Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Indycar thread

Default Re: 2012 Indycar thread

I saw a quote attributed to the mayor of Hinchtown that I thought was pretty funny. Apparently someone in the media asked him about half the field having to start in the back... He told them 1/2 the field always starts in the back....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's James' world, we just live in it! He is just exactly what you see (and read).
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

The 10 Honda-powered teams in the IZOD IndyCar Series have dealt with frustration after coming to Long Beach with an updated turbo configuration, only to be told by the series that they would need to revert to the previous configuration before the start of practice.

Using a single BorgWarner unit, Honda teams have been somewhat vocal about the disparity in throttle response in comparison to the smaller twin-turbo configuration used by rivals Chevrolet and Lotus.

After registering those complaints, Honda was allowed to use updated units, but it's believed that pushback from at least one engine manufacturer caused the series to change its mind and seek additional information to support Honda's claims.
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...honda-runners/

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Oy. Just keeps getting better and better doesn't it? They're going to have to be careful because now it just looks like they're a bunch of *** clowns.
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mood

Going back a page or so, I really like Bob Jenkins. His voice is the best!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going back a page or so, I really like Bob Jenkins. His voice is the best!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Me2!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

How does SFHR and Newgarden not have a sponsor??

------

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    How does SFHR and Newgarden not have a sponsor??
    That way Hinch can make background appearances and crash Newgarden's interviews?

Hinch 4 homepage!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

So did Marco and Graham just show us the new 'rear bumpers' aren't the answer for not launching cars?

------

-John Wooden

Kinda sorta looked that way. Doesn't it? Having said that, these cars take and *** beating and don't seem to leave a thousand pounds of carbon all over.

On the bright side, the car pretty went up and came right back down. It's a start.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Well... Penske, Power, and Chevrolet have served notice it looks like... Did he really run to the lead, gap the field, and then run something like 7 laps further on fuel?

I thought today's race was fun to watch.

I wonder if that Rahal/Andretti wreck has caused any second looks at the rear bumpers or whether they'll just pretend that wasn't a launch?

NBC Sports is SO much better than ABC. One thing I wish they would do is stay with the in car stuff a little longer sometimes. Let us hear how the driver is getting back on the gas and going up through the gears.

Townsend Bell has went from OK to pretty exceptional as a pit reporter in just a couple of races. He seems very comfortable in that role. And I wonder how long before he gets a memo about not lobbying the series for more HP and less weight?

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    On the bright side, the car pretty went up and came right back down. It's a start.

They are still flat bottoms aren't they?

When they go up all bets are off as to what happens next. I doubt they were all that fast when he launched which I'd think doesn't bode well for a high speed oval. I'd wouldn't have expected to see a car launch at all on road/street races that way for the most part this season. So if it happened here....

------

-John Wooden

...Or is the 'rear bumper' going to be different for the oval package anyway?

------

-John Wooden

woman without a team

NBC Sports is SO much better than ABC.
    x10,000

20. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Yes they are still (relatively) flat, yes the "bumper" is different from RC to Ovals and it looks like the launch was from wheel to wheel contact. Yes the "bumpers" are supposed to prevent that, but unless you totally enclose the wheels, you'll have that. The launch wasn't nearly what you would have seen even last year. I don't know whether that's because of the speed or the new bits.

The engineers are studying it now to see what caused it.
    Last edited by DaveP63; 04-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ong-Beach-race

Graham Rahal placed on probation for 6 races for blocking at IndyCar's Long Beach race

IndyCar champion Dario Franchitti wasn’t penalized for opening-lap contact with rookie Josef Newgarden because race control wasn’t sure there was contact.

Barfield said race stewards Arie Luyendyk and Johnny Unser, former drivers each, said the two camera angles available to them were “inconclusive.”

As for Simon Pagenaud hitting the tire laid out for Will Power on pit road, Barfield said that was a call that “certainly could have gone either way.”

He said the decision not to penalize Pagenaud, who seemed to turn into the tire to avoid Power’s trailing car, was based on the narrow Long Beach pit lane.

“Under normal circumstances (a crew) could send a guy to the center lane and everybody could merge and off you go,” Barfield said. “Since you don’t have that extra lane at Long Beach _ you have that half lane _ when he realized he was going and there was a car coming, he didn’t have that extra lane.

------

-John Wooden

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm starting to wonder if Franchitti and team is really that far out of sorts with his car... or if there's a mental thing going on... particularly in light of Vegas and Wheldon?

------

-John Wooden

Don't know, but it's the 400 pound gorilla in the room that nobody's talking about.

I dont think its all Dario. Ganassi as a whole seems to be struggling (karma for the missed penalties last year?).

The Hondolo's aren't quite up to speed on the RCs. We'll have to wait until they get on the ovals to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I dont think its all Dario. Ganassi as a whole seems to be struggling (karma for the missed penalties last year?).
    Dixon has been racy.... He could've won the previous race with a better last pit stop. At least a better pit stop would've made it interesting. Mechanical gremlins thwarted him at LB.

Rahal expected to Q better at LB but blamed a loose clamp IIRC for a boost problem. ...Hard saying how his race might've been since he didn't want Marco to get around him and so Marco went over him instead.

As for Kimball... I can't really say I judge anything by his progress (or lack thereof) for Ganassi.

But all that said... Dario came close to the pole on his own for LB so his Honda/Dallara was alright in RC Q trim last weekend. Of course he might've had extra incentive and not wanted to be up front solely due to Chevy's penalties. But he wasn't much in the race... and generally hasn't been this season. I'd have less questions if Dixon was also in that boat, but he's looked OK.

------

-John Wooden

http://indycar.com/News/2012/April/4...rm-as-expected

INDYCAR vice president of technology Will Phillips said that the shallow angle and high speed of Marco Andretti’s car relative to the leading car of Graham Rahal were contributing factors in the wheel-to-wheel contact on Lap 23 of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 15.

Review of the video and telemetry data by Dallara and INDYCAR showed the cars running nose to tail at 120.6 mph on the street circuit when the left-front tire of Andretti’s car compromised the right-rear wheel guard of Rahal’s car upon contact and broke off the rear wing.

The undertray of Andretti’s car briefly rode atop the right-rear wheel of Rahal’s car, launching it into the air and into the Turn 8 tire barrier. Andretti climbed from the car without assistance from the Holmatro Safety Team.

“The rear wheel guard was designed to reduce wheel-to-wheel contact. It can’t eliminate it,” Phillips said. “In this instance, it could not prevent it but it mitigated what could have been a worse accident.

“In several instances during the race it did exactly what it was designed to do. In one instance, it was not able to completely prevent wheel-to-wheel contact.”

INDYCAR officials have placed Rahal on probation through the next six race events for blocking and initiating avoidable contact. The probation period will end following the IZOD IndyCar Series event June 23 at Iowa Speedway. If the improvements are not met, INDYCAR may impose other penalties at its discretions.

------

-John Wooden

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

But all that said... Dario came close to the pole on his own for LB so his Honda/Dallara was alright in RC Q trim last weekend. Of course he might've had extra incentive and not wanted to be up front solely due to Chevy's penalties. But he wasn't much in the race... and generally hasn't been this season. I'd have less questions if Dixon was also in that boat, but he's looked OK.
    Dixie didn't get away with as much crap as Dario did last year.

I honestly think Dario messed his car up when he put Newgarden into the wall (and if you look at alternate views, it looks like a punt to me), to me, his failings this year are all karmic retribution.

Is it true he blamed Briscoe for losing his wing, when it was FRANCRYBABY who hit Ryan?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

It looks like 34 cars for Indy assuming Lotus comes thru with their expected allotment...

So, unless Lotus gets more boost for Indy, bump day will be to see which Lotus car doesn't make the field.

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/...ed-in-Indy-500

------

-John Wooden