Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck's arm strength??

Default Andrew Luck's arm strength??

Just finished watching Luck's Pro Day.... Final pass perfect throw, receiver blew it..... 70 yards. He's going to be a good one.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Andrew Luck's arm strength??

Watching ESPN this afternoon and all three commentators including Polian agreed that the kid has good arm strength and can throw the deep ball well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

It's really starting to hit me how fortunate we are to have a prospect like this. Think how many franchises would kill to be in our position right now.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's really starting to hit me how fortunate we are to have a prospect like this. Think how many franchises would kill to be in our position right now.
    Basically, all but 3 or 4 teams in the league. Take him and run

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    You should feel incredibly fortunate. I think someone mentioned something similar before, but think about it. Think about how badly some teams wanted RGIII and the steep price they were willing to pay. Think about the hype RGIII is getting and the talk of his upside.

And think now that everyone knows the Colts are going to draft Luck over RGIII, and nobody thinks they're crazy.

You pretty much knew this was going to happen the second the Colts secured the 1st pick. Irsay knows the long term value of having the #1 pick in the year that a can't miss franchise QB comes out. He knows what could've been with Elway, what was with Manning and what can be with Luck. No way he was ever going to do anything other than draft Luck.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

I'm all in on Luck. I think the only way he is not successful is if he gets hurt.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    You should feel incredibly fortunate. I think someone mentioned something similar before, but think about it. Think about how badly some teams wanted RGIII and the steep price they were willing to pay. Think about the hype RGIII is getting and the talk of his upside.

And think now that everyone knows the Colts are going to draft Luck over RGIII, and nobody thinks they're crazy.

You pretty much knew this was going to happen the second the Colts secured the 1st pick. Irsay knows the long term value of having the #1 pick in the year that a can't miss franchise QB comes out. He knows what could've been with Elway, what was with Manning and what can be with Luck. No way he was ever going to do anything other than draft Luck.
    Many are saying they would take RGIII over Luck including many NFL analyst, but I personally think both will be wonderful, and it wont matter which way you go, and actually I think Luck fits better with our team, and RGIII fits better with the Redskins so this should turn out best for everyone.
    Why so SERIOUS

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do think RG3 is going to be decent in this league, but I think people are buying in to some fool's good quite a bit. I still think he's going to be decent though.

Luck... he's the one to take #1. Watching their demeanor and motion.... RG3 has an almost mechanical/scripted motion (albeit in a very athletic way). It's a little less smooth, a little more violent in the release, it's like he has to put more on it to match Luck's velocity, who's doing it almost effortlessly. Luck looks ridiculously comfortable in his stance, in his motion --- as if he shared the womb with a football and was born to do nothing else except throw the football.

His build is sturdy as hell, whereas RG3 has the Greek god look about it. RG3 threw in a controlled environment for pro day --- Luck threw outsite and chose to throw *against* the wind. That says a lot right there that Luck is a "football player". He had only 1 incompletion all day that was on him.... 3 incompletions, but 2 were complete receiver drops. So 1 incomplete throw out of 50??? And then for dessert, goes out and launches a bomb to dismiss all the "mediocre arm strength" rumors. Everyone was saying 70 yards ---- no, it was 75 yards. 75 yards in the air. Watch it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzfLJ...eature=related

He drops back to the 20 yard line, inches up to the 25, and hits the end zone line!

I hope Grigson/Irsay don't pull something crazy and go with RG3 in this... not that I think RG3 will be bad, but Luck is the one to take here.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Many are saying they would take RGIII over Luck including many NFL analyst, but I personally think both will be wonderful, and it wont matter which way you go, and actually I think Luck fits better with our team, and RGIII fits better with the Redskins so this should turn out best for everyone.
    There are plenty of people who like RGIII because of talent and upside. If RGIII were a prospect in 1998, I'm sure many would be arguing to take him over Manning. Remember that the reason a lot of people were arguing for Leaf over Manning back then was the perceived athleticism and upside that Leaf had. In fact, I think there were more people split over Manning/Leaf back then than Luck/RGIII now.

Also browsed through some Redskins forums after they watched Luck's pro day. Even with their admitted bias of knowing they're getting RGIII, most said after watching Luck that any team picking #1 would have to take him.
    Last edited by d_c; 03-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

RGIII has showed promise for a long time, and I truly believe if he would have went to a bigger named University there would be a good chance that he could go #1, he had been putting up good numbers and showing potential since his freshman year.

Just thinking about the hurdles that he had to overcome this year in regards to taking the top spot, many had him as a 2nd round pick to start the season. Mel Kiper would not even give him any Heisman consideration until late in the season when Brandon Weeden started messing up. There is no way he would be able to overtake luck who has been the consensus #1 pick since the end of his freshman year.

Typically I think of hype as something that is unwarranted, I think RGIII has earned all the attention that he is getting, I do however think Luck should still be the pick for the Colts. If they choose RGIII I will truly be surprised.

I remember the Peyton Manning drafting saga was it him or Leaf, I thought we would get Leaf, and I am extremely happy that we did not, I also thought we would get Ricky Williams instead of Edge, I am happy that we did not in that case as well.
    Why so SERIOUS

Another thing about pro day that wasn't said: Luck said he purposely threw some passes high and behind receivers to showcase their ability to make tough catches.

He didn't tell any scouts beforehand that he was going to do this. I know it's just a little subtlety, but it speaks well of him as a teammate. He was out there trying to make his teammates look good at the risk of making himself look bad.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Typically I think of hype as something that is unwarranted, I think RGIII has earned all the attention that he is getting, I do however think Luck should still be the pick for the Colts. If they choose RGIII I will truly be surprised.

I remember the Peyton Manning drafting saga was it him or Leaf, I thought we would get Leaf, and I am extremely happy that we did not, I also thought we would get Ricky Williams instead of Edge, I am happy that we did not in that case as well.
    It all does sort of remind me of the Manning/Leaf and Edge/Williams decisions, both times the Colts made the right decision.

I think the right decision now is Luck. But.... I don't think RG3 will have the downfalls that Leaf and Ricky had. He may not be as good as Luck, but he's gonna be good.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Another thing about pro day that wasn't said: Luck said he purposely threw some passes high and behind receivers to showcase their ability to make tough catches.

He didn't tell any scouts beforehand that he was going to do this. I know it's just a little subtlety, but it speaks well of him as a teammate. He was out there trying to make his teammates look good at the risk of making himself look bad.
    Or he is just a guy who tries to cover his mistakes with LIES, lol...
    Why so SERIOUS

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are plenty of people who like RGIII because of talent and upside. If RGIII were a prospect in 1998, I'm sure many would be arguing to take him over Manning. Remember that the reason a lot of people were arguing for Leaf over Manning back then was the perceived athleticism and upside that Leaf had. In fact, I think there were more people split over Manning/Leaf back then than Luck/RGIII now.

Also browsed through some Redskins forums after they watched Luck's pro day. Even with their admitted bias of knowing they're getting RGIII, most said after watching Luck that any team picking #1 would have to take him.
    This is the general consensus at ExtremeSkins, from what I have seen.

Luck is a hell of a player, though as I said in another thread I really do not think either team will go wrong with either player.

Or he is just a guy who tries to cover his mistakes with LIES, lol...

I dont know much about Luck, but from the little I have seen/read about him I really do think he is a great team player.

That speaks a lot for any athlete trying to go profession, but especially for a QB

Who has the faster release?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Andrew does. Luck has a release time of .33 sec. That is Manning/Rodgers fast.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7338524

Also, I don't know if you guys realize that he threw that ball on Pro Day 75 yards into the wind. The wind was blowing hard right at him. They commentators were sure to remind everyone about this the whole time. He throws a spiral that is so tight, it is as if the wind has little to no effect on his throws.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    Andrew does. Luck has a release time of .33 sec. That is Manning/Rodgers fast.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7338524

Also, I don't know if you guys realize that he threw that ball on Pro Day 75 yards into the wind. The wind was blowing hard right at him. They commentators were sure to remind everyone about this the whole time. He throws a spiral that is so tight, it is as if the wind has little to no effect on his throws.
    No he threw the 75 yarder down wind. His whole workout he was into the wind and for the last throw he turned around and threw down wind.

It doesn't really matter I am laughing at this who people really think a pro day matters at all and debating who had the better pro day. JaMarcus Russell had the best pro day of all time Mike Mayock said he calls them useless and I tend to agree.

Really is useless and Mayock said no scout is picking a guy based on a pro day.

also people ripping RG3 for laughing and having fun really?? LOL that is all I can say to that.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Agreed P4E.

I heard a few Skins fans mention how they thought RG3 was throwing effortless while Luck kind of threw with all his mite.

I honestly barely focus on all these events, as I honestly think they are at the point of "over-scouting" and borderline insane with our non stop 24/7 coverage and breakdowns

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Agreed P4E.

I heard a few Skins fans mention how they thought RG3 was throwing effortless while Luck kind of threw with all his mite.
    This is exactly the opposite of what I saw.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post

I dont think their release time is a big deal both look really fast and clean(i cant tell who is faster by the naked eye). I mean we aren't talking about either one having a bad motion like a Byron Leftweft or even Cam Newton is a bit herky jerky. Both are quick IMO I would guess Luck is going to be quicker early in his career making reads due to already playing in a pro style system.

also saying that Luck he is Rodgers is a bit odd. I mean Rodgers mechanics were pretty bad at CAL best thing that ever happen to him is getting to sit behind Farve and have the GB coaches fix his motion. He had so much wasted motion before they fixed it. I guess I never see Rodgers as the gold standard. With that said his mechanics are terrific now and he has a solid release. To me Matt Stafford has one of the best releases in the NFL I have always been a big fan of his mechanics he has 0 wasted motion. I like both RG3 and Lucks motion both are very fast and have unique follow thru but both look very good IMO.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    that was in the air ~4.5 seconds, that's a punt's hangtime

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Can't believe the Colts have the opportunity to draft another franchise QB. First Elway, then Manning, now Luck

....But Elway had to go and screw the Colts.... Well maybe Kush screwed the Colts
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 03-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Mood

Release is not as big for both, but RGIII has the quicker release. I think both will be fine though.

So ready for the draft.
    Why so SERIOUS

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post: