Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report: Redskins trade THREE #1s and a #2 for RGIII

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Redskins trade THREE #1s and a #2 for RGIII

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In last years draft they could of selected Andy Dalton.
    2010 Tebow.
    2009 Josh Freeman.
    2005 Aaron Rodgers.
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger
    2001 Drew Brees
    See a trend here? There are gold if you use them right or know what your doing and there management has made a joke of their own team for years.
    Eh, whether or not Tebow is a good NFL QB is still up for discussion, and Freeman has potential but still has a lot to prove. So basically you have three franchise QBs that have been drafted in the last decade. You're going to single out one FO for missing all three?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

This trade will go down as the worst in the history of the NFL. THREE first rounders? Never been done before, first rounders are gold in the NFL especially from where the Redskins would be picking from the next two years after this. Craziness.
    Think of it this way:

Back in 1999, the Saints traded their ENTIRE draft of picks PLUS a 1st and 3rd round pick the following season for Ricky Williams. And that's on top of the fact that Williams was a RB, not a QB. The Redskins got Lavar Arrington with the following year's 1st rounder.

I mean, that was a total fleecing by the Skins', but other than Arrington (whose career was cut short by injuries), can you recall the name of a single player the Redskins got from that trade? In theory, the Redskins should have been able to build a dynasty off that haul, but they built nothing, mainly because they were never able to find even a decent QB.

This is obviously the correct move by the Rams. It's very good compensation for simply trading down 4 spots. It's a no brainer trade on their part right now, but I doubt anyone is projecting that team to be a dynasty 3 years from now because of it.

For the Redskins, this is a steep price to pay but if RGIII pans out the way they hope, it's easily worth it. It's hard to find a franchise QB, and the Redskins of the past 20+ years are proof of that.
    Last edited by d_c; 03-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The reason RG3 gets compared to Vick is the athleticism. But he is far more like Vick in Philly than Vick in Atlanta. Vick in Philly is a damn good qb. He has become extremely accurate, don't let the completion % from this season fool you.

RG3 is somewhere in between Vick and Rodgers, as Vick when he entered the league, RG3 doesn't have that type of athleticism, Vick was clocked at a 4.25 40 time. But he is more athletic than Rodgers. RG3 is a better passer than Vick, but not quite as good as Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Think of it this way:

Back in 1999, the Saints traded their ENTIRE draft of picks PLUS a 1st and 3rd round pick the following season for Ricky Williams. And that's on top of the fact that Williams was a RB, not a QB. The Redskins got Lavar Arrington with the following year's 1st rounder.

I mean, that was a total fleecing by the Skins', but other than Arrington (whose career was cut short by injuries), can you recall the name of a single player the Redskins got from that trade? In theory, the Redskins should have been able to build a dynasty off that haul, but they built nothing, mainly because they were never able to find even a decent QB.

This is obviously the correct move by the Rams. It's very good compensation for simply trading down 4 spots. It's a no brainer trade on their part right now, but I doubt anyone is projecting that team to be a dynasty 3 years from now because of it.

For the Redskins, this is a steep price to pay but if RGIII pans out the way they hope, it's easily worth it. It's hard to find a franchise QB, and the Redskins of the past 20+ years are proof of that.
    The example above when Ditka was obsessed with Ricky, the deal didn't include three first round picks. Including this year, the Rams now will have 5 very good first round picks over the next three drafts, this years included. That's a lot more quality than the example you gave with round 1-7 picks they got. Yes, the Rams will be an amazing team 3-4 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Eh, whether or not Tebow is a good NFL QB is still up for discussion, and Freeman has potential but still has a lot to prove. So basically you have three franchise QBs that have been drafted in the last decade. You're going to single out one FO for missing all three?
    Yes, one franchise in the Redskins who have thrown money around year in and year out on big time free agents and traded away half of their draft picks in the past ten years when they desperately were in need of a franchise QB since Rypien's few good years there. They have missed on just about everything and this recent trade tops it all off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait, you mean the Redskins have drafted QB's in the past who did not work out. and now they are taking a risk hoping to be able to shore up only the most important position in modern NFL.

PS. Other franchises have gone crazy as of late. Philly and Dallas most recently, though Snyder gets all the bad pub for his stupid moves (rightfully so)

They have missed on just about everything and this recent trade tops it all off.
    Or just proves they didnt think they had the answer at number 6 and decided to make a risky move....one they felt was needed.

Better then signing a old, big name QB is free agency for big money....

I think it is funny a lot of news I am hearing is the Colts owner wants luck, but a lot of the front office staff want RG3. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

The redskins will lose 18 million dollars of this years cap space, fines by the NFL for over front loading the contracts...

Incorrect.

The adjustment is 36 million, while Dallas will be adjusted 10 million.

(source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ions-cap-space)

It is not a adjustment for this year.

The teams receiving money can also choose to split it over the 2012 and '13 seasons however they see fit, sources said.

Also note it is not a fine.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the players' association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Lastly, the Redskins are conisdering sueing the NFL, as are the Cowboys. The teams broke no "rules", but instead did not go along with the other teams who had a "back room agreement" not to frontload contract to save money. Other teams complained 2 years later (after the NFL approved the contracts) so good luck to the NFL in court. The NFL has a worse record in court then the Skins have had on the field lately.

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.” - Redskins statement from EVP/GM Bruce Allen

"The Dallas Cowboys were in compliance with all league salary cap rules during the uncapped year," the team said in a statement Monday night. "We look forward to the start of the free agency period where our commitment to improving our team remains unchanged." - Dallas Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Incorrect.

The adjustment is 36 million, while Dallas will be adjusted 10 million.

(source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ions-cap-space)

It is not a adjustment for this year.

The teams receiving money can also choose to split it over the 2012 and '13 seasons however they see fit, sources said.

Also note it is not a fine.

According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations, but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the players' association made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases and the performance pool.

Lastly, the Redskins are conisdering sueing the NFL, as are the Cowboys. The teams broke no "rules", but instead did not go along with the other teams who had a "back room agreement" not to frontload contract to save money. Other teams complained 2 years later (after the NFL approved the contracts) so good luck to the NFL in court. The NFL has a worse record in court then the Skins have had on the field lately.

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.” - Redskins statement from EVP/GM Bruce Allen

"The Dallas Cowboys were in compliance with all league salary cap rules during the uncapped year," the team said in a statement Monday night. "We look forward to the start of the free agency period where our commitment to improving our team remains unchanged." - Dallas Cowboys
    36 over two years...what Does that divide out to?

My bad, I forgot you were Bruce Allen.

Last I checked, the team has not said anything about how they would take the hit. The rumor is they are going to fight this, and defer the payments until next year if the punishments are upheld.

So 36 - 36 = WHAT?!?!?!

Once again, the Redskins have not been notified of this, so they are NOT taking any hit this year.....

My bad, I forgot you were Bruce Allen.

Last I checked, the team has not said anything about how they would take the hit. The rumor is they are going to fight this, and defer the payments until next year if the punishments are upheld.

So 36 - 36 = WHAT?!?!?!

Once again, the Redskins have not been notified of this, so they are NOT taking any hit this year.....
    I am just reporting what espn said, "the redskins and cowboys will be doling out the cap expenditures over the next two years..." Just sayin', say what you want but the worldwide leader is reporting contrary to what you are saying...Now there is some truth to the doling out of it... "they can spread it out in any manner between 2012 and 2013" but I dont believe they will have the cap space to do it in the future if they postpone the cap punishment...either way, looks like pending some sort of overturn of the punishment, one of those rams picks they just acquired I doubt will be in the "20-32 range"...
    Last edited by Dgreenwell3; 03-13-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I am just reporting what espn said, "the redskins and cowboys will be doling out the cap expenditures over the next two years..." Just sayin', say what you want but the worldwide leader is reporting contrary to what you are saying...
    As a Pacers fan I would think you would know better then to only rely on ESPN.....

That said, I have heard rumors this morning that the NFL already took the Redskins 18M off the books. Keep in mind the article I posted earlier is from ESPN (the worldwide leader in sports as you called it) that says the team has the choice.

I have also heard that the Redskins legal staff never left Redskins park last night.....so even if the NFL took 18M it doesnt matter if we see Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder vs NFL.

One thing to keep in mind. Nothing is official. I have it on good word that Bruce Allen only found out about this AFTER Adam S. called to ask for comment. The NFL has made no comment, and only said what they did yesterday after the media broke the story.

Still waiting for an explination from the NFL, and the Giants owner as he is the head of the competetion committee

either way, looks like pending some sort of overturn of the punishment, one of those rams picks they just acquired I doubt will be in the "20-32 range"...
    Really?!?!

Why, because the lost the ability to aquire 2-3 free agents.

Damn, the team will have to draft smart and sign cheap talent and not go after big name players!

Would be funny as hell to see Mora and Goodell pull this crap and then have the team still make the playoffs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The redskins will lose 18 million dollars of this years cap space, fines by the NFL for over front loading the contracts...
    They could use it all next year if they like. If I am the Redskins I use it all next year and FO load a **** ton of deals right now just to say FU to Goodell. I dont think the Skins or boys did anything wrong. But I would love the extra cap room if the ruling sticks.

I dont like this ruling and I am happy that the Skins and Cowboys will not be able to go after as many free agents and the Bears get more cap room. Especially the Skins they were the main contender with us for V-Jax. I would think the players union will have something to say about the ruling.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-13-2012 at 08:43 AM.

The NFLPA was strongarmed into agreeing this to make sure the salary cap was adjusted, plus other teams get money.

Reports out of Redskins park is they are looking at Peppers contract (as well as every other teams contract from that season). The Bears took a $34 million hit doing the same thing Dallas and Washington did. Not to mention the teams that came in under the ceiling who are not being punished at all (I have heard Jacksonville among others, but finding a reliable source on these stories is hard to find)

Also, Adam S. is reporting the NFL took 18M off the books on the official NFL web-site.

So little news.....

Never thought I would say this, but from Cowboys Zone:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ntitled1-1.jpg

10 others teams were guilty of this as well.

Despite Monday's cap hit from the league office, ESPN's John Clayton expects the Redskins to remain in aggressive in pursuit of free agents Cortland Finnegan, Vincent Jackson and Eddie Royal.
    Dozens of reports have linked Jackson to the Redskins, but Finnegan is flying under the radar as a target for GM Bruce Allen and deep-pocketed owner Daniel Snyder. The Redskins and Cowboys can split their cap hits between 2012 and 2013. Profootballtalk's Mike Florio astutely points out the two teams will likely "spend now and fight later."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...rs-free-agency

Funny going back and reading this thread.

Is Bulletproof still around? I remember he was quite active, then it seems like he just fell off the face of the earth

Funny going back and reading this thread.

Is Bulletproof still around? I remember he was quite active, then it seems like he just fell off the face of the earth
    We shall see how he holds up this year. If he can recover then clearly the skins win this one, If he doesn't Rams may even it out with tayvon Austin.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't on the board when this thread was first around but it is funny reading back through this. As a Rams fan, I originally thought it was a flat out win for my team when this trade was made. But obviously, watching RGIII last year was quite a treat. I think that ultimately, this trade will go down as one that helps each team equally.

The Skins were closer to relevance and RGIII helped put them over the top (with an assist from Alfred Morris). The Rams had so many holes to fill that drafting RGIII wouldn't have helped on his own. Getting all those extra draft picks and trading down to acquire more (then using some of those to trade up for Tavon Austin) is speeding up the rebuild job. The sports media always like to debate who won/lost, but I think this is one that filled each team's needs perfectly.
    Last edited by TheRyanExpress; 07-08-2013 at 10:27 AM.