Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Stanko time?

Default Is it Stanko time?

With Foster retiring I have little doubt that Bird will bring in another big man. Either we’ll pick up a player by tomorrow off waivers or we’ll bring in a D league player or someone like Solo.
    I was thinking about Stanko and that it might be time to bring him over. I have no idea how difficult this would be and when he might be available but since he’s hasn’t been on a roster this season he could be added at any time and still be available for the playoffs.
    The disadvantage to this would be that he’d likely have to signed to a multiyear deal and in which case it would lower our available cap space next summer versus bringing in someone like Okur or Diaw.
    Would anyone knowledgeable of the process it would take to bring over Stanko at this time have some input on this?

Sports Logo

Default Re: Is it Stanko time?

Stanko still has a handful of games left in his regular season plus the playoffs. He's not coming over this year.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With his team in the playoff hunt, bit this season. Next season, yes, if we don't get Macklin

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

If it were that easy, yes. The problem is that it is not that easy. I wish we could make something out of Stanko.

I love the Stankster as much as anyone, but he doesn't even start most nights for Anadolu Efes. There's no way he'll ever make it in the NBA.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the Stankster as much as anyone, but he doesn't even start most nights for Anadolu Efes. There's no way he'll ever make it in the NBA.
    He doesn't start but he finishes most games.

There's a reason that he doesn't start. The reason is Esteban Batista. As unconventional as he is if he gets into a roll you'll gonna bleed to stop him.

However, on most nights Batista does not get into a roll and Stanko finishes the game. He'll make it in the NBA as an older Nikola Vučević.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    He doesn't start but he finishes most games.

There's a reason that he doesn't start. The reason is Esteban Batista. As unconventional as he is if he gets into a roll you'll gonna bleed to stop him.

However, on most nights Batista does not get into a roll and Stanko finishes the game. He'll make it in the NBA as an older Nikola Vučević.
    Unfortunately all I'm taking away from this is the fact that he can't start over Esteban Batista who was a complete washout in the NBA. Sorry...

First of all, it's always Stanko time.

I don't ever see him coming over.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Unfortunately all I'm taking away from this is the fact that he can't start over Esteban Batista who was a complete washout in the NBA. Sorry...
    European basketball is different than the NBA. Stanko is ahead of Batista in the Depth chart actually according to the team's Wikipedia page (yeah, I know).

Actually, if you look at Anadolu's Euroleague page Stanko plays 20 MPG and Esteban plays 15 MPG. So, no matter who starts Stanko still plays more.

I'm not an expert on European basketball, but aren't there some unwritten rules in regards to older and more established players starting games even if younger, better players are on the roster? (I know this isn't 100% correct but I remember reading something similar to this before)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I always find it funny during the NBA draft when the foreign players get drafted and they show their stats from overseas, a lot of them play hardly any minutes, even the lottery picks...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I'm not an expert on European basketball, but aren't there some unwritten rules in regards to older and more established players starting games even if younger, better players are on the roster? (I know this isn't 100% correct but I remember reading something similar to this before)
    European teams do prefer the more established players because they have more experience. European basketball is heavily focused on set offence and most games go down the wire and the most experienced player will yield better results most of the time.

Also, more established players will get better calls from the officials.

Stanko is what Lorbak was, tradable asset.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Very probable. That said, it wouldn't be a crime to bring one of our almost 7 footers Euros here

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This thread is just a blatant and non-ironic attempt to get StankoLover to post again.

I wholeheartedly approve.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    I always find it funny during the NBA draft when the foreign players get drafted and they show their stats from overseas, a lot of them play hardly any minutes, even the lottery picks...
    That is because regardless of skill in Europe the minutes aren't decided that way. The most you ever see a great player play is around 25 minutes. The games are only 40 minutes and they use the bench much more than the NBA and college ball. The rules make the sport much tougher to score over there and the culture makes the leagues so very different.

In college a Thomas Robinson or what not normally plays almost the whole game. Judging European players off stats you just cant do. I mean Pekovic was by far the best C in Europe for some time and he was dominate on both ends and the most he ever averaged was 16-7.

Sabonis was the rare guy who really showed what he could do in Europue and put up better numbers in Europue than he did in the NBA. But Sabonis was the GOAT and he had special treatment because he was just so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

It shouldn't be that way the Pacers need to become a hot bed for European players. I hope we dont just wast that part of the world there is far too much talent for us to not take advantage of it. We are at a serve disadvantage if we let all the European talent go to the Spurs, Chicago and the other NBA teams without even considering them.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    That is because regardless of skill in Europe the minutes aren't decided that way. The most you ever see a great player play is around 25 minutes. The games are only 40 minutes and they use the bench much more than the NBA and college ball. The rules make the sport much tougher to score over there and the culture makes the leagues so very different.

In college a Thomas Robinson or what not normally plays almost the whole game. Judging European players off stats you just cant do. I mean Pekovic was by far the best C in Europe for some time and he was dominate on both ends and the most he ever averaged was 16-7.

Sabonis was the rare guy who really showed what he could do in Europue and put up better numbers in Europue than he did in the NBA. But Sabonis was the GOAT and he had special treatment because he was just so damn good.

It shouldn't be that way the Pacers need to become a hot bed for European players. I hope we dont just wast that part of the world there is far too much talent for us to not take advantage of it. We are at a serve disadvantage if we let all the European talent go to the Spurs, Chicago and the other NBA teams without even considering them.
    Seriously, this man should be our next GM if Larry decides to leave

Mood

Just wondering how many people have seen him play?

Just watched some videos, Big, not athletic, strong, can dribble some for a big, needs to work on his footwork.

Am I seeing something other than you guys, or is there something else I am missing about his game?
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post

Just watched some videos, Big, not athletic, strong, can dribble some for a big, needs to work on his footwork.

Am I seeing something other than you guys, or is there something else I am missing about his game?
    I have never seen him play I am just speaking in general. Lorbak for example could of played in this league IMO(I have watched him quite a bit) but we dont have a good rep. We need to get where the Euros want to come over and play for the Pacers not want to get traded to the Spurs. Lorbak is going to be a nice player for the Spurs next year a little bit better in the post version of Matt Bonner. For the aging Spurs he is really going to help as a 15-20mpg rotation big next year if he decides to come over. He will help limit Duncan's minutes and keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I have never seen him play I am just speaking in general. Lorbak for example could of played in this league IMO(I have watched him quite a bit) but we dont have a good rep. We need to get where the Euros want to come over and play for the Pacers not want to get traded to the Spurs. Lorbak is going to be a nice player for the Spurs next year a little bit better in the post version of Matt Bonner. For the aging Spurs he is really going to help as a 15-20mpg rotation big next year if he decides to come over. He will help limit Duncan's minutes and keep him fresh for the playoffs.
    Cool yeah I was just wondering about the guy, I have heard his name pushed around this website at times, and I have never really looked into him much until checking out some videos earlier today, but I see the point you are making, we are basically putting a cap on which players we can attract, and that cap specifically does not really include us going after foreign players, and by closing that gateway we can really be limiting ourselves which sucks....
    Why so SERIOUS

Did you watch this video of him playing against NBA teams? He looks solid to me. Good offensive skills. I'm expecting him to come over for next season and play backup center. He may never be a star but I think he'll do fine as a backup.

the video (originally from Pacers.com?)

Cool yeah I was just wondering about the guy, I have heard his name pushed around this website at times, and I have never really looked into him much until checking out some videos earlier today, but I see the point you are making, we are basically putting a cap on which players we can attract, and that cap specifically does not really include us going after foreign players, and by closing that gateway we can really be limiting ourselves which sucks....
    I don't get this. The Pacers have scouts in Europe. We drafted Stanko and Lorbak. Smits was pretty good. We brought in Cabbages. Fesenko. Almost ****a. Primoz. Peja. Now we have a Brazialian in Blur.

There's no anti-foreign sentiment in the Pacers front office.

It seems like half the forum gets mad when we draft a foreigner in the 2nd round. The other half gets mad when we don't.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I don't get this. The Pacers have scouts in Europe. We drafted Stanko and Lorbak. Smits was pretty good. We brought in Cabbages. Fesenko. Almost ****a. Primoz. Peja. Now we have a Brazialian in Blur.

It seems like half the forum gets mad when we draft a foreigner in the 2nd round. The other half gets mad when we don't.
    I just don't like hearing Lorbak wouldn't come over because the Pacers drafted him(and will likely come over because he was traded to the Spurs). I just want draftees to be excited the Pacers drafted them and want to come over. It probably isn't even the FO's fault I mean Bird seemed confident that Stanko would come over next year. I just think when a team like the Spurs can get their guys to come over and be successful players it makes others want to play in the Spurs organization.

We could of used Stanko this year so I am pretty concerned he may never come over. It may not be a big loss but if we could get Stanko to come over and he is successful that could be huge for us in the future in luring players from over seas.

Peja and Blur were already in the NBA and we traded for them they had to come. I am talking about people we draft like Stanko and Lorbak and many potential in the future.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Mood

Did you watch this video of him playing against NBA teams? He looks solid to me. Good offensive skills. I'm expecting him to come over for next season and play backup center. He may never be a star but I think he'll do fine as a backup.

the video (originally from Pacers.com?)
    Yeah not saying that he is bad, just wanted to see if there was more to him than what I saw, I definitively think he could play here, but he does have some weaknesses.

One thing with the highlight videos they often don't show any of the negative stuff just positive, but either way, him coming over at some point would be decent for the Pacers.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Two things, I am thinking about players not already having NBA experience, and then players who were draft picks specifically 2nd round guys who were to play in Europe still and then come over later.

Smits was the 2nd overall pick so I think it was pretty much destine he would come no matter what.

Primoz, Cabbages are really the only 2 I can think of that fit that criteria, but true we have taken on foreign players, my perception is that we are not one of the top teams as far as percentage of the guys we draft coming over, but I definitely have not looked at any statistics so I am just stating my uneducated opinion.
    Why so SERIOUS

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post: