Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HAMMERTIME! (BountyGate)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default HAMMERTIME! (BountyGate)

Breaking from Schefter regarding the Saints and Bountygate:

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    Sean Payton suspended one year. Mickey Loomis 8 game and $500,000 fine. Saints fined $500,000 and a second round pick in 2012 and 2012.

WOW!

Chris Mortensen ‏ @mortreport
    Rams DC Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely but will miss at least 2012 season for his role with Saints bounty program
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: HAMMERTIME! (BountyGate)

The NFL just adminstered their own "Remember me now" hit...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Yipes. Can't say you didn't see this coming, however.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think we all knew it was going to be harsh, but still.

WOW!

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
    Saints asst coach Joe Vitt also suspended six games and fined $100,000.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

holy ****
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Mood

Was this another unanimous vote of 1 to 0? Yeesh. 2004 flashbacks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I imagine they'll get leveled down after appeals, but the message to organizations has been sent loud and clear.

Mood

the NFL is indeed dropping the hammer. Its good to see that Roger Goodell isnt playing around when it comes to player safety. Props to the NFL!
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Wow...
    That sends a message.

Of course you have to be careful that the message you send doesn't make the story bigger than it needs to be... But the bounty issue couldn't go on either...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I guess the feel good Saints story is over.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I imagine they'll get leveled down after appeals, but the message to organizations has been sent loud and clear.
    I don't know about the success of any appeal. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision. From all indications the NFL was very thorough in their investigation and built their case methodically and overwhelmingly.

As such, I don't buy Hicks' comparison to the Brawl. That was a kneejerk reaction to a solitary incident. This was a systemic program and cover-up that went on for years.
    Last edited by Kegboy; 03-21-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Was this another unanimous vote of 1 to 0? Yeesh. 2004 flashbacks.
    I don't think so. The Saints were warned to knock off the bounty program and they didn't. Now they reap the consequences of that decision.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...aints-2012.pdf

Pretty much puts it in stone. Saints staff lied to the league.

3. Coach Williams acknowledged that he designed and implemented the program with the assistance of certain
    defensive players. He said that he did so after being told by Saints Head Coach Sean Payton that his
    assignment was to make the defense “nasty.”
    Coach Williams described his role as overseeing record keeping,
    defining payout amounts, deciding on who received payouts, and distributing envelopes with cash to players
    who “earned” rewards.
    5. Coach Williams now acknowledges that when he was first questioned about this matter in early 2010 he
    intentionally misled NFL investigators and made no effort to stop the program after he became aware of the
    league’s investigation.

6. Coach Williams further confirmed that the program continued during the 2010 and 2011 seasons, and that
    he occasionally contributed funds to the pool in each of those seasons.

7. Assistant Head Coach/Defense Joe Vitt acknowledged that he was aware of the program in 2009-2011. He
    admitted that, when interviewed in 2010, he “fabricated the truth” to NFL investigators and denied that any pay-
    for-performance or bounty program existed at the Saints.

8. Coach Vitt said one of his primary roles was to monitor the activity of Coach Williams. This was based on
    the direction of Coach Payton, who apparently had less than full confidence in Coach Williams.
    Despite Coach
    Vitt’s knowledge of the bounty program, his understanding of the terms “knock-out” and “cart-off,” his
    witnessing Coach Williams handing out envelopes that he believed to contain cash, and his acknowledgement
    that the defensive meeting preceding the 2010 NFC Championship Game may have “got out of hand” with
    respect to Brett Favre, Coach Vitt claimed he never advised either Coach Payton or General Manager Mickey
    Loomis of the “pay-for-performance/bounty” program.
    10. When interviewed in 2012, Sean Payton claimed to be entirely unaware of the program, a claim
    contradicted by others. Further, prior to the Saints’ opening game in 2011, Coach Payton received an email
    from a close associate that stated in part, “PS Greg Williams put me down for $5000 on Rogers (sic).”
    When
    shown the email during the course of the investigation, Coach Payton stated that it referred to a “bounty” on
    Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

11. In early 2010, Mr. Loomis advised Coach Payton that the league office was investigating allegations
    concerning a bounty program. Coach Payton said that he met with his top two defensive assistants, Coach
    Williams and Coach Vitt, in advance of the interview with league investigators and told them, “Let’s make sure
    our ducks are in a row.”
    Remarkably, Coach Payton claimed that he never inquired of Coach Williams and
    Coach Vitt as to what happened in the interviews, never asked them if a “pay-for-performance” or bounty
    program was in fact in place, and never gave any instructions to discontinue such a program.
    Game, set, match. I think theres a better chance of pigs flying than suspensions being reduced.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I said in the other thread people would be surprised by the punishment handed down over this. Looks like a few people are.

I always thought this would be a mega-penalty. With much of his commish tenure being about player safety, anything less would be a major credibility hit.

I expected harsh, even beyond spygate-level punishment. The fines were similar, the loss of draft picks too, but the suspensions here were the big surprise and clearly define bountygate as far worse than spygate (though both pale in comparison to other transgressions such as the Broncos secret payments to Elway and Terrell Davis, which thankfully for them occurred before the hanging judge Goodell was in place or else their franchise would not exist).
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I expected harsh, even beyond spygate-level punishment. The fines were similar, the loss of draft picks too, but the suspensions here were the big surprise and clearly define bountygate as far worse than spygate (though both pale in comparison to other transgressions such as the Broncos secret payments to Elway and Terrell Davis, which thankfully for them occurred before the hanging judge Goodell was in place or else their franchise would not exist).
    The suspensions were probably more harsh due to the lawsuits of head injuries the NFL is facing.

Spygate didn't have former NFL players suing the league for millions and coaches giving ammunition to lawyers to a force a big settlement in favor of the players.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Roger Goodell does not like being lied to.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Jeezus, I think Saints fans are more pissed at Goodell than we were when Stern nuked our team on us.

The number one Google hit for Saints forum has imploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Jeezus, I think Saints fans are more pissed at Goodell than we were when Stern nuked our team on us.

The number one Google hit for Saints forum has imploded.
    Im not so sure about that:
    http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...-uncapped-year

Kind of expected harsh, but even this surprised me.

Its not over yet.... players still being reviewed.

The Super Bowl Host City curse is real ......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    hell hath no fury like a man with hair like a woman scorned

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

So the NotsoSaints lose a 2nd rounder and since the draft position rotation has us drafting 1st in the 3rd we essentially move up to the last pick in the 2nd round. (Meh, one player that wouldnt have been there WILL be there for teh Colts to pick from).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..