Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are we going to do with Hibbert?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question What are we going to do with Hibbert?

He's in his annual funk again, making his market value a bit difficult to determine. Before his slide, I think he would have gotten a max deal from the Pacers, or very close to it. However, he's not currently playing anything like a max-level player, but that doesn't mean some other team won't offer him it.

Do we take a chance and hope that nobody else will overpay to get Roy? Do we decide to overpay (if necessary) to keep him ourselves? Or do we trade him/let him walk?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: What are we going to do with Hibbert?

You let his play help determine the market price this summer, then you re-sign him.

If he's never more consistent, he'd still be a valuable piece to have, even if you could acquire a veteran player to start over him (as awkward as that might sound right now, we almost did this last summer by trying to get Nene AND West; Nene would have certainly started at the 5 IMO).

Or he still grows and this stops becoming an annual concern (very possible).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Keep him and pay him, I don't see any other option, Larry is not going to trade him either.

Mood

Decent centers are a rare commodity. Hibberts ups and downs are VERY frustrating, but really, are there 6 or 7 better centers in the league? And how many truly consistent guys are there at the position?

I say as frustrating as he is at times we pay him the money and hope his play becomes more consistent.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

If this thing lasts the rest of the year, hell no you don't pay it.

I still want him on this team, but man if he plays like this the rest of the year you really have to question how much money you're willing to sink into him. If he quickly turns it around and plays like he did in the first half then you're back to sure enough.

I will say I'm just now starting to be a little concerned about it though. Against Dwight I expect it, but some of these other teams I have no excuse. Not looking good.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

If someone offers him the max, you let him walk. Then laugh later as they try to unload his albatross of a contract.

$14 million is my absolute ceiling for him, though I'd definitely like him for less.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let him walk, unless you can sign and trade him for a big man who can move his feet and hold his own. Or, trade him in the next three days. I know there are som Area 55 guys who would be sad about that, but I have never like him that much. Nobody has to tell me I'm in the minority here. I wish we had pulled off a Hibbert for Gasol trade. He kills the offense and constantly gets exposed by teams that can set screens. I like Hibbert the person, but have never been a fan of the ball player. I was more stunned than anyone he actually was voted an all-star.

Ultimately, I like most of you have no idea what to do about him. My logical side tells me that it is hard to find NBA centers, so sometimes I think we might be forced to settle for a B-list center like Roy. I would like to have a B-lister that can move better. I cringe at the tought of how much he might get resigned for......

the first thing to do with roy is start playing him less minutes. see if that works. roy has been playing lots of mpg's. it seems to me that he starts leaking oil if he has to play more than 30 mpg.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I definitely would like to see him get a few less minutes and see if it helps, otherwise this is just frustrating as heck.

Hibbert just fades when we face a good team

You keep him no matter what. If you are going to overpay for anyone in this league, it is a 7'2 scoring center.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Marc Gasol got an average of 14.5 per year. If Roy doesn't vastly improve, you have to consider letting him walk if it's over 12 per year IMO.

Mood

Yeah hopefully we can sign him for cheap, he is really a shame. 1 rebound by halftime, I believe, I do not care if you are facing ORL, if you are a allstar you should perform better than that.
    Why so SERIOUS

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

10-12 max for Roy, sorry I don't see him worth more than that.

I agree 10-13 range is where I see him value wise. I think everyone needs to just give him some time. In a game or two he will be back as valuable as ever and this little stretch will be a distant memory

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Roy's value is probably the highest it will ever be right now. As much a's I live Roy and his allegiance to Indy, I'm looking at possible trade options for him this week (rondo). Then go out and trade for kaman who I would say is a more consistent center than Roy and could be an all star in the east
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You keep him no matter what. If you are going to overpay for anyone in this league, it is a 7'2 scoring center.
    Too bad that's not what he is currently.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't think a team is gonna offer him the max considering his inconsistancy, I expect to resign him for about 12-13 mil

If Roy doesn't get back on track quickly then there FO has a real decision to make. No way does he deserve 'all-star' money.... and right now you need to start rethinking exactly what role he needs to be on the team, if on the team at all. IOW... is he even a starter going forward into the future.

The team absolutely cannot have these swoons. An off game here or there, a player that he just can't handle or two... sure. But not a date on the calendar where his game just goes to crap for long stretches. IMHO it is one of the reasons the Pacers are so plagued with losing their mojo (and games) now. Early in the season the team had a guy they could go to and trust to make a play. And with Hibbert on it would help the other players. But with Hibbert off there's a hitch in the plan... and the play.... And it just keeps swirling the drain with him just continuing to be in a funk.

You can't have that as a team.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Trade him now while he still has perceived trade value.

Look I love Roy, and the saying is you never give up on a decent center. However he can't even dominate crappy centers or power forwards on a consistent basis. When he is in his funk which is the majority of the time it seems I don't even see much of a drop off when Lou is in.

Roy's problem is something of a catch-22. He's a good scorer when he gets the ball close to the basket, but he's too light to get close to the basket, and stay there till he receives the ball, when playing against physical centers.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is ever going to change, so I'm not sure what to do with him. At this point I don't think he deserves more money than David West.
    Last edited by Pingu; 03-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.

I think Larry sticks to his plan. Go after an impact free agent first while he has the advantage of Hibberts low cap hold. If after that Hibbert hasn't had another offer then give him a fair offer in the range of Grangers contract starting out at around 12 mil., even as inconsistant as he's been he'll be worth that in hopes that he'll continue to improve. If another team puts an offer up first then match it, but I don't think it will be much more then that and the raises won't be as much. Hibbert has currently played himself out of a max contract if he was ever really there. He still has time to increase his value but I really don't think he'll get an offer that's so high the Pacers wouldn't match.
    No one needs to panic if Hibbert gets that offer, it's not a big deal and may actually save the team money.

Hill is in a similar position, if he really thought he'd get an offer in the 7 mil range, his injuries have hurt that chance. IMO he was never going to get anything more then an MLE offer from another team which we can match. Again it's no big deal for these guys to get the offers when we have the ability and salary space to match them.

Not to be a stickler, but Roy's been in his annual funk since about two weeks before the all star break. You can call it an annual funk if you like, but at this point, I'm just gonna call it, Roy Hibbert.

He has really high highs and really low lows, it's just the type of player he is.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Bird will extend Roy and you WILL like it

35. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Hibbert to Boston...Rondo to LA.....Pau Gasol to Indiana?