Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

As if this couldn't get anymore embarassing.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Probably not the followup to Indy that the series was hoping for on ABC.

BTW... in case anyone missed it... because ABC sure did... Rahal DID get refired and restarted the race. Not sure what they fixed or how long it took them, but he was out there.

Not sure what the big deal over the tire change and restart was. I could understand someone trying to game the system a little and change compounds, but when you get called out on it I'm not sure why anyone would be pizzed. Whatever tire you were on when the red flag fell you have to restart on the same compound.... makes sense to me. The red flag shouldn't allow someone to gain an advantage. ...Although I guess they could argue it's now a 15 lap sprint instead of 45 laps so they should be able to setup for a 15 lap sprint.

Looks like Honda has things sorted out....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

As if we needed more proof that either Milwaukee or Texas should follow Indy....

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was just bad. I can't believe that could happen to a place that should be kept at IRL standards. Shades of Martinsville in Nascar
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably not the followup to Indy that the series was hoping for on ABC.

BTW... in case anyone missed it... because ABC sure did... Rahal DID get refired and restarted the race. Not sure what they fixed or how long it took them, but he was out there.

Not sure what the big deal over the tire change and restart was. I could understand someone trying to game the system a little and change compounds, but when you get called out on it I'm not sure why anyone would be pizzed. Whatever tire you were on when the red flag fell you have to restart on the same compound.... makes sense to me. The red flag shouldn't allow someone to gain an advantage. ...Although I guess they could argue it's now a 15 lap sprint instead of 45 laps so they should be able to setup for a 15 lap sprint.

Looks like Honda has things sorted out....
    Graham was yelling about the clutch being inop. They didn't seem to be sure, so they were going to change the steering wheel to make sure it was the clutch and not just a defective button/light. I kept yelling at the tv that you don't need the ****ing clutch, just go. The deal with the tires was the classic monkey see, monkey do. Somebody started it, somebody saw it, somebody said screw it we are too and somebody got pissed about it and made an issue out of it. Lather rinse and repeat. I'm sure Chevy is getting PISSED over this turbo deal. There should be changes allowed, by rule, this month.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    I'm sure Chevy is getting PISSED over this turbo deal. There should be changes allowed, by rule, this month.
    And I don't blame them one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    And I don't blame them one bit.
    Nope. They kinda got jobbed a little bit. Honda did their homework, that's for sure. Steagles, that track has been used as public roads, much like the őle Notre-Dame home of the Canadian GP (on Fox this weekend, BTW) and hasn't been used as a race circuit for 4 years. Still, I've never seen the sealer peel up in strips like that. I have seen asphalt and concrete break up mid corner and on corner exits at several circuits (Mid Ohio, Canada GP every year, etc). Most unusual.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Well, the owners don't want the aero kits for 2013 and they are not happy that the Dallara is costing them 600,000.00 instead of the under 400,000.00 they were told. Of course that does beg the question- if the car makers were told the cars could cost 600,000.00 would other companies have been interested in competing? ...And as sole supplier of the cars and all their parts with no outside sources allowed for parts and pieces, where is the incentive for Dallara to moderate prices?

Somebody needs to figure out at what point the competition to be fastest/better also has the factor of competition to want to sell and be the better bargain/bang for buck.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I ****ing told you this would happen with those *******s. You watch. The price war begins. The only way to stop it is competition, but it has to be REAL competition.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I think it would've helped if the series had a standing rule in place that required at least 1 generation of cars to be grandfathered in (at least with updates and safety requirements) as each successive new car rules are established. Of course you'd need this rule in place as a standing rule (and not a makeshift 'add it later rule') so that new car rules would be written with full knowledge the older car would still be legal and be designed accordingly.
    Last edited by Bball; 06-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.

------

-John Wooden

Too late. That horse is gone. If they haven't pissed everybody of by getting back in bed with Dallara (after getting *** ****ed for the last umpteen years) they REALLY need to sit down with Lola and Swift and whomever else will come to the table and say alright boys we ****ed up but were going to get it right, here's the bottom line price, not one ****ing dime over, build it. I don't give a **** where you build it (see how well the tax incentives worked out). Let all those little shops over in Gasoline Alley get busy making spare parts. Let the marketplace determines who survives and who doesn't. If they build **** spares, they won't last long.

------

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Tools.

"I'm not talking to Foyt, he's mad at me. Hell, Most of the owners are mad at me."

I love the Robin Miller Grid Run.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I expect Dario to crash out tonight and then whine and blame some other driver for it.

Justin Wilson! Nice surprise!!! Unfortunately, didn't get to see the race.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Very cool race. No pack racing. Lifting on a 1.5mi cookie cutter. Whoda thunk it?

------

-John Wooden

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's a great package, I just wish it came in more flavors.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

And racing like last night would be what we'd get with different flavors, except more long term sustainablility, because different flavors means eventually the whole paddock won't lock in on the same basic setup for the same basic cars.

One thing I wonder about is if Firestone had tires developed to go off when they did or if that was all a function of the cars lacking downforce and wearing tires quicker. Which obviously is wearing tires quicker, I guess my question or point is wondering if Firestone and the league got what they wanted out of the tires or whether Firestone will use the data to change tire compounds for longer runs in the future....

------

-John Wooden

Not sure about that. I'm suspecting that the series got pretty much what they wanted so they will encourage Firestone to stand pat. The drivers will ***** but I think the series wins this one.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Ah crap, now it comes out that Wilson and Carpenter both failed post race inspection:

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/...cars-penalized

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sandman beat me to it:

INDYCAR announced penalties stemming from post-race technical inspection of the June 9 Firestone 550 at Texas Motor Speedway.

The No. 18 car Dale Coyne Racing car driven by Justin Wilson was fined $7,500 and docked five entrant points for not complying with the sidepod top deck aerodynamic element of Rule 14.6.4.13.

14.6.4.13 Texas Aero Summary (updated June 3, 2012 via bulletin)
    The following parts may not be used at Texas Motor Speedway: Sidepod Top Deck (part number IR1225195RH/LH - IR1202A031/32)

The No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing car driven by Ed Carpenter was fined $5,000 and penalized one entrant point for not complying with Rule 14.6.1.3.

14.6.1.3. Texas Race Event (updated June 8, 2012 via bulletin)
    A rear wing wicker up to a maximum of 1/8-inch height and full span may be used.

The members may contest the imposition of the penalties pursuant to the procedures and timelines detailed in the protest and appeal procedures of the IZOD IndyCar Series rulebook.

------------------------------

While I'm sure certain things could be done that would take a post race inspection to catch, weren't these issues that a prerace inspection would catch? Of course you'd still need the post race inspection to make sure nobody tried to sneak one past race officials after being checked. But the point being, do a pre-race inspection and you catch something pre-race it might save from any negative publicity of a tainted win. Hahahaha... I'm assuming Indycar will get ANY casual fan type publicity 2 days following a race... what am I thinking???

It does taint the win somewhat... although the 7500.00 doesn't seem to imply it does. Or doesn't seem to want to imply that.

------

-John Wooden

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Then again... you'd ASSUME if someone was going to cheat they'd find a way to do it less obviously....

Makes you wonder if the paddock isn't used to a different sheriff and different way of doing things....

------

-John Wooden

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

"It's not cheating if you don't get caught... or get to keep the trophy"

------

-John Wooden

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Generally, tech inspection is conducted prior to practice and qualifying. Post qualifying I'm not sure that Indycar conducts a further check, but Indy Lights does. I suspect it is the same process. Then, post race an inspection is conducted on a set number of cars and a random or two. They must have felt the infractions were minor or they would have dropped the hammer. The previous sheriff in town never publicized an infraction that I am aware of. As a rule, most of your "rampant" cheating is conducted on the speedways.