Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Draft

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2012 NFL Draft

The draft is going to be approaching before we even know it. As Colts fans, we are eagerly looking forward to it, not being a part of the playoffs AND having the #1 pick. We just hired our new GM, Ryan Grigson. So I think it would be a pretty good time to start chatting about the whole draft, even past that #1, Andrew Luck pick. Here is an example of what one site has us picking up in the draft:

Colts picks from Draftsite(By Round):
    1. Andrew Luck QB, Stanford, 6'4, 235 lbs
    2. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina 6'1, 188 lbs
    3. Chandler Jones DE, Syracuse 6'5, 251 lbs
    4. Derek Wolf DT, Cincinnati 6'5, 298 lbs
    5. Harrison Smith S, Notre Dame, 6'2, 212 lbs
    6. Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State 6'5, 220 lbs
    7. James Brooks OG, Virginia Tech 6'2 296 lbs

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2012

Obviously this list will change a lot and vary from site to site, but its a good start. Feel free to discuss anything about the draft in here!

Default Re: 2012 NFL Draft

If Burficit falls, does anyone think the Colts should snag him? I don't see the Ravens passing on him, but thought I would throw that out there.

I guess it would depend on the type of coach the new GM puts in place (I think Caldwell will be let go).
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

I'm afraid I don't watch college football at all so....but I do like the idea with our 2nd round pick were going close to where we've been picking in the first round for a number of years. I know our defense has so many problems but we're probably saying goodbye to Reggie so we have to look for his replacement as well.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm afraid I don't watch college football at all so....but I do like the idea with our 2nd round pick were going close to where we've been picking in the first round for a number of years. I know our defense has so many problems but we're probably saying goodbye to Reggie so we have to look for his replacement as well.
    Ya if we could pick that Corner up in the second round that would be a great pick. He's a very talented CB who can also be a good kick returner. Can be inconsistant at times but should be worth the pick. Some have him gone in the first round though.

Mood

If Jeffery is there for the Bears I would be ecstatic

this mock is weird though I dont see any way Lamicheal James goes first rd.

I could be way off but the trend is RB going later and later and James isnt even a 3 down guy he is a specialty guy.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

I could be way off but the trend is RB going later and later and James isnt even a 3 down guy he is a specialty guy.
    Ya Jeffery was really impressive in his bowl game matchup against one of the best Corners... Though they were both tossed for fighting, it was a great matchup to watch, which Jeffery got the best of.

Also agree, if a RB is not a dominant guy like Richardson, he's not all that important. Many teams go with a two or three back scheme, switching back and forth to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

A team could reach for him just like the Lions did with Jahvid Best which James reminds me of.

Personally I think the COlts go wr sooner than 6th round but thats just me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1st 1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6'4" 235
    2nd 34 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin 6'2" 220
    3rd 65 Josh Chapman DT Alabama 6'1" 310
    4th 98 Shaun Prater CB Iowa 5'10" 185
    5th 130 Ryan Miller OG Colorado 6'8" 298
    6th 161 Jake Baquette DE Arkansas 6'5" 271
    7th 194 BJ Cunningham WR Michigan St. 6'2" 223

this would be my idea of a solid draft, but it would all hinge on us releasing Manning and maybe picking up a S and CB through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by swifty1812 View Post
    1st 1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6'4" 235
    2nd 34 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin 6'2" 220
    3rd 65 Josh Chapman DT Alabama 6'1" 310
    4th 98 Shaun Prater CB Iowa 5'10" 185
    5th 130 Ryan Miller OG Colorado 6'8" 298
    6th 161 Jake Baquette DE Arkansas 6'5" 271
    7th 194 BJ Cunningham WR Michigan St. 6'2" 223

this would be my idea of a solid draft, but it would all hinge on us releasing Manning and maybe picking up a S and CB through FA.
    Mind would be

1) Luck
    2) Dontraie Poe DT Memphis 6'5 350 lbs
    3) Chris Givens WR/KR Wake Forest
    4) Josh Robinson CB CF

I don't think the colts take a DT that earlier but I hope they do.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Mind would be

1) Luck
    2) Dontraie Poe DT Memphis 6'5 350 lbs
    3) Chris Givens WR/KR Wake Forest
    4) Josh Robinson CB CF

I don't think the colts take a DT that earlier but I hope they do.
    I love Poe, but I have a feeling a 3-4 team is going to grab him in the mid to late 1st. The reason i went WR in round 2 was the fact I bet we lose either Garcon/Wayne or both, and we will need some depth. Since the only WR on the roster we will have will be Austin Collie and Blair white.

I love Poe, but I have a feeling a 3-4 team is going to grab him in the mid to late 1st. The reason i went WR in round 2 was the fact I bet we lose either Garcon/Wayne or both, and we will need some depth. Since the only WR on the roster we will have will be Austin Collie and Blair white.
    I have a feeling that Wayne will walk and Garcon will be kept if however its the reverse then I think we go with a Arkansas WR to stretch the field in the 3rd or 4th round.

I think the Colts need to change the defensive scheme and then look OL and defense in the draft and FA. ...After the 1st pick of course. Then let the QB 'make' the receivers by being accurate and with touch putting the ball where and how they need it. We can't get too much tied up in the offensive side of the ball or our offense won't be on the field to use any of the talent while the other team runs it down our throat and eats up the clock.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Yeah its so early, I think it is much easier to talk about the NBA draft than NFL just because of the massive size difference of the two.

But as far as need I think it will be:

1st Luck
    2nd CB, WR, TE
    3nd S, WR, DL
    4th OL, DL
    5th CB, WR, S

I think the rest of the draft is really best play available, but since we have a early 5th I think we will still target players in those areas.

The TE with the 2nd rd pick would be Cody Fleener by the way, I think Dwayne would be gone by then, and with Dallas getting up there in age and down there in ability, and Tamme's so so production, it would be good to bring in a reliable check-down for Luck, who used his TE's a bunch. With Fleener you have the relationship already built.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah its so early, I think it is much easier to talk about the NBA draft than NFL just because of the massive size difference of the two.

But as far as need I think it will be:

1st Luck
    2nd CB, WR, TE
    3nd S, WR, DL
    4th OL, DL
    5th CB, WR, S

I think the rest of the draft is really best play available, but since we have a early 5th I think we will still target players in those areas.

The TE with the 2nd rd pick would be Cody Fleener by the way, I think Dwayne would be gone by then, and with Dallas getting up there in age and down there in ability, and Tamme's so so production, it would be good to bring in a reliable check-down for Luck, who used his TE's a bunch. With Fleener you have the relationship already built.
    You don't like brody huh? Personally I think te is the last position they try to fill but if they letmanning go I see your logic.

Mood

You don't like brody huh? Personally I think te is the last position they try to fill but if they letmanning go I see your logic.
    Brody is a Blocking TE, the Colts need a TE that can give mixmatches in the passing game as well as stretch the field at times.

I do not think it is one of their biggest areas right now, but if Dwayne Allen falls to the 2nd I think it should be a no brainer, he can do all the above as well as block, he is probably one of the best blocking TE's I have seen in college. With how Luck likes to use the run as well as our tackle blocking issues he would be a excellent addition to this team.

I think the wideout class is pretty deep so we should be able to get one of those in most rounds. I do not think we will really worry about the LB group much, I think we could go after DE but not sure how early we will do that. I think that we have a lot of young CBs that showed some promise with the new system, and with a new DC we could see them blossom. Safety is a area of concern but we will have Bulliet back and they seem to like Caldwell.

Doubt we will touch the RB position. The only other real concern for us would be securing the line, which actually had a lot of good games last year, but got plagued with injuries, but most still are not starters.
    Why so SERIOUS

Brody is a Blocking TE, the Colts need a TE that can give mixmatches in the passing game as well as stretch the field at times.

I do not think it is one of their biggest areas right now, but if Dwayne Allen falls to the 2nd I think it should be a no brainer, he can do all the above as well as block, he is probably one of the best blocking TE's I have seen in college. With how Luck likes to use the run as well as our tackle blocking issues he would be a excellent addition to this team.

I think the wideout class is pretty deep so we should be able to get one of those in most rounds. I do not think we will really worry about the LB group much, I think we could go after DE but not sure how early we will do that. I think that we have a lot of young CBs that showed some promise with the new system, and with a new DC we could see them blossom. Safety is a area of concern but we will have Bulliet back and they seem to like Caldwell.

Doubt we will touch the RB position. The only other real concern for us would be securing the line, which actually had a lot of good games last year, but got plagued with injuries, but most still are not starters.
    The combination of Tamme and Brody is not that bad IMO so with Clark in the mix I just doubt we go TE in the second round..

As far as DE's are concerned this draft isn't too bad as far as depth. Certainly not great but you can get an impact guy in ealry second for sure and maybe in the third. Vinny Curry wouldn't be a bad in the third round. He can play either DE position and looks like he has the speed and strength to get it done in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-gRqSoSxg I love the 3:40 mark hussel play.

Mood

The combination of Tamme and Brody is not that bad IMO so with Clark in the mix I just doubt we go TE in the second round..

As far as DE's are concerned this draft isn't too bad as far as depth. Certainly not great but you can get an impact guy in ealry second for sure and maybe in the third. Vinny Curry wouldn't be a bad in the third round. He can play either DE position and looks like he has the speed and strength to get it done in the NFL.

Curry looks pretty nice.

One thing I will say is that it seems we are in a rebuilding mode so we will see what happens with the team. Pretty soon we should know what we will be looking for in the off-season.

I still feel none of those TE's offer what Allen offers, when Eldrich is in the game it is pretty much assumed he will be blocking, Tamme catching, and Clark catching (when healthy).

I am just happy that we are in the position to really add a lot of young depth to our team, I am really excited to see which way this team heads.

P.S. I do not think the Peyton will be back, I don't think that he should either with his neck issue. I would rather him retire a Colt as well as have a long productive life after football.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Here is my draft philosophy for needs:

1st QB- Luck
    2nd DT or CB- Stephon Gilmore or Josh Chapman
    3rd WR or OLB- Nick Toon or best available OLB?
    4th WR or OLB Not gotten last round Chris Givens or OLB
    5th S or DT- best available S or DT
    6th Most athletic defensive player left
    7th Best fullback available or WR that may be a project

Once we get closer to the draft and the combine we'll see who is best fitting after Luck.

If you want a TE that can create mismatches...look no further than Orson Charles out of UGA.

Mood

Also keep in mind that Tamme is a FA, so that could play into it also.

Also keep in mind that Tamme is a FA, so that could play into it also.
    True but you still have Clark and we could easily use a 4th round pick on a TE. Of all the positions to fill its one of the last I would consider personally.

This year we need a DE, WR, CB, DT, C and thats ranking based on what I think the priority is for the Colts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    Here is my draft philosophy for needs:

1st QB- Luck
    2nd DT or CB- Stephon Gilmore or Josh Chapman
    3rd WR or OLB- Nick Toon or best available OLB?
    4th WR or OLB Not gotten last round Chris Givens or OLB
    5th S or DT- best available S or DT
    6th Most athletic defensive player left
    7th Best fullback available or WR that may be a project

Once we get closer to the draft and the combine we'll see who is best fitting after Luck.
    I think we combine the fullback and backup TE into one pick like maybe Rhett Eillsion from USC in the 6th round.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 01-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Mood

Here is the thing, I may have rushed to the idea that we should take a TE in the 2nd if one of them slips, but her is the thing, one of the best friends for a young QB is a good TE and Allen offers that in many ways as far as blocking, route running, mismatches, I would not mind if the Colts grabbed him in the early 2nd.

What I do think will happen is that the Colts seem to be in a rebuilding stage from many of Irsay's comments so I think that a good player will slip out of the first round and the Colts will most likely pick him up.

I see the need for various positions on this team and all can be targeted with the 2nd round pick.

Picks that I would not mind.

1. Kendall Wright from Baylor WR, this is assuming Wayne is not signed back.
    2. Melvin Ingram from SC if we do not get Mathis back
    3. Zach Brown from UNC, although I doubt he will slip that far he is a OLB that can cover
    4. Quinton Couples UNC DE Different type of DE but he has a lot of talent
    5. Janoris Jenkins CB UF/DII, lots of upside could slip due to various reasons.
    6. Vontez Burfict OLB could slip as well
    7. Alshon Jefferies SC WR, not all the way sold on him yet in the NFL, but he definitely has talent.

I think all of these guys have 1st rd potential and I think at least 1 if not more will slip to us and we will have our choice.

Again, there is so much that will happen between now and draft day, much of this will change and people that were projected to be 1st rounders will slip, and those who weren't will take their spots.

I think the Colts will have a lot of people fall to them this year, I hope we have productive picks.

Also I will add DT is interesting position for this team, not sure what I would do if I were the GM, we have a lot of young guys there who have shown some positive signs but are not where I expect them to be, there should be a lot of DT help near the beginning of the 2nd as well.
    Why so SERIOUS

Here is the thing, I may have rushed to the idea that we should take a TE in the 2nd if one of them slips, but her is the thing, one of the best friends for a young QB is a good TE and Allen offers that in many ways as far as blocking, route running, mismatches, I would not mind if the Colts grabbed him in the early 2nd.

What I do think will happen is that the Colts seem to be in a rebuilding stage from many of Irsay's comments so I think that a good player will slip out of the first round and the Colts will most likely pick him up.

I see the need for various positions on this team and all can be targeted with the 2nd round pick.

Picks that I would not mind.

1. Kendall Wright from Baylor WR, this is assuming Wayne is not signed back.
    2. Melvin Ingram from SC if we do not get Mathis back
    3. Zach Brown from UNC, although I doubt he will slip that far he is a OLB that can cover
    4. Quinton Couples UNC DE Different type of DE but he has a lot of talent
    5. Janoris Jenkins CB UF/DII, lots of upside could slip due to various reasons.
    6. Vontez Burfict OLB could slip as well
    7. Alshon Jefferies SC WR, not all the way sold on him yet in the NFL, but he definitely has talent.

I think all of these guys have 1st rd potential and I think at least 1 if not more will slip to us and we will have our choice.

Again, there is so much that will happen between now and draft day, much of this will change and people that were projected to be 1st rounders will slip, and those who weren't will take their spots.

I think the Colts will have a lot of people fall to them this year, I hope we have productive picks.

Also I will add DT is interesting position for this team, not sure what I would do if I were the GM, we have a lot of young guys there who have shown some positive signs but are not where I expect them to be, there should be a lot of DT help near the beginning of the 2nd as well.
    NOw that we know the Colts are going to a 3/4 scheme the NT is going to be really important postion to consider and let me say I don't think we plug a rookie in there and he gives us much right off the bat.

Personally I think the Colts need to sign a cheap veteran option and then draft a NT in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Here is a list of veterans I could see us going after.. All of these guys are 30 and above.

Antonio Garay - 6'4 320 lb, Last played for the Chargers
    Shaun Rodgers- 6'4 350 lb, Last team saints
    Sione Pouha - 6'3 325 lb, Jets

Late draft picks.

Hebron Fangupo - 6'1 331 lb, BYU player but a USC transfer. He's short but has a solid motor.

Akiem Hicks - 6'5 324 lb, He was apart of LSU scandal so he went to Canada for college ball. He isn't a traditional NT but he has a massive frame and could be converted to one. He has a 35 1/2 arm length and even if he can't be a NT he will be a force next to one. Solid pass rusher as well and really athletic for his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjwR...layer_embedded

Alameda Ta"amu - 6'3 341 Washington

He could go in the 4th and although he doesn't offer much of a pass rush he will be tough to move.

The colts will have to get a solid rotation going so I can see them easily going after a veteran and drafting a guy. If Poe drops then you have to select him in the second round IMO.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

NOw that we know the Colts are going to a 3/4 scheme the NT is going to be really important postion to consider and let me say I don't think we plug a rookie in there and he gives us much right off the bat.

Personally I think the Colts need to sign a cheap veteran option and then draft a NT in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Here is a list of veterans I could see us going after.. All of these guys are 30 and above.

Antonio Garay - 6'4 320 lb, Last played for the Chargers
    Shaun Rodgers- 6'4 350 lb, Last team saints
    Sione Pouha - 6'3 325 lb, Jets

Late draft picks.

Hebron Fangupo - 6'1 331 lb, BYU player but a USC transfer. He's short but has a solid motor.

Akiem Hicks - 6'5 324 lb, He was apart of LSU scandal so he went to Canada for college ball. He isn't a traditional NT but he has a massive frame and could be converted to one. He has a 35 1/2 arm length and even if he can't be a NT he will be a force next to one. Solid pass rusher as well and really athletic for his size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QjwR...layer_embedded

Alameda Ta"amu - 6'3 341 Washington

He could go in the 4th and although he doesn't offer much of a pass rush he will be tough to move.

The colts will have to get a solid rotation going so I can see them easily going after a veteran and drafting a guy. If Poe drops then you have to select him in the second round IMO.
    Yeah I think that is a must do, I have really heard a lot of good things about Poe, If he did fall as you suggest, he would be wonderful to me.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44 View Post
    If you want a TE that can create mismatches...look no further than Orson Charles out of UGA.
    He'd be available in the 2nd round but I highly doubt the Colts are going to go TE at all in this draft. I'm not sure what Dallas Clark's contract status is, but I'm assuming he is still in Indy as is Tamme.