Thread: BBC: Vibrating tattoo alerts patent filed by Nokia in US

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default BBC: Vibrating tattoo alerts patent filed by Nokia in US

Vibrating tattoo alerts patent filed by Nokia in US

Vibrating magnetic tattoos may one day be used to alert mobile phone users to phone calls and text messages if Nokia follows up a patent application.

The Finnish company has described the idea in a filing to the US Patent and Trademark Office.

It describes tattooing, stamping or spraying "ferromagnetic" material onto a user's skin and then pairing it with a mobile device.

It suggests different vibrations could be used to create a range of alerts.

The application lists Cambridge-based Zoran Radivojevic as the innovation's lead inventor. It was filed last week and was brought to light by the Unwired View news site.

It suggests a magnetic marking could be attached to either a user's arm, abdominal area, finger or fingernail.

"Examples of... applications may be low battery indication, received message, received call, calendar alert, change of profile, eg based on timing, change of time zone, or any other," the filing reads.

"The magnetic field may cause vibration of one short pulse, multiple short pulses, few long pulses... strong pulses, weak pulses and so on."

The filing also suggests that the magnetised marking could be used as an identity check. It says that by picking a certain shape the user could create a "specific magnetic impedance" - effectively their own magnetic fingerprint.

It says this could act as a "password" and gives the example of a laptop refusing to display content on its screen unless it verifies its user is close by.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: BBC: Vibrating tattoo alerts patent filed by Nokia in US

Tech like this could be used to track people. Easily.

this sounds like something bad will happen because of it and its completely pointless.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

For this application (cell phone) it seems more than pointless, and in fact -stupid-. It does seem to open Pandora's box too. I'd have health questions as well as Big Brother ramifications to think about.

But that said, I can only hope and assume the reason they applied for the patent wasn't to actually see this technology come to fruition but instead to protect the idea and technology should someone come up with a more practical application.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that said, I can only hope and assume the reason they applied for the patent wasn't to actually see this technology come to fruition but instead to protect the idea and technology should someone come up with a more practical application.
    I would hope so. But even so, patent protection would only last a max of 17 years, and you have to have products using it heading to market in order to protect that patent. If you're just sitting on it with no intention of using it, like Kodak did with the digital camera, competitors can bring their own to market and they won't be able to show that they're defensing their patent.

Mood

Myself I don't like it. I'll stick to the regular tattoos.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this sounds like something bad will happen because of it and its completely pointless.
    Not sure where the real problem with this would lie ...... Nokia for coming up with this idea or the people that actually let it be done to them.