Thread: Colts sign Zbikowski

Default Colts sign Zbikowski

Mar. 16, 2012 3:20 p.m. - by Jason Butt

Indianapolis snatched another former Ravens player by signing S Tom Zbikowski , the Chicago Tribune reported. Zbikowski began 2011 as a starter before relinquishing his role to S Bernard Pollard. Zbikowski reunites with former Ravens DE Cory Redding and Colts coach Chuck Pagano, who was Baltimore's DC in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/17842841

He will probably have a lot of hometown support.
    DG for 3

Default Re: Colts sign Zbikowski

I was just about to post this.

I like what the Colts have done. They have not signed any flashy names but they are guys who should be an upgrade for the short term.

Mood

You gotta love this signing. Any other Ravens defense want to come this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just about to post this.

I like what the Colts have done. They have not signed any flashy names but they are guys who should be an upgrade for the short term.
    I have seen this before and it concerns me that our new coach and GM like former players on their respective teams rather than going after players from other teams. I would have more confidence that they are good if they came from other players. These new guys are just short term remedies for a severely depleted Colt team and won't be around more than a couple of years.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Meh. Wonder if he's going to return kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I have seen this before and it concerns me that our new coach and GM like former players on their respective teams rather than going after players from other teams. I would have more confidence that they are good if they came from other players. These new guys are just short term remedies for a severely depleted Colt team and won't be around more than a couple of years.
    What's wrong with that approach? There is no real cap space for marquee acquisitions. Someone has to teach young players the new system. Vets who know the coach's system simply make sense.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

the rebuild is not going to be instant. it's going to take a couple of bad years before this team is a contender again.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frostwolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Meh. Wonder if he's going to return kicks.
    Nay. He will be a valuable backup safety though and a special teams guy. What I remember of Tom he is good against the run but bad against the pass.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As my friend Lee Corso Says, "Not SO Fast My Friend", his agent is saying that he has not signed any contract, and until he does he is not on any team.

And I am pretty sure if he does come to the Colts he will not be a back up safety, he started some in Baltimore. I do not think Caldwell will be starting next year.

As far as returning kicks, I have no idea, but I wish that we would bring back Devin Moore, but with the new management I doubt that will happen.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    What's wrong with that approach? There is no real cap space for marquee acquisitions. Someone has to teach young players the new system. Vets who know the coach's system simply make sense.
    These guys are no better than similar role players on 28 other teams and are not going to leaders or teachers on the team.

They may also not be the best role players we could sign but our GM and new coach are most familiar with them. That's great but don't we have scouting personnel to find these types of guys? I've seen this approach before in other sports and it's not productive mostly because their former teams didn't try to keep them.
    Last edited by speakout4; 03-17-2012 at 09:58 AM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    As my friend Lee Corso Says, "Not SO Fast My Friend", his agent is saying that he has not signed any contract, and until he does he is not on any team.

And I am pretty sure if he does come to the Colts he will not be a back up safety, he started some in Baltimore. I do not think Caldwell will be starting next year.

As far as returning kicks, I have no idea, but I wish that we would bring back Devin Moore, but with the new management I doubt that will happen.
    His agent confirmed it now, 3 year deal

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

These guys are no better than similar role players on 28 other teams and are not going to leaders or teachers on the team.

They may also not be the best role players we could sign but our GM and new coach are most familiar with them. That's great but don't we have scouting personnel to find these types of guys? I've seen this approach before in other sports and it's not productive mostly because their former teams didn't try to keep them.
    I read a article that showed Polian did a lot of these moves when he first started as well.

I think a lot of it is to do with trying to make the transition easier, by having players that have already been in the system.

Also with Grigson being a GM, he has either scouted these guys or been a part of it before, he may have saw something in them where he thought they would be decent pieces in a rebuilding situation. There is no need to rebuild the wheel, if you feel someone is good enough for your system at the time then go grab them cheap.

They are not all long term guys, but with the situation that we are in. I still believe that we will be scouting other guys, but why not add these guys, their contracts are low and still give us shots at getting some more expensive free agents.
    Why so SERIOUS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Who are these better similarly priced free agents that fit the system, then?

And I simply think you're incorrect about these guys not being able to help with the transition. At the very least, they know the terminology.

Young players develop better in a stable, if not always successful, environment. That seems to be what they're trying to create.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

Mood

I just heard his contract is something like 3 yr 5.5million, not sure, if that is just the guaranteed money or everything, but still pretty cheap, good move with little cap.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    That's really surprising.

I had no idea Corso had any friends.

It's official. I'm pretty happy about this one. We're not expected to do a whole lot this year so at least I can watch one of my favorites from the Irish play. Oh yeah, Gonzo is now a cheater.
    A football team can't have too many hitters, and the Indianapolis Colts picked up a two-fisted one Saturday. Free agent safety Tom Zbikowski, a boxer on the side, signed a three-year contract. Terms were not available.
    Gonzalez to Pats
    Wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the former Colts first-round draft pick, signed with the Patriots as a free agent Saturday, New England announced.

He caught 94 passes for 1,240 yards and seven touchdowns over his first two seasons but was limited to 11 games and five receptions by injuries the past three years.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...IndyStar.com|s

Mood

I LOVE Zbikowski. Loved him at Notre Dame, love the toughness he'll bring.