Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Is it Stanko time?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,270

    Default Is it Stanko time?

    With Foster retiring I have little doubt that Bird will bring in another big man. Either we’ll pick up a player by tomorrow off waivers or we’ll bring in a D league player or someone like Solo.
    I was thinking about Stanko and that it might be time to bring him over. I have no idea how difficult this would be and when he might be available but since he’s hasn’t been on a roster this season he could be added at any time and still be available for the playoffs.
    The disadvantage to this would be that he’d likely have to signed to a multiyear deal and in which case it would lower our available cap space next summer versus bringing in someone like Okur or Diaw.
    Would anyone knowledgeable of the process it would take to bring over Stanko at this time have some input on this?

  2. #2
    Grow some nuts Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,744

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Stanko still has a handful of games left in his regular season plus the playoffs. He's not coming over this year.

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,286
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    With his team in the playoff hunt, bit this season. Next season, yes, if we don't get Macklin


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  5. #4
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,824

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    If it were that easy, yes. The problem is that it is not that easy. I wish we could make something out of Stanko.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    I love the Stankster as much as anyone, but he doesn't even start most nights for Anadolu Efes. There's no way he'll ever make it in the NBA.

  7. #6
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,708

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the Stankster as much as anyone, but he doesn't even start most nights for Anadolu Efes. There's no way he'll ever make it in the NBA.
    He doesn't start but he finishes most games.

    There's a reason that he doesn't start. The reason is Esteban Batista. As unconventional as he is if he gets into a roll you'll gonna bleed to stop him.

    However, on most nights Batista does not get into a roll and Stanko finishes the game. He'll make it in the NBA as an older Nikola Vučević.

  8. #7

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't start but he finishes most games.

    There's a reason that he doesn't start. The reason is Esteban Batista. As unconventional as he is if he gets into a roll you'll gonna bleed to stop him.

    However, on most nights Batista does not get into a roll and Stanko finishes the game. He'll make it in the NBA as an older Nikola Vučević.
    Unfortunately all I'm taking away from this is the fact that he can't start over Esteban Batista who was a complete washout in the NBA. Sorry...

  9. #8

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    First of all, it's always Stanko time.

    I don't ever see him coming over.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

  10. #9
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,708

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately all I'm taking away from this is the fact that he can't start over Esteban Batista who was a complete washout in the NBA. Sorry...
    European basketball is different than the NBA. Stanko is ahead of Batista in the Depth chart actually according to the team's Wikipedia page (yeah, I know).

    Actually, if you look at Anadolu's Euroleague page Stanko plays 20 MPG and Esteban plays 15 MPG. So, no matter who starts Stanko still plays more.

  11. #10
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,945

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    I'm not an expert on European basketball, but aren't there some unwritten rules in regards to older and more established players starting games even if younger, better players are on the roster? (I know this isn't 100% correct but I remember reading something similar to this before)

  12. #11
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,512
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    I always find it funny during the NBA draft when the foreign players get drafted and they show their stats from overseas, a lot of them play hardly any minutes, even the lottery picks...

  13. #12
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,708

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not an expert on European basketball, but aren't there some unwritten rules in regards to older and more established players starting games even if younger, better players are on the roster? (I know this isn't 100% correct but I remember reading something similar to this before)
    European teams do prefer the more established players because they have more experience. European basketball is heavily focused on set offence and most games go down the wire and the most experienced player will yield better results most of the time.

    Also, more established players will get better calls from the officials.

  14. #13
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,836

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Stanko is what Lorbak was, tradable asset.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. #14
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,708

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stanko is what Lorbak was, tradable asset.
    Very probable. That said, it wouldn't be a crime to bring one of our almost 7 footers Euros here

  16. #15
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,978
    Mood

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    This thread is just a blatant and non-ironic attempt to get StankoLover to post again.

    I wholeheartedly approve.

  17. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always find it funny during the NBA draft when the foreign players get drafted and they show their stats from overseas, a lot of them play hardly any minutes, even the lottery picks...
    That is because regardless of skill in Europe the minutes aren't decided that way. The most you ever see a great player play is around 25 minutes. The games are only 40 minutes and they use the bench much more than the NBA and college ball. The rules make the sport much tougher to score over there and the culture makes the leagues so very different.



    In college a Thomas Robinson or what not normally plays almost the whole game. Judging European players off stats you just cant do. I mean Pekovic was by far the best C in Europe for some time and he was dominate on both ends and the most he ever averaged was 16-7.


    Sabonis was the rare guy who really showed what he could do in Europue and put up better numbers in Europue than he did in the NBA. But Sabonis was the GOAT and he had special treatment because he was just so damn good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stanko is what Lorbak was, tradable asset.

    It shouldn't be that way the Pacers need to become a hot bed for European players. I hope we dont just wast that part of the world there is far too much talent for us to not take advantage of it. We are at a serve disadvantage if we let all the European talent go to the Spurs, Chicago and the other NBA teams without even considering them.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  19. #17
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,708

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is because regardless of skill in Europe the minutes aren't decided that way. The most you ever see a great player play is around 25 minutes. The games are only 40 minutes and they use the bench much more than the NBA and college ball. The rules make the sport much tougher to score over there and the culture makes the leagues so very different.



    In college a Thomas Robinson or what not normally plays almost the whole game. Judging European players off stats you just cant do. I mean Pekovic was by far the best C in Europe for some time and he was dominate on both ends and the most he ever averaged was 16-7.


    Sabonis was the rare guy who really showed what he could do in Europue and put up better numbers in Europue than he did in the NBA. But Sabonis was the GOAT and he had special treatment because he was just so damn good.





    It shouldn't be that way the Pacers need to become a hot bed for European players. I hope we dont just wast that part of the world there is far too much talent for us to not take advantage of it. We are at a serve disadvantage if we let all the European talent go to the Spurs, Chicago and the other NBA teams without even considering them.
    Seriously, this man should be our next GM if Larry decides to leave

  20. #18
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Just wondering how many people have seen him play?

    Just watched some videos, Big, not athletic, strong, can dribble some for a big, needs to work on his footwork.

    Am I seeing something other than you guys, or is there something else I am missing about his game?
    Why so SERIOUS

  21. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering how many people have seen him play?

    Just watched some videos, Big, not athletic, strong, can dribble some for a big, needs to work on his footwork.

    Am I seeing something other than you guys, or is there something else I am missing about his game?
    I have never seen him play I am just speaking in general. Lorbak for example could of played in this league IMO(I have watched him quite a bit) but we dont have a good rep. We need to get where the Euros want to come over and play for the Pacers not want to get traded to the Spurs. Lorbak is going to be a nice player for the Spurs next year a little bit better in the post version of Matt Bonner. For the aging Spurs he is really going to help as a 15-20mpg rotation big next year if he decides to come over. He will help limit Duncan's minutes and keep him fresh for the playoffs.

  22. #20
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have never seen him play I am just speaking in general. Lorbak for example could of played in this league IMO(I have watched him quite a bit) but we dont have a good rep. We need to get where the Euros want to come over and play for the Pacers not want to get traded to the Spurs. Lorbak is going to be a nice player for the Spurs next year a little bit better in the post version of Matt Bonner. For the aging Spurs he is really going to help as a 15-20mpg rotation big next year if he decides to come over. He will help limit Duncan's minutes and keep him fresh for the playoffs.
    Cool yeah I was just wondering about the guy, I have heard his name pushed around this website at times, and I have never really looked into him much until checking out some videos earlier today, but I see the point you are making, we are basically putting a cap on which players we can attract, and that cap specifically does not really include us going after foreign players, and by closing that gateway we can really be limiting ourselves which sucks....
    Why so SERIOUS

  23. #21

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering how many people have seen him play?

    Just watched some videos, Big, not athletic, strong, can dribble some for a big, needs to work on his footwork.

    Am I seeing something other than you guys, or is there something else I am missing about his game?
    Did you watch this video of him playing against NBA teams? He looks solid to me. Good offensive skills. I'm expecting him to come over for next season and play backup center. He may never be a star but I think he'll do fine as a backup.

    the video (originally from Pacers.com?)

  24. #22

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cool yeah I was just wondering about the guy, I have heard his name pushed around this website at times, and I have never really looked into him much until checking out some videos earlier today, but I see the point you are making, we are basically putting a cap on which players we can attract, and that cap specifically does not really include us going after foreign players, and by closing that gateway we can really be limiting ourselves which sucks....
    I don't get this. The Pacers have scouts in Europe. We drafted Stanko and Lorbak. Smits was pretty good. We brought in Cabbages. Fesenko. Almost ****a. Primoz. Peja. Now we have a Brazialian in Blur.

    There's no anti-foreign sentiment in the Pacers front office.

    It seems like half the forum gets mad when we draft a foreigner in the 2nd round. The other half gets mad when we don't.

  25. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get this. The Pacers have scouts in Europe. We drafted Stanko and Lorbak. Smits was pretty good. We brought in Cabbages. Fesenko. Almost ****a. Primoz. Peja. Now we have a Brazialian in Blur.

    There's no anti-foreign sentiment in the Pacers front office.

    It seems like half the forum gets mad when we draft a foreigner in the 2nd round. The other half gets mad when we don't.
    I just don't like hearing Lorbak wouldn't come over because the Pacers drafted him(and will likely come over because he was traded to the Spurs). I just want draftees to be excited the Pacers drafted them and want to come over. It probably isn't even the FO's fault I mean Bird seemed confident that Stanko would come over next year. I just think when a team like the Spurs can get their guys to come over and be successful players it makes others want to play in the Spurs organization.

    We could of used Stanko this year so I am pretty concerned he may never come over. It may not be a big loss but if we could get Stanko to come over and he is successful that could be huge for us in the future in luring players from over seas.

    Peja and Blur were already in the NBA and we traded for them they had to come. I am talking about people we draft like Stanko and Lorbak and many potential in the future.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.

  26. #24
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you watch this video of him playing against NBA teams? He looks solid to me. Good offensive skills. I'm expecting him to come over for next season and play backup center. He may never be a star but I think he'll do fine as a backup.

    the video (originally from Pacers.com?)
    Yeah not saying that he is bad, just wanted to see if there was more to him than what I saw, I definitively think he could play here, but he does have some weaknesses.

    One thing with the highlight videos they often don't show any of the negative stuff just positive, but either way, him coming over at some point would be decent for the Pacers.
    Why so SERIOUS

  27. #25
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,230
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get this. The Pacers have scouts in Europe. We drafted Stanko and Lorbak. Smits was pretty good. We brought in Cabbages. Fesenko. Almost ****a. Primoz. Peja. Now we have a Brazialian in Blur.

    There's no anti-foreign sentiment in the Pacers front office.

    It seems like half the forum gets mad when we draft a foreigner in the 2nd round. The other half gets mad when we don't.
    Two things, I am thinking about players not already having NBA experience, and then players who were draft picks specifically 2nd round guys who were to play in Europe still and then come over later.

    Smits was the 2nd overall pick so I think it was pretty much destine he would come no matter what.

    Primoz, Cabbages are really the only 2 I can think of that fit that criteria, but true we have taken on foreign players, my perception is that we are not one of the top teams as far as percentage of the guys we draft coming over, but I definitely have not looked at any statistics so I am just stating my uneducated opinion.
    Why so SERIOUS

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. I guess Dyrek will let Larry know.
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 01:26 AM
  2. Sam Smith> Time Bomb Explodes
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 01:42 PM
  3. Indystar article: Pacers say time for fun is done
    By Mourning in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 11:53 AM
  4. If Game 7 is Needed Espn is saying 1pm Game Time Thursday
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 07:18 AM
  5. Extensive game 3 coverage from the Boston Globe.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •