Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Hunger Games?

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Hunger Games?

    Anyone read the Hunger Games trilogy? I'm well into book three and think I will go to the movie too. It opens tomorrow.

  2. #2
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Japanese did it first
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

    good movie, very disturbing.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Wife and I will go, maybe not opening weekend.

  5. #4
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Yahoo is taking some people at my office to the 3:30 showing today in Atlanta. I can't go cause of training.

    I am going Sat or Sun. Looks real good. I'll have to read the books too.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  6. #5
    year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,291

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Books 1 and 2 were outstanding; I felt Book 3 dropped down a notch in quality but was still a very good read. It's certainly a trilogy well worth reading, and I'm sure I'll see the first film in a few weeks once the opening rushes have died down.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

  7. #6
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Japanese did it first
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

    good movie, very disturbing.
    They did it better as well.

  8. #7
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Japanese did it first
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

    good movie, very disturbing.
    No, Arnie did it first.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

    Seriously, the Romans did it first. There are no new stories, just new takes on old ones.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Arnie did it first.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

    Seriously, the Romans did it first. There are no new stories, just new takes on old ones.
    Wrong, Running Man was about Felons running a gauntlet and being chased down by the murdering all-stars.

    Nothing about pitting kids against kids. The only similarities are the audience watching the spectacle.

    Yes the Romans did do it first with their Slaves.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  11. #9

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    You know we all scream for originality but it's practically impossible to do these days...Just like TV shows, there comes a time when you run out of material.There are subtle differences between all these films but they all have the same basic idea. Will go see it no doubt.

  12. #10
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    It's based on Theseus and the Minotaur right? At least the reaping part.

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,882

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know we all scream for originality but it's practically impossible to do these days...Just like TV shows, there comes a time when you run out of material.There are subtle differences between all these films but they all have the same basic idea. Will go see it no doubt.
    Sorry, but I disagree.

    Shows like The Wire show you can still be originial.

    It may be harder to be extra creative, but it is not impossible. I screened plenty of movies for our Campus Movie Fest last year, and plenty of our shorts were not remakes of willy wonka or freaking a remake or TMNT.

    Sorry for the side-rant.

    Looking forward to Hunger Games

  14. #12
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Five facts about the Hunger Games

    http://screenrant.com/hunger-games-m...gn=scribol.com

  15. #13

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Arnie did it first.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

    Seriously, the Romans did it first. There are no new stories, just new takes on old ones.
    Right, it's a completely different story even though there's a similar premise.

    First of all, one is a distinctly American story, and the other distinctly Japanese.

    Battle Royale, the "battle" "discipline" a Japanese value. The violence. You watched each and every child die. The "horror" was what kids would do to each other. You also had a bit of the "joker" game, because if they didn't kill each other, they'd all die.

    In the Hunger games, the violence isn't as important, although it's there. It's more about survival than killing. The real story and horror is the people in the capitol, gleefully watching kids fight to the death while they feast. A social commentary on reality television and the haves and have nots. (With some obvious Roman ties, but even that is very American.)

    The movie, IMO, was better than the books.
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.

  16. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,970

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    I enjoyed the movie. Wasn't great though, never really became emotionally involved in the movie. Also I think with some better editing it could have been better 15 minutes shoter

  17. #15
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    I enjoyed the movie and got into it, and I thought the acting was very, very, good. However, I actually I think the movie should have been longer. I don't think you will get really involved in the movie, or understand it unless you read the books.

    Things were not explained in the movie version. Without revealing a movie spoiler for instant, how did Thresh know about Rue and Katness's alliance?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-25-2012 at 07:07 AM.

  18. #16
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I loved the movie and hadn't read any of the books before hand.... but after the movie was over, I really wanted to know what was about to happen, I could tell it was something big, so I downloaded books 2 and 3 on my Ipad.. I'm already halfway thru the second book.. really good so far.

  19. #17
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Watched the movie on Sunday.

    Just plain awesome!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  20. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,970

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    I just thought it was a little flat overall - maybe too controlled. Needed a little more spark for this type of movie. Also it had almost no humor

  21. #19
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just thought it was a little flat overall - maybe too controlled. Needed a little more spark for this type of movie. Also it had almost no humor
    It was a very somber movie. But reading the synopsis for the books (I'll get the books later), there doesn't seem to be much humor. That's probably is what's missing.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  22. #20
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,887

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Went and watched the movie last night. I thought it was amazing too. I'm starting the book now, and I see that it's only about 1000 pages for all three of them combined. I'm sure I'll have it knocked out by the end of the week.

    I'm hoping that this story follows the usual path of book>>>>>>movie.

  23. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,970

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a very somber movie. But reading the synopsis for the books (I'll get the books later), there doesn't seem to be much humor. That's probably is what's missing.

    I'm probably just being too critical. It was a good movie. Don't want humor just for humor sake. It was a good movie, but IMO not a great movie.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  25. #22
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,827
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    I loved it. This series could can a larger following than LOTR, Twilight, and Harry Potter because it is cross-generational off the start.

  26. #23
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went and watched the movie last night. I thought it was amazing too. I'm starting the book now, and I see that it's only about 1000 pages for all three of them combined. I'm sure I'll have it knocked out by the end of the week.

    I'm hoping that this story follows the usual path of book>>>>>>movie.
    Just 1000 altogether. That's short.

    I'm used to Robert Jordan and even Patrick Rothfuss. Each of their books is around 1000 pages or more. lol
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  27. #24
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,032
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just 1000 altogether. That's short.

    I'm used to Robert Jordan and even Patrick Rothfuss. Each of their books is around 1000 pages or more. lol


    You have to realize that the books have a target audience of 13-20 years of age.

  28. #25
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hunger Games?

    I didn't see the movie, but I was watching Conan and one of the main male characters (i think?), well he is Thor's younger brother.

Similar Threads

  1. The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread
    By kbills05 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 496
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
  2. Manning: MVP!
    By duke dynamite in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 02:36 AM
  3. Pacers have had the toughest schedule so far - USA Today
    By RandyWrinkles in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
  4. Weekend Recap 03-07: News from Around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •