Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

  1. #1

    Default Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Link from Colts.com

    Avery, 5-11, 184 pounds, has seen action in 39 games (28 starts) in three NFL seasons with the St. Louis Rams (2008-09) and Tennessee Titans (2011). He was originally selected by the Rams in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. Avery has compiled 103 career receptions for 1,308 yards (12.7 avg.) and nine touchdowns and has contributed with 14 rushes for 99 yards and one touchdown.

    “Donnie is a very fast wide receiver who has had a productive past,” said Grigson. “He is an excellent fit for our offense and will help shape our receiving core moving forward.”
    So here's my analysis of the new acquisitions and their affect on the draft:

    We've picked up a C, G, and T for the offensive line. No pressing need to draft OL in the early rounds.

    We kept Wayne and brought in Avery to replace Garcon. No pressing need for a WR in the early rounds.

    We kept Mathis plus signed a DE and S as free agents.

    So I think rounds 2, 3, and 4 are now looking like NT and CB picks. Maybe a tight end.
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-24-2012 at 04:48 AM.

  2. #2
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,568

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Donnie Avery hardly eliminates a need for a WR. It's not even a given he makes it out of camp.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,397
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Yeah, I still think they take the best WR available at pick 34. Then next season they are going to take the best left tackle available with their top pick which should be pretty high. That way you give Luck a target for a decade and a guy to protect him while throwing to that target.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    With all the holes we have to fill, I can't see them signing free agents that they don't expect to contribute. Not when we only have $82 million to spend compared to other teams $120 million.

    After QB, I expect them to go defense in the draft. We have a defensive coach now and I think the defense will be a higher priority than in the past.

    And the priority for Luck this year will be to learn the offense. So they're adding affordable vets that already know what to do and they won't have to spend a lot of time teaching. Then next year we'll start adding more skill players for him to work with. By then he'll know the offense and be ready to help teach them.

    At least that's what I would do under the circumstances.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donnie Avery hardly eliminates a need for a WR. It's not even a given he makes it out of camp.
    Whenever I here Donnie Avery I think injury prone and I am not sure how fast he is still is. IN his college years he was a 4.4 guy but I vaguely remember that he had a leg injury with the Rams.

  8. #6
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I still think they take the best WR available at pick 34. Then next season they are going to take the best left tackle available with their top pick which should be pretty high. That way you give Luck a target for a decade and a guy to protect him while throwing to that target.
    We drafted a LT in this first last year.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

  9. #7
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    So Avery has ton of upside and besides the injury issue this guy is legit. I think what the Colts are doing is adding decent players at every position so they can take the best player available.

    NT is a need and I am sure we will target it sometime in the draft, but we may only need a true NT on short or goalline situations, we will probably target that later in the draft if we can not get Ta'amu in the late 2nd early 3rd, obviously by trade.

    For our 2nd round pick there should be a lot of value there for WR, DB's, Dline, and Oline.

    By the way Mohammad Sanu if that is how you spell his name ran a 4.4 at his pro day which really plays out well for him.

    Right now I think that TE is our biggest need though. Wouldn't be surprised if the Colts tried to trade up to grab Fleener.
    Why so SERIOUS

  10. #8

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Avery has ton of upside and besides the injury issue this guy is legit. I think what the Colts are doing is adding decent players at every position so they can take the best player available.

    NT is a need and I am sure we will target it sometime in the draft, but we may only need a true NT on short or goalline situations, we will probably target that later in the draft if we can not get Ta'amu in the late 2nd early 3rd, obviously by trade.

    For our 2nd round pick there should be a lot of value there for WR, DB's, Dline, and Oline.

    By the way Mohammad Sanu if that is how you spell his name ran a 4.4 at his pro day which really plays out well for him.

    Right now I think that TE is our biggest need though. Wouldn't be surprised if the Colts tried to trade up to grab Fleener.
    From the looks of it I would guess that Fleener does not match what they want to do. They are looking to pound the ball and Fleener cant really block at all (NFL Network - not me). He is great in the passing game though. Would be a terrific weapon.

  11. #9
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    How crazy would it be if Indy selected Fleener in rd 2? He was projected to go around there, and had a really good pro day. They're saying he may not make it that far down now. But man, Luck would love that! And Fleener looks like a really good TE prospect, and we just so happen to have a hole at that position now with Tamme and Clark gone.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the looks of it I would guess that Fleener does not match what they want to do. They are looking to pound the ball and Fleener cant really block at all (NFL Network - not me). He is great in the passing game though. Would be a terrific weapon.
    To me if your drafting an elite QB, and his security blanket from college is available (and in a position of need), it is a no brainier to draft him.

    Also I don't believe the whole going to be run heavy team thing... but compared to what we used to do, it may seem that way.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  14. #11
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From the looks of it I would guess that Fleener does not match what they want to do. They are looking to pound the ball and Fleener cant really block at all (NFL Network - not me). He is great in the passing game though. Would be a terrific weapon.
    True as far as the blocking he is way behind and the Colts would like to run the ball more than pass in the future but, many believe Fleener has room to add some bulk to his frame, and in time could become a good blocker. Also the Colts will still use a TE to run routes, they may use multiple TE sets at times, and with how much Luck depended on his TE in college I can not see them passing on a guy like this who has tons of upside.
    Why so SERIOUS

  15. #12

    Default

    Avery isn't anything to get excited for you guys...at best he is a slot guy on a good team...AT BEST. I have watched him since he was a rookie,
    We should have taken desean jackson...

  16. #13
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Fleener will be a first rounder, no doubt. No brainer if he somehow makes it to us.

    Count me in the "best WR available at #34" club. Reggie won't be around forever. Collie is good, but not a #1 WR and pretty injury prone. Avery is solid when healthy, but nothing to write home about.

    This is a good WR class. There's going to be too much value there to pass up. The D can be fixed over the next few years, but Luck needs to be surrounded ASAP. Great chemistry can take years to develop.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,592
    Mood

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    I was a bit worried when I saw name just from his injury past but he is a solid WR and a new perspective may recharge his career.

  19. #15
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fleener will be a first rounder, no doubt. No brainer if he somehow makes it to us.

    Count me in the "best WR available at #34" club. Reggie won't be around forever. Collie is good, but not a #1 WR and pretty injury prone. Avery is solid when healthy, but nothing to write home about.

    This is a good WR class. There's going to be too much value there to pass up. The D can be fixed over the next few years, but Luck needs to be surrounded ASAP. Great chemistry can take years to develop.
    I know Wayne will be gone pretty soon, but I am not sure there is a true #1 receiver available at 34, some are close, but all have some key weakness, all I hope is if we go that route we choose well.
    Why so SERIOUS

  20. #16
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know Wayne will be gone pretty soon, but I am not sure there is a true #1 receiver available at 34, some are close, but all have some key weakness, all I hope is if we go that route we choose well.
    True #1 WR like Calvin Johnson or Fitz, no, but a lot of #1 wideouts come out of the 2-4th rounds. Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, etc. Hakeem Nicks and Roddy White were late first. I don't see why we can't get a very good WR at #34, especially when he's going to be paired with Luck.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True #1 WR like Calvin Johnson or Fitz, no, but a lot of #1 wideouts come out of the 2-4th rounds. Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Desean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, etc. Hakeem Nicks and Roddy White were late first. I don't see why we can't get a very good WR at #34, especially when he's going to be paired with Luck.
    True, I mean a guy that is ready to step in right away and be a #1 WR, there are two of those guy coming out next year though. With these guys they happened to be lucky picks for the most part besides a few. Nicks and Roddy were known to have #1 receiver type talent, Jackson fail because of size, Bolden because of speed, etc.

    But for all those guys drafted there are a bunch that did not make it, rarely do you see receivers drafted in the top 10 not produce on a high level, besides Rodgers and Warrick.

    But yes we can find someone but it will not be a guy that we expect to be a #1 WR, but hopefully he grows into one.
    Why so SERIOUS

  23. #18
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    TROY WILLIAMSON.

    Haha, nah, you make good points. We'll see what happens. Pagano is a defense guy, so maybe he won't be able to help himself from improving our fairly terrible D.

  24. #19
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TROY WILLIAMSON.

    Haha, nah, you make good points. We'll see what happens. Pagano is a defense guy, so maybe he won't be able to help himself from improving our fairly terrible D.
    yeah for got about him, add him to the list too..
    Why so SERIOUS

  25. #20

    Default

    JJ stokes? I know it was 1995 but he Wasn't good...also Darrius heyward bey...

  26. #21

    Default

    Also mike williams,Reggie Williams and Ted Ginn Junior.

  27. #22
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,219
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also mike williams,Reggie Williams and Ted Ginn Junior.
    Stokes was not to bad, he had TO and Jerry Rice to compete against though, Ginn was never supposed to go that high, lol Reggie Williams, idk, Mike Williams wellhe had problems with taking a year off and should not have been taken that high because of that.

    But for the most part they are pretty good, lol besides those exceptions.

    Hayward Bay was another guy no one thought should go that high, and it was only due to Al Davis liking speed, no other team had him that high on their board.
    Why so SERIOUS

  28. #23

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True, I mean a guy that is ready to step in right away and be a #1 WR, there are two of those guy coming out next year though. With these guys they happened to be lucky picks for the most part besides a few. Nicks and Roddy were known to have #1 receiver type talent, Jackson fail because of size, Bolden because of speed, etc.
    Really,
    I am not sure you used the best examples there to prove your point. Nicks and Roddy took 2-3 years to develop and DeSean had the most productive first year. Marvin Harrison was no exception either.

    AJ Green was probably the best recent example but most WR take atleast 3 years to develop into a true number one.

    This draft has clear number 2 WR's in the second round which will be crtical to the Lucks development going forward. ALso alot of these WR don't need top end speed as they are big and strong enough to over power DB's for the ball. This is exactly the type of player Hakeem Nicks is but the team will need a deep post threat to stretch the field and keep the safties honest.

    OF the top 5 wide receivers all of them have ran a 4.4 in the combine or on their pro day and of those 5 two could slip to our second round pick. I hope either Randle or Hill will be there with our pick and they would be match up problem for most NFL CB's.

    If we decide to even wait till the third round we should still be able to get a good WR. Marvin Jones would be a sure third round steal in this draft so I am hoping that the FO atleast addresses the WR in the first 3 rounds.

  29. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stokes was not to bad, he had TO and Jerry Rice to compete against though, Ginn was never supposed to go that high, lol Reggie Williams, idk, Mike Williams wellhe had problems with taking a year off and should not have been taken that high because of that.

    But for the most part they are pretty good, lol besides those exceptions.

    Hayward Bay was another guy no one thought should go that high, and it was only due to Al Davis liking speed, no other team had him that high on their board.
    Looking back of course vision is 20 20 but at the time this is what was projected.

  30. #25
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Colts sign free agent WR Donnie Avery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really,
    I am not sure you used the best examples there to prove your point. Nicks and Roddy took 2-3 years to develop and DeSean had the most productive first year. Marvin Harrison was no exception either.

    AJ Green was probably the best recent example but most WR take atleast 3 years to develop into a true number one.

    This draft has clear number 2 WR's in the second round which will be crtical to the Lucks development going forward. ALso alot of these WR don't need top end speed as they are big and strong enough to over power DB's for the ball. This is exactly the type of player Hakeem Nicks is but the team will need a deep post threat to stretch the field and keep the safties honest.

    OF the top 5 wide receivers all of them have ran a 4.4 in the combine or on their pro day and of those 5 two could slip to our second round pick. I hope either Randle or Hill will be there with our pick and they would be match up problem for most NFL CB's.

    If we decide to even wait till the third round we should still be able to get a good WR. Marvin Jones would be a sure third round steal in this draft so I am hoping that the FO atleast addresses the WR in the first 3 rounds.
    Yeah, I'm liking Randle or Sanu.

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Mavericks sign free agent Kelenna Azubuike (Yahoo! Sports) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  3. Colts signed a free agent!
    By pizza guy in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
  4. Raptors sign free agent Sampson to aid frontcourt [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
  5. Phoenix & the Expansion Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •