Thread: Simeon coach suspends 9 players (leaving shoes on court after game)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Simeon coach suspends 9 players (leaving shoes on court after game)

Perhaps I am just out of touch and messed up in the head (duh!) but I think this act was incredibly stupid. I honestly do not find the act clever, funny.......I just think its plain stupid....I dont really know how I feel about the punishment, seeing as the act was so stupid I am not sure it warrants any reaction besides a smack upside the head

Simeon coach suspends 9 players

Chicago's Simeon Career Academy coach Robert Smith on Monday suspended nine underclassmen for one game next season after they removed their shoes and placed them on the court following their third straight Class 4A state championship in Peoria, Ill.

After a 50-48 win over Proviso East in the state championship on Saturday, Simeon's players took off their shoes near half court, placed them side by side on the ground and walked away. The shoes were picked up by Illinois High School Association officials and moved elsewhere.

"They were trying to make a statement saying this was our court," Smith, who won a state-record fifth state title, said on Monday. "To take off the shoes was out of character. I don't think it was the time and place for that. We had already made our statement by winning three (state championships) in a row.

"There's just a way of going about doing things. I don't think that was the appropriate way. We have to make sure we're representing the CPS (Chicago Public Schools) and Simeon as best as we can."

Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose led the school to state titles in 2006 and 2007.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/i...ng-shoes-court

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Simeon coach suspends 9 players (leaving shoes on court after game)

They're lucky that's all they got. Our coach would have sent us back out of the locker room in our jocks to pick them up and apologize.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

This sounds more like a tip of the hat to the tradition of leaving of shoes on the mat to signify an end to a wrestling career (real wrestling, not WWE).

If the kids were trying to do that, signify the end of their HS career in the same basic way, then the suspensions seem like an overreaction. One of those things that probably sounded more like a good idea and show of team solidarity at the time than reality turned out for it to be.

OTOH....
    If it was some type of display to show they 'own the court' as the article stated then that is a bit disrespectful. But I wonder if the wrestling thing was the connection and it just didn't filter well through the team and to the coach as to exactly what they were trying to emulate???
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This sounds more like a tip of the hat to the tradition of leaving of shoes on the mat to signify an end to a wrestling career (real wrestling, not WWE).

If the kids were trying to do that, signify the end of their HS career in the same basic way, then the suspensions seem like an overreaction. One of those things that probably sounded more like a good idea and show of team solidarity at the time than reality turned out for it to be.

OTOH....
    If it was some type of display to show they 'own the court' as the article stated then that is a bit disrespectful. But I wonder if the wrestling thing was the connection and it just didn't filter well through the team and to the coach as to exactly what they were trying to emulate???
    I was thinking about the wrestling angle except the article states those suspended are "underclassmen" so it's not like it was the end of their basketball careers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Good catch.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Derrick Rose will never forget this.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca