Thread: New Backup QB

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New Backup QB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New Backup QB

nice to see the NEW front office take the proper steps that should have been done years ago.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aero For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    nice to see the NEW front office take the proper steps that should have been done years ago.
    proper steps?? Stanton was a backup on the worst football team in NFL history he isn't a solution to anything he is really bad. Proper steps is what my Bears and Cowboys did in getting Jason Campbell and getting Kyle Orton.

also he demanded a trade LOL I didnt know 4th string QBs were allowed to demand trades guess I was wrong

smart move by the Jets I though they wouldn't end up being able to trade him.

I'd just keep DanO. He was a fine backup QB for a team that doesn't expect the b/u to push the starter and where a QB controversy is not allowed.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So...

We release Peyton.
    Peyton signs with Denver.
    Denver trades Tebow to NY.
    NY trades Stanton to us.

It all came full circle.

I don't understand why the Jets want Tebow? To bury him on the bench and hope he never plays?

Drew Stanton. Is this the guy that took a long time deciding he wasn't a baseball player? Meh.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    proper steps?? Stanton was a backup on the worst football team in NFL history he isn't a solution to anything he is really bad. Proper steps is what my Bears and Cowboys did in getting Jason Campbell and getting Kyle Orton.

also he demanded a trade LOL I didnt know 4th string QBs were allowed to demand trades guess I was wrong

smart move by the Jets I though they wouldn't end up being able to trade him.
    Stanton is probably better than Painter.....oh wait, sorry.

Colts are the worst team ever, bring back Caldwell....... OlLord Helmet
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd just keep DanO.
    Orlovsky signed with Tampa Bay the day free agency opened.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I don't understand giving up a pick for him. He's not any good, sign some guy off the couch and it's the same thing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I should've said I would've kept DanO. ....of course hard telling if he would've wanted to come back under any circumstances now.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think that trading for Stanton was a dumb move. From what I have seen and know of him he is not good even for a backup. Certainly not worth giving up a pick for.

Take a look at the free agents QB this off season. A lot of them have signed but the Colts would have been signing one of them or making a run at one of the ones still available. I don't think it would have been a downgrade from Stanton.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Actually, some Broncos fans are pissed that they couldn't get Stanton, and will have to settle for Caleb Hanie--so it could be worse.

(edit: believe Colts got a 7th also, so did not give up a pick--just moved down, basically)

^^ Also, what is up with the crying horse?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yes. Why we didn't retain him is inexplicable.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Stanton is Painter 2.0?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

It may have not been a popular thing to let DanO walk, but who says he wasn't offered something from the Colts and he said no thanks. I think he is a clearly better back-up than Painter. It could always be worse. The guy is motivated and ready to get to work. I wish all of our players were like that.

If Stanton takes any meaningful snaps this coming season we have WAY bigger problems than him being Drew Stanton.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JBones19 For This Useful Post:

The cryin' horse was for the day Manning and the Colts parted ways. He's still there because I'm too unmotivated (aka lazy) too change it...

------

-John Wooden

^ thought there might have been some horse-related tragedy I was unaware of...although I heard about all of those horses getting whacked on that HBO show

Well, I guess I'm the one person happy with this. There's a reason he was picked in the 2nd round, he just had horrible luck with injuries in Detroit and by the time he got healthy they had landed Stafford. When Stafford was hurt Drew played pretty well and got them some wins.

And no Sparhawk, Drew Henson was the baseball guy.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Part of what I like about this is that the Jets already paid his half million $ signing bonus last week. So he's only costing us $750k. That's huge considering our budget constraints this year.

You used to always hear that Manning took all the snaps in practice. So was it really a surprise when the backups got in the games and weren't able to play? That can't be the case anymore. Everyone needs to practice and prepare to play. Hopefully Luck won't be like Manning in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Well, I guess I'm the one person happy with this. There's a reason he was picked in the 2nd round, he just had horrible luck with injuries in Detroit and by the time he got healthy they had landed Stafford. When Stafford was hurt Drew played pretty well and got them some wins.

And no Sparhawk, Drew Henson was the baseball guy.
    I am happy with the pick up.. Stanton isn't something to write home about but he was good at Michigan State and he will be a solid backup QB.

I find it funny that people would have liked to have kept Dan Orlovsky but what did he do at Detriot? I guess some people have short term memories and the moaning over the backup QB is sort of silly IMO especially since there is no Manning with 4 neck surgieries to worry about this off season.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't understand giving up a pick for him. He's not any good, sign some guy off the couch and it's the same thing.
    IF you want to make the argument that we could have sign some one cheaper and willing to come here I simply don't know if we could have.

IF you want to say that we should have used the pick on a backup Qb I would have to say that 95% of QB's selected in the 6th round don't make it in the league.

I think this move was about a cheap option not the best option.

Technically, if there ever was a year to have a backup QB that wasn't prepared or capable of winning in the NFL this would be it.

Our odds of making the playoffs are fairly dim if existent at all. Our #1 pick QB (assuming Luck) is the QB who will get every chance to be the longterm starter no matter how game action goes. And if he is injured, do we really want to win any games with him out? With the starter out we might as well pad our losses for draft position since we're in rebuilding mode anyway. And do we want the backup coming in and looking better than our golden boy franchise QB and possibly creating the groundwork for a QB controversy?

IOW... this next season is when a Painter type would've been a fine backup QB for the team. A season when wins aren't important and you don't want the backup showing up the starter. Of course, down the road in a year or two you need a QB that can hold down the fort if the starter (Luck or RG3) goes down for a stretch of games so that the season doesn't go into the tank.

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I don't understand why the Jets want Tebow? To bury him on the bench and hope he never plays?

Drew Stanton. Is this the guy that took a long time deciding he wasn't a baseball player? Meh.
    I think they are hoping for either 2 outcomes, to light a torch under Sanchez's....

Or that Tebow really grows and becomes the QB that can take them to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Really it didn't matter too much it was like the Eagles 6th for the jets 7th or something like that at that point in the draft players are so similar, sure it would be better but it is an extremely small price, the same quality of players will be UDFA's. He is a cheap back up, and we are on a budget, we do not have to worry about any of the bonus money paid to this guy either, and he only has a 1 yr contract and will be off the books next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    IF you want to make the argument that we could have sign some one cheaper and willing to come here I simply don't know if we could have.

IF you want to say that we should have used the pick on a backup Qb I would have to say that 95% of QB's selected in the 6th round don't make it in the league.

I think this move was about a cheap option not the best option.
    I think we could have signed a guy in the 6th that could have stuck around but I think they wanted more of a veteran than a rookie, I would say the Colts would grab another QB as a undrafted free agent and still might, but they did sign another QB in free agency anyways... some guy with a last name starting with a V...
    Why so SERIOUS