Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our beloved, but less than brilliant, Danny Granger

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Our beloved, but less than brilliant, Danny Granger

Granger's performance around the 2:30 mark last night was a nice encapsulation of his career.

We are down five points. He gets the ball in the corner and lights up a three to get us within two.

Now . . . all we need is a strong defensive stop to tie the game. Instead within the first few seconds Granger tries to poke it away from Grant Hill way out on the perimeter. He clearly fouls him, but, thankfully, the refs don't call it. Not to deter him, Granger reaches in again, this time forcing the refs to call the foul.

We are in the penalty. Grant Hill is a fine free throw shooter. He hits them both, making it a two possession game, once again. And we could never recover from there.

It was such a stupid defensive play that at first I thought Paul George had done it. Surely, this was the work of an inexperienced 21 year old.

No, it was Danny. And these are the kinds of undisciplined, unthinking plays we have watched Granger perform throughout his career. And he mixes them in with superb, clutch shots down the stretch.

We probably have no chance to win without his clutch shots. And we probably lose our chance to win with his poorly timed defensive mistakes down the stretch.

A microcosm of our Danny Granger for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 03-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Our beloved, but less than brilliant, Danny Granger

Danny himself knew it was a bad foul. The announcers were talking about the look on his face after he did that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger's performance around the 2:30 mark last night was a nice encapsulation of his career.

We are down five points. He gets the ball in the corner and lights up a three to get us within two.

Now . . . all we need is a strong defensive stop to tie the game. Instead within the first few seconds Granger tries to poke it away from Grant Hill way out on the perimeter. He clearly fouls him, but, thankfully, the refs don't call it. No to deter him, Granger reaches in again, this time forcing the refs to call the foul.

We are in the penalty. Grant Hill is a fine free throw shooter. He hits them both, making it a two possession game, once again. And we could never recover from there.

It was such a stupid defensive play that at first I thought Paul George had done it. Surely, this was the work of an inexperienced 21 year old.

No, it was Danny. And these are the kinds of undisciplined, unthinking plays we have watched Granger perform throughout his career. And he mixes them in with superb, clutch shots down the stretch.

We probably have no chance to win without his clutch shots. And we probably lose our chance to win with his poorly timed defensive mistakes down the stretch.

A microcosm of our Danny Granger for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.
    If you haven't learned to love him by now, then it probably isn't going to happen. You have to take the good with the bad, and that goes for pretty much everything in life.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's easy to ridicule these things as a fan. In game speed and the heat of the moment Danny had a split second to make a decision, and it could've went either way really. Had he gotten the steal we would be singing his praises.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

7. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    It's easy to ridicule these things as a fan. In game speed and the heat of the moment Danny had a split second to make a decision, and it could've went either way really. Had he gotten the steal we would be singing his praises.
    Exactly! I Swear when you sign up for an internet message board people think they were just hired by the team!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lord, Danny was picked 17 in the draft and signed a very reasonable contract to stay in Indiana of all places when he was in high demand. Danny has been great for Indiana. Is he perfect? No, who is? But please, be happy with what he is.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    Not me. I believe in disciplined, fundamental basketball. So does Indiana, as state (in theory, anyway). You are supposed to exhibit self control down the stretch to win a game, not go for some low odds steal.

While Danny impresses in several ways, on this score he disappoints me. He certainly is no Tim Duncan.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Re: Our beloved, but less than brilliant, Roy Hibbert
    In the 4th quarter when the game was on the line Roy had 2 really bad turnovers: A moving/hard screen that knocked Grant Hill to the ground, and another screen that was set out of bounds.
    A microcosm of our Roy Hibbert for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.

Re: Our beloved, but less than brilliant, Frank Vogel
    Indiana Coach Frank Vogel was upset with the officiating much of the night but lost control in the fourth quarter, picking up a technical with 5:11 remaining, and then another with 1:56 to go to draw an ejection. Phoenix's two free throws as a result of those technicals equaled the final margin.
    A microcosm of our Frank Vogel for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    In the 4th quarter when the game was on the line Roy had 2 really bad turnovers: A moving/hard screen that knocked Grant Hill to the ground, and another screen that was set out of bounds.
    A microcosm of our Roy Hibbert for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.

Indiana Coach Frank Vogel was upset with the officiating much of the night but lost control in the fourth quarter, picking up a technical with 5:11 remaining, and then another with 1:56 to go to draw an ejection. Phoenix's two free throws as a result of those technicals equaled the final margin.
    A microcosm of our Frank Vogel for YOUR Indiana Pacers. He is good, but he is not perfect, and I guess we have to learn to love him.
    I understand that the idea of not being perfect applies to everyone.

But I don't see Roy and Frank having established a clear pattern of poor decisions based on lack of discipline and fundamentals.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not me. I believe in disciplined, fundamental basketball. So does Indiana, as state (in theory, anyway). You are supposed to exhibit self control down the stretch to win a game, not go for some low odds steal.

While Danny impresses in several ways, on this score he disappoints me. He certainly is no Tim Duncan.
    Well no ****** sherlock. Maybe this is part of the problem. Thinking of him in the same light of Tim Duncan-one of arguably the 10 best players of all time and definitely one of the most cerebral players of all time-is probably going to lead to a lot of disappointment.

At least Danny didnt seriously flirt with another team and almost leave the small town market where he made his mark. Duncan cant say the same.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Well no ****** sherlock. Maybe this is part of the problem.
    Or maybe part of the problem is that a high standard for fundamental basketball ought not to be compromised.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Where is mention of collisons poor shot selection?
    Where is mention of Paul's terrible stupid no look pass TO?
    I hate it when he tries to maketge flashy plays. It always results in
    TO. And it cost us last night

By me ^^

23. The Following User Says Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Right. Ok.

Duncan was a #1 overall pick. Danny was a #17.

Duncan makes $21M/year, Danny $12M.

But yeah, lets hold Granger to the same standard as Duncan. You know, the standard that all but maybe 50-60 players OF ALL TIME would fall short of.

Yes, Danny made a bad play. However, he was being aggressive and got caught up in the moment. Yeah, the Pacers should never lose a game, and Granger should never make a mistake, but that happens.

The pessimism is killing me.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Big Roy is only going to get better, if that's not clear enough now. The past two games he has shown flashes of the player he's going to become and when he can play like that on a regular basis every team is going to have a hard time slowing him down and there will be no more talk of Roy not deserving an All-Star spot. He is more important to this team than anyone is and he deserves every penny he will get this summer. His defense has improved so much and in time he will be one of the top bigs in the league.

Banned

Yeah I don't know what Mckeyfan is expecting here, Danny is a 17th pick so in a way anything we get from him is gravy here, this is the same thing as the crazy people that are not happy with us just making the playoffs, shame on you McKeyfan for "trashing our players" shame on you!!!! and ............

Last edited by vnzla81; 03-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Right. Ok.

Duncan was a #1 overall pick. Danny was a #17.

Duncan makes $21M/year, Danny $12M.

But yeah, lets hold Granger to the same standard as Duncan. You know, the standard that all but maybe 50-60 players OF ALL TIME would fall short of.

Yes, Danny made a bad play. However, he was being aggressive and got caught up in the moment. Yeah, the Pacers should never lose a game, and Granger should never make a mistake, but that happens.

The pessimism is killing me.
    I'm not asking Danny to be 7 feet tall. I'm not asking him to have a 40 inch vertical. I'm not asking him to have an IQ of 140. I'm not asking him to do or be anything he is not capable of.

Every player has the ability and capability of playing fundamental basketball. Some do, some don't. It's a choice, not a false expectation.

Danny could be fundamentally sound, just like Duncan. He chooses not to be.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really feel like some people start threads for attention.... not DISCUSION. I mean every player can be picked apart, mistakes are made. Pick up, pack up and get ready for a new day. Don't carry negative from one day to the next. We need cameras to follow some of you around and broadcast your screw ups. Danny is no GOD he's HUMAN and will make mistakes, just like the rest of the world.

Edit: we do have a POST game thread for POST game thoughts.

We play the Bucks tonight. Phionex game is in the past, move on. Good day and God bless you all.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 03-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Questioning the basketball IQ of some of these players is pretty easy when you watch them play basketball.

For a player that is supposed to be our main cog Granger really does have some serious decision issues that are just head scratchers. Sure there's the questionable shot selection... but then there's the defensive lapses where he's lost his man for a wide open layup. Or how about when he let Miami have a wide open 3 when that was the only thing that could hurt us?

It's not any one play... It's that you can find several examples of questionable decision making... and they happen time and time again. The Pacers are not good enough to overcome these type of issues. They have to be corrected.

...And it's not only Granger but he's the hardest one to excuse for it due to his age and experience and team rank. If Granger is making boneheaded plays it's harder to fault George or even Collison.

...Although if I see Collision dribbling the ball at the top of the key and someone (usually West) come out to set a pick and then Collison not dribble close enough to rub off his man (or force the defense to switch) one more time I might throw the remote.

If the Pacers plan to win with team basketball then they need to play SMART basketball. Low basketball IQ isn't going to cut it and a team leader like Granger, and a starting PG like Collision simply must play smarter. This is not something you have to take the good with the bad. It's something that if the bad isn't corrected the player won't be on the floor as a Pacer too much longer. It's that bad.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The frustrating thing I think McKeyFan is describing is that Granger doesn't play smart basketball...or at least has poor judgment. These seem to be things that could be fixed or easy to avoid...which is why it's frustrating. The fact he didn't play defense for a couple years is worse though. At least he's putting some focus on that.

Maybe that's his issue. He lacks focus and discipline...perhaps brought on by a tad of arrogance. It's good though to be confident. Just not overconfident.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

So from this thread I learned that nobody is perfect and Danny Granger is not on par with the greatest PF ever...

Gee I'm so glad I read this, I don't know what I'm gonna do with this wealthy of knowledge!
    Last edited by TheDavisBrothers; 03-24-2012 at 04:28 PM.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post

I get the point your trying to make, but I believe the illegal screen violation you're referring to was actually Paul George. Also, the offensive foul by Hibbert was clearly a flop by Grant Hill. Just another one of the turrible calls by the officials.

I'm not asking Danny to be 7 feet tall. I'm not asking him to have a 40 inch vertical. I'm not asking him to have an IQ of 140. I'm not asking him to do or be anything he is not capable of.

Every player has the ability and capability of playing fundamental basketball. Some do, some don't. It's a choice, not a false expectation.

Danny could be fundamentally sound, just like Duncan. He chooses not to be.
    I can't figure it out. For a guy as smart as he is to have such low awareness on the court is mind boggling. If he was dumb it'd make more since, and it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

I literally feel dumber by reading this thread...so Danny isn't on par with Tim freaking duncan...I feel like some of you get your basketball iq from video games, it's not the same people sheesh...Timmy d in his prime is one of the greatest players that ever saw the floor

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I literally feel dumber by reading this thread...so Danny isn't on par with Tim freaking duncan...I feel like some of you get your basketball iq from video games, it's not the same people sheesh...Timmy d in his prime is one of the greatest players that ever saw the floor
    I'm not sure if you're missing the point that badly or if I'm missing your point.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    So from this thread I learned that nobody is perfect and Danny Granger is not on par with the greatest PF ever...

Gee I'm so glad I read this, I don't know what I'm gonna do with this wealthy on knowledge!
    You could've also learned that for an experienced player and team leader Danny Granger has more than his fair share of inexplicable plays on the basketball court that doesn't fit in with a player in his position. These plays have nothing to do with his height or not being Tim Duncan.

If he was a rookie thrust into his role then you could take the good with the bad and wait for him to mature. But at this point in his career these things just cannot be happening and they need to be fixed... now... if not yesterday.

------

-John Wooden

Perhaps all that time with Jim O'Brien really did lower Danny Granger's NBA ceiling and thwart his growth as a basketball player.

Perhaps beyond repair... It's starting to appear that way....

------

-John Wooden

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: