Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

  1. #1
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ls-sources-say

    I'm leaning a little toward preferring him to join Arizona so that he's in the NFC, but it would also be kinda fun to see the Tebow controversy should he join Denver.

  2. #2
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    I'm surprised he likely isn't going to Miami...

    He should pick Arizona because they have Fitzgerald to catch balls. That would be a crazy combo.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Dolphins AM talk radio today is saying that if Manning goes to Denver, their owner Stephen Ross (who likes star power) may trade for Tebow, having to outbid Jacksonville.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  4. #4
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,535

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Tebow would be dumb to leave Denver if Peyton signs. If Tebow kept his mobility and gained 25% of the talent Peyton has in the pocket he would be a possible Pro Bowl QB when Manning retires in 3 years.

    I'm still surprised he's not considering Seattle really. Great stadium, great fans, and they were 7-9 last year with a terrible QB.
    Last edited by idioteque; 03-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tebow would be dumb to leave Denver if Peyton signs. If Tebow kept his mobility and gained 25% of the talent Peyton has in the pocket he would be a possible Pro Bowl QB when Manning retires in 3 years.

    I'm still surprised he's not considering Seattle really. Great stadium, great fans, and they were 7-9 last year with a terrible QB.

    How would Tebow gain that mobility and talent if he was sitting on the bench behind Peyton? Sure Manning could teach him some things, but there's nothing Manning could offer him that is more valuable than taking reps in practice and playing in actual games.

    If I'm Tebow, I'd want out immediately if they signed Peyton. Tebow had plenty of sloppy moments last year, but lots of QBs are sloppy in their first full year. At the end of the day though, he led that team to a playoff win against a superior Pittsburgh team. Clearly a healthy Manning is light-years better than Tebow and if I were Denver I'd certainly be trying to sign him. But from Tebow's standpoint, he is good enough to start on several NFL teams and if I were him I'd try to force my way to one.

    One reason I'm kind of surprised that Peyton is looking at Denver is because he's always advocated how good young QBs should have the opportunity to start. But by going to the Broncos, he would basically be ruining the early part of Tebow's career there. Don't get me wrong, I think he should sign there if he thinks it's the best fit as he would clearly make them a much better team. But I just thought he would be more inclined to go to Miami because they are looking for a QB upgrade regardless of whether they get Manning or not. He wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes there.

    From Tebow's standpoint: Yeah, it's Peyton Manning, but he's 36 and will have not taken a snap in 20 months by the time the season starts in September. Tebow led the Broncos to a playoff win and rejuvenated the fan base. Any athlete would probably be a bit offended by getting kicked to the curb like that.

  7. #6
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,104

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    I don't think Denver is really committed to Tebow so it's possible Tebow is gone whether Manning comes or not. Manning coming would just give them some cover to make the move and I can't see fans storming the gates if Tebow is released but they get Manning.

    So if Manning goes there it might look like he's pushing Tebow out or into the background, but he probably knows that really isn't the case. ...IMHO

    From the outside looking in the only possible reason I could see for Manning to not want to go to Miami would be out of respect to Marino and feeling the "star" QB that finally replaces the memory of Marino shouldn't be a pre-packaged (aging?) star coming in from FA. It should be a young QB coming in and growing into the role.

    I'm not sure I agree with that thinking, if it's even the thought process.

    My guess would be Miami should be Peyton's #1 destination. So if they're interested I'm not sure why he wouldn't be.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  8. #7
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,753

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Denver is really committed to Tebow so it's possible Tebow is gone whether Manning comes or not. Manning coming would just give them some cover to make the move and I can't see fans storming the gates if Tebow is released but they get Manning.

    So if Manning goes there it might look like he's pushing Tebow out or into the background, but he probably knows that really isn't the case. ...IMHO

    From the outside looking in the only possible reason I could see for Manning to not want to go to Miami would be out of respect to Marino and feeling the "star" QB that finally replaces the memory of Marino shouldn't be a pre-packaged (aging?) star coming in from FA. It should be a young QB coming in and growing into the role.

    I'm not sure I agree with that thinking, if it's even the thought process.

    My guess would be Miami should be Peyton's #1 destination. So if they're interested I'm not sure why he wouldn't be.

    I agree that Denver isn't really committed to Tebow, but they were pretty much forced to to keep him next year after that playoff win. I think Peyton is the only available player that could kick Tebow out this season.

    Fans will definitely be pleased with signing Manning as they should be. There's no doubt that the Broncos would be a SB contender with a healthy Manning, so they should definitely try to make this move. But if they don't get Manning, then I just really don't see any other scenario where they could kick Tebow out in 2012 and not tick the fans off. So I think Manning would be directly responsible for Tebow not being the starter in 2012.

    I don't buy that Marino theory because Manning is interested in Denver, a franchise that identifies with Elway just like the Dolphins do with Marino. Maybe he's heard some things about the organizational structure in Miami that have turned him off. Denver has the Elway-Fox tandem which no doubt would impress someone who likes stability and structure like Manning.

    From the outside, Miami just makes so much sense. So there is clearly something there that has turned him off if these reports are true.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

  9. #8
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    He wont sign in Denver. WAYYYYYY TOO COLD. Either Arizona or Miami. I still have a feeling he and Wayne both go to Miami
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,104

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I don't buy that Marino theory because Manning is interested in Denver, a franchise that identifies with Elway just like the Dolphins do with Marino. Maybe he's heard some things about the organizational structure in Miami that have turned him off. Denver has the Elway-Fox tandem which no doubt would impress someone who likes stability and structure like Manning.

    From the outside, Miami just makes so much sense. So there is clearly something there that has turned him off if these reports are true.
    Clearly for the Bronco deal he'd have Elway's blessing... Maybe he needs Marino's blessing before he legitimately considers Miami?

    I'm just guessing... I'm having a hard time trying to figure why Miami wouldn't be an option. Market-wise, having Miami as an option, even if it isn't really a preferred option, helps drive up the price for Manning. So if Manning/agent doesn't really want Miami at least publicly thought of as an option then it makes me wonder.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. #10
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,264
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    What's the cap situation for these various teams? How many players will they have to delete in order to fit Manning in (ala the Colts)?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,104

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Heh... unless Miami's allegedly not an option because it's so obvious so the agent/Manning want Miami to think they are really gonna have to step up to the plate because Arizona and Denver are where Manning's looking at hard.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #12
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    One reason I'm kind of surprised that Peyton is looking at Denver is because he's always advocated how good young QBs should have the opportunity to start. But by going to the Broncos, he would basically be ruining the early part of Tebow's career there.
    I do not see the contradiction between the two sentences.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  17. #13

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Yeah don't believe it.

    Only because these are the only teams he's visited just now I mean really aren't there other teams he's visiting as well if its just these two then why bother with Miami and others?

    Just saying

  18. #14
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,535

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How would Tebow gain that mobility and talent if he was sitting on the bench behind Peyton? Sure Manning could teach him some things, but there's nothing Manning could offer him that is more valuable than taking reps in practice and playing in actual games.

    If I'm Tebow, I'd want out immediately if they signed Peyton. Tebow had plenty of sloppy moments last year, but lots of QBs are sloppy in their first full year. At the end of the day though, he led that team to a playoff win against a superior Pittsburgh team. Clearly a healthy Manning is light-years better than Tebow and if I were Denver I'd certainly be trying to sign him. But from Tebow's standpoint, he is good enough to start on several NFL teams and if I were him I'd try to force my way to one.

    One reason I'm kind of surprised that Peyton is looking at Denver is because he's always advocated how good young QBs should have the opportunity to start. But by going to the Broncos, he would basically be ruining the early part of Tebow's career there. Don't get me wrong, I think he should sign there if he thinks it's the best fit as he would clearly make them a much better team. But I just thought he would be more inclined to go to Miami because they are looking for a QB upgrade regardless of whether they get Manning or not. He wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes there.

    From Tebow's standpoint: Yeah, it's Peyton Manning, but he's 36 and will have not taken a snap in 20 months by the time the season starts in September. Tebow led the Broncos to a playoff win and rejuvenated the fan base. Any athlete would probably be a bit offended by getting kicked to the curb like that.
    I don't see any teams interesting in Tebow as a long-term starting option, that was my assumption in making the point I did. Obviously if he could go somewhere and start and get starter's reps and be the long term option it might make sense for him, but anywhere he goes he's going to be a stop-gap and if he leaves Denver it is just going to start a cycle of him getting passed around the league like the journeyman QB that his current talent level represents. Tebow is right now an effective mobile QB but he can't read the defense to save his life sometimes, that is definitely a skill Peyton could teach him despite any physical limitations Tebow does have. Tebow has to decide if he wants to be Denver's consensus starter in three years or if he wants to start in Jacksonville next year and be horribly exposed.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,960

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Personally, I want him to go to Arizona. Not only do I think it's the best fit, but it would mean his games would be on Fox and not get pre-empted for Colts games. Denver's west coast, and I would think most of their games would be 4pm, so that wouldn't be horrible. If he goes to Miami, though, we won't get to see half his games because they'll be on the same time as us.

    Of course, wherever he goes he'll get 4 or 5 night games, so that's a plus.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Peyton could make Tebow look like a decent RB or receiver or anything else on offense.

  23. #17
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,055
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    I think that this story should wait until he visits the other two possibly 3 teams, those being Titans, Seahawks, and the Dolphins.
    Why so SERIOUS

  24. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,317

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    I'll be surprised if he goes to Miami. I just think facing Brady and the Patriots twice a year probably is not too appealing to him. Why fight for a wildcard spot when you can wrap up a division else where.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  25. #19

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heh... unless Miami's allegedly not an option because it's so obvious so the agent/Manning want Miami to think they are really gonna have to step up to the plate because Arizona and Denver are where Manning's looking at hard.
    If I were him I would get all the other teams offers that I was on the fence on and then go to my favorite team with that information. Possibly Miama..

    Seems logical to me but also consider Arizona has to make a call on Kolb contract very soon or there on the hook for his contract.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 03-12-2012 at 09:31 AM.

  26. #20

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I want him to go to Arizona.
    Arizona is int he worst cap situation of the contenders. No room to get Peyton extra toys like Wayne, with major releases of multiple other players.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-of-march-11/

    Denver is in great shape:

    This includes contracts finalized before 4PM on Friday, so not including things like the Colts releasing Gonzales, for example, and the Jets with Sanchez

    Bengals: $49.9 million under.
    Broncos: $44.7 million under.
    Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
    Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
    Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
    Redskins: $31.1 million under.
    Bills: $30.8 million under.
    Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
    Titans: $28.1 million under.
    Bears: $22.6 million under.
    49ers: $21.8 million under.
    Browns: $17.4 million under.
    Patriots: $16.2 million under.
    Chargers: $14.9 million under.
    Ravens: $14.45 million under.
    Dolphins: $11.8 million under.
    Colts: $11.6 million under.
    Steelers: $10.5 million under.
    Eagles: $9.6 million under.
    Vikings: $7.9 million under.
    Jets: $7.1 million under.
    Falcons: $5.8 million under.
    Packers: $5.4 million under.
    Saints: $5.2 million under.
    Cowboys: $4.7 million under.
    Rams: $1.2 million under.
    -------------------------------------
    Giants: $3.8 million over.
    Texans: $4.7 million over.
    Panthers: $5.3 million over.
    Raiders: $7.4 million over.
    Lions: $11.5 million over.
    Cardinals: $16.4 million over.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  27. #21

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    I have heard the Cards only have around 2 million in cap space but can make a lot more available if they release Levi Brown (LT) who is due a roster bonus of 5-6 million dollars today.

    THis is why I think he went to the Cards over the weekend and we should know how well that conversation went if you do see him get released today.

  28. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have heard the Cards only have around 2 million in cap space but can make a lot more available if they release Levi Brown (LT) who is due a roster bonus of 5-6 million dollars today.

    THis is why I think he went to the Cards over the weekend and we should know how well that conversation went if you do see him get released today.
    Also they can release Kevin kolb,

  29. #23

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Denver's space, though, means they can sign Peyton, Reggie Wayne, maybe Freeny if/when he is released, perhaps Vincent Jackson, a tight end....

    I think Denver's advantages are overwhelming.

    The negatives would be backlash from the hardest of hardcore Tebow fans and bad outdoor weather at home (though favorable with respect to in-division road games other than Kansas City).
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  30. #24

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Denver's space, though, means they can sign Peyton, Reggie Wayne, maybe Freeny if/when he is released, perhaps Vincent Jackson, a tight end....

    I think Denver's advantages are overwhelming.

    The negatives would be backlash from the hardest of hardcore Tebow fans and bad outdoor weather at home (though favorable with respect to in-division road games other than Kansas City).
    I am not sure about that Slick.

    Jackson will get somewhere around 12 million a year and I am Sure Mannign will ask somewhere between 17 to 20 million a year. Wayne wants probably 10 million a year and he will get less but that leaves 4 million left if those number play out.

    The market this year will drive up the cost of WR's like Jackson IMO and then your left with the comparison of supporting cast and coaches.

  31. #25
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,559
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton likely to sign with Broncos or Cardinals

    Manning to Miami makes sense from a personal, team, and league standpoint.

    Personally, he owns a home there, so he would be able to settle his family there without nearly the disruption in his personal family life that playing anywhere else would cause.

    Miami has enough talent to becaome dangerous with Manning, and an owner very much willing to spend, as all Miami based franchises are.

    The NFL would absolutely be overwhelmingly in favor of it due to Peyton vs. Brady twice during the regular season, and likely once in the playoffs for 2 or 3 more years, the possibility of a Manning bowl story line for the Super Bowl for a while longer, and a marquee player in the market that is possibly the hottest superstar market in both the NBA and MLB.

    If Peyton goes anywhere else, it will shock me about as much as Jim O'Brien coming out with a public apology to Pacers fans because he now recognizes the folly of the "stretch 4".

Similar Threads

  1. Peyton Manning meets Friday with...Broncos?
    By Ransom in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
  2. Peyton Manning - Thanks for the memories...
    By ejwallace in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM
  3. Broncos WR Kenny McKinley committed suicide
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 09:53 AM
  4. Laurence Maroney traded to the Broncos
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
  5. Broncos vs. 49ers in London in 2010
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 01:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •