Thread: I like the backcourt of Jones and Johnson

Default I like the backcourt of Jones and Johnson

Don't misunderstand, Reggie and Jamaal are the starters and they should be the starters.

But I really like when Jones and Johnson come in.

The defense picks up immediately, the physicalness picks up, the aggression picks up and oh did I mention the defense picks up.

What I like the best is the physical nature those two players bring.

Sure, we miss the three point shooting of Reggie and the playmaking of Jamaal, but I have a lot of confidence in Jones and Johnson.

Default Re: I like the backcourt of Jones and Johnson

Which one is the point guard?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Which one is the point guard?
    Johnson

Anthem, I assume you were trying to make a point by asking your question.

Whether you were or not or whether you were truly asking, it does not matter.

AJ certainly bring the ball up the court and AJ certainly defends the other teams point guards.

However, once the Pacers are in the halfcourt, Freddie has the ball as much if not more than AJ, Freddie is the one who is constantly running pick and rolls and Freddie is the one making plays for his teammates.

So, in many ways Freddie is as much of a point guard as AJ.

That is another reason why I like Jones and Johnson together on the floor, they are in many ways interchangeable and it gives the Pacers a different look and forces the opponent to prepare for a different look

Anthem, I assume you were trying to make a point by asking your question.
    Yup.

I see Freddy as the combo guard of the future, and it makes me feel good to hear (haven't seen a game in Feb) that he's doing a good job of belonging out on the floor.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

At the game tonight, it was the second unit's D that was really superb. Everyone's D was great, but they really shut down Chicago in the 2nd, and I definitely saw real good D plays by Jones. The can be a real good guard, and his shot will come.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see Freddy as the combo guard of the future, and it makes me feel good to hear (haven't seen a game in Feb) that he's doing a good job of belonging out on the floor.
    Agreed.

In fact, I guess it's time for me to go on the record as saying that I didn't think Freddy would get a chance to shine, with the depth at PG and Artest and yes, even Bender, often sliding in as backups at SG. I said, "What the heck, he'll never play. Use him as fodder in a trade to improve the roster."

I was wrong. I was very wrong.

You know how you go to work, and your day isn't complete if you don't happen to see a particular coworker? Maybe that coworker just always has a smile or an encouraging word.

That's what kind of player Freddie has become for me. A game isn't complete unless I get to watch Freddie on the court for several minutes. You can talk about his defensive abilities, but they've always been there. I have enjoyed his gradual improvement over the course of the season.... his ability to slash and the willingness he now has to step up and take the perimeter shot. He seems to pick up confidence week by week.

I think Freddie is a keeper. I just hope we are able to keep him away from the Bobcats.

As for the combinations of Freddie and AJ, I like what they bring to the table. First of all they flat out take care of the basketball. Their turnovers are no worse than the starting tandem of Reggie and Tinsley. Secondly, they bring something a little different to the table to mix things up a little. AJ can hit the perimeter and mid-range shot the same as the starters, but Freddie brings his athleticism and can explode to the basket. Of course, there's the defensive pressure that they bring.

It's a strange season. Our original starter, Kenny, suddenly finds himself the odd-man out and is more likely to be traded than any of the other guards.

I don't think Kenny will be traded purely because of his experience we can use for postseason, though I don't know if the team needs him...we have enough as it is.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo

I would like to see Kenny get some backup minutes to see what he can bring to the table. But I have to admit that AJ is playing way better than he had been.

He does not seem to loose the lead imediatly on coming into the game anymore. I thought he had lost it the other night but pulled it out so that was good.

The thing is Kenny came durring garbage time and scored like 6 or 8 points and dished out several good passes. Of course he was passing to Bender so nothing happened but they were good passes.

I would think a championship caliber team would love to have Kenny for the playoffs as an insurance policy in case someone gets injured.

Oh wait a minute, the Pacers are a championship caliber team.

kenny is not going anywhere. His cotnract expires at the end of this season and he only makes 1.3 million

Sports Logo

You know with Fed playing so well that Mucks up the whole who to protect thing once again. I think the Pacers are going to have to give the Charlotte team a draft pick to stay away from the Pacer players.

Give the Bobcats a first round draft pick. it will be a low pick anyways and the pacers will have to sign the pick for three years.

Sports Logo

I agree UB I hope they go for it. Frankly I want to see what this team can do not just this year but for years to come. I really want to see Al, Ron, Jermaine, Tins, and possibly Fred stay together for many years I think we would be in for some exciting playoff runs for several years to come.

P.S. I would like to see what those guys together could do on the court right now.

Tins
    Fred
    Ron
    Al
    Jermaine

I know there have been times when they were on the floor together but not a lot. Fred is usually in with AJ. I would just like to see that lineup against the starters from another team for say 6 to 8 minutes to see how it goes.