Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Begin the hard schedule payoff

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Begin the hard schedule payoff

Okay, we got that all out of our system.

Now it's 27 games left and THREE, 3, three of those games are on the road vs teams with a winning record right now.

3 hard to win road games, 7 weaker teams on the road, 17 home games.

Let's just be reasonable about this:
    0-3 vs tough road games
    5-2 vs easier road games (this is how the Pacers got the winning road record after all)
    13-4 at home

18-9 the rest of the way at worst, unless the team turns into a joke. That's 41-25 and might be enough to end up ahead of Orlando. And I don't think it's crazy to think that they could beat the Spurs, Rockets or Philly on the road. Upside seems closer to a 21-6 run.

They won't catch Miami or Chicago, but they could end up making a great run to the playoffs and really build some momentum with the casual fans.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Begin the hard schedule payoff

Unfortunately, all this will serve to do is mask our weaknesses until they're exploited in the playoffs.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, all this will serve to do is mask our weaknesses until they're exploited in the playoffs.
    A little darksider don't you think?

I don't really understand this thinking. Mask our weaknesses to whom? I would think/hope Larry is not going to forget where we are right now just because the schedule is about to get easier. Also, the trade deadline is happening before most of those games.

Not trolling you Shade, I just don't get your logic.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    A little darksider don't you think?

I don't really understand this thinking. Mask our weaknesses to whom? I would think/hope Larry is not going to forget where we are right now just because the schedule is about to get easier. Also, the trade deadline is happening before most of those games.

Not trolling you Shade, I just don't get your logic.
    Mask our weaknesses to the fans. Everyone will be on a high heading into the playoffs, then we'll promptly get smacked back down to reality.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Also, 13-4 at home? We've arguably been worse at home than on the road.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mask our weaknesses to the fans. Everyone will be on a high heading into the playoffs, then we'll promptly get smacked back down to reality.
    Yeah, just like last year where we fell backward into the playoffs and got appropriately destroyed by 20+ points 4 games in a row against the vastly superior Chicago Bulls.....

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I would argue that our weaknesses are already out there in the open. Most of the people on this board have identified the major weaknesses.

This is a team that is supposed to have warts. We did well to cover them up in the first half of the season. The goal is now to play to our strengths. And then keep building with trades and during the off-season, as was the intention when Bird and Simon didn't spend all of the money in December.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

I have to see it to believe it.

I feel like we will be a good playoff team, when we go hard we give teams trouble arewere just not givkn it our best effort right now

I know what Shade is saying... Some winning would be nice. And for casual fans it might start getting their attention. The diehards will be apprehensive but optimistic. Then the playoffs will start and our record and win streak will mean we will not catch any team overlooking us.... And if they don't fix what's ailing them then the team gets hammered.

Diehards will be pizzed and casual fans will be put off for being 'fooled' by the Pacers and next season will be all about winning them back... again...

Of course that assumes Naptown's prediction is correct. I'm going to say, barring a trade deadline deal, we're not the same team that posted that pre-all star record and we'll be lucky to play 500 against that schedule if we don't get back on track. That means first and foremost we need Hibbert back... early season Hibbert anyway.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, just like last year where we fell backward into the playoffs and got appropriately destroyed by 20+ points 4 games in a row against the vastly superior Chicago Bulls.....
    We still lost in five games, and right now the Pacers don't look any better than they did at that point last season. Hill and West will help, but it won't be enough if Roy, DC, and Bro don't get it together in time.

So, you'd rather us lose games than have our fans think we are a good team? With last-in-the-league attendance to boot? I get what you're saying I think but you're getting dangerously close to rooting for the team to lose here. If the team wins, they win! I'll take it!

All I care about is that the front office knows what our strengths and weaknesses are, and keep making moves to make the team better.

----

Right after IU went on their last Final Four run a few years ago, I had friends saying it was terrible for the team because it made everyone think Mike Davis was a better coach than he was.

That might have been true, but looking back, I'll take the Final Four appearance, thank you very much.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

On the NBA TV pregame show the previous time that we played Miami Larry did a phone interview. Anyone remember how many games he said he thought the team could win? He also mentioned they were outperforming expectations based on their early successes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by efhead View Post
    On the NBA TV pregame show the previous time that we played Miami Larry did a phone interview. Anyone remember how many games he said he thought the team could win? He also mentioned they were outperforming expectations based on their early successes.
    He said that he expected the team to win 38wins.

So we are 23 / 16. 27 games left. Anything over 15 wins exceeds expectations given his perspective.

Not so much trying to find a positive side, we are far better than last year, but am looking for some way to rationalize the disappointment in some of these losses.

I doubt Bird would be happy with 38 wins now. You have to believe he most likely thought they consistently play to 38 wins or else slowly build into a formidable consistent winning team by the 2nd half or final 3rd of the season.

Not that they would stock up on wins early and then slip and play worse basketball the 2nd half of the season and stumble to a 38 win record.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tue 13 vs Portland W
    Wed 14 vs Philadelphia L
    Fri 16 @ New York L
    Sat 17 vs New York W
    Tue 20 vs LA Clippers L
    Thu 22 @ Washington W
    Fri 23 vs Phoenix W
    Sat 24 @ Milwaukee L
    Mon 26 vs Miami L
    Wed 28 @ New Jersey W
    Thu 29 vs Washington W
    Sat 31 @ San Antonio L

Sun 01 @ Houston L
    Tue 03 vs New York W
    Wed 04 @ Washington W
    Fri 06 vs Oklahoma City L
    Sat 07 vs Boston L
    Mon 09 vs Toronto W
    Wed 11 @ Cleveland L
    Fri 13 vs Cleveland W
    Sat 14 @ Milwaukee W
    Mon 16 vs Minnesota W
    Tue 17 @ Philadelphia L
    Thu 19 vs Milwaukee W
    Sat 21 vs Philadelphia W
    Mon 23 vs Detroit W
    Wed 25 vs Chicago L

I'm being overly optomistic here IMO. In all honesty I could see the Cavs taking the back to back from us. We just do not match up with them well at all. Depending on if the Bucks are eleminated by that time or not from the playoffs I could see them taking that game there on the 19th. Also I'm giving us credit for Rubio being out and praying the Pekovick gets the flu for the Min. game.

Also you'll notice I'm giving us credit for a win vs. the Blazers & the Knicks to avoid the 9 game losing streak, which I still don't think is out of the question.

15-12 the rest of the way. Still above .500% & probably enough to maintain 6th or 7th.

38-28 for the season.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Because our schedule is so much easier I expect us to finish out strong, and to compete for homecourt still.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Tue 13 vs Portland W
    Wed 14 vs Philadelphia L
    Fri 16 @ New York L
    Sat 17 vs New York W
    Tue 20 vs LA Clippers L
    Thu 22 @ Washington W
    Fri 23 vs Phoenix W
    Sat 24 @ Milwaukee L
    Mon 26 vs Miami L
    Wed 28 @ New Jersey W
    Thu 29 vs Washington W
    Sat 31 @ San Antonio L

Sun 01 @ Houston L
    Tue 03 vs New York W
    Wed 04 @ Washington W
    Fri 06 vs Oklahoma City L
    Sat 07 vs Boston L
    Mon 09 vs Toronto W
    Wed 11 @ Cleveland L
    Fri 13 vs Cleveland W
    Sat 14 @ Milwaukee W
    Mon 16 vs Minnesota W
    Tue 17 @ Philadelphia L
    Thu 19 vs Milwaukee W
    Sat 21 vs Philadelphia W
    Mon 23 vs Detroit W
    Wed 25 vs Chicago L

I'm being overly optomistic here IMO. In all honesty I could see the Cavs taking the back to back from us. We just do not match up with them well at all. Depending on if the Bucks are eleminated by that time or not from the playoffs I could see them taking that game there on the 19th. Also I'm giving us credit for Rubio being out and praying the Pekovick gets the flu for the Min. game.

Also you'll notice I'm giving us credit for a win vs. the Blazers & the Knicks to avoid the 9 game losing streak, which I still don't think is out of the question.

15-12 the rest of the way. Still above .500% & probably enough to maintain 6th or 7th.

38-28 for the season.
    Boy you've really gone to the dark side, haven't you?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    What the hell happened to PD? Seth is all overly optimistic and Peck has caught the vnzla virus.

Would you all prefer we revert back to JOB days?

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Winning cures all ills. So what if it causes undue optimism? If casual fans get the wool pulled over their eyes and actually fill some seats, all the better.

I don't get the worst case scenario here. We do really well and then flame out in the playoffs. So, then the casual fans get angry and turn on the team? I don't think so. In Indiana, even casual fans know basketball, and would accept it's a young team paying their dues. Even if they feel the team in inherantly flawed, they'll discover we've still got a lot of cap space and can improve the team over the summer, and they can get engaged in that process. Win-win.

Lastly, I was looking at the standings, and I noticed that Boston has played 24 home games versus only 16 road games. Would you rather be them?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Despite the obvious personnel needs the biggest weakness this team seems to have is inside the heads and the chests of the players in the locker room!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Honestly I thought I was being upbeat with that prediction. Which loss do you think I'm being pessemistic about?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    What the hell happened to PD? Seth is all overly optimistic and Peck has caught the vnzla virus.

Would you all prefer we revert back to JOB days?
    That's the standard we are supposed to use? Oh well at least it's not as bad as when Jim was here.

Sorry I guess I had a little higher aspirations than that, obviously I let the early season record get the best of me but playing .500% & unable to beat a team that has a winning record or even teams that are close (Cavs. thumped as as well don't forget) just isn't my idea of improvement.

I don't think I'm saying anything really different that what David West said.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

I still don't understand why West is not happy? we are better than last year right?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...|text|Sports|p

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The evidence has been laid out for the Indiana Pacers and everyone else to see.

Play a weak team and the Pacers usually take care of business.

Play a playoff-caliber team, and the Pacers have shown lately that they don't have the personnel to take that next step.

BOXSCORE: Magic 107, Pacers 94

They have continued to publicly declare that they can compete against the league's best.

But veteran power forward David West broke away from the company line after the Pacers barely put up an effort in their 107-94 loss to the Orlando Magic at the Amway Center on Sunday.

"We beat up on bad teams but just can't compete against the good teams," West said as he dressed after the game. "Games we've had against playoff-caliber teams, we've lost to them. That's the measure to where we are. We just have to be real about it."

The Magic didn't have a problem beating the Pacers despite being without starters Hedo Turkoglu (suspension) and Jason Richardson (ankle).

All the Magic really needed was All-Star center Dwight Howard.

Howard, whose future with the organization is murky with the trade deadline just days away, scored 30 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and had five assists.

Orlando led by 24 points in the first half. The Pacers got that down to nine early in the third quarter, but the Magic pushed it back up to 29 points in the fourth quarter.

Second-year guard Paul George led the Pacers with 22 points.

"We came out tonight flat and didn't play well, didn't play together," West said. "We got blown out of the gym. That doesn't happen to good teams, either."

The numbers don't lie on how the Pacers have played of late.

They reached their longest winning streak in seven years -- six games -- by beating up on teams that are likely headed to the draft lottery this summer.

The Pacers wanted to shed the thought that the schedule was the reason for their success.

Instead, the opposite has happened. The Pacers, in their toughest stretch of the season, have dropped their first four games against teams that will be in the playoffs. Two of the four losses -- Orlando and Chicago -- were blowouts.

They collapsed down the stretch in their overtime loss at Miami on Saturday.

"I thought we fought hard enough to win (Saturday)," West said. "We didn't make the plays at the end. Good teams make plays at the end to win."

The Pacers (23-16) have gone from having the third-best record in the Eastern Conference a week ago to fifth. They trail the third-place Magic by 21/2 games.

The struggles against winning teams come after the Pacers gave hope that they had turned the corner with impressive road wins over the Lakers, Boston, Chicago, Dallas and Orlando early in the season.

"We have to decide what type of team we want to be," West said. "(Do) we want to be an average team that beats the bad teams and teams that have already cashed it in for the season, or do you want to be able to compete with the top six teams in the Eastern Conference?"

Pacers coach Frank Vogel continues to remain upbeat.

"We know we're a good team. We know the schedule is going to hit you hard at times," Vogel said. "You have to do the best you can to manage it. We have a great deal of confidence that we're a very good team now."

The Pacers hope to get things back together when they host the Portland Trail Blazers -- who have lost five of their past seven games -- at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Tuesday