Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

I haven't seen it mentioned but the Foyt team got a penalty for the fuel cell. Apparently it held too much fuel.

Also, Dixon now incurs the penalty for too many engine changes in a season (I think Simona might also). You only get 5 engine changes in a season and Dixon has now surpassed that. I know that's a 10 spot penalty itself. Not sure if that means he gets a 10 spot penalty each race from here on out or not.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes on the 10 for each race, as I understand the rule. Fuel cells are funny things. If he's not going 10 laps farther than anyone else on a tank full, then what's the point? So he obviously wasn't out to cheat.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...retzky-resigns

IndyCar Chief Operating Officer Marc Koretzky resigns
    9:34 PM, Jul. 12, 2012 |

Written by
    Curt Cavin

In a development that caught IndyCar by surprise Thursday, new chief operating officer Marc Koretzky resigned, effectively immediately.

The news came from an IndyCar release, and no reason was given for the sudden departure. Staff members were not briefed on the matter, and no one is lined up to take his duties.

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard could not be reached for comment.

Koretzky joined IndyCar in May 2011 as director of business development and led management of commercial activities and non-racing events around last year’s season-ending race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

In December, Koretzky was promoted to COO, essentially replacing Terry Angstadt, overseeing the day-to-day organizational operations of IndyCar as well was communicating with the company’s operating and commercial units. The duties left by Koretzky will be split among current IndyCar staff members in the interim, the sanctioning body’s release said.

Koretzky came to IndyCar after three years as the director of strategic development at the 360 Sports Academy and 360 Football Academy, both based in Atlanta.

This is the latest incident in what has been a rocky season for IndyCar. In May, Bernard tweeted that a team owner was trying to get him fired. The organization then canceled a scheduled race in China, leaving it short of the 16 races it’s contracted to have with sponsors. There have also been questions about Izod’s future as the circuit’s title sponsor and a technical staff that failed to notice an illegal part on Justin Wilson’s winning car at Texas in June.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Maybe falling on his sword?
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe falling on his sword?
    Not really sure on this one....

Although I think Bernard's insistence on the Vegas race last year, and the challenge for someone outside of Indycar to take on Indycar's best (which thankfully didn't materialize as advertised), all the while with drivers and teams having misgivings about Vegas itself and this weird promotion.... which ultimately saw Dan Wheldon's death and the race stopped... Have changed RB's footing considerably.

He lost some respect that day, and he lost some benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure he's really going to be able to plug the leaks and regain a solid foothold in the Indycar hierarchy as opposed to several small losses of traction all adding up until something snowballs.

Whether this is connected to that fissure or not I don't know....

------

-John Wooden

RHR on pole for Canada Indycar racing round 2

------

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

10 place grid penalty for an engine change. There's getting to be so many engine changes that it's starting to be a joke. If everybody would change an engine, then the entire grid would stand!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Yeah. I knew that when I posted his results. That was not really a well thought out rule at all. Especially in the 1st year of a new engine package with such tight parameters around it. It's confusing for anyone other than hardcore fans. It cannot sit well with sponsors. And honestly, I doubt they necessarily understand it either all thru their respective companies.

I heard the TV crew talking about Dixon's penalty for too many engine changes in a season. The way I heard them say it, it's just 1- 10 grid spot penalty. That seems odd in a way because that would mean it's basically the same as any unapproved engine change. The only difference being, he could have an 'approved' engine change (blow an engine in a race forcing a change for example) at some point but then would still have to serve the 10 grid spot penalty. So apparently, too many engine changes isn't too drastic of a penalty.

But here the league is trying to build fans, you have a popular American driver leading the championship, he's on a real nice run (the type of run that gets media notice), and then here comes this weird penalty to confuse new fans. Plus, I wonder how many think he lost his pole position because he must've cheated... hence the penalty?

This rule seems so counterproductive, or at least the penalty is, that I wonder if they should've just bit the bullet and dumped it early on even though some had already been hurt by it? ...leaving it not fair to them to suffer a penalty other would later not suffer.

Oh well... Hindsight is 20-20... I just hope they are smart enough to do something about this and reconstruct the penalty to something more fair for fans, sponsors, drivers, and team.

------

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

HCN FTW! Sato actually managed to finish a race and not smash into someone!

Looks like Lotus is officially gone after this season. All that remains is finishing the calendar this year and negotiating the early exit from their contract.

------

-John Wooden

Agreed. To no one's surprise. Look for Ford to step into the void via Cosworth.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

There will be resistance to installing "stock car lights", but it will open up other opportunities for grand am, etc.

Looks like Graham is ready to abandon the Chipster's junior team...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...class-for-2013

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

FYI, official as of 10 this AM:

Chase Austin to drive in the 2013 INDY 500 for AJ Foyt! He will be only the 3rd African-American driver to compete if he qualifies!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Good job Dixie! A lot more passing than I would have anticipated, though I can't help but think some rain might have made it more interesting.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Jay Penske.... tsk tsk tsk....

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Still an undercurrent of a coup de tat to remove Bernhard:
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rotten-apples/

------

-John Wooden

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

These stupid *******s amaze me. They have done nothing but **** up the series to the point they've damn near killed it and now the morons want to stage a coup??? They have learned nothing.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Good read by someone from the other side of the pond

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com...r-impressions/

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

How hard is it to not know you have a serious bump in the track (before you put cars on the track).... particularly when it's due to RR tracks?

I'm not a fan of Mickey Mouse chicanes on straightaways. And that thing looks fairly narrow too. So it's already going to look goofy to any casual race fan. Especially anyone who believes "you race from the wall to the grass". In this case there's all this potential racing surface between the walls and then there's this 'target' chicane to hit. And 'hit' looks to be an appropriate word here.

I have some fears that it's going to make a farce out of tomorrow's race. Not that being sent flying from the original problem wasn't going to be a problem either. BUT how hard would it have been to have seen this problem coming and addressed it properly sometime over the past few weeks? This series has a tremendous ability to shoot itself in the foot thru short sightedness.

The tire wall idea might help if they implement it.... Remove some of that 'open' pavement so viewers don't see it... and slow the drivers trying to take the wide and fast entrance into the chicane (which leads to a bouncing right on into the opposite wall).

------

-John Wooden

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Have to agree, that's not a very good solution. Plus you can see the tracks about to bounce out of the grooves when they hit them. The ALMS race has been a demo derby thus far.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think RHR is going to win the whole shebang.

Also, if I'm Michael Andretti, I'm trying to promote every race I can, now that my drivers are 2 for 2 at the race I'm promoting.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

The good: RHR drove a great race. I never did figure out the reason behind the early pitstop that also had Jan confused. I'm guessing that was just in his normal window so they took it. But whatever, RHR got to the front by being aggressive.

The bad: Looked to me like Baltimore was not nearly the crowd and buzz it was last year.

The ugly: Briscoe's restart.... I agree with race control. That one is on Briscoe. If there is an argument to be made maybe it's that RHR was late pulling up beside him and/or the starter should've allowed them to be side by side longer allowing for better alignment before dropping the green. But that would be on the starter, not RHR. I heard Power's comments about it and just as I was about to lose a little respect for him he added "He (RHR) was going for the championship... I would've done the same thing". OK... that's honesty.... He stood up for his team and then ultimately didn't really take anything away from RHR either. Nicely played!

Now for everything going good for RHR, his teammates had the opposite. Hinch seems to me to have slipped a little and Marco needs a vacation or a change of scenery.

------

-John Wooden

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The bad: Looked to me like Baltimore was not nearly the crowd and buzz it was last year.
    I'll chalk that one up to weather. Hinch has just had ludicrious bad luck since Detroit, and I don't think Marco recovered from his showing at Indy, where there were several times during the month of May that he looked to be one of the cars to beat.

But sorry Ryan and Capn, that restart was PERFECTLY timed and perfectly clean. Thats the kind of thing that is going to leave Briscoe on the outside looking in at Penske this offseason.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: