Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ngs-carpenter/

So much for my idea of Indycar doing a prerace inspection for anything obvious so as not to allow a tainted result (or the appearance of a tainted result)... Apparently, Wilson's car went thru 3 inspections leading up to the race and never was dinged for this, or had them questioned, even though the panels were in place....

It's also possible a bit of communication between the team and the series led to their use in the 228-lap race.

This writer captured the photo above of the in-fills on Wilson's car before the first practice session at Texas on Friday, and it's believed the car went through technical inspection three times before the race with the units installed.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

China canceled to the surprise of... well not many:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/06-...hina-cancelled
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now the scramble begins. I vote for KY Speedway.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I vote for KY Speedway... on a date I can attend!

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I vote for KY Speedway... on a date I can attend!
    Yep!!!
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Franchitti on pole at Milwaukee. One of my favorite races, so I hope this year goes well!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Except for the polesitter.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Interesting spread across the field. I can't wait!

Curt Cavin ‏@curtcavin

Best part of the rain that's about to hit Milwaukee #indyfest is the fact we're still 50 minutes from green flag. #indycar

Crap.

Curt Cavin ‏@curtcavin

.@michaelandretti said @MKE_IndyFest contract allows #indycar to negotiate with Road America "within a window." I'd say window set to open.

Hmm....

RA is a GREAT venue. Well worth the trip. August 16-18 is the ALMS date if they want a double header like the used to do with Champcar.

This series is snakebit... Rain...
    And since the race is on ABC it's not going to surprise me to see the race finish (once it finally starts) on ESPN... or ESPN 2... or ESPN news... or ESPN Online.... orrrrr.....

So this all kills ratings... The weather kills walkups...

Absolutely snakebit. Hopefully advance ticket sales were really good.

------

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Cavin says probably ESPNNews. Of course, its not like its a big Sprint Cup race following it....

Oh wait, I forgot, this is ABC/ESPN. Maybe we'll get lucky and see them get a downpour!

Everytime I hear TV commentators mention the 10 grid penalty that several cars have received I think what a confusing, buzzkill that has to be for casual fans they are trying to draw into the sport.

From the outside looking in you'd think a 10 grid spot penalty would be due to something you had some control over and you'd especially think it was cheating. ...not blowing up an engine in practice at an entirely different track.

If it was a rarity it might not rate a shrug on some potential new fan's radar... because they wouldn't necessarily understand. But it's several cars front and center every race. I think the explanation of grid penalties we keep hearing about need to include a line about next season they will handle this situation differently because it's not worked out in a way that is fair to fans, sponsors, drivers, and teams. Indycar needs to change this rule for next season IMO.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.

------

-John Wooden

Good day for me, BAD day for Ganassi!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Some random thoughts.

-Snakebit. Yes.
    -They kicked *** getting the track dried out and race ready.
    -They crowd looked decent. Certainly better than the last couple of years. Hard to say if it's enough.
    -Lots of actual RACING!
    -The more they interviewed the Chipster, the shittier he got. The shittier he got, the better I liked it. He got what he deserved in the end. LOL
    -Great race by RHR an American driver wins!
    -Good runs by TK and Hinch
    -Lots of good strategy on all sides.
    -For all the chirping about the tires falling off, I kind of like it. Reminds me of the old days. I would like to see them last just a little longer so they don't have to struggle so deep into the run.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Go figure they'd quote Princess Dario's brother.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Michael has announced that Milwaukee will be back next June!

------

-John Wooden

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The one big problem with the concept was demonstrated in that clip. You'll notice it did not even TRY to respond to counter steering to keep it out of the fence. It plowed straight ahead like a dump truck. I was glad to see it on track though.

hmmmmm

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ound-Milwaukee

This race was controversial, too. Scott Dixon got slapped with a penalty for jumping the aborted restart on Lap 103. Car owner Chip Ganassi was hopping mad, dropping a choice word about the officiating.

"That was a call on a restart that never happened," he said.

First-year race director Beaux Barfield later admitted his mistake. He said a computer glitch caused him to review the wrong restart.

"We thought we were looking at the correct (replay)," he said. "If we would have played it four or five seconds more, we would have realized (the field) got to the start/finish line and got the yellow flag. That was my mistake."

Dixon finished 11th, a place Barfield said he couldn't correct once the drive-through penalty was served.
    Actually, when they showed the proper replay on ABC I just assumed Dixon was the reason the start was aborted so the penalty was warranted. Of course Hull said the start was too slow that time.... and I'm not sure what the official reason was for the start being waved off. So maybe Dixon has a point. Barfield has now made it a point for him.

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

That was indeed the reason the first start was waved off. He didn't really jump on the second one.

Dixie also jumps restarts all the time, kinda of like how Helio is notorious for blocking. Let him get busted for once.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    "Drivers in Wisconsin for Saturday's race at the Milwaukee Mile mentioned Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis., as a potential replacement venue for the China race. Adding a second stop at Texas Motor Speedway also has been discussed.

But TMS president Eddie Gossage said Friday that the offer has been declined because the proposed date of Oct. 7 falls too close to the NASCAR triple-header weekend at Texas four weeks later.

Other tracks drivers mentioned as potential replacements were Laguna Seca in California, Watkins Glen in upstate New York and Phoenix International Raceway."

My vote goes to MIS, PIR and then RA. The Glen is OK, I can't see them hauling all the way back out to Laguna.

------

-John Wooden

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: