars in leaving the team, Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney is staying in town. General manager Ryan Grigson made a definitive statement to reporters regarding Freeney's future with the team on Monday.

“Everyone knows Dwight’s a great player. He’s going to be here this year,” Grigson said, per the Indianapolis Star. “He hopes and fully expects to be a major contributor and a guy who strikes fear in our opponents and offensive lines every week. ... He's a Colt, period."

Dwight Freeney gets the word on his future: He'll remain a Colt.
    Freeney, a seven-time Pro Bowl player, has 102.5 sacks, a career franchise high for the Colts. But at 32, he shows signs of slowing, as 2011 marked his first fully healthy season with fewer than double-digit sacks since 2006.

Keeping Freeney is an expensive luxury for the Colts, who are rebuilding their team and defense under new coach Chuck Pagano. Freeney is scheduled to be paid a little more than $14 million for his services next season.

Three weeks ago, the Colts used the franchise tag on their other longtime starting end, Robert Mathis, before rewarding Mathis with a four-years
    I guess it's hard to figure these guys out. I'm not mad, but I can't think of anyone that thought Freeney would still be here with that price tag. Glad to know he's staying.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grigson: Freeney staying in Indy

Glad to have him back.

More info here:
    Ryan Grigson made one thing emphatically clear during a midday conference call today with local media:

Dwight Freeney isn’t going anywhere.

“Everyone knows Dwight’s a great player. He’s going to be here this year,” said Grigson, the Colts first-year general manager. “He hopes and fully expects to be a major contributor and a guy who strikes fear in our opponents and offensive lines every week.

“He’s a Colt, period.”

Grigson dismissed reports that the Colts had sought trade offers for Freeney and said the club hasn’t looked at the possibility of revisiting his contract for purposes of restructuring.

Freeney’s base salary this season, the final year of his contract, is $14 million and he will count a prohibitive $19 million against the salary cap.

If the Colts have decided which quarterback to pick, Stanford’s Andrew Luck or Baylor’s Robert Griffin III, with the first pick in the April 26 draft, Grigson wouldn’t admit it. He said the evaluation process is ongoing as it would be with any other player or position, but admitted it’s “a little more under the microscope.”

If the Colts were to reach an early decision, Grigson said there would be no negotiations or signing before the draft.

“We’re going to use the process every minute ’til we’re on the clock,” he said.

The Colts are hamstrung by salary cap issues that include nearly $38 million in “dead money,” bonuses paid players no longer with the team but not yet counted against the salary cap.

Still, they have been very active and aggressive in acquiring players and rebuilding their depleted roster. They have signed six free agents, traded for two other players and kept Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Mathis with a new contract.

“Just working,” Grigson shrugged, “doing our job. Come into the office every day and try to improve the team any way we can.”

The top priority has been reconstructing and reinforcing the offensive line. The Colts will have a very valuable quarterback to protect, whomever they choose. They have traded for tackle Winston Justice and signed a pair of free agents, center Samson Satele and center/guard Mike McGlynn.

“We’re trying,” said Grigson, himself a standout tackle at Purdue. “It all starts up front. I know that going way back. . . . If you have holes up there, things aren’t going to go very well for your or for your quarterback.”
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...t|IndyStar.com

Question?(not a very knowledgeable football guy here)
    How will they use him?
    Will there not be a pass coverage issue with both Mathis and Freeney at the linebacker positions? Or do other teams that us the 3-4 def. have guys like these two?

I just don't know much about the 3-4.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hear what Grigson said but I could still see them trading him if the price is right, I just think that is the way the NFL works to often. Unless he restructures his contract I think the possibility of a trade will be there.
    Why so SERIOUS

This just tells me they couldn't get anything they wanted in a trade, and that there weren't any free agents they needed the money for.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This just tells me they couldn't get anything they wanted in a trade, and that there weren't any free agents they needed the money for.
    I think more of the 2nd thing than the first, there were rumors of Freeney for 1st and 2nd round picks, and there is always some truth to these rumors.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I think more of the 2nd thing than the first, there were rumors of Freeney for 1st and 2nd round picks, and there is always some truth to these rumors.
    If we got offered that he's gone. A rumor does not make it so.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    If we got offered that he's gone. A rumor does not make it so.
    As much talk as there was I am pretty sure we got offered something, it seems like he would be gone, but we will never know.

I think Pagano really likes the guy and when he said he would restructure then it made it okay to keep him around.
    Why so SERIOUS

RLeWorm

i wanna see freeney retire here! don't trade him he can still play. same goes for mathis. Who cares if they suck later on i wanna see them be a colt for life

Maybe they didn't get what they wanted. But maybe playing in a new system for an aggressive, defensive-minded head coach will be like uncaging a wild bull.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Maybe they didn't get what they wanted. But maybe playing in a new system for an aggressive, defensive-minded head coach will be like uncaging a wild bull.
    Will he be more effective being a Terrel Suggs type LB? Suggs is an aggressive pass rusher isnt he? Seems that would be a pretty good idea of how they will use him.

Mood

I was one who thought Freeney was sure to be gone. Maybe there is something that the coaching staff saw in him that they think will make his transition to the 3-4 easier than I had envisioned him.

What the Colts saw in him were other teams so sure the Colts would cut him, or trade from a position of weakness or desperation, that they didn't make any worthwhile offers. That is my guess as to why he's a Colt and they (apparently) decided to make a go of it with him. If nothing else it shows other teams if they want him they have to pony up or the Colts will keep him.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    What the Colts saw in him were other teams so sure the Colts would cut him, or trade from a position of weakness or desperation, that they didn't make any worthwhile offers. That is my guess as to why he's a Colt and they (apparently) decided to make a go of it with him. If nothing else it shows other teams if they want him they have to pony up or the Colts will keep him.
    Which, if true, is a good decision by the Colts not to cave.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata