Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

Does anyone know of any websites where they show replays of this year's races? I work 60 hours a week and am a part time graduate student so I haven't had the time to watch any of them in full this year.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks like 34 cars for Indy assuming Lotus comes thru with their expected allotment...

So, unless Lotus gets more boost for Indy, bump day will be to see which Lotus car doesn't make the field.

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/...ed-in-Indy-500
    True that. They're supposed to be 6-7 MPH down on the straights. Honda's probably getting their new turbo housing so they should be right up there as well.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Does anyone know of any websites where they show replays of this year's races? I work 60 hours a week and am a part time graduate student so I haven't had the time to watch any of them in full this year.
    The Indycar channel on Youtube has a pretty comprehensive highlight package for each race and many features. Pretty good stuff.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Lotus to stop supplying engines to Dreyer & Reinbold Racing and Bryan Herta Autosport

Lotus is about to become a much smaller outfit in the Izod IndyCar Series.

The engine manufacturer that got a late start to the new equipment package this season is nearing releases with two teams, a senior IndyCar official said today.

Those two teams are Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (driver Oriol Servia) and Bryan Herta Autosport (Alex Tagliani). BHA is skipping this weekend’s IndyCar race in Sao Paulo, Brazil, in part because of Lotus’ struggle to provide engines.

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said a resolution to the issue should be coming “in a day or two.”

Team officials could not be reached for comment, but it’s expected they will sign deals with Chevrolet and Honda in preparation for next month’s Indianapolis 500.

Lotus will be left with HVM Racing and Dragon Racing as full-time teams plus Newman Haas Racing for the 500.

IndyCar will allow Lotus to focus on its smaller lineup this year before requiring growth for 2013.

The top-finishing Lotus in the season’s first three races was Sebastien Bourdais’ Dragon Racing car, a ninth April 1 at Barber Motorsports Park.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...-IndyCar-teams
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I wonder what that means for the Jean Alesi ride... which was probably questionable to begin with?

And who decided who had to get stuck with... errr I mean who would stick with Lotus?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

------

-John Wooden

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-needs-engine/

Michael Shank Racing enters car for 500... but has no engine.

On one hand, there's probably a Lotus engine for him now... OTOH... probably no chance of a Honda or Chevy which maybe he could've gotten as the only engineless car/driver/team on the entry list.

If Honda and Chevy could come up with 33 engines between them.. ...Would they? Would they want to leave Lotus on the sidelines entirely for the 500? Could Lotus survive missing the 500 and would Honda and Chevy prefer them gone or do they like Lotus bringing up the rear just so one of them doesn't have to be last?

------

-John Wooden

It is looking likely that Honda and Chevy will pick up the slack and supply not only MSR, but the two former Lotus teams. Originally, it was to be that they (BHR and D&R) would skip Brasil and run the Speedway. That has obviously gone to hell in a handbasket. Come one Ford!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wonder what that means for the Jean Alesi ride... which was probably questionable to begin with?

And who decided who had to get stuck with... errr I mean who would stick with Lotus?
    Alesi didn't have much funding. NH will be withdrawing soon. Lotus situation didn't help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrpeters For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    It is looking likely that Honda and Chevy will pick up the slack and supply not only MSR, but the two former Lotus teams. Originally, it was to be that they (BHR and D&R) would skip Brasil and run the Speedway. That has obviously gone to hell in a handbasket. Come one Ford!
    Not entirely accurate. Herta is trying to survive 2012, that's why they were skipping. DRR will still have Lotus power through Sao Paulo.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...betting-on-us/

"Herta reiterated that the choice to leave Lotus had been in the works for some time, and the final call to end their involvement came via a mutual decision. This isn’t my money I’m working with,” he continued. “We have an obligation to our sponsors, to our employees and to our driver to put our best foot forward. We just weren’t feeling like we were in a position to do that. It wasn’t’ an easy decision—it wasn’t one we just arrived at while we were at Long Beach. It’s been going on a lot longer than that. I really want to thank and give credit to Lotus because if they wanted to, they could have blocked us and prevented us from doing it. But in the end, they looked at the situation, and we felt it could be a positive for both sides."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...s-mailbag-425/

http://www.popoffvalve.com/2012/4/25...esperate-teams
    Last edited by DaveP63; 04-26-2012 at 04:14 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeters View Post
    Alesi didn't have much funding. NH will be withdrawing soon. Lotus situation didn't help.
    Newman/Haas out of Indy 500
    Updated: April 27, 2012, 9:00 PM ET
    Associated Press

Newman/Haas Racing has withdrawn its entry for the Indianapolis 500, and the pullout puts the race in danger of not having a full 33-car field.

General manager Brian Lisles told The Associated Press on Friday night the team ran out of time to put together a proper program for the May 27 race.

"We had every intention of being in the race, but simply ran out of time," Lisles said. "We withdrew when it became apparent we could not do it properly."

Lisles said there was no one issue holding up the deal.

"It was everything," he said when asked if the problem was with the driver, sponsor or engine.

Newman/Haas was on the official entry list released last week, but the team did not list a driver. The official entry had Newman/Haas paired with engine manufacturer Lotus, which has struggled mightily this season and earlier this week released two of its teams from its contracts.

Lotus now has just three official cars, compared to 11 for Chevrolet and 10 for Honda.

The withdrawal of Newman/Haas puts the Indy 500 in danger of not having a full 33-car field. The race has had a full field every year since 1947, when it had 30 cars. In 1979 and 1997, the field was expanded to 35 cars for "extenuating circumstances."

Although there were 34 official entrants on the initial list, there were only 30 announced driver-team combinations. Rahal Letterman Lanigan has since announced Michel Jourdain Jr. for its entry.

Michael Shank Racing announced earlier this week it would field a car for Jay Howard, but does not have an engine deal yet. The team has a deadline next week with a sponsor to put together a final package.

Shank would now be the 33rd entry.

Ed Carpenter Racing and Sam Schmidt Motorsports are also on the official entry list, and neither has yet to announce its drivers.

The Indy 500 has been in jeopardy of not having a full field before, but because teams can enter cars all the way through qualifying, the maximum 33 has always been met.
    http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/st...dianapolis-500

------

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Will Power with the pole and the win...
    Did the turbo change make any difference for Honda?

------

-John Wooden

Three Honda's in the top ten. Francrybaby qualified well, so it didn't seem to hurt.

But did that 'equalizing' on the street course equal an advantage for Indy?

------

-John Wooden

The stopwatch will tell, but I'd guess yes. Probably a slight one.

Snooping around at the Star and I see Cavin is saying Chevy or Honda won't supply Shank with an engine and he's not interested in Lotus so he's preparing to announce his team will not field a car at Indy. I'm pretty sure that puts the car count at 32.

When we all saw this situation developing I was thinking they surely have some kind of fallback plan... just in case... that they can go to. Apparently, I was wrong.

So now I'm back to what I was thinking all along... although it's sadly too late for this year. Allow flexibility in the Indy 500 rules to allow cars that otherwise wouldn't be legal for the series to run the 500. Don't pay IRL points. It's not like these one off operations care about IRL/Indycar championship points anyway. Grandfather the old chassis with chassis updates as necessary. Let individuals build an Indy only engine... Even allow one off chassis for the 500. The lack of championship points could be the hammer to keep Indycar teams from taking a swing with some new inhouse technology. And if they do decide they'd rather sacrifice Indycar points in order to win a 500. So be it. Maybe if they open the rules a little they'll find that some of the money they think is just not there, suddenly might be there. And if someone gets a little too smart or too good and hits on something, then incorporate it into next year's Indycar rules or rein it in with tighter Indy 500 rules.

------

-John Wooden

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I like it, but it will never fly these days. I'd hate to think there will only be 32 (or less if there's a lot of wrecking ) at Indy, but we'll see what happens. Could be a power play by MSR to try to shake something else out of the woodwork. Stay tuned.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Interesting... MSR's driver (Jay Howard) is fine with a Lotus. Says he just wants to race and can manage expectations with the Lotus. And I'm sure he wants his sponsor in the Indy 500... even if their name is on a last row car.

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

So Shank has now released Jay Howard from his contract but Shank hasn't officially withdrawn his entry yet... unless the news is just slow to update. So Howard might have a chance to take his sponsor to a Lotus team. ...Sounds like Shank's position has went from bad to worse. He had everything but an engine. Is Howard's sponsor the main sponsor Shank was counting on? He could be down to just a chassis possibly.

Was that Shank I heard singing a Beatles tune earlier before releasing Howard?

"I got no engine and it's breaking my heart...
    But I got a driver and that's a start...
    Baby you can drive my car..."

I'm making light of it but it truly is a messed up situation.

------

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I call shenanigans. Something funky is going on here. You don't release your driver, who would do Indy in a pedal car, and then not withdraw the car unless it's a sponsorship "issue" (i.e. Howard's money hasn't come through, MSR's primary doesn't like Howard) or something like that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Should have more by this afternoon.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...500-deal-done/

Seriously.... The Jean-Alesi deal isn't actually dead just the Newman Haas portion of it? Alesi and Lotus still want him in a car in the race?

Can that possibly be right, or does Lotus just want some positive press that makes it seem SOMEBODY wants their engines in a car?
    Last edited by Bball; 05-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

That probably has a lot to do with it, yes. Still haven't heard back from Iowa, yet. I had somebody that was going to ask Wade's "people" what was really going on.

------

-John Wooden

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: