Thread: Simeon coach suspends 9 players (leaving shoes on court after game)

Threaded View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Simeon coach suspends 9 players (leaving shoes on court after game)

Perhaps I am just out of touch and messed up in the head (duh!) but I think this act was incredibly stupid. I honestly do not find the act clever, funny.......I just think its plain stupid....I dont really know how I feel about the punishment, seeing as the act was so stupid I am not sure it warrants any reaction besides a smack upside the head

Simeon coach suspends 9 players

Chicago's Simeon Career Academy coach Robert Smith on Monday suspended nine underclassmen for one game next season after they removed their shoes and placed them on the court following their third straight Class 4A state championship in Peoria, Ill.

After a 50-48 win over Proviso East in the state championship on Saturday, Simeon's players took off their shoes near half court, placed them side by side on the ground and walked away. The shoes were picked up by Illinois High School Association officials and moved elsewhere.

"They were trying to make a statement saying this was our court," Smith, who won a state-record fifth state title, said on Monday. "To take off the shoes was out of character. I don't think it was the time and place for that. We had already made our statement by winning three (state championships) in a row.

"There's just a way of going about doing things. I don't think that was the appropriate way. We have to make sure we're representing the CPS (Chicago Public Schools) and Simeon as best as we can."

Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose led the school to state titles in 2006 and 2007.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/i...ng-shoes-court

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post: