Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...khart-or-bust/

I hadn't heard Laguna Seca mentioned until now. I doubt Miller just pulled that outta his hat.

I wonder if having just 15 races is even an option... and I wonder how much IZOD was banking on a China race as part of the 16 in the first place?

BTW... I still say to a bulldozer and jackhammer to that Mickey Mouse infield road course at IMS so it's never a temptation ever to use for Indycars... or anything else for that matter.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I hadn't heard Laguna Seca mentioned until now. I doubt Miller just pulled that outta his hat.

I wonder if having just 15 races is even an option... and I wonder how much IZOD was banking on a China race as part of the 16 in the first place?

BTW... I still say to take a bulldozer and jackhammer to that Mickey Mouse infield road course at IMS so it's never a temptation ever to use for Indycars... or anything else for that matter.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-20-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another Michael article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1yLizJHo4

It also briefly touches on the rumors of him being involved in trying to get RB fired, where he basically points out the same reasons that I pointed out why he wouldn't be involved.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

BTW... I still say to take a bulldozer and jackhammer to that Mickey Mouse infield road course at IMS so it's never a temptation ever to use for Indycars... or anything else for that matter.
    I think the 16 is part of the contract between Izod and Indycar. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't ever bank on anything over in Asia. Outside of Japan, has any of it every come off? I'm looking at you too, Korea...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

NBC Sports Network's June 23 broadcast of the IZOD IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights events at Iowa Speedway will include more than six hours of coverage.

Coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. (ET) with the latest episode of the all-access series "INDYCAR 36." The episode features Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing driver Charlie Kimball, who earlier this week received a Jefferson Award for community service.

The NBC Sports Network original series is produced by IMS Productions and gives viewers a behind-the-scenes look into the life of an IZOD IndyCar Series driver in the middle of the race season. The cameras will follow a driver for 36 hours during a race weekend.

Following "INDYCAR 36," the network will televise the three heat races that a day earlier determined the starting lineup for the Iowa Corn Indy 250, followed by live flag-to-flag coverage of the IZOD IndyCar Series race at 9 p.m. (ET).

Coverage of the Firestone Indy Lights Sukup 100 will immediately follow the Iowa Corn Indy 250.

TSN2 also has coverage of the Iowa Corn Indy 250 at 9 p.m. (ET). The race also can be heard on XM94/Sirius 212 and IMS Radio Network affiliates. In Iowa, they are KXNO-AM 1460, KFJB-AM 1230 and KXIA-FM 101.1.

------

-John Wooden

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Great idea on the "36" series. If you really want to see how much work goes into it, follow the lead mechanic or crew chief around for 36 hours...LOL
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Gah, rain again!

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

And Dario blows his engine.... BEFORE THE GREEN FLAG DROPS!

Best. Race. EVER.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Wah, wah, wah, wahhhhhhhh.

2 in a row for RHR!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

OK Bob...maybe you should stick to micromanaging the Colts.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I can see some validity to Bob's comments, but considering he doesn't seem to actually follow racing's nuts and bolts much at all then I will chalk it up to 'even a blind nut finds a squirrel sometimes!'

------

-John Wooden

Busy week and I missed this. Just watched the DVR of the race this afternoon. I noticed the early pace car pull off and figured it was a decision because of the size of the oval and pit entrance... or something. I had no idea the drivers were crying...

I HATE the old IRL restarts with the leader being in charge of the field and the pace car bailing on the start of last caution lap.

Just require the cars to pack up and maintain pace car speed until the green flag waves. No acceleration zone needed... Green for the leader is green for the field. To me, that's how it should be. No driver complaining allowed.

The apology to Dixon confuses me because it looks to me like he was the reason for the wave off at Milwaukee. Instead of saying they were looking at the wrong replay, why not just say they got it right because he blatantly jumped the start and caused the yellow to remain out and so was penalized for it?

But I digress....

IndyCar: Drivers want oval restart zone moved back to Turn 4

IndyCar drivers have asked race director Beaux Barfield to stop restarting oval-track races on the front straightaway even though it has been exciting this season.

Barfield said Thursday he is considering a change, perhaps in time for Saturday night's Iowa Corn Indy 250 at Iowa Speedway.

In previous years, the restart zone was in the middle of the fourth corner. The issue came up as a result of Scott Dixon being wrongly penalized for passing on an aborted restart in last weekend's race at the Milwaukee Mile.

Safety is part of what is driving the request to change; the other is fairness. Drivers in the front row are disadvantaged as trailing competitors lag back to get a jump on them.

Because those in arrears are up to speed quicker than the front row, cars are often three- and four-wide heading to Turn 1. Remarkably, in some cases, there hasn't been a restart accident in any of the three oval races this season.

"Everybody back to 20th can just floor it and fan out," Ryan Briscoe said of what happens. "In the past when we had to accelerate in the middle of the corner, everyone had to tiptoe through the corner because you were still turning, so it wouldn't fan out like that.

"Now, everyone's on the straightaway and everyone just gasses it. It's a mess."

Tony Kanaan agreed.

"My opinion, the earlier (you restart), the better it's going to be for everybody," he said. "Right now, the people that get penalized (are the ones) in first and second place because you can time them."

Kanaan said that's how he made that incredible jump from fifth to first on a restart in last month's Indianapolis 500.

"What I did at Indy, it wasn't a violation (because) I just knew where they're going to accelerate," he said. "If I'm three rows behind, I can accelerate before them.

"I'm not passing anybody (too early); I'm still behind the car (in front of me)."

Barfield said he is open to change because the leaders don't have the momentum to defend what they have earned. He also said it would be easier to officiate.

Briscoe said it's a matter of time before there's a large accident.

"I was going down the straight on the last restart (at Milwaukee), and I watched Dixon going down by the pit wall," he said. "Honestly, I was just waiting for a car to go airborne and crash. I'm surprised it didn't happen."

Barfield doesn't think the current restart zone is unsafe given that the field has been "consistently clean" in Turn 1, but it's something to take into account, he said.
    Engine switching

Think an engine doesn't make a difference in IndyCar? Ask two veteran drivers.

Since switching from Lotus to Chevrolet and Honda, respectively, Oriol Servia (Panther DRR) and Alex Tagliani (Bryan Herta Autosport) are IndyCar's drivers best on the move.

Servia was 17th in the series points standings when his team made the engine switch entering the 500. He didn't qualify well due to a crash in practice, but finished fourth in the race, one of his three top-five finishes in the four races working with Chevrolet.

With a Lotus, Servia had an average finish of 14.0. With Chevrolet, it's 8.25. That improvement jumped him to 10th in the standings by the season's midpoint.

Tagliani's story is similar. He was 24th in points after the fourth race, in part because his team decided to skip the Brazil race as it dumped Lotus. In four races with Honda, Tagliani has a pole (at Texas) and top-10 finishes in the past three races.

Tagliani has moved up to 19th in the standings, which under current rules would have been worth $1.1 million from the Leaders Circle program. The top 20 are eligible for Leaders Circle payouts, which are based on the previous year's finish. Qualifications for the 2013 program have not been announced.

Tagliani has lowered his average starting position from 16.6 to 7.0 and his average finishing position from 20.6 to 9.5. That's progress.
    Iowa schedule

Practice at Iowa begins at 11 a.m. today, but the 3:30 p.m. session is the one to watch. That will set the lineup for tonight's three heat races.

The top eight will be in the third heat for the top eight starting positions in Saturday's main event.

The heat races, which begin at 7:15 p.m., will not be televised live. Instead, they will be part of the NBC Sports' Saturday broadcast that begins at 8 p.m.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ed-back-Turn-4

------

-John Wooden

I don't think I really heard an explanation for the start at Iowa. Considering the speed of the cars and the shortness of the track I'm not sure why they started counting laps before the green flag waved... I know Tags had an issue and Franchitti blew an engine... but that was all during the pace laps and before the flag.

What was it, something like 18 laps of yellow before the cars even took the green? So was it the right call to start counting those laps?

I think if I was a paying customer I'd feel cheated out of 18 laps of racing.

It seems to me, no matter what happens, until the green flag is waved there should be no laps counted because the race hasn't started. I don't consider the race started at "Drivers start your engines!"... I consider it started when the starter waves the green flag.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-25-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

------

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/06-...chedule-update

Well, no 16th race this year, but I can live with a "California 500" of sorts....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

It is SOP for most short track races to restart in 4, however, most restarts are single file. And no passing before the cone...LOL. Maybe they're afraid that somebody will screw up and light the turbo up and loose it, wiping out half the field.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Push to Pass is back:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|s

I blame Belle Isle.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I don't have that much issue with PTP. It's a gimmick, but a good one.

Either Cavin or Miller... I think... was just saying they didn't expect to see PTP because there's not a need for it. Looks like one of them missed that one!

------

-John Wooden

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...nue-to-evolve/

What about giving them a wind tunnel number they have to meet and not exceed? Best of both worlds. Never happen, though.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

RHR with the hat trick!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quite the trick! What a podium! The standings have taken quite the turn as well. Not a bad show either. No repeat champion this year, I'd bet.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Thank god. Too bad Newgarden got screwed by Pagenaud with the block.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Pagenaud had no business blocking in his situation (needing to pit). But worse, Newgarden had no business passing him. IF Newgarden and SFHR were regulars in the top 5 I might feel differently, but they'd reached the point in the race where there was a bigger picture to consider IMHO. They really needed that solid finish. Just riding around in 4th was likely going to get him a podium when Pagenaud pitted... or ran out of gas. I hate telling a racer not to race, but in this case I think that would've been the prudent thing to do in those closing laps. Make sure he was aware that Kimball was out of reach and Pagenaud couldn't make it on fuel.... and suggest he not do anything aggressive for position.

Just my opinion... I could be wrong...

Great win for RHR and Andretti. Great finish for Kimball and Conway (and Foyt racing) too.

Hinchcliffe gives the team another real driver to bounce info off of. Something they lacked in at least one seat (Yes, that is a Danica slam).

------

-John Wooden

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

No, you are correct. Joseph should have used his head a little more or whomever is in charge on top of the war wagon should have told him to cool it.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post: