Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

  1. #1
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,301
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    No way they get that title. He's a Colt for Life and that's all there is to it.

    Besides, there has GOT to be something "illegal" about that kind of contract.

    http://news.yahoo.com/this-campaign-...ynecology.html

    Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams has been going hard at Peyton Manning ever since the quarterback became a free agent, and it seems that Adams may have come up with an interesting way to sweeten the pot. Adams' intent to make Manning a fixture of the Titans franchise "for life" may actually be a novel way to give Manning certain advantages he may not receive from other teams.

    According to Fox Sports' Alex Marvez, the Titans could offer Manning, who spent a large part of Wednesday meeting with team officials and coaches, the promise of a front-office position after his career is over, without any financial promise affecting the Titans' salary cap situation over the life of any deal covering Manning's football-playing days. Marvez reports that the promise of a front-office position would not promote any kind of cap hit, but that the position offered must be considered fair market value for the position.

    In other words, if the Titans decided to put a similar offer on the table to those presented by other teams, and then chose to add some sort of seven-figure-per-year deal for a nebulous position later on, there's nothing to prevent that from happening.

    [ Dan Wetzel: Bills get aggressive with Mario Williams ]

    As Marvez hypothesizes, this could set a very interesting precedent for other teams looking to beat their competitors out for elite free agents. The league would have to approve any contract, including one offering additional positions after on-field duty, but even if the NFL's Management Council approves the deal ahead of time, it doesn't mean that the Titans are entirely off the hook.

    As was recently seen in the Management Council's decision to strip millions of dollars in salary cap space from the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, alleged offenses on contracts that were approved by the league can fall outside the purview of the CBA if the NFL chooses to backtrack and deem certain deals to be outside the lines.


    Marvez recalled a situation in 2000, when the San Francisco 49ers were fined $300,000 and stripped of third- and fifth-round draft picks after offering two players (including tight end Brent Jones) contract work in the offseason to promote the team's campaign to get a new stadium. So, Adams had best be careful -- even if his gambit seems legal at this time, it's not out of the question for the other owners to decide otherwise.

    The Titans are one of four teams seriously in the hunt for Manning's services -- they're in competition with the Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins.

    Serious question....you recon UT would want PM in their backyard drawing fans attention or would his presence be a benefit to them in the recruiting wars?
    Last edited by indygeezer; 03-16-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Well, he isn't a Colt for life because they let him go.. Why not Tennessee for life? A front office job or owning a part of the team might appeal to Peyton when he is done four or five years from now. Wouldn't it be something if he went into the Hall of Fame as a Titan instead of a Colt? He doesn't owe Indy a damn thing and they owe him a lot. Yes, he was highly paid while here and he earned that and more. If he is going to be a part owner of the Titans and work in the front office, why not represent that team in the Hall of Fame? I sure wouldn't blame him.......

  3. #3
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,824

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he isn't a Colt for life because they let him go.. Why not Tennessee for life? A front office job or owning a part of the team might appeal to Peyton when he is done four or five years from now. Wouldn't it be something if he went into the Hall of Fame as a Titan instead of a Colt? He doesn't owe Indy a damn thing and they owe him a lot. Yes, he was highly paid while here and he earned that and more. If he is going to be a part owner of the Titans and work in the front office, why not represent that team in the Hall of Fame? I sure wouldn't blame him.......

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Serious question....you recon UT would want PM in their backyard drawing fans attention or would his presence be a benefit to them in the recruiting wars?
    Increasing NFL popularity doesn't seem to negatively affect college football. If anything, they seem to feed off of each other.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    The Titans can go **** themselves.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,421

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    I know Bud was there with Moses, but he's got to be careful with this lifetime thing. If part of the issue with Bountygate is that it was way around the salary cap, you KNOW the NFL will be watching this very carefully.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  10. #7

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    I read somewhere that it cannot be a lifetime contract. There can be a player contract, and a separate non-player contract, with pay appropriate to the non-playing position.

    That bolded part is important, since non-playing positions are not part of the salary cap, so there is the potential for abuse, like "Take 5 million instead of 15 million per year as a player, then we will give you more to make up for it after you retire and serve as an 'advisor' with a huge salary and nothing much to do."
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    As a Texans fan, I find this absolutely halarious for both sides!

  13. #9

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Titans can go **** themselves.
    With a rusty pitchfork.

  14. #10
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    What disgusts me is that this is exactly what the Colts needed to work out with him. And, he would have been absolutely fan-friggin-tastic at it in every single aspect of it.

    Great for the Pacers that it didn't go this way, but Irsay made a huge blunder in not keeping him a Colt for life. In the long term it may even cost Irsay the franchise, where the other way would have saved it.

  15. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What disgusts me is that this is exactly what the Colts needed to work out with him. And, he would have been absolutely fan-friggin-tastic at it in every single aspect of it.

    Great for the Pacers that it didn't go this way, but Irsay made a huge blunder in not keeping him a Colt for life. In the long term it may even cost Irsay the franchise, where the other way would have saved it.
    How can it cost him the franchise? He pocketed a ton of money letting Peyton go along with the other stars.....

  16. #12
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Who really cares?

    Peyton Manning in the front office isn't going to matter squat for anyone. It's not going to win games. I mean seriously, by this logic the Charlotte Bobcats should sell out every game and win championships. I mean, they have Michael Jordan in their front office, right?

    Except .... nobody cares.

  17. #13
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who really cares?

    Peyton Manning in the front office isn't going to matter squat for anyone. It's not going to win games. I mean seriously, by this logic the Charlotte Bobcats should sell out every game and win championships. I mean, they have Michael Jordan in their front office, right?

    Except .... nobody cares.
    Peyton will be one hell of an offensive coordinator.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

  18. #14
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton will be one hell of an offensive coordinator.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Except that he probably won't be one. Or a head coach. No idea where anyone gets that he wants to do these things.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a Texans fan, I find this absolutely halarious for both sides!
    I find it hilarious that you are a Texans fan. Your franchise is a joke. Congrats on backing into the playoffs in year TEN of existence because Manning got injured.

  21. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that he probably won't be one. Or a head coach. No idea where anyone gets that he wants to do these things.
    I think he will do something in football. He loves the game and he has a very sharp mind for it. He might take the front office route too. I know if I were a team owner and he was available, I would want him in the situation of his choosing....

  22. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it hilarious that you are a Texans fan. Your franchise is a joke. Congrats on backing into the playoffs in year TEN of existence because Manning got injured.
    Their franchise is not a joke. It has been well constructed. They have good coaching and good players. They will dominate the South for years just like the Colts did. Two wins a year against the Colts for the next four or five years and probably the same with Jacksonville. They split with Tennessee and there are five wins right there.........

  23. #18
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it hilarious that you are a Texans fan. Your franchise is a joke. Congrats on backing into the playoffs in year TEN of existence because Manning got injured.
    Even if Peyton was healthy we still would have won the division. People need to realize that even tho Peyton was a big reason why you guys sucked last year, the overall team just wasn't as good as years past. Also, you do realize that your team only made it to the playoffs once in the first 10 years in Indy, don't you? So your insult is absolutely asinine! As Olblu said I be sure to enjoy the Texans dominating the division the next 5 years...

  24. #19
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    28
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it hilarious that you are a Texans fan. Your franchise is a joke. Congrats on backing into the playoffs in year TEN of existence because Manning got injured.
    As a Colts fan and a fan of the NFL in general, I'm laughing so hard that I'm almost in tears. If you seriously think the Texans are a joke at this point, you really need to get your brain checked. They have a very solid defense, great offensive line, great running, good all-round QB play, and an amazing reciever to go along with good coaching
    .-


  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,972

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their franchise is not a joke. It has been well constructed. They have good coaching and good players. They will dominate the South for years just like the Colts did. Two wins a year against the Colts for the next four or five years and probably the same with Jacksonville. They split with Tennessee and there are five wins right there.........


    They will definitely win the division next year, but there's no way I'm penciling them in to win the South for the next 4-5 years. So much can happen.

    Next year the Colts will have a TON of cap room and most likely another high draft pick. If Luck is as good as advertised then we will have the opportunity to build a quality team relatively quickly. Everything depends on how good he is and how smart our new management team is.

    I think the Colts can contend for the South title in 2014. The Colts went 3-13 in Manning's rookie year and 13-3 the next season because of Manning's quick improvement and the addition of James. Now I'm not saying that we will win 13 games in Luck's second year, but if we draft well and sign some quality guys then we could see a quick improvement. I think the Colts will have a strong team by Luck's third year.

  27. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They will definitely win the division next year, but there's no way I'm penciling them in to win the South for the next 4-5 years. So much can happen.

    Next year the Colts will have a TON of cap room and most likely another high draft pick. If Luck is as good as advertised then we will have the opportunity to build a quality team relatively quickly. Everything depends on how good he is and how smart our new management team is.

    I think the Colts can contend for the South title in 2014. The Colts went 3-13 in Manning's rookie year and 13-3 the next season because of Manning's quick improvement and the addition of James. Now I'm not saying that we will win 13 games in Luck's second year, but if we draft well and sign some quality guys then we could see a quick improvement. I think the Colts will have a strong team by Luck's third year.
    You are a dreamer. The Colts will be lucky to get to .500 by 2017. Meanwhile, Houston will win this division every year. I don't think you understand how bad the Colts will be. This next year, they may not win any games. They will also be the favorite for the number one draft choice the next year too. I think they will be very lucky to win 6 games in the next three years combined..... Houston will win 34 to 36 during that time........

  28. #22
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,595

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They will definitely win the division next year, but there's no way I'm penciling them in to win the South for the next 4-5 years. So much can happen.

    Next year the Colts will have a TON of cap room and most likely another high draft pick. If Luck is as good as advertised then we will have the opportunity to build a quality team relatively quickly. Everything depends on how good he is and how smart our new management team is.

    I think the Colts can contend for the South title in 2014. The Colts went 3-13 in Manning's rookie year and 13-3 the next season because of Manning's quick improvement and the addition of James. Now I'm not saying that we will win 13 games in Luck's second year, but if we draft well and sign some quality guys then we could see a quick improvement. I think the Colts will have a strong team by Luck's third year.
    You are wrong, the Colts are the worst team ever. The Colts will win 3 games in the next 5 years combined........ -OlLordHelmet
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:


  30. #23
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are a dreamer. The Colts will be lucky to get to .500 by 2017. Meanwhile, Houston will win this division every year. I don't think you understand how bad the Colts will be. This next year, they may not win any games. They will also be the favorite for the number one draft choice the next year too. I think they will be very lucky to win 6 games in the next three years combined..... Houston will win 34 to 36 during that time........
    My friend you are wrong. When Peyton goes to Tennessee, they will be undefeated from 2012-2015, and the Texans will be 14-2 for those three years. The teams will meet in the AFC Championship three years in a row, the Titans winning two of those games and two Super Bowls, the Texans winning one of those games and one Super Bowl. The Colts will be 0-16 all of those years. Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, and Gunner Keihl will all be drafted by the Colts, and all will either Ryan Leaf their first years or suffer career ending injuries in their first preseason game. The Colts will be lucky to win 2 games in the next three years..... olidioteque

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,972

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are a dreamer. The Colts will be lucky to get to .500 by 2017. Meanwhile, Houston will win this division every year. I don't think you understand how bad the Colts will be. This next year, they may not win any games. They will also be the favorite for the number one draft choice the next year too. I think they will be very lucky to win 6 games in the next three years combined..... Houston will win 34 to 36 during that time........

    I'm a dreamer for thinking that a team with a talented young QB and (hopefully) competent management and coaching can eventually contend in a division that only has one good team right now?

    I get that you don't think highly of Luck and that's fine. All we can do is wait and see. But when he is struggling next season, don't forget that Manning threw more interceptions than touchdowns in his rookie season. Becoming a great quarterback takes time. Manning had a horrible year in his 4th year too. He didn't get consistently great until his 5th or 6th year in the league.

    I don't think you appreciate just how much cap space we will have next season. I realize that free agency is largely a foreign thing to Colts fans since the Polians never cared much for it, but I'm hoping that our new management team takes advantage of it. And since we will likely struggle next season, we will at least get another high draft pick out of it. There are going to be plenty of opportunities for this team to build a strong roster.

    You're acting like Houston is the 80's 49ers or something. Yes, they had a nice season last year, especially considering all the injuries they fought. But they still only went 10-6 despite playing in a pathetically weak division that included us, the Titans, and the Jags. They even managed to lose to us.

    I'm sorry, but a 10-6 season in a weak division isn't enough for me to concede that they will dominate the division for the next 5 years and that the Colts should just give up rebuilding before they even start.

  33. #25
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,595

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A TITAN for Life? No * Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a dreamer for thinking that a team with a talented young QB and (hopefully) competent management and coaching can eventually contend in a division that only has one good team right now?

    I get that you don't think highly of Luck and that's fine. All we can do is wait and see. But when he is struggling next season, don't forget that Manning threw more interceptions than touchdowns in his rookie season. Becoming a great quarterback takes time. Manning had a horrible year in his 4th year too. He didn't get consistently great until his 5th or 6th year in the league.

    I don't think you appreciate just how much cap space we will have next season. I realize that free agency is largely a foreign thing to Colts fans since the Polians never cared much for it, but I'm hoping that our new management team takes advantage of it. And since we will likely struggle next season, we will at least get another high draft pick out of it. There are going to be plenty of opportunities for this team to build a strong roster.

    You're acting like Houston is the 80's 49ers or something. Yes, they had a nice season last year, especially considering all the injuries they fought. But they still only went 10-6 despite playing in a pathetically weak division that included us, the Titans, and the Jags. They even managed to lose to us.

    I'm sorry, but a 10-6 season in a weak division isn't enough for me to concede that they will dominate the division for the next 5 years and that the Colts should just give up rebuilding before they even start.
    Sorry but you are in LaLa Land. It must be nice to be there. The Jaguars will have 3 Super Bowl titles before Luck throws his first TD pass.

    RGIII will have won MVP 5 times....... - OlLord Helmet
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





Similar Threads

  1. Police make arrests in Titan Stolen Identity Case
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •