Thread: Don't Know What To Do?

Mood

Default Don't Know What To Do?

I was laid off from my last employer in September. I have been working the past six months trying to get my small business going. It took 5 months of meetings with score to get my business plan straight. I have a meeting with the VA vocational rehabilitation person on the 28th to discuss what they would be willing to pay for me to get up and going.

I just got a call from an application that I turned in 2 years ago for a job doing case management in my home area of Madison and Grant counties. It is a great place from what I have been told and would come with insurance and benefits. They want me to interview Monday. We were just approved for Medicaid for the kids and HIP for the wife. I have the VA healthcare since I am a disabled vet. My wife is down in Henryville voluterring with the American Red Cross while I stay with the kids. She is doing so well down there that they may bring her in and pay her to help down there during the week. She is loving it and after the first couple of days I am doing well with the kids.

I am going to attend the interview and see how things go, but I am just so torn on the subject, especially since it is in the same career field that I was laid off from.

Default Re: Don't Know What To Do?

If it's a job that you enjoy doing, why not do it? Work on the business as time permits.

Mood

It is not so much that I enjoy doing it, but I am good at it. My passion is in my business and it is in a totally different career field and as good as I am in social work, I am a better engine builder.

Mood

Well, luck has its own mysterious ways but I did not get the social working job because the other applicant had more experience. After feeling down for a few weeks I decided to look in an area that would benefit my business as well as bring in some extra income. I decided to apply at some auto parts stores in the local area. Finally last Thursday night Autozone called and asked for an interview. I went in prepared with my resume and met with the store manager. As soon as I got home they called again and asked if I could come in for a second interview later that day. The district manager drove up from Indy to meet me. They said that would call me by Friday. Time went quickly and Friday afternoon came and I was down again. They called me later yesterday and said my background hadn't come back and for me not to worry. This morning they called and offered me a part-time position as a parts sales manager. Perfect for what I am trying to do. To top it off my VA voc rehab counselor sent my business plan to Notre Dame to some professor to see if it good. If they are satisfied then we sumbit our money request to the VA and they will tell me what they are willing to buy for me. We requested 23,400 so it is under the 25,000 that the local VA can approve. Now I need to find a shop to rent. Things are starting to take shape.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, luck has its own mysterious ways but I did not get the social working job because the other applicant had more experience. After feeling down for a few weeks I decided to look in an area that would benefit my business as well as bring in some extra income. I decided to apply at some auto parts stores in the local area. Finally last Thursday night Autozone called and asked for an interview. I went in prepared with my resume and met with the store manager. As soon as I got home they called again and asked if I could come in for a second interview later that day. The district manager drove up from Indy to meet me. They said that would call me by Friday. Time went quickly and Friday afternoon came and I was down again. They called me later yesterday and said my background hadn't come back and for me not to worry. This morning they called and offered me a part-time position as a parts sales manager. Perfect for what I am trying to do. To top it off my VA voc rehab counselor sent my business plan to Notre Dame to some professor to see if it good. If they are satisfied then we sumbit our money request to the VA and they will tell me what they are willing to buy for me. We requested 23,400 so it is under the 25,000 that the local VA can approve. Now I need to find a shop to rent. Things are starting to take shape.
    Best of luck to you and thank you for your service. When were you in the Armed Services, if I may ask? I just like stories like these- guy serves his country and then (hopefully) gets a little help from his country in return to do something really cool when he comes back. If it wasn't for relatives of mine who went to college on the GI Bill there is no way I would have the opportunities I do now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know its not much but my wife works for backyard broadcasting radio for this area. if you get your business going Im sure she can help you with cheap opening week advertising. good luck!

Mood

That would be cool. I served from 1990-1994. I did 2 years in Germany and about 1 1/2 in Missouri. I was deployed twice, but nothing to the extent our guys are doing now. I met a young man who had been either deployed to either Afganistan or Iraq eight times since his enlistment. I was deployed to Iraq for Desert Storm and Somalia. The unit I belonged to was a schnook unit and we flew missions in Iraq delivering food and medical supplies to kurdish refugees. It wasn't too bad but as a unit made up of schnook helicopters there was not a lot of work for a heavy wheeled mechanic with 2 trucks there. I ended up doing gunner on an M-60 or 50 cal a lot of the time. Now Somalia was a different story. We got deployed when I had five days left in my unit. Watching my close friends get ready made me guilty and I ended up asking to go. Even though we had taken all of our vehicles it was decided that we could not take them off of the ship for fear of being shot at. I ended up doing three months of guard duty. it was a hairy situation and I was glad when we got the orders to go home. 16 hours a day on guard duty and 8 off got ugly quickly. I look back on it and wouldn't want to change anything. If it weren't for injuries I might have been still in the Army.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post: